Randy Newman Shindig..

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Misha

Randy Newman Shindig..

Post by Misha »

Went to Shock and Awe tonight...I'll list who was there, as most of you will know them, as I do not know a lot of them....

The band Jackshit which is Pete Thomas, Davey Faragher, and Val McCallum.

Perla Batalla
Steve Berlin
Jon Brion
Jennifer Charles
Vic Chestnut
Julie Christensen
E
Van Dyke Parks
Jimmy Fallon--(was bad--and I like him)
Gavin Friday & Maurice Seezer(Gavin was beyond Belief...just amazing!!)
Bill Frisell-- :)
Ellen Greene
Ed Harcourt
David Hidalgo
Robin Holcomb
Bob Neuwirth
Stan Ridgway--Rocked and was great, but cheesy.
Steve Soles
Howard Tate--Is he a shorter black man?
Marc Anthony Thompson
Rip Torn--sucked
John Ventimiglia
Victoria Williams---HATED her.
and even more musicians..

It was pretty cool, I must say..they didn't introduce everyone until the end and then it was a huge amount of people with no control, so I can't tell you who most everyone was....

I can say that I am going to start buying Randy Newman cds. I don't even own one....what a cool night!!! Wish they had introduced people better so I knew what other cds I wanted to get..

Davey was in black pants and cowboy shirt, with black cowboy hat.
Pete was in jeans, black cowboy shirt and WHITE cowboy hat.. They played "My Old Kentucky Home" (or at least I think that is what they played...) :shock:

Now we know who the good guy is....

What nice guys....really!!!
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Misha writes -

Gavin Friday & Maurice Seezer(Gavin was beyond Belief...just amazing!!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Met these guys at a signing session for a charity disc/book set they have been involved in - see

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 69-9882254

and

http://gavinfriday.com/core.shtml

- they were great to talk to , chatting about their In America soundtrack and so on. Although Gavin was clearly hungover as sin - it was a Sunday afternoon before Christmas here in Dublin - he was extremely particular about getting the spelling right of the names of the people I was buying copies for . Elvis `n Diana attended the auction of the paintings from the book - see

http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing ... yp=clbi&nm
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Rip Torn SANG? That's sad.

Does anybody have a setlist for the show?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
ice nine

Victoria Williams

Post by ice nine »

Victoria Williams has some good tracks, but she is one of those artists that with each re-listen she sounds better and better. I have the cd 'Loose', with her song 'Crazy Mary' that Pearl Jam recorded, some members of REM appear on, and she does an excellent version of 'What A Wonderful World'
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_site ... ns_Own.htm

The LookOut music

Newman’s Own: An All-Star Tribute to America’s Favorite Songsmith

By Tomm Carroll
Music Critic

Jan 27 -- “Feels Like Home” indeed. That song and over 40 others from the vast repertoire of singer-songwriter-pianist-composer Randy Newman were performed by a plethora of artists on Saturday night at UCLA’s Royce Hall, which for all practical purposes could have been re-christened “Newman Hall” last weekend.

Following his solo, sold-out show at the venerable venue Friday evening, Newman was feted the next night. Well, feted isn’t exactly the right word; Willner-ized is more like it.

A veritable auteur of star-studded musical and spoken word tributes, producer Hal Willner, who also happened to be this season’s Artist in Residence at UCLA, presented the eclectic, three-hour-plus “Shock and Awe: The Songs of Randy Newman,” an all-Randy, all-the-time concert of contemporary Americana that recalled in depth and breadth “The Harry Smith Project,” the now legendary tribute to the great folklorist’s music collection that Willner staged at Royce a few years ago.

Backed by an orchestra of horns and strings, led by guitar great Bill Frisell and pedal steel master Greg Leisz, a well as the country rock trio Jack Shit (featuring Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher of Elvis Costello’s band), a bevy of musicians and even some actors took center stage to sing praises to Newman with his own material.

Virtually every number was a winner, even the composer’s more esoteric songs; well-known chart-topping tunes like “Short People” and “I Love L.A.” were wisely missing in action. This was a salute to Newman’s oeuvre, not his “greatest hits.” All of which means there were many notable performances.

Among the highlights were Stan Ridgway’s renditions of “Bad News from Home” and especially “Rider in the Rain,” both of which were almost transformed into Ridgway’s own sardonic road-trip style of songs; Irish singer Gavin Friday’s theatrical readings of “Germany Before the War” (as a Kurt Weilly whisper vocal) and “You Can Leave Your Hat On”(as a playful sexual braggadocio that reclaimed the song from Joe Cocker); Victoria Williams getting weepy with “Texas Girl at the Funeral of her Father” and at her usual quirky on “Davey the Fat Boy”; and Los Lobos’ David Hidalgo’s gorgeous, gospel-like version of “Sail Away” and his tender take on “Going Home.”

Also deserving special mention were Jack Shit’s romp through “My Old Kentucky Home” (sung by guitarist Val McCallum); the sparse blues of Jennifer Charles’ “Let’s Burn Down the Cornfield”; pianist Van Dyke Parks joining Frisell and Leisz for an amazing recreation of the main title of the film “Ragtime”; E (of the Eels) turning “Living Without You” into one of his own lonely laments; actor Rip Torn at his most snarly Newmanesque (but unfortunately forgetting a few of the words) on the very timely “Political Science”; pianist/singer Robin Holcomb’s avant-garding of “Shining”; the all-soul-and-strings arrangement of “Louisiana 1927” featuring Howard Tate; Ed Harcourt’s beautifully lethargic “I Think It’s Going to Rain Today” and a folksy minstrel version of “Dayton, Ohio” by Jon Brion.

The only overt political statement was made by wheelchair-bound alt-country icon Vic Chestnutt, who sported a knit cap in which was sewn “Bush is a Lying Cracker.” The artist, who performed several tunes, including a stunning “I Want You to Hurt Like I Do,” also sang the last song, for which all of the singers emerged to sing back-up.

Dedicating the finale to “our lovely Mr. President,” Chestnutt led the ensemble through a Depression-era jazz-style “Mr. President (Have Pity on the Working Man).” And yes, he left his hat on.

Copyright ©1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 surfsantamonica.com.
All Rights Reserved.
Misha

Post by Misha »

I would say that sums it up nicely.

Except that Davey was a singin' pretty clearly, too!!!

I thought that was Howard Tate...this helps me some with some music I want to check you!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "I love John Foyle".....wait, maybe I've never said that on the boards......whoops....

:D :wink:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
BlueChair

Re: Victoria Williams

Post by BlueChair »

ice nine wrote:Victoria Williams has some good tracks, but she is one of those artists that with each re-listen she sounds better and better. I have the cd 'Loose', with her song 'Crazy Mary' that Pearl Jam recorded, some members of REM appear on, and she does an excellent version of 'What A Wonderful World'
I saw her open for Lou Reed, and was pretty impressed. Her husband is Mark Olson, who used to be co-leader of The Jayhawks and now tours/records with her. The Jayhawks song "Miss Williams' Guitar" from Tomorrow The Green Grass is about Victoria.

The thing that amazed me the most about her performance was that when it was over and the lights went back on, she went up and sat at the edge of the stage and talked to whoever wanted to go talk to her from the audience for a while.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

BlueChair wrote:Rip Torn SANG? That's sad.
Mr. Torn played a country star in the little seen 70's gem, "Payday." It was an amazing performance -- don't remember his singing being good, exactly, but it was believeable.

The oddest part about seeing that movie (just saw last year) was that the young Rip Torn looked a lot like Bill Paxton. Bad news for Paxton, I guess.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!