'When Did EC Jump The Shark?''

Pretty self-explanatory
Paul B

'When Did EC Jump The Shark?''

Post by Paul B »

In case you're interested, colourful debate currently raging on Word Magazine site:

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/w ... k#comments

As you were.
Poor Deportee

Re: 'When Did EC Jump The Shark?''

Post by Poor Deportee »

:lol:

What they really mean is: when did Elvis Costello stop looking/acting/sounding exactly like he did for the first ten years of his career?

As it happens, I agree that EC was decidedly adrift for more of the 1990s, reaching his nadir in the dismal 'return' to his supposedly staple sound with WIWC. Many of his genre excursions were more admirable than compelling - mostly, I believe, because they lacked anything like the distinctive writer's voice and viewpoint that characterize his best work; it's as though he were so piously following the rules of each idiom that he systematically denied his own unique strengths (wordplay, incisiveness, perverse wit).

And it seems equally clear to me that the EC of the past decade has yielded a better fusion of musical exploration and distinctive point of view.

Ultimately, I find it a shame that so many listeners - not just EC's listeners - fail to see the appeal of following a performer through the various turns and twists of his entire career. Indeed, band after band faces this problem of fans who just freeze their first few years in amber and have no interest at all in anything they've done thereafter. Often taken as evidence that the performer has declined (and some artists do decline, of course - c.f. Paul McCartney after about 1970), it in fact has more to do with people for whom music is a sort of life-accessory rather than something truly vital: they really only listened when they were young and now just carry the same musical carcasses around with them as nostalgia pieces that recall their youth.

Yet as everyone on this board knows, there is a tremendous pleasure to be had from an ongoing journey, over the course of a lifetime, with a dynamic and vital artist. Imagine having 'given up' on The Beatles after Revolver, or Dylan after Self-Portrait - as many people did, using just the same 'jumped the shark' arguments. In fact, there are still people who are oblivious to Dylan's incredible work after 1966. But that's their loss, not Bob's.

Incidentally, this doesn't mean praising or liking everything the artist does - as I just said, I get only muted pleasure out of an entire decade of EC's output. What it means is trusting the artist to repay your listening over the long run. I have a stable of six or seven of these acts I follow, and I've never regretted this approach. I just regret that so many people in any given crowd don't share it.
Last edited by Poor Deportee on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

PD- I would love to preserve your entire post in amber- be capable of hauling it out periodically for its 'refreshing' tonic.

"Ultimately, I find it a shame that so many listeners - not just EC's listeners - fail to see the appeal of following a performer through the various turns and twists of his entire career. Indeed, band after band faces this problem of fans who just freeze their first few years in amber and have no interest at all in anything they've done thereafter. Often taken as evidence that the performer has declined (and some artists do decline, of course - c.f. Paul McCartney after about 1970), it in fact has more to do with people for whom music is a sort of life-accessory rather than something truly vital: they really only listened when they were young and now just carry the same musical carcasses around with them as nostalgia pieces that recall their youth."

The core of your piece needs to be taken to heart by all listeners-and that image of 'a sort of life-accessory' is spot on. Real listeners need an active, evolving and critical engagement with an artist as you attest. And that consists of a lifetime of real listening- good and bad.
Thank you.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

If Elvis ever jumped the shark, I think he clearly jumped back not long after
Last edited by SoulForHire on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
History History

Post by History History »

Elvis is the shark. End of.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

If 'jump the shark' means the moment where he reached his high point and the line on the graph wouldn't quite hit that peak or match that ascension, I could see an argument for IB. That first stretch of albums in that short of time at that level of quality is nuts, and it perhaps has spoiled many as he never did anything quite like that again. However, if records like KoA or B&C or ATUB or NR can come out post-shark jump, I'll reframe the question as, "who care?"
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

There has been a lot of genuine if sometimes qualified support for him in the thread as it's gone on and it's interesting to hear some of the civilians views as to when they feel he's been on top of his game - or not.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Oh,man, someone help... I'm totally bored. Jump the shark? What? signed "clueless,bored, and not interested" (sorry)
migdd

Post by migdd »

I think some of EC's early fans jumped the shark actually.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Never heard of "Jump the shark". I'm an American idiot. Anyone that did "jump the shark" on EC's music must be married with kids and no longer care about music. It's like the folks that attend his shows just to hear the hits. Weak. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the jump the shark term? Dont know other than knowing I'm officially brain dead right now.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

MOJO wrote:Never heard of "Jump the shark". I'm an American idiot. Anyone that did "jump the shark" on EC's music must be married with kids and no longer care about music. It's like the folks that attend his shows just to hear the hits. Weak. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the jump the shark term? Dont know other than knowing I'm officially brain dead right now.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... he%20shark

jump the shark

a term to describe a moment when something that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality and popularity.

Origin of this phrase comes from a Happy Days episode where the Fonz jumped a shark on waterskis. Thus was labeled the lowest point of the show.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Ah genius, a phrase more idiotic than me. A Happy Days episode? Seriously? Give me a break. Another win for pop
culture. Lovely. Seems like this thread has jumped the shark, yes? Wee, that is such a cool phrase. I don't know why these kind of phrases get under my skin, they just do. I'll shut up now. Thanks.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

MOJO wrote:Ah genius, a phrase more idiotic than me. A Happy Days episode? Seriously? Give me a break. Another win for pop
culture. Lovely. Seems like this thread has jumped the shark, yes? Wee, that is such a cool phrase. I don't know why these kind of phrases get under my skin, they just do. I'll shut up now. Thanks.
It gets worse. Here's a website devoted to TV shows and their assorted JTS moments:

http://www.tvguide.com/jumptheshark
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

Isn't the phrase "nuked the fridge" now?
caliban10

Post by caliban10 »

The Delivery Man