HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SENOR OTIS

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Happy birthday!

Funny, but I turned 39 this year...and also the year before, too.

Anyway, glad you had a good birthday and many happy returns, but what I need a quick English-to-American translations. What were you doing when you "punting"....

I know "punters" are betters as well as, possibly, people who watch or participate in something. (My sources include "Rumpole of the Bailey" and "Croupier.")

But how could you hurt your shoulder betting? (Well, I guess you could do that throwing dice, but do they play craps in the UK?)

Inquiring minds gots to know!

Bob
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Happy Birthday Otis!!!
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

Happy birthday to the star of every Elvis Costello message board, Mr. Otis Westinghouse! Have a great day, mate!
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

Happy Birthday Otis, I enjoy reading you.
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

My apologies to anyone on the other side of the Atlantic, or the Pacific, or the other end of the world, for assuming that Brideshead Revisited meant that Oxford/Cambridge's punts were almost as renowned as Venice's gondolas. Similar concept, but punts are flat, and steered by a pole that you sink to the river bed, which can veer bizarrely between 6 inches deep or 6 feet within seconds, and which can be quite sticky and pole-trapping. In Cambridge there are two routes: up the 'backs', i.e. the backs of many of the colleges, which is the best way to see them if you're not actually entering, though you have to avoid the hordes of strawberries and Pimms guzzling toffs in term-time or the utterly inept tourists at any time; or you can head down river to Grantchester, as in Ruper Brooke ('And stands the clock ay 10 to 3/And is there honey still for tea?', Grantchester epitomising all he pined for in the fields of France whilst at war), and as in Pink Floyd. You can stop your punt and have a picnic or whatever in Grantchester Meadows, a PF song title. Surprising amount of nocturnal activity down there. Punting is amazingly good exercise. It takes an hour to get there, and I did it both ways, so am still sore, not exercising those upper body exercises enough in general.

So now you know, Bobster.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Hey Otis.....this is something that I've always wanted to do. Can you tell me how i go about it. i might take the lovely Mrs Doofster for a punt over the summer. Where in Cambridge do we go ?
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Happy Birthday from me too! (One day of self-control re:Internet, and everything just slips away from me...)

How many of those borderline-inappropriate kisses are going around?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

hey otis, mug made a point of telling us of your b-day while we were heading into to see elvis saturday in Boston. many many happy returns of the day.

when i next get to england, i want to go punting!!! that sounds cool.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Jackson Doofster wrote: i might take the lovely Mrs Doofster for a punt
Hey Jackson, someone said they take me for a punt....at least I think they said punt............ :lol: :lol: :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Gilli, as long as they don't take you for a fool... and who would?

Personally I think borderline-inappropriate kisses are one of the chief joys of adult life, and there should be as many as possible, don't you, MBA?
mood swung

well, it's a little late, but better late than never...

Post by mood swung »

happy b-day to you-uuuu-uuuuu, Mr. Westinghouse!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Otis is 39! Well, damn...he doesn't look a day over 37.

:oops:
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

SLC: that's because that photo was taken two and a half years ago!!! I'm now wrinkly and sad-looking, with a goatee with a worrying percentage of grey in it.

MBA: you don't have to be married, but it helps.

JD: as described, up the 'backs' or off to Rupert Brooke-land. To be combined with a visit to Westinghouse Mansions.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Don't talk to me about grey-speckled goatees and beards, Otis. GRRRROWL.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Thanks, Otis, for the response....I actually thought I posted a long, rambling dissertation on how I actually DID see "Brideheads" but forgot it, about the American meaning of "punting" and how I, as a alumni (alumnus?) of Venice High School can be technically termed a "Gondolier" even without having ever gondoed! I then thought I closed by reiterating the original happy birthday thought.

But I guess I didn't.....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!