Next arcive release

Pretty self-explanatory
limeyfan

Next arcive release

Post by limeyfan »

Does anyone know when it is due and what it will be...something from 1979 I guess...PinkPop?
johnfoyle

Re: Next arcive release

Post by johnfoyle »

Poor sales combined, perhaps, with Elvis' dissing of these releases suggest that this series is yet another 'fine idea at the time' but is now a 'brilliant mistake' ie. they're history.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

John, sure you're right.

Pity really, since the right rarities, properly marketed and appropriately priced, could have had us all reaching for our wallets and been (quite) successful

Incidentally, I'd be interested to know what the break even point is on releases which are already "in the can". Sure someone on the Board will have the numbers on this?

Colin Top Balcony
cwr

Post by cwr »

I'd say that while this specific series might be done with, we haven't heard the last of EC live shows being released. My guess is that, at some point, EC will start making shows available for paid download. Or maybe he'll make limited edition releases like Rhino Handmade does.

This series blew it by releasing concerts that were too similar to one another (counting the "deluxe editions" bonus discs, too), and stuff like El Mocambo that most fans already had. They should have started with something really exciting and put out one or two that nobody had ever bootlegged before...
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Yep, there are only so many versions of Mystery Dance, Less Than Zero and Detectives that a fan can take! Those years had already been raked over many, many times in previous releases - I was so looking forward to concerts from Get Happy! onwards - but they never materialised.

It's a shame the series faltered, as they were well made packages that I would've continued with. Ah, well...
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

cwr wrote:My guess is that, at some point, EC will start making shows available for paid download. Or maybe he'll make limited edition releases like Rhino Handmade does.
This series blew it by releasing concerts that were too similar to one another...
I've been saying he should do the direct route for years. But he seems determined to stick with the record industry; that way he always has someone else to blame when they don't sell millions.

So far I've been most excited about the Hollywood High show. Simply because it's not as similar as the Deluxe bonus discs and Mocambo. My guess is that Hollywood High would have been the bonus disc for the Hip-O Deluxe Armed Forces, had it happened.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Like Neil, I was particularly looking forward to the Get Happy deluxe edition or the equivalent 1980 love concert release. My guess would have been "Factory Act" at the Hope And Anchor May 1980. It was a day of industrial action in London and a fellow undergraduate tipped me off so I headed out from my Highbury digs to attend and - no buses, no tubes and not enough money for a taxi. If I'd known then what i know now !!!
The alternative possibilities would have been Heatwave, from the only show across the pond that year (but too often bootlegged) or more excitingly, one of the UK shows from the remoter areas of the UK - what price a recording of Matlock, Cromer, Llanelli, Wakefield, Dunfermline or Swindon ?
Last edited by sulky lad on Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

At least as of earlier this year, the next releases were supposed to be shows at the Royal Albert Hall and the Royalty Theatre.

The lack of any recent news isn't promising for the future of the series, but it's possible that additional releases have merely been delayed to avoid competing with National Ransom and Pomp & Pout.
limeyfan

Post by limeyfan »

Oh God, I hope they haven't stopped releasing them....I agree with the consensus on here in that they were just getting to the interesting part.....we all have too many similar official and unofficial great quality 1977/ 78 shows & if they have blown the series by releasing too many similar shows only the uber fan will buy it is a real shame.

We probably all have Austin '83 and Royalty '86 and other excellent sounding later shows BUT for me his performing sweet spot was 1979 - 82, when I started going to gigs......I have good Pink Pop Bethlehem '79, Hope & Anchor and Heatwave '80 and even a half decent Royal Albert Hall bootleg but I want to hear these and others in top quality. The sets were changing all the time as the records came flooding out.

We must petition the label or something to convince them the RIGHT releases have a market, at the right price. How do we do that?

Even the price is irrelevant to a certain extent. Who is going to be bothered if you pay £10 or £15 or even £17.50 for that great show properly recorded you have been waiting to be released for 30 years. I would pay £20 or £25, the same as a 2CD booleg would cost back in the good old record fair days!

Help! We were so close to getting what we wanted for decades!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Hang on! There's no official word of the releases being canned is there? I would also like to think that the reason for no real activity is the other things going on in Elvis' life at the moment together with his expected appearance at my daughter's 3rd birthday party on Saturday.

As a fan who's seen Elvis a couple of times in concert and bought one or two records I haven't bought these live concerts. My sentiments are that there isn't anything new to entice me for the price. I'll probably buy them when they're at a bargain price but for the moment there are plenty of other albums to spend my money on.

And lastly, we should all know by now to expect the unexpected where Elvis is concerned...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

Ps archive has an "h" in it!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Pedant
verbal gymnastics

Pendant has 2 "n" in it! :lol:
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

I think you mean "2 'n's". ;)
verbal gymnastics

The subtlety of my joke was lost...
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Not for the first time - "Pump It Up" - RFH 2001 :roll:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Pendant has 2 "n" in it! :lol:
Oh my aching sides!

You've (in the last century when we traded cassettes) criticised my handwriting, now my spelling. Are you Mr Battesby of St Margaret's C of E High School for Boys, circa 1966, hiding under a nom de plume?

Keep smilin'

Colin TB
verbal gymnastics

Sorry CTB. No offense entendered :lol:

And as for you sulky lad, I think you'll find that the Pump It Up gag was one of the finest pieces of comic timing you will ever hear! A bit like my singing (which you will no doubt remind me of on Saturday). :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Colin TB said
You've (in the last century when we traded cassettes) criticised my handwriting, now my spelling. Are you Mr Battesby of St Margaret's C of E High School for Boys, circa 1966, hiding under a nom de plume?
You've blown it now, Colin, we all assumed you were a proper Quarry Bank lad ! Another scouse image goes down the pan ( much like the champions league prospect of your 2nd favourite team on Merseyside haha!!)
As for VG - I only want the whole forum to hear Dark End Of the Street, Bournemouth 2004 - and earn their sympathy !
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Pendant has 2 "n" in it! :lol:
was this comment germane?

- sulky yes sorry, my school was Approved.Other famous scholars include Mike Newell and Gary Ablett.

Colin TB