Elvis's plans - 2008/2009

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Elvis's plans - 2008/2009

Post by Neil. »

Hi all,

With the new TV show coming out this autumn/winter, Elvis is going to get exposure he hasn't had in a long time.

I'm hoping he releases the T-Bone Burnett album at the same time, in time for the Christmas market - that it will sell in the same kind of way the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss 'elder statesman' smash did last year.

I reckon he should also tour solo, in the UK, at around this time - January at the latest - solo, with acoustic guitar, which is probably the most powerful way for these new Elvis fans to get into him, live.

I'm just a bit worried about the Brodsky Quartet stuff - if he uses that as his first live outing after the TV show, new fans are going to be very perplexed and disappointed by the arty (though heartfelt, of course) Brodsky stuff, which doesn't show off his voice as well as the less mannered, more powerful rock/pop stuff.

How do the rest of you think Elv should capitalise on the exposure the new TV show will afford him?
martinfoyle

Re: Elvis's plans - 2008/2009

Post by martinfoyle »

Elvis is so contrary it's impossible to predict what he'll do next. The only thing that's definite is he'll do what he wants to do, he's one of the few artists who seems to have complete autonomy these days. My prediction: a Flip City re-union tour of working man clubs and pubs, with hopefully a night or 2 at Whelans. Stranger things do and have happened.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I just hope he takes this chance to reach out to a much bigger audience, and doesn't put them off with any stroppiness.

It pains me that his amazing, thrilling, heartbreaking, startling etc. songs are not more widely known, and I have everything crossed for this next six months as being the one where things could really take off for him again.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

martinfoyle wrote:My prediction: a Flip City re-union tour of working man clubs and pubs, with hopefully a night or 2 at Whelans. Stranger things do and have happened.
Oh yeah? I'm predicting a Rusty reunion produced by Billy Sherrill at Wisseloord Studios, with guest appearances by Daryl Hall, Sy Richardson, and Afrodiziak.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm predicting the reunion of The Attractions or a UK tour. I reckon the former is most likely :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
migdd

Post by migdd »

One of two scenarios will probably play out:

1.) Elvis will discover his inner feelings, come out of the closet, break up with Diana and shack up with Bruce Thomas, which will indeed lead to the re-forming of the Attractions, much to the utter confusion of Steve and Pete, not to mention Davey. (verbal, you only got part of the story right. :lol: )

2.) Elvis will release the new accoustic album in the Code format. The new format, the fact that it was produced by T-Bone and the Spectacle tie-in will bring plenty of media attention and respect to EC and his music. Every blog on the internet will sing EC's praises and raise him to the peak of deification. The new album, however, will still not break the Billboard Top 100 for more than a week. Sorry, it just won't.
taramasalata

Post by taramasalata »

Sorry Neil
but I don't get how someone can be that much into Elvis and still thinks, that after more than 30 years in mere dedication of pursuing his own aim and nothing but his aim, one would have to worry about him being the next Sting...come on, are you serious?
In hope that he keeps on being as obstinate as he is known for, so nothing wrong about going on tour with the Brodskys.....or Daryl Hall! (Excellent singer by the way...)
verbal gymnastics

migdd wrote:1.) Elvis will discover his inner feelings, come out of the closet, break up with Diana and shack up with Bruce Thomas, which will indeed lead to the re-forming of the Attractions,
and a much anticipated update of The Big Wheel...
migdd wrote: much to the utter confusion of Steve and Pete, not to mention Davey.

...who then form a love triangle
migdd wrote:(verbal, you only got part of the story right. :lol: )
So it would appear :lol:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Hi Taramasalata,

It just bugs me that so many shite, boring artists have songs that the whole world knows, yet Elvis has virtually none.

Some of the world knows 'She' cos of Notting Hill - not a proper Elvis song, and a one of his worst recordings, really. The UK population born before about 1990 know Oliver's Army. But so many of his songs deserve to be standards - and not just among 'musos' but by the general public.

I'd love it if his songs were globally successful - I've never been one who thinks you become less cool the more popular you are - if the songs are great, the songs are great - and they deserve to be heard!
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

I don't get it either.I've been a fan for 30 plus years. I've tried like hell and done my part by trying to introduce his music to as many people a possible.By and large I've been met with a lot of indifference and resistance.Don't get me wrong,I've created a few converts along the way.But a lot of the people don't seem to get him personally,let alone his music.He just seems to leave them cold.Me, I enjoy even his less stellar pieces( and we know what they are, don't we)more than most artists best work. Whatever he chooses to do the next year or so will either be something different or a twist on something he's done before.
taramasalata

Post by taramasalata »

Hi Neil and Chickendinna
of course I know what you are writing about, I've recorded quite a few of "Learning Elvis in 90 minutes"-tapes and CDs over the years to a bunch of people and....well did convince some of them, so what's it's all about? it's about music and it does affect some people and others it doesn't, easy as it is, in its essence, like all art, it's a very personal thing, so let's forget about all hit lists (with "Dark side of the moon" or "Exile on Main Street" on top) and wishes about a better (as to say a more E.C.-worshipping) world and enjoy the very unique work he has created over the years! A work that wouldn't have happended if it wasn't him, with all his twists, contradictions and stubbornness, this is HIM.
blooch

Post by blooch »

A live album wouldnt go amiss. After all we have been waiting many a year for one. Would be good to hear also some of the old stuff with a bit of pedal steel involved what with me being a bit of a country rocker. Or a colaboration with Graham Parker would be just amazing. Im dreaming on.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

with Diana in Europe from mid September through November, a European tour looks likely..But what will it be? Sugarcanes? Imposters? Solo? Brodskys? Or something else..You can never be sure
verbal gymnastics

I doubt it'll be the Brodskys and I wouldn't have though it would be the Sugarcanes given Elvis' comments to me at the Barbican. Unless someone is going to stump up the cost!

When I asked him about a UK tour he said he only had two shows booked with the Imposters and that he was booked until September. I was going to say that still left October, November and December but didn't. I'd like to think he knew I knew he wasn't ruling it out!

I think we'll see an Imposters tour - he still hasn't toured Momofuku either.