Elvis at number 75!?!?!

Pretty self-explanatory
Extreme Honey

Elvis at number 75!?!?!

Post by Extreme Honey »

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/strajnic/artists.htm

This is a rather sad topic. My all-time hero, M.Costello himself was rated number 76 in the top artists of all time in the link above. While many of you may stare in glory, I do not. Number 75 is a ridicuale number for someone who should be in the top 5. Being beaten by David Bowie, Elton John and The Beatles is a fine thing, but being beaten by Nirvana (my worst ranked band) , Rush, Micheal Jackson and Prince is just a laugh at human intelligence. Music critics think they are the world's samertest beings by making overrated bands appear on their lists. Most of these dumb american music wannabe critics (I'm not trying to be anti-american, but I'm right on this one) don't even know Costello. And so, Micheal Jackson, the ravaging pedophile, beats one of the world's greatest lyriscist. I mock at their intelligence, but most importantly, I feel sorry for the world we live in. Full of ignorance. Costello will die someday and the grave of Oasis (RANKED NUMBER 12!!! HAHAHA!!!) will cover his name. At my age, I have not witnessed the time when Elvis was almost a star, therefore I rarely see the public take note of his superiority over lame and overrated bands I hope will fade soon. Ranking such an intelligent and gifted man at 76, and carving his name under the likeliness of trash bands is an arrogant and ignorant thing to do. But afterall, the public wants Oliver's army and Smashing Pumpkins. It's a sad environment in which I live. But I know I'm 10 steps ahead of all of them. Please share your thoughts.

P.s: might as well add this here: Most overated, overcredited bands/artists in history
1.Elvis Presely
2.Nirvana
3.Bob Marley
4.Jimi Hendrix
5.Phil Collins
(as you already know americans are great at over-crediting their own musicians...while leaving behind Elvis Costello and David Bowie)
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Most overrated top 5 would be:
1 Radiohead
2 Sting
3 Coldplay
4 Robbie Williams
5 Morrissey
In contrast to your views the top 5 are all British!!
Don't buy the view that Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley and Elvis Presley are over-rated; although none of them are my favourite artistes they all have a certain je ne sai quoi!
Whereas Sting!!!!..... (unless you're a girlie).......
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Um, at the risk of sounding callous, who gives a shit about this one person's blog list and the votes of a relative handful of his/her friends? It means nothing more than the list you would make yourself, to which I would probably have as many objections, given the artists you list as overrated. I'm just an idiotic American girlie but trust me, I'm right on this.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

There would be rioting if my list was published, having Elvis at # 2. I guess that's why we're all here! Shout out to SMM!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I guess EC himself would say he's not in the Top 100s, but be annoyed by the bad taste of putting people like Oasis before him.
What this world needs is more silly men.
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

I wouldnt get too worked up, this is obviously some yuppie (Radiohead? Weezer?? In the top 30?!?!??) that prolly only mentioned Elvis to fill space. You know, one of those people that buys Beatles albums to be cool and listens to Simple Plan instead.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I recommend Pinkerton and the first Weezer album! That stuff was some of the best American music to come out of the 90's. And that's pretty objective data too.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I wholeheartedly agree on the first two Weezer albums (and the newer ones aren't bad either).
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Oh, dont get me wrong- I love weezer. I even went to a show a while back, but as one of the best artists of all time?? If they are, they definately don't place higher than Elvis.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Agreed. (I saw them live when Pinkerton was just new and even though all the songs were top notch, they bored the hell out of me. I'm sure they'd had a bad day or something, but still that wouldn't happen at an Elvis gig.)
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

What!!? No Daryl Palumbo!
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I'll agree Elvis is too modest to put himself in a top 100's list. And you're all right, it's just some punk's list I shouldn't care about. I don't really know why it made such an impact on me. But c'mon Oasis better than Costello? One thing is Bob Dylan, Elton John is as far as I'll go...but Oasis!! That's just dumb!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

LessThanZero wrote: Shout out to SMM!
Right back atcha. Boy you just never age a day, do you?! 8) How's life with Jody??
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

There's no reason to underestimate Prince though...
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Jimi Hendrix could never be overrated. He's the most inovative guitar player who ever lived. AND it's clear that many artists on the list have more commercial success that EC. That's just reality. Jacko may be a creep, but he's sure had a lot of hits and was the king of pop. Not that I like his tunes at all. Prince on the other hand is also an inovator who had mass appeal, along with Nirvana. Some of the artists on the list changed the way we listen to music and created genres. For art to break through, it must have mass appeal.......that's the sour grapes of the situation. I could be the best ever but since nobody gives a shit about me, I have no influence and can't be recongnized as great.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Nah, know what's overrated? Top 100 lists.
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Amen!
whar

Post by whar »

Cynical thread, indeed!
Oy with the poodles, already!