Squeeze on VH1 Bands Reunited

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
HolyCoatAndHat

Squeeze on VH1 Bands Reunited

Post by HolyCoatAndHat »

Squeeze will be on VH1 Bands Reunited this Friday night. (9PM Central time, Jan 30th)

I have never seen the show, but according to a friend of mine, it is a one hour show were the bands have a choice to reunite to play a few songs or not. Some times they get back together, some times they do not.

Here is a link with more info: http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/bands_reun ... sode.jhtml
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

sounds great. When I spoke with Glenn T last year, he was far from complimentary about Chris's solo work. He called it 'different'. I have always thought it a huge mistake for them not to be working together. Like Lennon and McCartney, they need each other to produce great songs. Glenn's solo record was good, but not in the same league as the likes of Play, Argy Bargy, SFP or East Side Story.

However, Chris and Glenn have very different views on touring. Glenn loves its and Chris does not. Perhaps they should just be a studio band. Having said that, they are one of the most entertaining live bands i have ever seen, so that would be a shame.

Will this programme be on in the UK?
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Thanks for the tip, Holy Coat! I do love Squeeze and I will tune in Friday for this show. I've never actually seen this particular show on VH-1 - sometimes shows completely come and go before I find out about them. :lol: This one I want to see for sure!

Jackson: I don't know what the schedule is in the UK, but I'll see what I can find out for you - I know how you feel about Squeeze. :wink:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks Spooky. *fingers crossed*

Now, when will the Elvis Costello & The Attractions show be on?

I'm not sure of the format of this show but could you imagine the audience wanting them to play together and the decision going to the band?

And the chances of Elvis and Bruce ever playing again are...? :lol: Could you imagine Elvis saying to Bruce "Come on Bruce, we may have had our differences but what'dya say we do it for the fans? I'll tell you what, you can even pick the song".

Where's the "not a hope in Hades" icon?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I saw about 15 minutes of last week's episode, in which the host of the show tries to get Frankie Goes To Hollywood to get back together.

From my limited viewing time, I gather that they surprise the band members at their homes or workplaces and spring this idea upon them. Some are enthusiastic about it, some aren't. FGTH's drummer is now a website designer, and he accepted the invitation to get together with the rest of the band, but reluctantly.

They got together in some room somewhere, and the lead singer, whatever his name is, made a grand, fashionably late entrance and was greeted by rolling eyes from the rest of the band. Then they started arguing about who started a big fight the last time they played Wembley.

Then it got tiresome and embarrassing and I turned it off. So I don't know if they ever got back together, but it wasn't looking good when I quit.

I won't be tuning in for the Squeeze episode. I would love to see them get back together, but this sort of format is just undignified and I don't want to watch people I like put on the spot.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

That's awesome. I'm curious to see what kind of lineup they have. I know in their latter days Squeeze really was considered any group with Difford and Tilbrook. Maybe they'll have some of the original members on board for this.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I know there's every chance with a setup like this show has that this could be a complete disaster. I guess I just have special feelings about Squeeze and, deep down inside, I would love to hear them making music again. At least to me, they will always be an above average kind of band and their music is special.

I'm hoping for the best here, but bracing for the worst. Maybe it will be a good thing.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I've seen a couple of the shows: Klymaxx, Berlin, Frankie Goes To Hollywood. The host either goes to the artist's home or place of work and asks the band to reunite for 'a one night only' performance. The bands have split up because of some naming rights disagreement or just because they don't like each other anymore. Sometimes the bands get together, sometimes they don't.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Misha

Post by Misha »

I've seen the Flock of Seagulls one and the Berlin one and the Romeo Void one and half of the Klymaxx one...

I9----Did they perform after all? or did they jump the one lady?

They are actually interesting shows, in a similar vein to watching car accidents....some of them are touching, as everyone is willing to talk at least...FoS and Berlin at least, lotsa hugging and tears...

What else are you going to watch when nothing else is on.........Maybe I should turn the freakin thing off, but I don't..... :cry: :cry:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Misha-

Klymaxx ended up performing without the one girl who was causing the legal troubles. She wanted to perform with the group, but the founding member of the group said she could not perform with her.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Misha

Post by Misha »

Thanks I9---

I suppose that was a reasonable response due to what they appear to be going through.....

