Elvis/'Spinning , UK tour , May 2012

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Elvis/'Spinning , UK tour , May 2012

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Weird then that you only have 0.5. Perhaps you're just always late coming to them! I was always under 1 using Bit Torrent (I think that was the actual app name), and in fact it was always decreasing, I could never seed as much as I downloaded, now it's never a problem. I don't download much as I know I'll never listen to it all, and indeed I still have scores of unlistened to or barely listened to things, whereas really you want to play them as soon as you get them and then decide whether they're worth keeping or just ditching (apart from the FLAC files to keep the ratio up!). Ratio has been close to or slightly above 2 for months.

I've found a good new way to listen to them, though, thereby deciding what 'status' to give them. I convert into iTunes which means they sync with my internet radio, and then I can play them in the kitchen, where a lot of my listening happens. Only a few will then make it to uncompressed CD files if they're really special, e.g. a gig I attended or a really good audience or FM recording. Others will be played a few times and then ditched, others will be kept as part of an MP3 archive.

Sorry, going well and truly off topic here. Yay, Elvis is coming to England!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Top balcony wrote:
The imposter wrote:Looks like I may have to dust off my passport for this UK tour. . Liverpool would be nice (Colin?) Just wonderin' who's attending & where for a meet up???..
Hope you can make it to the People's Republic, so far at the Liverpool show we have me, Sulky, John, Olivers1, and Death...

Looks like we should arrange to be in Dr Duncan's ahead of the show.

Colin Top Balcony
I'll probably settle for Glasgow and Liverpool in the hope there are more European dates in June or July. Would be great to meet up with board members at either of these shows...
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I was away last week and had to order tickets on my iphone in unfamiliar surroundings - stressful!
However managed to get:
RAH first date flat floor row 7
Bristol row G
Cambridge standing
Happy with that...........
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Ad. from todays Sunday Times ( London) for next May's UK tour ; thanks to Verbal for sending me this. It's not in the Irish edition of the 'Times.

Pigalle

Post by Pigalle »

johnfoyle wrote:Ad. from todays Sunday Times ( London) for next May's UK tour ; thanks to Verbal for sending me this. It's not in the Irish edition of the 'Times.

Seems to be missing a date :D
Otis Westinghouse

Was in the Guardian Guide too.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Surprisingly, the UK leg of the Revolver tour is previewed in the November edition of Sixtyplussurfers, the online magazine for the over-sixties, alongside interviews with Chris De Burgh and Susan Boyle.

Elvis Costello Reinvents The Wheel! 2012 'Revolver' Spring UK Tour

Elvis Costello will bring the ‘Spectacular Spinning Songbook’ to the UK and Ireland in May 2012. Opening on the 9th in Dublin, the tour concludes in Basingstoke on the 27th of May.

An overture of five uninterrupted rock and roll tunes announces Elvis Costello & the Imposters to the stage, after which members of the audience are invited to spin a gigantic vaudevillian wheel and select the next song.

Fortune may deliver hits such as ‘Oliver’s Army’, ‘Everyday I Write The Book’ and ‘Watching The Detectives’ or land on a ‘Jackpot’ selection such as ‘Time’ and ‘Girl’, demanding a sequence of songs, each containing these words.

Such career highlights as ‘Shipbuilding’ or ‘God Give Me Strength’ can spin into view alongside hidden gems from the Costello songbook like, ‘Town Cryer’ or tunes by The Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash and, of course, Bob Dylan’s ‘This Wheel’s On Fire’.

Bolder participants may shake a tailfeather in the Hostage-To-Fortune Go-Go Cage, while the more reserved take a seat in the Society Lounge.

‘The Revolver Tour’ arrives following an acclaimed run of US dates during the Spring and Summer of 2011. Due to popular demand, the tour was extended three times drawing over 10,000 attendees in New York City alone and received rave notices from coast to coast.

Rolling Stone said the show combined, “the kitsch of a game show and lounge act .... when he wasn't singing or slamming at his guitars, Costello worked the stage like a burlesque-club emcee, cracking wise at a mile a minute and spinning a dandy's walking stick.”

Under a by-line, “Singer jams hits, rarities and covers in epic two-and-a-half-hour long show”, another Rolling Stone reported that, “Costello switched from a Fender to a gold Les Paul, howling away and wailing on piercing wah-wah notes. He rocked out even harder to "Uncomplicated," feeding off the energy of a female dancer in the go-go cage shaking maracas.”

