Tower of musical shame

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
noiseradio

Tower of musical shame

Post by noiseradio »

done.
Last edited by noiseradio on Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

But Phil Collins, INXS, Pink Floyd, Sting and Kiss have always sucked - and I would argue that REM should be on this list - they have pretty much sucked since the drummer left and the singer joined Blue Man Group, whereas they were once a powerhouse they are mostly now a joke band - so in that spirit I will take off one Athens band and replace it with another - 'cause the B-52w were nothing but a party band and one of the main reasons they never lived up to the first two lps was because the guitar player died -

1. Pink Floyd
2. INXS
3. Phil Collins
4. The Rolling Stones
5. Michael Jackson
6. The Beach Boys (not Brian Wilson solo, the Mike Love-led Beach Boys sans Brian)
7. REM
8. Sting
9. AC/DC
10. KISS
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Got to agree about REM - I lost interest after Up.
Never been a big fan of Oasis, but their first two albums were ok. Now they just churn out tired old replicas of the past - they can replace INXS.

1. Pink Floyd
2. Oasis
3. Phil Collins
4. The Rolling Stones
5. Michael Jackson
6. The Beach Boys (not Brian Wilson solo, the Mike Love-led Beach Boys sans Brian)
7. REM
8. Sting
9. AC/DC
10. KISS
corruptio optimi pessima
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The Rolling Stones are still making good music. But Aerosmith, a once exciting, imaginative and influential band, now sadly churn out crap formulaic albums every 3 or 4 years trying to appeal to the next lot of 9-14 year olds that watch MTV. It's sad to see how creatively vapid they have become and what slaves to their perceived market. I can't believe they can't snap out of it.

1. Pink Floyd
2. Oasis
3. Phil Collins
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
7. REM
8. Sting
9. AC/DC
10. KISS
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Got to agree about REM, they haven't got quite as low as some groups go but they are not producing the goods at the top level any more.

Sting has never done it for me as a solo artiste so I'm ditching him in favour (or disfavour) of ........................ David. He may have made a slight recovery with his last couple of albums, but has never really hit the heights since Scary Monsters imo.

1. Pink Floyd
2. Oasis
3. Phil Collins
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
7. REM
8. David Bowie
9. AC/DC
10. KISS
signed with love and vicious kisses
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I like Bowie's recent stuff.

Time for controversy.

U2.

Their egos have gotten in the way of their ability to make good music. Their last truly great album was Achtung Baby.

1. Pink Floyd
2. Oasis
3. Phil Collins
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
7. REM
8. U2
9. AC/DC
10. KISS
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
alexv

Post by alexv »

Darn it, Blue, I was about to add U2 to the mix. You won't get controversy from me.

So, I gotta go with David Byrne. Great stuff with Talking Heads, and self-consciously artsy nada since. It is very difficult to take someone out. I can only think of removing Oasis, since their period of good music was too short-lived to have made them great (never great; never sucked hard).

1. Pink Floyd
2. David Byrne
3. Phil Collins
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
7. REM
8. U2
9. AC/DC
10. KISS
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Still relevent, and actually to my ears, better than those oh-so-self-important days: U2
Self-important, what have you done for me lately: Robbie Robertson

1. Pink Floyd
2. David Byrne
3. Phil Collins
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
7. REM
8. Robbie Robertson
9. AC/DC
10. KISS
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Hey, I liked Contact From The Underwold of Red Boy! But I do concede that Robbie without Levon, Garth, Richard and Rick is like a tortellini without Astroglide.

OUT: David Byrne ('cause he rocked my world at a Calgary Folk Fest)
IN: Arlo Guthrie

1. Pink Floyd
2. Arlo Guthrie
3. Phil Collins
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
7. REM
8. Robbie Robertson
9. AC/DC
10. KISS
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I cannot recall ever hearing an AC/DC record I liked, so they can go. I'll replace them with the Big Daddy of musical under-achievers!

1. Pink Floyd
2. Arlo Guthrie
3. Phil Collins
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
7. REM
8. Robbie Robertson
9.Prince
10. KISS
corruptio optimi pessima
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Well, I think REM has long since seen its peak, but even in decline they can put together some decent songs...nothing like the early years, but still, better than the likes of many on the list.

I suppose my adddition will easily be displaced because I don't beleive that this group )speaking holistically) understands what a tremendously influential band Little Feat was in its day, even for an album or two after Lowell bit the big one and decided to take the eternal dirt nap.

But if you have the occasion to listen to Sailin' Shoes, Dixie Chicken, Feat's Don't Fail Me Now, The Last Record Album, Waiting for Columbus, and Time Love's a Hero, you will hear some groundbreaking music that changed things. When golden throat Lowell chose coke over cardiac function, the unraveling started. But instead of hanging it up, Paul Barrere and others just continued to crack out record after record of uneventful music. They should be ashamed for not dropping the legacy and chnaging the name.

