The official website has this:
http://www.elviscostello.com/

10/11/2006
Soldiers Field
Chicago, IL
Elvis will be supporting The Rolling Stones

See also:
http://www.soldierfield.net/default.aspx
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

...and tickets are a snip at US $500.00! Fuck me, I'm there! Maybe not.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I read an article in the paper yesterday about how the shows are not being sold out. I wonder why! :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/news ... S10920.htm

We hear tickets are still available for the World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll band, The Rolling Stones, at their Soldier Field appearance Oct. 11. They won't be cheap. Also on the bill, Elvis Costello and the Imposters.

He plays with the Imposters!! The first and only Imposters performance this year!?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The first and only Imposters performance this year!?
Except for that VH1 thingy , of course!
Adam2

Post by Adam2 »

johnfoyle wrote:
The first and only Imposters performance this year!?
Except for that VH1 thingy , of course!
you do know they played on a 2 month tour, right?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

you do know they played on a 2 month tour, right?
With Allen 'n his Horns , not sepecifically a Imposters show. Thanks for the info., all the same.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2006/1 ... 72c7ed.txt'

Northwest Indiana Times
Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Elvis: King on a smaller scale

BY TIM SHELLBERG
Times Correspondent

While Elvis Costello no longer is the "angry young man" he was when he first aimed true in the late '70s and early '80s, his output over the last several years has been just as rewarding.

His first proper album since 1996's "All This Useless Beauty," 2002's "When I Was Cruel," was a shot in the arm for the artist, who, save for "Painted From Memory," a best-forgotten collaboration with mellow god Burt Bacharach, spent the time between albums M.I.A.

A year later saw "North," a gorgeous chronicle of loves lost and found and everything that "Painted" should've been. Next came "The Delivery Man" in 2004, which found Costello and his backing Imposters embracing American roots music better than they did two decades earlier with "Almost Blue" and hands down his best album in at least a decade.

This year has seen Costello make his way to record-store racks twice: February's "My Flame Burns Blue," an adventurous set, features him performing both his vintage pop and recent classical efforts with the Dutch classical-jazz ensemble Metropole Okrest; even better is June's "The River in Reverse," in which Costello and his Imposters share studio space with New Orleans institution Allen Toussaint and his crew.

Like his "Delivery" two years ago, Costello puts his own stamp on Toussaint's timeless songs, which include "On Your Way Down" and the post-Katrina-appropriate "Who's Gonna Help a Brother Get Further," without bastardizing the source material. And with Toussaint and his crew on board, this "River" becomes all the more magical.

Yet it's a safe bet that the magic from "River," or anything from Costello's catalog past or present, will be lost well before the nosebleeds at Soldier Field Wednesday when he opens for the rock legends-turned-nostalgia-milking money-grubbers known as the Rolling Stones.

And while the joint billing looks good in theory, Costello live has never matched well with the arena setting, and compromising his recent glories for expected favorites in such a setting such as "Allison" or "Pump it Up" won't help matters much.

The Rolling Stones, Elvis Costello, 7 p.m. Wednesday, Soldier Field, 1400 S. Museum Campus Dr., Chicago. $60-$450.

Opinions expressed are solely those of the writer. Tim Shellberg can be reached at T.shellberg@comcast.net.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv-

Just had a shower hot enough to cook a lobster, so the fingers are
sufficiently thawed out to type again--
*Man* it was cold out at Soldier Field tonight! Just a quick post since
it's so late.
EC in a knee-length brown leather coat and brown & cream scarf,
Steve in black leather and a black ski hat,
Davey and Pete in lighter jackets without hats.
A fairly predictable set list with a nice little surprise at the end:

PLU
Red Shoes
Uncomplicated
Radio Radio
The River in Reverse
Chelsea
Clubland
Alison/Tracks of my Tears/Suspicious Minds
Watching the Detectives
Monkey to Man
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
Pump It Up
Take It or Leave It (Stones cover)

The whole upper deck was empty--the show was only about half-sold from
what we heard--unusual for the Stones in Chicago.
Rozy
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A 'Stones forum account ; no mention of Elvis but watch for additions -

http://www.iorr.org/tour05/chicago4.htm

The Rolling Stones
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL, USA
Wednesday October 11, 2006
The set list

1. You Got Me Rocking
2. Live With Me
3. Monkey Man
4. Sway
5. She Was Hot
6. Streets Of Love
7. Midnight Rambler
8. Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
9. You Got The Silver (Keith)
10. Little T&A (Keith)
11. Under My Thumb (to B-stage)
12. Rough Justice
13. Start Me Up
14. Honky Tonk Women (to main stage)
15. Sympathy For The Devil
16. Jumping Jack Flash
17. Satisfaction
18. Brown Sugar (encore)

Review by Rich and Karen Kaczmarek

We had a fleeting thought earlier today. Wouldn't the line in She Was Hot about the cold Chicago night be appropriate. But we thought there was no way the Stones would do something that they have never done before. But they did it and did they ever nail that one. How many others are there like this waiting to be born and enter into the world of the live version.

What a show tonight in Chicago. The crowd stayed warm by dancing and singing all night. Nobody sat down at all in our section, nor anywhere else that we could see. You Got Me Rocking was wonderful as an opener. You Got Me Rocking had fists pumping in the air everywhere. Live With Me and Monkey Man continued the momentum. Mick asked the crowd who was there the last time they did Soldier Field and said that they would change it up from that show. Then we get Sway. Beautiful. Ronnie was very strong on the guitar and a strong vocal from Mick. Far better than the version we saw in Columbus last year.

