Directed by
Tom DiCillo

Credited cast:
Steve Buscemi
Marcus Collins
Elvis Costello

Plot Summary for
Delirious (2006)

Les, a small-time celebrity photographer(Buscemi)
desperate to make it big befriends Toby, a homeless
young man(Pitt) with no direction except a vague
desire to become an actor. When by chance Toby becomes
romantically involved with K'Harma Leeds,the hottest
pop star of the moment, Les grows jealous and plots
revenge.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post appears on the IMBD board -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412637/board/nest/31005087

They filmed right outside my theater!!!

by - takdasuperman-1 (Tue Dec 6 2005 22:43:10 )

When i arrived to work at around 4 in the afternoon, i noticed that there was film equipment set up right outside the theater on 32nd st. and 2nd Ave. (loews Kips Bay). I found out that this was DiCillo's film and that several known actors were involved with the shoot for that night.

Later on that evening, the action actually began. Lots of the extras had arrived and immediately commenced with shooting. Every-so-often, the crew would ask for the extras to warm up inside the theater while they set up. It became hilarious at one point when an extra got really pissed. After several cuts through the evening, this one extra began doing some elaborate stretching of seemingly every muscle in his body. After maybe the 7th time the extras went back into the theater, literally no more than one minute, did the PA come back inside and yelled: "Background, BACK OUTSIDE!" The extra got pissed for not being able to do his stretching and replied: "Aw, come on!". It was very funny.

Anyway. Now on to the more serious stuff.

After work, I went outside to see the action from a much better perspective. I saw Steve Buscemi getting his hair combed inside the theater while the crew were setting up. And also saw Evlis Costello doing a few takes on his own along with extras around him. Might I add, Costello looked friggin creepy. Just wait till u see... The guy looks insane. I didn't get a great look at him from where i stood because the camera operator was in my line of sight, but i looked to the side and found one of the monitors that was hooked up to the camera and watched him do his take. He was great. He had this real creepy/insane/maniacal look to him. But it kinda changed from take to take.

I also got the chance to see Buscemi do a small take with Michael Pitt. WHat happened was: Buscemi was squeezing through the crowd (extras) with a small camera, trying to inch his way to Toby Grace (Pitt's character) and reach out for his hand. Pitt then reached back. But what was funny about this particular moment was that the director kept redoing the hands reaching out over and over without stopping the camera. Pitt kinda gave off a subtle laugh finding himself in an awkward and physically straining position for such a long time.

Everything else was wonderful to watch. The crew were real nice. One of them offered me a bottle of water. I got to talk to a few bystanders next to me while we watched the crew set up. The lights were amazingly strong and i don't think I've ever had such a hype time at work since Batman sold out like crazy for several nights in a row. Ha.

what a night.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://peacearch.com/_bin/film/peaceArc ... irious.cfm

Delirious

Post-Production

DIRECTOR / WRITER:
Tom DiCillo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above link has a link to a trailer . Elvis appears about half way through ; he even gets to say ' fucking cameras' at one point. By the way the trailer , as most of them seem to do these days , gives away most of the film's story .
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.usetdas.com/TDAS/NewsArticle ... ewsID=6347

FSC / Press Release

Peace Arch Entertainment's "Delirious" to World Premiere at Prestigious San Sebastian International Film Festival

WORLD CLASS FESTIVAL PROVIDES SPRINGBOARD FOR GLOBAL ACQUISITION AND DISTRIBUTION OF PEACE ARCH FILM

Toronto, Ontario CANADA, August 17, 2006 /FSC/ -

Peace Arch Entertainment Group Inc. (PAE - American, PAE.LV - TSX), a rapidly emerging, vertically integrated film and television company, announced that the Company's film "Delirious" has been accepted in the elite competition section of the 54th San Sebastian International Film Festival in Spain, and will world premiere at the festival on September 26th.

Widely regarded as one of the top film festivals in Europe, the San Sebastian International Film Festival attracts entertainment executives from the US and territories around the world seeking quality content to acquire and license for theatrical, DVD and television broadcast.

"Delirious" stars Independent Spirit Award winner, and Golden Globe Award and Emmy Award nominee Steve Buscemi ("Fargo" "Big Fish" "The Big Lebowski"), Young Hollywood Award and Hollywood Film Festival Best Actress Award winner Alison Lohman ("Matchstick Men" "Where The Truth Lies"), Michael Pitt ("Silk" "Last Days"), MTV Movie Award nominee Gina Gershon ("Bound" "Man About Town") and world renowned musician Elvis Costello playing himself.

