Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at Majestic Theatre, San Antonio, TX, January 22, 2024

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at Majestic Theatre, San Antonio, TX, January 22, 2024

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters with Charlie Sexton will play the Majestic Theatre in San Antonio, TX on Monday January 22, 2024.

This will be Elvis' first concert in San Antonio. Tickets range in price from $39 to $500. Maybe 60% of tickets have sold, so lots are still available.

The Majestic Theatre was built in 1929 and was designed in a Spanish Mediterranean style (according to the venue website). Let us hope that it has a roof, unlike Teatro del Generalife in Granada, where Elvis and Steve's show in September was cut short by a rain storm.

Who's going?

MOOT
Charles

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at Majestic Theatre, San Antonio, TX, January 22, 2024

Post by Charles »

I’ll be rounding out the Texas triangle with this show!
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at Majestic Theatre, San Antonio, TX, January 22, 2024

Post by johnfoyle »

Looking forward to reviews
Charles

Post by Charles »

I have an extra ticket if anyone is interested.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://elviscostello.info//wiki/index. ... an_Antonio

01. A Town Called Riddle
02. You Belong To Me
03. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
04. Radio, Radio
05. My Baby Just Squeals (You Heel)
06. I Don't Want Your Lyndon Johnson - including Gimme That Wine
07. Like Licorice On Your Tongue
08. Man Out Of Time
09. Watching The Detectives
10. A Face In The Crowd - EC on piano
11. Blood & Hot Sauce - EC on piano
12. Everybody's Crying Mercy
13. Clubland - including Ghost Town
14. Dio Come Ti Amo / Almost Blue
15. Be Real / (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
16. Wonder Woman
17. Watch Your Step
18. Everyday I Write The Book
19. Alison - including Somewhere and Over The Rainbow
20. Big Stars Have Tumbled
21. No Action - sung by Nina Diaz in Spanish
22. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - sung by EC & Nina Diaz
23. Pump It Up - Nina Diaz on guitar
24. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea - Nina Diaz on guitar
25. Mystery Dance - Nina Diaz on guitar
26. Less Than Zero - Nina Diaz on guitar
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles

Post by Charles »

My mind is blown! Incredible show! WOW!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Charles wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:48 pm My mind is blown! Incredible show! WOW!
Mine too! And great to finally meet you Charles!
Amazing coincidence being seated one row behind you.
Charles

Post by Charles »

It was crazy indeed! Safe travels and it was great meeting you.
Brodsky

Post by Brodsky »

Great photos. Totally looking forward to this Thursday's show in Kansas City!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio/el ... w/33629773

Elvis Costello performed compelling, if unfamiliar, set for first-ever San Antonio show

Elvis Costello’s creative capabilities were on full display during his first-ever San Antonio show, performed Monday night at the Majestic Theatre. It’s too bad the crowd, mostly comprised of Baby Boomers, couldn’t generate the energy the legendary singer-songwriter seemed to covet as he served up an eclectic mix of unreleased songs, deep cuts, covers and classics.

Dressed in Scottish Highland garb and sporting his mother’s family tartan, Costello stood downstage early in the set, gesturing with his fingers for the audience to give it up following numbers. He also spun tales about his education through music. “I learned more from records than I ever did books,” he said.

Backed by the Imposters — Davey Faragher on bass, Steve Nieve on keyboards, Pete Thomas on drums and San Antonio native Charlie Sexton on lead guitar — Costello delivered a set front loaded with unreleased tracks and unfamiliar arrangements of the classics fans craved.

The show got off to an energetic start with “A Town Called Riddle” from an unproduced musical, followed by “You Belong to Me” from the 1978 album This Year’s Model and “Hetty O’Hara Confidential” from 2020’s Hey, Clockface. The 69-year-old Costello took a little breather to talk about Bruce Springsteen, the inspiration for what may be his most iconic tune, “Radio Radio,” which he unleashed before slipping into more unreleased material.

The performance of “Man Out of Time” was sung at a slower pace than the music, just like his first hit single, “Watching the Detectives.” The noir feel of that song was amped up significantly with black lighting and a heavy dose of melodica from Nieve.

The songs became more familiar as the show progressed, even if the arrangements weren’t. “(Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes,” for example, had a comfortable South Texas cantina feel. However, Costello may have reached too far vocally on his arrangement of “Dio Come Ti Amo / Almost Blue.” As a performer, he clearly knows the limits of his upper vocal range, but he pushed past them just the same.

The audience energy Costello had been craving throughout the night finally arrived when he called Nina Diaz — the frontwoman of San Antonio’s disbanded Girl in a Coma — onstage. She sang the opening track on his 2022 album Spanish Model, a Spanish-language reimagining of This Year’s Model.

The guest's presence triggered the trip down memory lane as the Imposters plus Diaz ripped through what could best be described as an encore. The Boomers — and everyone else — responded. “Pump It Up,” “(I Don’t Wanna Go to) Chelsea,” “Less Than Zero,” “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” and the rarely heard “Mystery Dance” from Costello’s debut album were what the crowd had been anticipating.

For those older members of the audience, the familiar tracks in the finale were almost as welcome as the house lights coming up.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 5764097214

Thank you, Nina..
Your guest appearance on “No Action” (and all those impromptu tunes) made our San Antone debut!!!
Thanks to all at the Magnificent Majestic.
Rolling out of Texas and hearing for K.C.

@NinaDiazSolo @ElvisCostello

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Arnie

Post by Arnie »

sweetest punch wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:43 am https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 5764097214

Rolling out of Texas and hearing for K.C.

Rolling?

Is the band traveling by bus? San Antonio to KC is a long-ass drive. I could see the gear going by bus, but I'm trying to imagine the comfort of a 6 member band doing a tour with all these stops, living out of a bus. 7-0-7 I thought had referred to a BOEING 707. :lol: Selfishly, I just want them to be comfortable and not worn out by the time they get to St. Louis on Friday!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Charles wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:40 am It was crazy indeed! Safe travels and it was great meeting you.
Charles, check this:
https://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/article/elvis-costello-san-antonio-majestic-theatre

(scroll down to fan pics) :D
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Arnie wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:45 am
...I just want them to be comfortable and not worn out by the time they get to St. Louis on Friday!
Arnie, if you read this before St Louis, I sent you a PM about possibly live texting me the setlist for real time updating of the wiki.

We've done this for the last four shows' setlists, courtesy of Charles, Jim and ANCT.

2024-01-25 Kansas City
2024-01-22 San Antonio
2024-01-20 Austin
2024-01-19 Dallas
Charles

Post by Charles »

Azmuda wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:51 am
Charles wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:40 am It was crazy indeed! Safe travels and it was great meeting you.
Charles, check this:
https://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/article/elvis-costello-san-antonio-majestic-theatre

(scroll down to fan pics) :D
Haha! Yup, I saw that! Thank you