1,001 Albums You Must Hear

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

1,001 Albums You Must Hear

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Well it's been fun discussing the '1,001 Books' list in the books thread, but did we ever comment on the albums equivalent? I can't recall. It's inevitably going to be even more annoying and divisive, but it's still fun to look at (especially if you're a list-fetishist).

List is here in ascending temporal order (opposite to booklist)

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/stevepar ... albums.htm

For those of you who like it in Excel, here it is, though annoyingly without the separate parts in their own column:

http://www.babygotbooks.com/2006/11/10/1001-albums/

Less significant to say who many of these you have heard as it might have been once in a friend's car and so what? But feel free, anyway! Personally I'd split it into 'own' and 'have heard'.
Last edited by Otis Westinghouse on Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Re: 1,001 ALbums You Must Hear

Post by BlueChair »

A bit of an odd list, to be sure. I was careful not to include albums I hadn't heard from start to finish. For example, I love Booker T. & The MGs "Green Onions" but I couldn't name you a single other track off the album of the same name.

After all is said and done, I counted 229 of these albums in my LP or CD collection, with an additional 49 titles that I had heard through friends or family over the years. Frankly I'm pretty happy with that list and didn't notice more than a few dozen that made me think "Hm, I should really check out this record."
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Interesting list. Looking through it, I don't own a ton, but have heard probably most of the Bowie and Dead stuff on there. There were a few artists I've been meaning to check out on there: Suzanne Vega, Nick Cave, Lloyd Cole (even an album I was thinking about picking up, Rattlesnakes), John Prine, Kraftwerk. Then there are the people who, well, I'll listen to eventually for the same reason I read Sense and Sensibility; you sort of have to, they're classics: Dylan and The Beatles are the ones that come to mind. Of course, it'll wait until I'm out of the house so my pa doesn't gloat; "I told you so" and all that. Of course, I don't think anyone should hear Slipknot, ever. *shudders* But overall, interesting list. I'll probably keep it to refer back to on a few things.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I used the same criteria as Blue did and tried to stick to albums I have actively listened to from start to finish. I didn't designate between stuff I owned and stuff I was familiar with through friends and family and came out at around 275 or so. Fun to look at, and it reminded me of a couple of things I intend to pick up for my collection.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

StrictTime wrote:Lloyd Cole (even an album I was thinking about picking up, Rattlesnakes)
An absolute masterpiece, don't hesitate.

Will check and report on list when time permits!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Re: 1,001 Albums You Must Hear

Post by bambooneedle »

147 I've owned or have heard.