In "Delirious" Steve Buscemi plays a celebrity photographer who befriends a young homeless man (Michael Pitt) who aspires to be an actor. Alison Lohman plays the starlet of the moment whose romantic interest in Pitt's character creates a wedge between the two unlikely friends.

"Delirious" was directed by Tom DiCillo ("Living In Oblivion" "Double Whammy" "The Real Blonde"), and produced by Independent Spirit Award winner Bob Salerno ("21 Grams," "All The Pretty Horses," "Chapter 27").

Peace Arch Entertainment will be well represented at the festival by its international sales team led by London-based Executive Vice President Penny Wolf. The 54th San Sebastian Film Festival is September 21st - 30th in the Donostia-San Sebastian region of Spain.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis-In-Decent-Movie Shock !!!!!!!!

Even if he's , er , 'playing himself'......

http://www.usetdas.com/TDAS/NewsArticle ... ewsID=6635

Peace Arch Entertainment's "Delirious" Wins Top Honors
at Prestigious San Sebastian International Film Festival

FILM RECEIVES BEST DIRECTOR, BEST SCREENPLAY AND SIGNIS AWARD

Toronto, Ontario CANADA, October 02, 2006 /FSC/ -

Peace Arch Entertainment Group Inc. (PAE - American, PAE.LV - TSX), announced today that its film "Delirious" has been awarded three prizes in the elite competition section of the 54th San Sebastian International Film Festival in Spain.

Writer/director Tom DiCillo received both the Silver Shell for Best Director and the Jury Prize for Best Screenplay. In addition, the picture received the prestigious SIGNIS Award for "presenting in a fresh and entertaining way how in contemporary culture of competition and success at any price, honesty and loyalty are capable of transforming people's lives and rescue them in their key moments."

Peace Arch Entertainment President John Flock said, "The critical success of 'Delirious,' our first theatrical film to be completed since the dramatic revitalization of Peace Arch over the past year, is a key step in positioning our company as a supplier of high quality film and television programming in the worldwide market. We congratulate Tom DiCillo, Bob Salerno and the cast and crew of 'Delirious' on their well-deserved awards, and look forward to introducing this superb film to international distributors over the coming months."

"Delirious" stars Independent Spirit Award winner and Golden Globe Award and Emmy Award nominee Steve Buscemi ("Fargo" "Big Fish" "The Big Lebowski"), Young Hollywood Award and Hollywood Film Festival Best Actress Award winner Alison Lohman ("Matchstick Men" "Where The Truth Lies"), Michael Pitt ("Silk" "Last Days"), MTV Movie Award nominee Gina Gershon ("Bound" "Man About Town") and world renowned musician Elvis Costello playing himself. The picture was produced by Independent Spirit Award winner Bob Salerno ("21 Grams" "All The Pretty Horses" "Chapter 27").

In "Delirious" Steve Buscemi plays a celebrity photographer who befriends a young homeless man (Michael Pitt) who aspires to be an actor. Alison Lohman plays the starlet of the moment whose romantic interest in Pitt's character creates a wedge between the two unlikely friends.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Uncut , Dec. 06

Buscemi Counts Cost Of Fame

The indie legend talks exclusively to Uncut about his two new movies - different takes on the curse of clebrity

Steve Buscemi takes a sour look at celebrity culture in his next two films. The first, Delirious, reunites the 48-year-old actor with writer-directorTom DiCillo for the first time since 1995’s indie hit, Living In Oblivion.The second, Interview, is a controversial remake that required on-set protection against potential assassins. Both movies examine the fame game through extremely cynical eyes.

" For me, fame and celebrity are the least interesting things
about this business,â€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://slashfilm.com/2007/01/18/sundanc ... 19th-2007/

'Everyone wants to know where the new hot party is happening at Sundance. /Film will give you an indepth look at all the parties going on in and outside of Main Street every night of the festival.

Keep in mind that most of these parties are by invitation only. Knowledge of the events does not constitute an invite. So we ask you to please be respectful. That said, here is the list of parties for Friday, January 19th, 2007:'

(extract)

# 6:00pm - 8:00pm Delirious Premiere Party at the Premiere Lounge Riverhorse on 540 Main St. Invite Only

* Possible Appearances by stars: Steve Buscemi, Elvis Costello, Minnie Driver, Gina Gershon, Alison Lohman, Michael Pitt and director Tom DiCillo.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This film's director blogs -

http://www.tomdicillo.com/blog/2007/07/ ... een-light/

(extract)

The rest of the cast had fallen miraculously into place. Gina Gershon as Toby’s sexpot manager, Cinque Lee (Spike’s brother) as the director of a serial killer reality show called Slice of Life, David Wain and Callie Thorne as K’harma’s publicists, Kevin Corrigan as Les’ only friend and Elvis Costello as himself in a celebrity cameo after David Bowie, Sylvester Stallone, Donald Trump and Paul McCartney turned us down.