Boy, were they frosted.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

ice nine wrote:Klymaxx ended up performing without the one girl
ice nine wrote:She wanted to perform with the group
ice nine wrote:she could not perform with her.
Ice Nine - are you a friend of Cope's? :lol: :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i am surprised how long it took this thread to start. i watched the first episode, purely for musical reasons, to see if terri nunn was still delicious and i couldn't believe how so, and it was ok. the other ones i've tried to watch were hard to watch. the alleged cold calls are tacky and jeez they could have picked bands you cared about, with the exception of squeeze. the whole flock of seagulls and kajagoogoo things were novelty deals and those people have been hunted down on other shows. i bet that dramarama episode had high ratings!
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I watched that one last night, Oily, and it was pretty good. I still had a feeling that there would be something at the end - and sure enough, that one band member refused the gig offered after the show had been taped. But, still, it was nice. That insurance adjuster was pretty cool. It looked like no one in his office knew he was ever famous at one time.

I'm still looking forward to tomorrow night's episode with Squeeze, but I can't find out anything for you UK people. Still looking.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I agree that there is no Squeeze, and certainly no "Squeeze" magic without the pairing of Difford and Tilbrook. In the few, yet compelling interviewws that I have seen featuring both of these great musicians, I was amazed that they were obviously at opposite poles of a "Good Creativity" continuum...both excellent, but quite different. They harnessed a dissonance that worked to create a product that ranged from frivolous and fun to deep, introspective, and emotionally charged.

However, I want to add Jools Holland to the mix. With Jools on keyboards, the band seemed to have a more light-hearted pop feel, and the hits just kept on comin'. In his own right, he is a brilliant musician who has brightened the careers of too many artist to count. But as an adjuvant member of Squeeze, I think he did more to act as a creative adhesive between the dipoles of Tilbrook and Difford.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Misha

Post by Misha »

Liked the Dramarama one.....can't wait to see the Squeeze one...hoping I can see it Friday night, but going to be at a friend's house......if not, I'll get the re-run....
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I was watching a bit of the one they did on The Alarm yesterday. It was pretty good, but looking at the website and seeing most of the bands they have done episodes on.. I wonder.. what the hell are they doing trying to reunite some of these godawful bands??

Squeeze should be good, though :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Right. Do we need a Gene Loves Jezebel reunion?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Misha

Post by Misha »

noiseradio wrote:Right. Do we need a Gene Loves Jezebel reunion?
Dammit.....the week isn't up............

Poop!!!!!! I can't say a word!!!!!!!

Noise!!!!
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Just watched the Squeeze episode. Don't want to ruin it for everyone. Let's just say it was interesting. And they actually contacted all the original members, including Jools Holland.
HolyCoatAndHat

Post by HolyCoatAndHat »

I wa just looking through the DishNetwork guide and saw that Squeeze has a 1/2 hour show... I think most of them are 1 hour. My bet is that the do not reunite... Just a gut feeling. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Misha

Post by Misha »

HolyCoatAndHat wrote:I wa just looking through the DishNetwork guide and saw that Squeeze has a 1/2 hour show... I think most of them are 1 hour. My bet is that the do not reunite... Just a gut feeling. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Uh-oh, not a good sign.....it shows that it is coming on at 1pm here in LA, CA..........I'm so glad I don't have to wait, but now I'm less excited to see it......1/2 hour.........not good...... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Yeah, Holy Coat is right. The VH-1 site shows it as a 30-minute show as well and all the others are one hour long.

Bummer. :cry: Can't be good. Just can't be. I was hoping. . .
Misha

Post by Misha »

Saw the Squeeze one this afternoon....My mouth is mum until after tonight.....Don't want to blow the ending...
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Aaaaargh! It's been a long day and I'm already drinking. I could pass out before it even airs and there you sit knowing the secret all along, Misha. Shame on you.

You could tell a drunk, tired woman the truth!!!! :twisted: