"The Judgement" - The Opera , UK '09?

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

"The Judgement" - The Opera , UK '09?

Post by johnfoyle »

John H. posts to listserv-

During the intro to "The Judgement" at a concert in Germany on Tuesday, Solomon Burke reveals:

"This is one of my favorite songs, that we've been working on now for
almost two years to turn into an opera, and with the help of the young
man who wrote this song, I think we're going to do it next year. It's
going to be a fantastic live opera, out of London, England with Jools
Holland, Eric Clapton, and Elvis Costello and myself.

mp3s here:
intro to The Judgement -- http://www.mediafire.com/?dmyzoeq2not
The Judgement -- http://www.mediafire.com/?njtmztmtlzn
sweetest punch

Re: "The Judgement" - The Opera , UK '09?

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote:John H. posts to listserv-

During the intro to "The Judgement" at a concert in Germany on Tuesday, Solomon Burke reveals:

"This is one of my favorite songs, that we've been working on now for
almost two years to turn into an opera, and with the help of the young
man who wrote this song, I think we're going to do it next year. It's
going to be a fantastic live opera, out of London, England with Jools
Holland, Eric Clapton, and Elvis Costello and myself.

mp3s here:
intro to The Judgement -- http://www.mediafire.com/?dmyzoeq2not
The Judgement -- http://www.mediafire.com/?njtmztmtlzn
WOW!!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

How do you turn a song into an Opera? That would need more songs, lots more songs.

Here are Solomon and EC.

Here are Eric Clapton, Solomon and Jools Holland.

Clapton has contributed a couple of songs to Burke's most recent album. Following the "triumph" that was WTTV, Let's hope there's no talk of involving St*ng!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

How do you turn a song into an Opera? That would need more songs, lots more songs.
The Judgement is a 'sequel' to 'The Price ', a Burke song.

https://www.harpmagazine.com/reviews/cd ... le_id=1665

Harp
, Sep/Oct 2002

(extract)

One of Burke’s favorite moments came when it was time to record “The Judgment,” the song written by Elvis Costello and his wife, former Pogue Cait O’Riordan. “We’re sitting in the studio, it’s the third day, and they said, ‘Well, we gotta get to some of the heavy stuff now.’ And I said, ‘Okay, where’s the heavy stuff, because all the rest of it’s been great so far.’ So they walk in with this Elvis Costello song. And as we’re listening to the demo, it was like a movie: Elvis Costello walks into the studio, with an entourage!” Costello thought they had already recorded the song, which is a dramatic courtroom showstopper, but instead he ended up teaching it to Burke.

“He sat down and sang the song to me,” Burke recounts, “and he says, ‘This is the way we wrote it and we wrote it for you, and we wrote it with a lot of different things in mind. We wrote it, number one, because we believe in the song you had called ‘The Price’ many years ago [Burke wrote and recorded “The Price” in 1964]. We thought that this would be like the answer to ‘The Price,’ for the lyric ‘wisdom of life that you lived all these years’-five decades of music, since 1954 I’ve been recording, and that’s a long time- and he says, ‘This is the judgment, this is the judgment, this is the time.’ And I mean, like with tears in my eyes, I’m saying, ‘Man, thank you, you know, thank you.’
And he gets on the cell phone and calls his wife and says, ‘I’m sitting here with Solomon Burke!’ And I’m saying, ‘sign my autograph, man!’ [laughs] And they were freaking out. Just the fact that we were both in the room with one another was such a beautiful thing. And he sat there for eight hours with us, man, until like two in the morning, just grooving with the tracks and hanging out and talking. I was so honored, so very much honored for him to be there. That was one of the highlights of the session.”

If this is a actual project, it's interesting that Cait O'Riordan is a co-writer of the song. Surely she would have imput. Elvis 'n Cait 'working' together - who'd have thought?
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

As well as us buyers, someone else has lost it - hopefully Beckham-DPAM will recover.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Great story from Solomon Burke.

Interesting project.

Opera's not really my cup of tea but...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?