The New York Times opined that there was, “no way to keep Mr. Costello’s songs in any shallow entertainment mode. His torrents of words hold desire, rage, wounds and revenge.”

The Los Angeles Times described the show as “the kind of uniquely invigorating experience that warrants a buzzword all of its own; inspiring.”

This acclaim was echoed in review after review:

“Given the gig’s by-pant-seat, chimerical format, Costello’s consummate ability to entertain, his like-wine-aged croon and the band’s master musicianship in meeting him at every step, this was by far one of the most engaging and outright fun shows…” – Nashville Scene

"Unfettered, free-wheeling fun" – Minneapolis Star-Tribune

"The Wheel was the perfect way to shake up a set list with a couple decades' worth of excellent material" – Columbus Dispatch

"Three hours of hilarity, musicality, and unabated joy" – St. Louis Post-Dispatch

"It's hard to imagine any other musician in the world playing the show that Elvis Costello did" – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

“Elvis Costello has the goods to entertain without relying on props, stunts or tricks. But when he does employ them, it actually turns out to be that much better.” – Oakland Free Press

The Imposters are Steve Nieve (keyboards), Pete Thomas (drums) Davey Faragher (bass).

Elvis Costello’s original wheel tour took place in 1986, opening at the Beverly Theatre, Los Angeles with Tom Waits as a guest M.C. and visiting New York, Paris, Stockholm, Rome, before playing for three nights at the Royal Albert Hall.

Elvis Costello donated the original Spinning Songbook wheel to the Hartlepool Museum of Showbusiness Machinery but this new one has been reconstructed from the original blueprints.

It's going to be a fantastic show. Make sure you get your tickets quickly!

http://www.sixtyplusurfers.co.uk/music.html

WIthout wishing to be ageist, and heaven knows Elvis has always sought to appeal to a wide musical audience, I am surprised to see him promoted here alongside De Burgh and the Westlife Greatest Hits album. I guess this might help sell tickets for the Bournemouth show...

Nominations are now open for other items for inclusion in the Hartlepool Museum of Showbusiness Machinery, where they can take their place alongside the conveyor belt from "The Generation Game", the cross bow from "The Golden Shot" and the original Dusty Bin from "3-2-1".

MOOT

And before you ask, this came up as a google result, whilst i was searching for something else....
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

Phew! Removing lots of other commitments from the diary has meant delaying purchase of tickets until now. Have got to say am most impressed the www.bookingsdirect.com site mentioned on the posters and www.elviscostello.com found three close to the front of the circle tickets at Manchester for me. Woohoo!

See Tickets and Ticketline sites said call the venue, and Ticketmaster only has then near the back of the circle
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

The Royal Albert Hall is selling much better than I expected not many tickets left bar the restricted view tickets near the top.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

'Extra Elvis Costello tickets released for Birmingham'

http://counteract-magazine.com/2012/03/ ... irmingham/
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Just wanted to share that I'm going to see Elvis at London Royal Albert Hall in may 24th \o/ \o/ \o/

Yeah, that's right, if Mohammed will not go to the mountain... :roll:
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

I sympathise & I know how you feel Natasha! I'm taking in Glasgow & Liverpool, traveling from Canary Islands. Hoping for more Spanish dates in June. Must say South American dates are overdue, and I'm not referring to Florida :wink:
Pigalle

Post by Pigalle »

johnfoyle wrote:'Extra Elvis Costello tickets released for Birmingham'

http://counteract-magazine.com/2012/03/ ... irmingham/
I like the way the Symphony Hall website describes them as "Loud - close to speakers"!
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

The imposter wrote:I sympathise & I know how you feel Natasha! I'm taking in Glasgow & Liverpool, traveling from Canary Islands. Hoping for more Spanish dates in June. Must say South American dates are overdue, and I'm not referring to Florida :wink:
Good to hear that! I wanted to attend more dates in UK but I decided to do this trip too late and most of the tickets were already sold out :(. Actually it's not 100% certain yet because I'm still searching for acomodation in London but I'm probably going to see him in Hamburg as well (I'll get this man no matter the costs may be!).

About the South American dates, I just got tired of waiting. Also, the tickets here in Brazil are really expensive. I saw Morrissey last week for R$400 - about 170 euro - and the cheaper tickets to Dylan next month cost R$500! So, 40 euro is really a bargain for me so I decided to take the risk. :) And if everything goes right, as a bonus, I will see London. :) This is something that I'm really looking forward to.

