SARS Stock

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

SARS Stock

Post by BlueChair »

I just had to post about this. Yesterday I attended the benefit concert hosted by The Rolling Stones here in Toronto (SARS Stock, as some called it). With an attendance of 450,000 people, it was one of the largest rock 'n' roll shows ever. Woodstock in 1969 only had 400,000.

We woke up bright and early so we could get a decent spot in Downsview Park, the former Air Force Base where the concert was being held. The afternoon's performance included short sets by Canadian performers The Tea Party, Blue Rodeo, and Sam Roberts, as well as foreign visitors The Flaming Lips (who were excellent!), The Isley Brothers (also great).

By the evening we were pretty much forced to stand as the crowd got BUSY and tight. The discomfort was worth it. Justin Timberlake was booed at first, but eventually people warmed up to him. Following that was Canada's The Guess Who ("American Woman"). During their set, I noticed a commotion near where I was standing (about 150 feet from the stage). Some guy in a football jersey gets lifted up, and I'm thinking "who is this guy?" They get turned around, and it's MICK JAGGER... on someone's shoulders.. in the middle of the crowd! I was in awe.

Although I am not a huge fan of Rush or AC/DC, they both delivered solid performances, but the time eventually came for The Rolling Stones, who delivered a great 90 minute set, that was only dampened by everyone's fatigue, thirst, and hunger. Justin Timberlake sang with Mick on "Miss You", and Angus & Malcom Young of AC/DC guessed on The Stones' covering "Rock Me Baby" by B.B. King.

All in all, it was great to be a part of music history, even if it was damn near impossible to get enough food, water or visit a restroom during the entire 11 1/2 hour performance.

Photos can be seen here:
http://canoe.ca/SarsStockGallery/home.html
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Fine.
A rope leash

Wish I was there...

Post by A rope leash »

Yeah, Guess Who! It's the new Mother Nature taking over...they still exist?! Did they do Green Eyed Lady? Long version?

What? You don't like Rush? "...one likes to believe in the freedom of music / but glittering prizes and endless comprimises / shatter the illusion of integrity (yeah)". Rock and Roll gold!

Was Timberlake "cool"?

Am I old?
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Better yet, did they do "American Woman??"

:twisted:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

did you say something blue? i just saw the flaming lips; they were fun, but poor wayne can't sing. i could tell you isley brothers stories. the stones are always good. green eyed lady was sugarloaf rope. the b side of my american woman 45 was "no time", if i recall correctly, which i always preferred. guess who also had a hit called "broken"! rush! you lucky dog. 11.5 hours though. and the blues brothers. down with sars man.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

"Clap For The Wolfman" is my favorite Guess Who song.

75 - 80 miles an hour - she said, "slow slow slow"
I said, "baby I can stop right on a dime"
A rope leash

Dang!

Post by A rope leash »

O yeah! I meant to say No Sugar Tonight. Good songs both...