Elvis/Allen play Atlanta , July 17

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis/Allen play Atlanta , July 17

Post by johnfoyle »

From listser -

' One other important development from the Atlanta show last night.
Elvis said he and AT would be back July 17th at Chastain Park. I can't
find any ticket information at ticketmaster or the concert maps site.'

Watch this -

http://www.classicchastain.org/calendar.aspx

and

http://www.ticketmaster.com/venue/114766
migdd

Post by migdd »

Whooohoooo!

Not a good date for me but I'm going to work to move the earth to get to this one! :wink:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The Atlanta date is confirmed here:

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/touring_d.aspx?aid=6937

There is also a new date on July 14: They play Blossom Music Center in CUYAHOGA FALLS, Ohio.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Also on in Cuyahoga Falls on that day -

http://cfo.cityofcf.com/website/web2/events.do

Friday July 14, 2006

Touch a Truck

11:00 am - 1:00 pm at Quirk Cultural Center
Want to see a dump truck up close...Or how about a bulldozer? Join us for an up close experience with some big trucks and equipment. All ages welcome. Free! Concessions, face painting and balloons.

ROCKIN' ON THE RIVER
5:00 pm - 11:00 pm at Falls River Square District
Opening Act - Howlin' Cats - A three piece power rock group.
7 p.m. Main Performance - Wild Ave - Returning to Rockin' on the River
Chairman - Bob Earley 330-730-7591
migdd

Post by migdd »

Just scored 3rd row box seats to the Atlanta show!!!

It will be a year almost to the date that Mrs. migdd and I caught E.C. and Emmylou at this very venue in almost the same seats!!

We will be in the middle of a week-long family vacation when we take a break to drive up to Hotlanta for the show. Will post a detailed report upon our return.

:D :D :D
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

I loved the show last year at Chastain Park but unfortunately i haven't the flow to get there this year. Migdd, please give me the details when you get back. 3rd row box.....very nice. Hope it's not as hot as it was last year, omg! Have fun in HOTLANTA :D
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyro ... id%3A96031

Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint

The River in Reverse

BY MOSI REEVES

Published 07.12.06

On The River in Reverse, Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint make a protest record, but the prevailing tone is measured and wistful. Much like Bruce Springsteen's We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions, it's a political declaration mostly sustained by past statements. In this case, it includes several outstanding songs from writer/pianist/producer Toussaint's career: "Freedom for the Stallion," covered by Three Dog Night and Lee Dorsey; and "Nearer to You," a hit for Betty Harris in 1967, among five others. The new songs, though unseasoned by time, are just as barbed. On "Broken Promise Land," Costello sings, "They only claim to be redeemed/They take that name and then blaspheme/It didn't turn out the way we planned/Now we're living in Broken Promise Land."

Costello is often (and sometimes rightly) accused for approaching music with too much calculated reverence. But this outlay of blues, pop and jazz -- performed by Costello and Toussaint alongside Costello's esteemed backing band, the Imposters, and the Crescent City Horns -- sounds right and rich, and bobs along with grace and purpose. 4 stars.

Costello and Toussaint play Chastain Park Amphitheatre Mon., July 17.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I wonder if taz will be there
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I'll be there and will post a detailed report!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

BlueChair wrote:I wonder if taz will be there
I should be drinking a toast to absent friends...

Admittedly I didn't really know Taz but have seen posts in which people have spoken about him with affection. It would be great if there was any way we could find out if he's OK.

Looking forward to your review migdd.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/auto/ ... 30035.html

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

LIVE MUSIC PICKS
Shane Harrison - Staff
Thursday, July 13, 2006

( extract)

WHEN: MONDAY / JULY 17

WHO: Elvis Costello & the Impostors

WHAT: THE ETERNAL RETURN: Wasn't he just here last week? Well, not exactly, but Costello has been here a lot in the past couple of years. This time, he's got a spiffy new album to support, recorded with New Orleans legend Allen Toussaint. Toussaint joins Costello for this show, along with the Crescent City Horns and guitarist Anthony "AB" Brown.

THE 411: 7:30 p.m. $35.50-$53. Chastain Park Amphitheatre, 4469 Stella Drive N.W., Atlanta. 404-249-6400, livenation.com
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Thinking about throwing Doc and the kids in the van and heading to Atlanta in a few hours. . . . . .