Last FM
krm

Post by krm »

This sounds great. I am going to the Glasgow and Hamburg shows myself. The rescheduled shows from Nov 2011 did not include Malmö, so........
Otis Westinghouse

Natasha wrote:I saw Morrissey last week for R$400 - about 170 euro
God that's expensive. Was it worth it? Were the band wearing their now famous 'We hate WIlliam and Kate' t-shirts as in Argentina?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ntina.html

Did you see New Order when they played? They did two dates in Rio late last year, wow! Here's a great clip of a true classic from São Paulo:

Can't wait till May. New Order and Elvis in the same month. So much of my life's listening and musical history tied up in those two gigs, from 15 (going back to Joy Division) through to 47.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Natasha wrote:I saw Morrissey last week for R$400 - about 170 euro
God that's expensive. Was it worth it? Were the band wearing their now famous 'We hate WIlliam and Kate' t-shirts as in Argentina?
It was definitely worth it! I was so close to the stage that I could see the blue of Morrissey's eyes. Some of my favorite songs were missing but I understand that he's tired of playing "Suedhead" (I don't forgive him for "That's How People Grow Up", though) but it was a perfect setlist anyway (it only could be longer).

The band were wearing yellow underwear only, except for the guitar player who was dressed like a Drag Queen or smth. (Some photos here) Coincidentally, Prince Harry was in town too and Morrissey said: "He's here to take your money. Don't give it to him" followed by applause.

Yes, it was expensive but the tickets I bought were the most expensive, nearest to the stage. There were cheaper options. What disturbs me is that the cheapest tickets to Bob Dylan cost much more than that. And people will surely pay.

I didn't saw New Order. I don't remember why, probably because it was expensive (and with so many bands coming to town we have to choose carefully who we are going to see).
krm wrote: This sounds great. I am going to the Glasgow and Hamburg shows myself. The rescheduled shows from Nov 2011 did not include Malmö, so........
That's great! Hope we meet there. I also hope that he stops by to talk to the fans aftershow. I hope I spin the Wheel too but maybe that's too much hope.

Last FM
Otis Westinghouse

Wow, that's some Mozzer setlist. 6 out of 19 are Smiths ones! Not aware of him playing Meat is Murder (I take it he didn't follow my example and eat at the wonderful Porcao in Rio whilst there!!!) solo before, nor the magnificent Please, Please, Please. I did see Still Ill (around the time of the you tube clip of a TV performance linked to on your setlistfm link).

Good photos. Yellow underwear indeed! Good job Moz wasn't dressed like that. What about Boz Boorer? Was he also there? Doesn't quite have the physique of the boys in the photos. Interesting gold nail varnish in the photo where he's making hand contact with you and your friends.

Funnily enough Kristeen Young was support at the abovementioned gig (King's Lynn Corn Exchange, capacity 800 or something, hell of a venue to see Moz), and I was underwhelmed. Moz must really rate her to have her support him in Brazil and presumably elsewhere too.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Not aware of him playing Meat is Murder (I take it he didn't follow my example and eat at the wonderful Porcao in Rio whilst there!!!)
I think you made the right choice, Otis. Porcão has the best steak in town. :p

And now it's official: I'm going to London! Yay!

As you guys know, I have tickets to see him in May 24. If anyone out there have an extra ticket to the first concert please let me know.

Last FM
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Natasha wrote: As you guys know, I have tickets to see him in May 24. If anyone out there have an extra ticket to the first concert please let me know.
There seem to be some restricted view tickets and the odd single in the circle still available from the venue website here:

http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/ ... 25247.aspx

Also some sensibly priced tickets here:

http://www.double8tickets.com/concert/4 ... ckets.html

I have no commercial relationship with this agency, but have used them before and found them to be reliable. They have an office on Charing Cross Road in London, where you can pick up tickets (for instance).

Hopefully we will see you at both nights.

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Natasha

Post by Natasha »

One month. OMG! \o/ \o/ \o/

and thanks for the tip, MOOT. This agency have awesome seats indeed and in a quite good price. Many thanks.

Last FM
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I want My Little Blue Window on the Rainbow Jackpot slot and St Stephens Day Murders for the Crime And Punishment slots by the time they reach the UK !!!