Out of Our Idiot

Pretty self-explanatory
JEM

Out of Our Idiot

Post by JEM »

Hi -

I'm new here and after admiring EC from afar for years with the Best of discs, I finally started to dig a little deeper recently and am now finding myself falling headfirst into obsession mode. I'm in the process of collecting all the Rhino reissues - usually waiting for them to be on sale for budgetary reasons.

ANYWAY, I'm curious about Out of Our Idiot. My local used shop has a copy of it that is very reasonably priced, but I'm hesitant to pick it up because I do one day intend to own all of the Rhino reissues. So - how redundant is it now that quite a few of these tracks have turned up on the resissues?

Thanks in advance for your help.

- JEM
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

There are two songs on Out Of Our Idiot that are not on Rhino reissues: "Little Goody Two Shoes" and "A Town Called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)". In the case of the former, an alternate take appears on the Imperial Bedroom reissue; the OOOI version is much more chaotic. "Big Nothing" was on the Ryko reissue of Blood & Chocolate, but was left off the Rhino for use on some other release, which has yet to surface.

Personally, I like the flow of OOOI, so I recommend you pick it up anyway, especially if it's cheap.

For more information, this site is a wonderful resource: http://www.geocities.com/ned3705/rhino.html
JEM

Post by JEM »

Thanks! Guess I'll be picking it up then.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

wardo68 wrote:
Personally, I like the flow of OOOI, so I recommend you pick it up anyway, especially if it's cheap.
I second that motion. A fun record in its own right.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

This was actually the first compilation I ever picked up and I consider it indispensible. Although it will be redundant when you get everything else, it does have a great flow and it will mark you as being a true Elvis freak. Welcome, and happy hunting!
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Or, if you're like me. I bought OOOI 15 years ago, and its the damn re-issues that are redundant. I haven't bought a one!
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I think the Big Nothing song is in one of the singles boxes.
whar

Post by whar »

Out Of Our Idiot is a great buy... if not for the wonderful collection of rarities- for the elitest inside you to own.

It rocks.
Oy with the poodles, already!
JEM

Post by JEM »

Thank you all for your responses! I'll be picking it up today on my lunch hour.

And thanks for being so welcoming to a newcomer.
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

JEM wrote:And thanks for being so welcoming to a newcomer.
These guys are pretty cool to newbies.
whar

Post by whar »

I'd say so.

When I first got here I got FREE Elvis tickets and a nice little meal with some board members. Regardless of whatever happened since, it was a wonderful night.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I'm glad you're back, whar, and that's my fave avatar so far.
What this world needs is more silly men.
whar

Post by whar »

Are you a Gilmore Girls fan, at all?
Wonderful show. Season 3 just came out on DVD.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

My girlfriend watches it all the time & I join her when I can rather than follow it. And I tell her I sit through it just to be with her but I'm really a closet fan. Wouldn't even mind a DVD marathon.
What this world needs is more silly men.
whar

Post by whar »

Oh man, it's really incredible.

I wish my reason for watching it was as manly as your's. :oops: But it truly is the best writing and delivery I've seen on television... ever (sorry Buffy fans).