The film is getting a 'limited' release in the U.S. on Aug. 15th -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412637/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This film's director is keeping a blog of the marketing/releasing of this film - it makes interesting reading.

http://www.tomdicillo.com/blog/

August 5, 2007

(extract)

A few days ago I was called into a development meeting with Trevor and his partner Heidi at Flicker, the company running the promotional campaign for Delirious. The long and short of it was this; they were cutting the advertising campaign from $350,000 to $675.84. To assuage my fears that this might have some effect on the way the film was going to be marketed Trevor explained this new idea he’d had while surfing the net one night as he was watching a movie, checking his email, playing online poker and downloading the new Bon Jovi cd from iTunes.

The movie's site has this -

http://www.deliriousthemovie.com/castan ... tello.html

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://ifc.com/news/article?aId=20852

Tom DiCillo on "Delirious"

(extract)

How did Elvis Costello end up in the celebrity cameo role?

That was a great happy accident. I wanted someone in that scene who would motivate Steve Buscemi's character to be speechless in the presence of a star. Originally, I had gone to Paul McCartney, but that didn't work out. Then David Bowie didn't work out. We were a week before shooting, and one of the people on our list was Elvis. Steve said he knew him, he called him, and the next thing you know I'm in a location van, the phone rings, and it was Elvis Costello. I was as speechless as Steve's character in the movie. He said, "Sure, let's do it." I met him the next day, we sketched out that scene, and he was fantastic. He's a real artist and generous as hell. He gave us the song at the end of the movie for free. He's just a great guy, I had to keep pinching myself.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote:http://ifc.com/news/article?aId=20852

Tom DiCillo on "Delirious"

(extract)

How did Elvis Costello end up in the celebrity cameo role?

That was a great happy accident. I wanted someone in that scene who would motivate Steve Buscemi's character to be speechless in the presence of a star. Originally, I had gone to Paul McCartney, but that didn't work out. Then David Bowie didn't work out. We were a week before shooting, and one of the people on our list was Elvis. Steve said he knew him, he called him, and the next thing you know I'm in a location van, the phone rings, and it was Elvis Costello. I was as speechless as Steve's character in the movie. He said, "Sure, let's do it." I met him the next day, we sketched out that scene, and he was fantastic. He's a real artist and generous as hell. He gave us the song at the end of the movie for free. He's just a great guy, I had to keep pinching myself.
Any idea which song this could be?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... rasit.html

It's the age of Paris, and he's the parasite

Buscemi is the lowest of the low in 'Delirious'

New York Daily News

Wednesday, August 15th 2007

Jack Mathews

Delirious: Satire of the fame game, following a paparazzo and the homeless man who becomes his assistant. With Steve Buscemi, Michael Pitt, Alison Lohman. Writer-director: Tom DiCillo. At Clearview 62nd and Broadway.

With back-to-back roles in his own "Interview" and now in writer-director Tom DiCillo's "Delirious," Steve Buscemi has covered the waterfront in contemporary celebrity news.

In "Interview," Buscemi plays a former war correspondent stuck with having to write a profile on a B-movie diva. In "Delirious," he's a low-rent paparazzo chasing celebs for his dreamed-of "shot heard round the world."

"Interview" is a much more serious piece of work, in which Buscemi the director allows Sienna Miller to steal the movie from Buscemi the actor. "Delirious" is a pure lark, a whimsical rant against America's shallow celebrity culture, and Buscemi hogs every scene he's in.

His Les Gallantine is the lowest of the low among the paparazzi who elbow each other for sight lines outside night-clubs and other celebrity stalking posts. He lives in a virtual hovel somewhere in downtown Manhattan, where he is joined near the beginning of the movie by Toby Grace (Michael Pitt), a young homeless man who volunteers to work as Les' as­sistant.

While learning the ropes, the scruffy but still handsome Toby makes eye contact with Britney-like pop singer K'Harma Leeds (Alison Loh­man), falls in love with her and puts his grudging friendship with Les at risk.

If the notion of a romance between a hot celebrity and a homeless man sounds improbable, how probable is the fame of Kevin Federline or Larry Birkhead?