Seriously thinking. . . . .
migdd

Post by migdd »

Do it, Spooky!!

There are plenty of orchestra seats left starting in row E - pretty darn good seats!!

Hope to see you there!!! :D
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Okay, I'm on my way. We're loading the van. We'll deal with the tickets on a walkup basis this time - we don't usually do that but we're feeling lucky.

My mobile phone is (256) 683-8533 if anyone else is around and wants to hook up. We're staying in Buckhead just a few miles away. We'll leave the kids in the hotel room with big bowls of food and water and all should be fine. :lol:
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

That's the spirit, Spooky, enjoy. Safe journey.
verbal gymnastics

The perfect spontaneous anniversary present! 8)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Okay, I'm on my way. We're loading the van. We'll deal with the tickets on a walkup basis this time - we don't usually do that but we're feeling lucky.

My mobile phone is (256) 683-8533 if anyone else is around and wants to hook up. We're staying in Buckhead just a few miles away. We'll leave the kids in the hotel room with big bowls of food and water and all should be fine. :lol:
I am so glad you are going!!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Well, we're in Atlanta and Doc just got off the phone with someone local whose number we got from Ebay and he says we got "2 tickets AT A PIT TABLE LOCATED ON THE FRONT ROW OF THE PIT. These are real front row seats. Nothing between you and Elvis but air an music!!!!!!" We'll see. I think he said Table 7. Still got my mobile if any others happen to show.

I can't believe we just loaded the van and did this. It might make the 3 &*#(A&(@#) hours I spent moving 5 miles in Atlanta traffic worth the while. :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Great stuff! Say hello to Elvis for me and ask him if he's coming to England.

Have a great night and I look forward to the report. I hope he plays all of King of America for you!
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Well we have the tickets and they look real. :) Included was a parking pass for the Blue Lot which looks like a very close place to park. According to this

http://www.atlantaconcerts.com/PDFS/Cha ... s_2003.pdf

there are 7 tables across the front so indeed Table 7 is front row!!! It is the farthest table stage right but with only 6 people per table, that's not bad!!!!!

Again, our cellphones are not roaming here and our hotel is only 3 miles from Chastain so if anyone wants to hook up, please call Spooky. Her number is in a previous post.

Don't be bashful. Give us a call.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

well???? :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

HOLY FREAKING COW!!! What a show!! We really had amazing seats - we were so fortunate to sit where we had a fabulous view of Allen playing the keys. The whole show was just so wonderful I just never knew who exactly I was clapping for. The mix of musicians was so incredible, I just didn't want the evening to end.

It was SOOOOOOOOO humid though, and being an outdoor concert made it where when we stood up to clap for a song we had to peel our clothes away from our skin, but I'll never know how Elvis kept a suit on the entire time. :roll:

I'm in the hotel lobby now feeding the kids breakfast and I left the setlist in my room, but I think I managed to get a semi-accurate account. I just sent Rob to the room to get it, so I'll try to start posting it. Wait, never mind. Should have known better than to have sent a boy child to look for something - I had to go to the room and get it myself.

I decided to go to the bathroom for one last call before the show started - more than 20 minutes early - and when I came back Elvis had already taken the stage. I don't know if it was because of the heat or low ticket sales (a real shame) but he started earlier than I've ever seen.

01. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
02. Monkey To Man
03. On Your Way Down
04. A Certain Girl
05. Clown Strike
06. Tears, Tears And More Tears
07. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
08. Poisoned Rose
09. Broken Promise Land
10. Freedom For The Stallion
11. The River In Reverse
12. Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?
13. Nearer to You
14. Feels So Good
15. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
16. Br ickyard Blues
17. Bedlam
18. Watching the Detectives
19. Pump It Up
20. Ascension Day
21. American Tune (earth-shatteringly beautiful)
22. I Can't Stand Up
23. High Fidelity
24. Wonder Woman
25. Alison
26. Clubland
27. Greatest Love
28. How You Got Killed Before
29. Wonder Woman
30. Yes We Can Can
31. Shoo-Ra
32. Slippin' And Slidin'
33. The Sharpest Thorn

I won't promise this is mistake free because gees, I started losing it towards the end since I was right up next to the stage dancing my ass off. A few other things:

Steve with no hair - I've lost all faith in humanity - this man has to have hair. I don't care if it's hot - the man has to have hair. Doc said he was starting to look like Cope!!!!

