Beck's "Guero"

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Beck's "Guero"

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Anyone heard any of the tracks from this yet? I really liked "Sea Change", but I know it wasn't everyone's cup of tea.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wow, the reviews of this are all over the map. Some say it's a brilliant synthesis of his earlier style and "Sea Change"; others think it's a step back. I'll have to give it a listen the next time I'm out shopping.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Listened to this at Best Buy last night, then snapped it up. Not really anything like "Sea Change" - more of a cross between "Midnite Vultures" and "Odelay", but with a Latino tinge. I really like it a lot and cannot understand some of the reviews - it's as if some are expecting some revolutionary work from Beck each time out. A lot of musicians would give their left nut (or breast, whatever vital organ you want to name) to make music this fun and funky. A good synthesis of everything he's done before. I'll be listening to this a lot.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Yes, it is a bit more accessible than his other stuff, imo. I've been listening to it since it was leaked on the 'net in Jan and when I heard the proper version being played in a shop recently, I realised I quite like it. I may even buy a copy.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Beck was the guest on today's "Morning Becomes Eclectic" on KCRW. Great set from him, as well as a ton of other interesting live in-studio stuff (with video): M. Ward, Amos Lee, Bloc Party, etc.

http://kcrw.org/show/mb
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

That show is responsible for introducing me to tons of a great music, and I love the videos. The most recent Wilco set, Shivaree, and Nellie McKay are also great.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Alpal

Post by Alpal »

Great album! Songs are fun and accessible. The listening experience is about as pleasurable as Odelay. The Latin American tinge is a nice addition.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Alpal:

Wait a minute here, bucko! Are you suggesting that the new Beck album is reminiscient of Odelay? Is it upbeat? Does it vary from song to song, or is it more mired in the "Sea Change" formula? And the latin-tinged comment...that is very intriguing! Is that sound pervasive, or only on a few songs. I am very interested, for while I 'appreciated' Sea Change, I really wouldn't want to purchase "Sea Change II". If this is really different, and more like Odelay, then I will buy it in a heartbeat.

thanks
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Alpal

Post by Alpal »

This is definitely not Sea Change II. A number of songs definitely fit into the classic Beck archetype. The songs are for the most part quickly paced and melodic. The album is catchy from the first listen (but repeated listening is even better) and has a lot of really cool instrumentation. The Latin tinge is most evident on the title track, but there are a variety of tracks (electronica, sunny guitar pop, etc).
MegJS

Post by MegJS »

I like Odelay very much and I think I'm going to like Guero, esp considering what I've read about it. I'll buy it as soon as it's on sail in my hometown.
Libraries filled up with failed ideas
There's nothing more for me there
I trust in tender ink and gentle airs