North is a Masterpiece

Pretty self-explanatory
Pov

Post by Pov »

bambooneedle wrote:If it's the sometimes tense and busy instrumentation on TJL that bothers you, that's not how North strikes me at all. But nor is it really much like PFM... The vocals dominate and are not even loud. The instruments do their job but don't attract too much attention to themselves.
I swear, it sounds more like Frank Sinatra's "The Voice - The Columbia Years" than anything Elvis has done.
Last edited by Pov on Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

COPE: I dont like jazz and I didnt think much of this album on its first listening. It seemed plodding and boring just like Rope thinks. But I was determined to give it a fair go and played it half a dozen times. The more I played it the more I liked it - Each time a new song jumped out at me. I love the album!

So I say buy it and dont give it a rating until you have heard it at least 6 times.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

I stand by my original post. This album will be perceived as a classic years from now. Unlike PFM and TJL, which I also adore, but feel to a certain extent that they were calculated experiments in style, this album comes purely from the heart. These songs had to be written.

I truly believe it will go down as one of his best.

I, do, however, find that a cocktail or ten very late at night with the lights turned low will help the listener find the comfort zone with this album.

And no, it's probably not something you're going to Jazzercise to.
Uncomplicated

Post by Uncomplicated »

This record is growing on me with each listen. I knew it was going to be slow, so I was ready for it. As for Elvis never Rocking again, I don't think I could take that. :D
It's in your eyes..... It's in your eyes.....
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I love classical and Jazz as well. But North is still going to have to grow on me. I already like it better than any of his other non-rock experiments. I think it will become one I reach for once and a while when I am in the right mood.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

thanks for all of your responses....for me the key is MELODY

PFM is mellow and a little bit cheesy at times, but the mellodies are quirky and grow on you.....and the singing is rich.

TJL was just weird ...I couldn't get into the mellodies at all, except for Jackson's Munk and Rowe....which I think is a cool song...but otherwise, I couldn't name one other song ón the album...I never listened to it more than 3 times it was so lousy. To be honest, I find beauty and greatness in every other Elvis CD there is...so North has to be pretty bad for me to not like it.....you guys should check out John Foyle's thread where I have translated a Danish review of NOrth.....they hate it. But then again, anyone who questions Elvis' singing style does not really know anything about Elvis and can't apreciate his talent.
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

Cope, definitely give TJL a re-listen. Sad Burlesque, The Birds will still be Singing, among others, have wonderful melodies, among his best.
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

And while I'm at it, the melodies on North are twisting, turning, and truly origiinal, and gain ground with every listen.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

TJL and North are fantastic. Both require more than a couple of listens. North especially requires a good bit of attention but its definitely worth it.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."