1. Pink Floyd
2. Arlo Guthrie
3. Phil Collins
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
7. Little Feat
8. Robbie Robertson
9.Prince
10. KISS
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

done.
Last edited by noiseradio on Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bobster

Post by bobster »

It's an interesting question how early in their career they have to be "great" to be considered. I know he's very respected as a drummer, but I've never heard enough early Genesis to have an opinion and as a solo act Phil Collins has put out one or two nicely atmosphere singles and a lot of really, really witless and awful crap. He's an okay actor, however -- I think he should do so much acting that he never write another song as long as he lies.

Similarly, I detest "The Wall" and everything I've heard since from "Pink Floyd" since and don't share in the veneration most of my generation have for that group, though I know people love the Syd Barrett stuff, which is interesting but not really my thing.

Close one, but since we're not really talking about musicians but "acts" Phil will have to be ejected on the grounds of never-having-been to make room for a genuine pop musical great and one of my real favorites. It's never been the same since the sad day I heard, "I Just Called to Say I Love You", a song that any respectable jingle-writer would've thrown out. Urgh!

1. Stevie Wonder
2. Pink Floyd
3. Arlo Guthrie
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
7. B-52s
8. Robbie Robertson
9.Prince
10. KISS
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Their first couple of albums (thinks aloud...was it one or two?) on the Bizarre label were interesting if not impressive, and then he/they put out a couple of absolute gems in "Love it to Death" and "Killer" after which they put out some quite acceptable music with "School's Out" and "Billion Dollar Babies"... then it was all down hill to the point where the he/they became a parody of himself/themselves.

I hereby nominate Alice Cooper and as Stevie Wonder has really only had a couple of hiccups in a generally superb musical career, I will come to his rescue (besides, anyone who could create albums of the quality of "Songs in the Key of Life" and "Talking Book" should never appear on any such list).

1. Alice Cooper
2. Pink Floyd
3. Arlo Guthrie
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
7. B-52s
8. Robbie Robertson
9.Prince
10. KISS
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

1. Alice Cooper
2. REM
3. Arlo Guthrie
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
7. The Beatles
8. Robbie Robertson
9.Prince
10. Elvis Costello
signed with love and vicious kisses
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Tough choice, but I'll take out Prince and replace him with The Stranglers. Never been a huge fan, but they were a pretty good band in their early days (1977 - 1981), and what I've heard in the last fifteen years (not much, I admit) is really bad.

1. Alice Cooper
2. Pink Floyd
3. Arlo Guthrie
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
7. B-52s
8. Robbie Robertson
9. The Stranglers
10. KISS
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

done.
Last edited by noiseradio on Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--William Shakespeare
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Out:
Arlo Guthrie: reason - never great
Beach Boys etc etc: reason - the judgement was on albums and the Mike Love led BBs haven't really released any albums except Summer in Paradise, which wasn't a complete disaster, and they are still fun live (if not as good as Brian) and sod it, some things are sacrosanct; what are you all thinking of??????
In:
Stevie Wonder: reason - influential, groundbreaking albums in 70s, last good thing he did was Hotter than July in about 1980 and the highlight since was that unspeakable song Bobster mentioned.
Rod Stewart: reason - greatest white rock voice of the 70s, both solo and with the Faces. These singles stand up today as some of the very best of that era. Now - trotting out the American Songbook volume 6 or whatever to people who should know better.
So-
1. Alice Cooper
2. Pink Floyd
3. Stevie Wonder
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
6. Rod Stewart
7. B-52s
8. Robbie Robertson
9. The Stranglers
10. KISS
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

done.
Last edited by noiseradio on Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--William Shakespeare
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Well I would have also caused an uproar on this board and nominated Elvis had it been allowed as I really dont rate the last couple of albums he has produced. But as i'm banned from that one here's another uproar - i'm taking out The Stranglers as I like all of their work and nominating Kate Bush. She is a genius, and all of her past work has been legendary. but this new album after a 10 year or so wait is pants!! I really think she has lost it bigtime! Don't suppose she will stay on the list for more than 5 seconds but that's my vote like it or lump it! :lol:

1. Alice Cooper
2. Pink Floyd
3. Arlo Guthrie
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
7. B-52s
8. Robbie Robertson
9 KISS
10 Kate Bush
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Foul!!!
What happened to Rod Stewart?
Where did it say you can't reinstate someone?
I'm determined to get the Beach Boys off so:
1. Alice Cooper
2. Pink Floyd
3. Eric Clapton
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
6. Rod Stewart
7. B-52s
8. Robbie Robertson
9. Kate Bush
10. KISS
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

done.
Last edited by noiseradio on Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--William Shakespeare
alexv

Post by alexv »

I never thought much of Alice Cooper, so I can't see him as a fall from grace kind of guy. In his place, I submit Elton, who made some great records way back when, and is now a Vegas spectacle.

1. Elton John
2. Pink Floyd
3. Rod Stewart
4. Aerosmith
5. Michael Jackson
6. Mike Love's Beach Boys
7. B-52s
8. Robbie Robertson
9 KISS
10 Kate Bush
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Sorry guys, I cut and pasted from the post above me but by the time I posted others had got in first!! :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

done
Last edited by noiseradio on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--William Shakespeare