Allen with socks and sandals - normally a fashion faux, but it works for him. Besides, he's so damn cool that he can do whatever he wants.

The horns - Fanfuckingtastic. All of them. Extra guitar as well. Watching Steve in awe of Allen and Allen in awe of Steve. Just good musicians appreciating each other. A beautiful sight.

Oh and the evening wouldn't be complete without Doc having to talk to the table of gals next to us who had their mouths wide open saying "what is that thing that the keyboard guy is playing?" :wink:

The only downside, other than the heat, was that there didn't seem to be a way to get to Elvis after the show. If there was, we didn't find it. Of course we were unfamiliar with the venue.

But all I can say is WOW. My thanks to Doc for shelling out the bucks to have us right down under Elvis' feet. It was a great way to celebrate our 10th anniversary.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

spooky girlfriend wrote:I won't promise this is mistake free because gees, I started losing it towards the end since I was right up next to the stage dancing my ass off.
Understood... but I'm guessing they didn't really do "Wonder Woman" as both songs 24 and 29. And isn't "Feels So Good" (song 14) just a line from "Wonder Woman"?

Any idea where "Wonder Woman" actually belongs? And if different songs belong in the other spots? Maybe "Get Out Of My Life Woman" is one of them?
bicyclops

Post by bicyclops »

spooky girlfriend wrote: I won't promise this is mistake free because gees, I started losing it towards the end since I was right up next to the stage dancing my ass off.
One correction: before Ascension Day, there was:
Professor Longhair Medley: Big Chief, Tipitina, and a bit of Mardi Gras in New Orleans (AT solo)
I don't remeber where Wonder Woman was in the set.
spooky girlfriend wrote: I decided to go to the bathroom for one last call before the show started - more than 20 minutes early - and when I came back Elvis had already taken the stage. I don't know if it was because of the heat or low ticket sales (a real shame) but he started earlier than I've ever seen.
The scheduled time was 7:30, not 8. They started about 7:40 by my watch. Chastain shows have to start and end early because of pressure from the homeowners near the park.
spooky girlfriend wrote: Steve with no hair - I've lost all faith in humanity - this man has to have hair. I don't care if it's hot - the man has to have hair.
Not the first time Steve has shaved his head before an appearance at Chastain - he did the same thing on the Brutal Youth tour.

I had an Episode of Blonde(s). There was a table directly in front of me with six blonde women who chatted throught the entire show, only shutting up for Pump It Up and Alison. After about 30 minutes I figured that no one was going to sit in the empty seats to the right of me so I moved a few seats over, away from the chatty blondes, and my blood pressure went down a bit, so I could enjoy the rest of the show. God, I hate the Chastain crowd. Hopefully, considering the poor attendance, Elvis won't play there again.

A fantastic show, in spite of the blondes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Dang - I said I was in a hotel lobby with four kids eating breakfast this morning on a laptop computer - I just wanted to get a general report in. :lol: It wasn't supposed to be a thesis or anything. I did do a cut and paste from the Boston setlist because so many of the songs were the same and I knew it would end up biting me in the ass because I'm not used to working on the laptop. To be truthful, I almost didn't even do a setlist - I said at the beginning of the show that I wasn't going to write anything down and I caved in because I've always done it. Once I started dancing and standing up dancing after every song I knew my setlist would suck. The whole thing was so last minute. I'm already back home in just over 48 hours from deciding to even go so my head is still spinning. I had to come home today since the baby of the family, Justin, turns 12 tomorrow and I promised to make a cake, etc.

As far as what time the show started, I never even looked at the tickets other than to just stare at the seat number. Doc was good enough to buy the front row seats so as long as I got there in time for the thing to start I didn't really care. Besides, I had started drinking by then (hence the bathroom visit). :wink:

For people with 4 kids who rarely ever have the chance to do this kind of thing on a last minute basis, I am absolutely amazed that we pulled it off. Everybody who is a regular here knows that I don't get to act on a whim very often and the fact that I spent the evening with the man I loved celebrating 10 years of marriage watching our favorite artist from the front row means more than anything.

I left the evening breathless that we pulled it off and my thanks to all of you who pm'd me and posted me encouraging me to just "go". I will never regret it. The tour is almost over and I would shoot myself if I had missed it.