Gallantine may be the least likable character Buscemi has played, and a lawsuit from the National Association of Parasite Photographers can't be far behind. Les is a liar, a bully, a sneak and quite proud of the fact that there is nothing he won't do for a shot.

There are some very funny bits in the film, including the scene where Les meets a friendly Elvis Costello (playing himself) and becomes tongue-tied.

When he's not working, Les is as dumbstruck as any other fan.

Pitt, as the quiet, almost poetically soulful Toby, plays well off Buscemi's noisy crankiness, and his scenes with the insecure K'Harma are really very beautiful.

In the end, I don't know that "Delirious" has all that much to say about the fame game, but you'll laugh nonetheless.

jmathews@nydailynews.com
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Keep an eye on this link to track this films boffo box offixe

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2007/DLIRI.php
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://chidder.livejournal.com/35742.html

Kevin Avery blogs -

Delirious

15th Aug 2007

I've got this camera click, click, clickin' in my head.
—ELVIS COSTELLO,
"I'm Not Angry"

Although it doesn't appear until the end credits,
Elvis Costello's classic 1977 spitfire anthem serves as one of the best movie theme songs—theme in every sense of the word—of recent years. Jealousy, voyeurism, paranoia, acceptance, rejection, denial, the potential for violence, the recognition that it's all so damn unfunny that it becomes funny—Costello's song has it all, and so does the fine film to which it's now been wed.

Director and writer Tom DiCillo's Delirious, which had a special screening last night in Manhattan at the Angelika, works effectively on so many different levels that it gives new meaning to the term cross-genre. At once a comedic and dramatic Midnight Cowboyish character study of downtrodden friendship, it's also a love story, a meditation on fame (those who have it vs. those who want it), and a potential stalker flick. Despite its vastly disparate characters, shifts in tone, and wildly divergent plot lines, the movie hangs together remarkably well. Its debts to Michael Powell's Peeping Tom and Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver aside, Delirious is the best movie about wanting to be famous since that other great Scorsese paean to obsessive behavior, 1983's The King of Comedy. (Both Scorsese films starred Robert De Niro, who receives mention several times in Delirious.)

"Sometimes I see too much," says Steve Buscemi's Les Gallantine (even his name is a worthy successor to Rupert Pupkin and Travis Bickle) to Michael Pitt's Toby Grace. What he doesn't see is how his chosen profession—that of paparazzi—with each click of his shutter takes something away from his subjects. He proudly displays on his apartment wall two long-range photos of Elvis Costello (who effectively appears as himself in the movie) as if they were big-game trophies.

Following last night's screening, Tom DiCillo spoke about the making of Delirious, which he spent the last six years bringing to fruition. He couldn't say enough good things about his star Steve Buscemi, who delivers what might well be the best performance of his career (right up there with his starring role in DiCillo's 1995 indie classic, Living in Oblivion).

One thing DiCillo couldn't stress enough about his new film and whether or not it succeeds: "Tell your friends about it." Indeed, in a movie marketplace where big-name films boast advertising budgets larger than what it cost DiCillo to make his movie (he had to reduce his budget from five million dollars down to three million), word of mouth is more important than ever.

DiCillo told The New York Times last week: "'Look at the movies people are watching.... They’re about nothing. You invest nothing.'"

Not so with Delirious.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/577/story/160125.html

16 august '07

MOVIE REVIEW: `Delirious' dissects celebrity culture

By JAKE COYLE - AP Entertainment Writer

Early in "Delirious," two paparazzi argue over their positions in a scrum of photographers on an otherwise empty Manhattan street.

"That's my spot!" yells Les Galantine, played by Steve Buscemi.

In his world, small patches of sidewalk momentarily can be turned into the fiercest of battlegrounds.

This is the milieu of "Delirious," the sharply observed comedy by indie director Tom DiCillo, best known for cleverly depicting the behind-the-scenes reality of indie filmmaking in 1995's "Living in Oblivion."

Here, DiCillo straddles the velvet rope to reveal the entertainment industry's not-so-glamorous underbelly. It's a world of VIP room doorkeepers, freebie gift bags and bickering publicists.

His hair black and slicked back, Buscemi stars as a paparazzo (Les insists on the term "licensed professional") who's boastful of his proximity to celebrities yet self-loathing because of the vast distance that still separates him from the stars.

Les stomps around his tiny, dirty apartment cursing the many "peons" (the worst curse possible for Les) he must tolerate. But despite himself, he takes in an earnest homeless teenager named Toby Grace (Michael Pitt) who eagerly becomes his roommate and assistant.