Then Streets of Love. A real crowd pleaser. Is it the heavy rotation of the of the video on VHI Classic. Song sounds great live. Then the ultimate live song, Midnight Rambler. No dissapointed fans here. A lot of crowd participation. Excellent version of You Got the Silver from Keith without his guitar -- very well sung. Nice work Ronnie. Under My Thumb was a great way to bridge to the center stage. Overall, what a show for Chicago. Thank you Rolling Stones for another visit. Hope to see you again soon, even if it is a cold Chicago night.

Sidenote: We caught the show at Fitgzeralds last night with Nicholas Tremulis and Blondie Chaplan. Both of these guys put out some great solo material and you would think that they have been playing with each other for years if you were at the show. Don't hesitate to give it a listen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... lnorth-hed

Stones fans can bear cold

As rock legends took over Soldier Field, young and old alike were too excited to worry about temperatures in low 40s

By Gerry Doyle
Tribune staff reporter

October 12, 2006

On Wednesday night's triple bill at Soldier Field: The Rolling Stones, Elvis Costello and an unexpected special guest, Old Man Winter.

But the knife-edged, chilling wind and occasional droplets of rain didn't keep away throngs of music fans, who were piling into the stadium hours before opener Costello's first chord. Bundled into layers of Rolling Stones gear, some sipping warm--or warming--beverages, first-timers and veterans of all ages seemed oblivious to the weather as they strode through the gates.

Temperatures plummeted into the low 40s as the sun set. But Rich Kaczmarek, 41, of New Lenox said it wouldn't slow him, and certainly not "the greatest rock `n' roll band in the world."

"You just dress warmly," said Kaczmarek, who was with his wife Karen, 41. "Once people are dancing and having fun, it's nice.... [Mick Jagger is] a great showman. It doesn't matter if it's raining or cold."

Nearby, waiting for his father with his brother and mother, stood Jamie Porter, 11, attending his first concert. Clad in a jacket, hooded sweatshirt, jeans and a Rolling Stones knit cap, he watched his brother Matt, 16, play hacky sack and said he was excited "just to see `em."

"Their dad is a huge Stones fan" who saw his first show at age 14, said the boys' mother Kelly, 45.

He was worried that the band, which started in the early 1960s in London, might not be around much longer. "That's why my husband insisted that [the boys] come. They might break up. Or worse," she said.

Matt Porter--whose ensemble included a Stones T-shirt and boxer shorts, a Doors hoodie and winter coat--said he wasn't worried about watching from inside the chilly, exposed stadium.

"It's a better experience," he said. "You appreciate the music more."

Bill Sincere, 49, of Theresa, Wis., and his son-in-law Steve Froelich, 37, of West Bend, Wis., probably wouldn't have been cold wherever they set up shop.

After parking their mini-van, they fired up a generator, opened the tailgate, strung up Rolling Stones-themed Christmas lights, got the disco ball twirling and blasted Stones classics from a full-sized stereo they brought with them.

On Wednesday, they lucked out, scoring a parking space inside Soldier Field's heated garage. Shouting over Keith Richards' jangling guitar, Sincere explained that neither he nor Froelich were worried about what they'd experience when they ventured outside. The two have been seeing shows together for more than a decade.

"I've got videos where they play in the rain," Sincere said. "If they're willing to play, I'm willing to listen."

----------

gxdoyle@tribune.com
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I arrived in Chicago last evening around 10:40PM for s Symposium I am conducting tonight at the Art Institute of Chicago. The show was just letting out. It was chilly but not frigid by any means. I spoke to many of the fans and in their mind this was all about the Stones...elvis was there okay but the STONES!. The fan base looked more like they were leaving a Bears game, and heavily skewed to male.

I talked to many of the concert-goers in the lpunge and theywere jus happy to see the Stones...and that was as far as I could get. Elvis was, in the minds of the people I caught, an afterthought
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=237986

A cold night at Soldier Field starts up the Stones

By Mark Guarino
Daily Herald Music Critic
Posted Friday, October 13, 2006

Woolly mittens are not rock ’n’ roll. There is nothing glam about snuggly winter scarves. North Face jackets are warm but not, you know, hot.

Yet these were the items Rolling Stones fans — and, come to think about it, the Rolling Stones themselves — were forced to haul out of the hall closet Wednesday when the band played Soldier Field in meat-locker temperatures. The challenge for all involved was to endure what was, “quite frankly,â€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/9 ... 13.article

(extract)

Opening act Elvis Costello and the Imposters were just as freaked out by the weather. Costello wore a long brown leather coat and a huge scarf, while longtime keyboardist Steve Nieve was hunkered down in a ski cap. A cold gale whipped across the stage, and an ashen Costello said, "Now I know why they call it the Windy City."

Costello offered a perfunctory greatest-hits set that included "Radio, Radio," "Alison/Tracks of My Tears/Suspicious Minds" and "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down," where the first few rows were trying to dance despite the fact they were dressed like the Michelin Man. The best was Costello's final song, a minimalist version of the Stones' "Take It or Leave It."
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis supports The Stones

Post by johnfoyle »

I can't find it right now, but Elvis spoke/wrote somewhere about this photo. Apparently the Stones always do a photo with their support act. Elvis's comment was that Mick & Keith were there on time but Charlie & Ron were a bit late and Mick or Keith joked that they were always running late, had been for years etc. , a routine that was clearly practiced.
sulky lad

Re: Elvis & The Imposters supports The Stones, October 2006

Post by sulky lad »

Was the Stones art bootlegged ! There's been no Costello audio available I just wondered if there was an active Stones recording group like for Dylan ( is it Bobcats ?)