Toby gets a roof over his head, or more precisely, a shelf over his cupboard - that's the only bed Les provides him. As mentor, Les schools Toby in the paparazzi trade - like, always having a sports jacket and an empty cocktail glass handy to sneak into parties.

Wide-eyed and earnest, Toby takes it all in. Quickly, Buscemi's Les starts to remind you of Dustin Hoffman's Ratso Rizzo from "Midnight Cowboy," while he teaches Toby (an innocent, like Jon Voight's Joe Buck) the art of the deadbeat.

But Toby dreams to be an actor, and after a chance encounter backstage at an award show with pop star K'Harma Leeds (Alison Lohman), "Delirious" becomes a Hollywood cliche: the rags-to-riches fairy tale.

The young K'Harma is a prima donna, but she's also a wreck. Her parents are suing her for $17 million and she's just been dumped by action-star/boyfriend Chuck Sirloin - who everyone knows by the nickname "The Beef."

Like everyone else in the film, K'Harma is rootless and lost, but still plugging away at her role in the celebrity machine. Publicists (David Wain and Callie Thorne) comfort a sobbing K'Harma before a party, telling her she must put a good face on for "E!" and "Entertainment Tonight."

K'Harma's tears stop for a moment as she woundedly asks, "No 'Access Hollywood'?"

DiCillo is cynical about celebrity, but he's also sympathetic. It's a testament to his film that it makes the audience feel compassion for paparazzi and stars alike.

While a romance develops between K'Harma and Toby, Les is left fuming and jealous. He blows his one chance to mingle with the famous, and turns into a stuttering mess when he meets Elvis Costello (in a hilarious cameo). Ashamed, Les reverts to what he knows: snapping pictures.

Eventually, with the help of a casting director (Gina Gershon), Toby hits it big and leaves Les behind - which leads the film to encroach on "Peeping Tom" territory (the 1960 classic where a deranged photographer murders with his camera). The charm of celebrity proves an indomitable force, however.

Though it may sound like satire, "Delirious" is shrewdly detailed reportage. DiCillo isn't a great visual stylist, but he gives his actors wide berth. They all supply lively performances - particularly Buscemi, who portrays Les' bottom-feeding toil with both hopeful delusion and sad awareness.

DiCillo fought for four years to raise financing for his script and "Delirious" will receive a limited release. It reflects a sad reality for independent film (and a slight hypocrisy of the studios' indie distributing arms) that a movie like "Delirious" - made by a director synonymous with independent cinema - needs to struggle for distribution.

It's enough to make you think the entertainment industry can be a little silly sometimes.

"Delirious," a Peace Arch Entertainment release, is not rated. Running time: 106 minutes. Three stars out of four.
mystified

Post by mystified »

A clip of EC from the movie:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gsHUpEMI6XA
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I saw this last night, completely unaware of the EC cameo. I'd definitely recommend it, and my moviegoing companion liked it even more. Go see it! Support Tom DiCillo!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

There's talk in this film about Elvis photographed not wearing a hat ; here's one without glasses ( weak reason , but this is a new shot to me) -

http://www.tomsheehan.co.uk/gallery3.html

johnfoyle

Re: Elvis in new movie' Delirious' , released (U.S. ) Aug. '07

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.tomdicillo.com/blog/

Delirious director Tom DiCillo blogs -

February 16, 2008

(extract)

........some developments on the Delirious front. The first DVD release is coming up in March. This will be primarily for Blockbuster rentals. Then, in March there will be another release with extras which will include my commentary, the full music video of the song Alison Lohman performs in the film and three of the video podcasts we did to promote the film.
VonOfterdingen

Re: Elvis in movie' Delirious'

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I just saw Delirious with 6 other moviegoers in a small art-house cinema tonight. It's rather fun. Buscemi is great and so is of course Michael Pitt (he's doing a good job in Hanekes Funny Games US as well).

Elvis had more lines than I hoped for to begin with. Talladega Nights this ain't. An the fact that Buscemi gets to talk about him a few times and wanting to thank him for the earlier albums is good fun. And ending the film with Im Not Angry is spot on:)
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This is going right to 'video' release in the U.K. , according to this BBFC classification -

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classifie ... 670057A150

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delirious-Steve ... 795&sr=1-4

Delirious [2006]
'This title will be released on August 11, 2008. '
jmm

Post by jmm »

I wonder if EC wrote No Hiding Place before or after reading this script?
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man