Elvis’s songs in stage adaptation of the movie “Cold War”

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis’s songs in stage adaptation of the movie “Cold War”

Post by sweetest punch »

viewtopic.php?p=7756651#p7756651

(…)
Are you currently working on new things?
«For 7 years I have been involved in a musical for which I wrote many songs. Then I'm participating in the production of a theater show in London and recently I collaborated with Joker Out, the young Slovenian rock band that was at Eurovision this year. I think if I were on stage next to these beautiful 20-year-olds, their fans would be shocked and wonder 'who brought that gentleman up?'
(…)
Last edited by sweetest punch on Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis participating in the production of a theater show in London

Post by verbal gymnastics »

This certainly passed me by originally. Thanks.

Anybody have any idea about this or seen it mentioned elsewhere?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Oooooh - "participating in a theatre production" - not HIS theatre production - someone else's mebbe?'
verbal gymnastics

Is it yours? Are you keeping this as a massive secret? :wink:
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Neil. wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:57 pm Oooooh - "participating in a theatre production" - not HIS theatre production - someone else's mebbe?'
Perhaps Elvis has a part in a pantomime?

He could do that couldn't he? "Oh no he couldn't". "Oh yes he could...." and so on.

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Like a pantomime villain your best jokes are behind you :lol:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://amp.theguardian.com/stage/2023/ ... da-theatre

Oscar-nominated romance Cold War to have major London stage adaptation

Elvis Costello songs to feature in play by Girl from the North Country’s Conor McPherson, directed by Rupert Goold at Almeida theatre

London’s Almeida theatre has announced a stage adaptation of stylish Oscar-nominated romance Cold War.

Paweł Pawlikowski’s film captivated audiences in 2018 with its postwar tale of two musician lovers whose passion is disrupted by the privations of the eastern bloc. After premiering at Cannes, Cold War earned three nominations at the Academy awards and four at the Baftas.

Now it is being adapted for the stage by Conor McPherson, the Irish playwright who vividly dramatised Bob Dylan’s songwriting in Girl from the North Country.

Set to run at London’s Almeida between November and January, the production will be directed by the theatre’s artistic director Rupert Goold. Elvis Costello songs will feature alongside choral works and traditional Polish folk songs.

Anya Chalotra, known for the lead role of Yennefer in TV fantasy drama The Witcher, will play the headstrong Zula, while Luke Thallon – recently directed by Goold in the Peter Morgan play Patriots – will play her pianist lover Wiktor. Also announced in the cast is Elliot Levey, who won an Olivier award in 2022 for his performance in Rebecca Frecknall’s West End production of Cabaret.

Cold War is another foray into musical theatre for Goold, following his 2022 production Tammy Faye, a new musical about the US televangelist of the same name. It featured music by Elton John, lyrics by Jake Shears and a book by James Graham, and won two Olivier awards this year for actors Katie Brayben and Zubin Varla.

Goold also recently collaborated with Graham on Dear England, a National Theatre play about Gareth Southgate’s tenure as England football manager.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis participating in stage adaptation of the movie “Cold War”

Post by sweetest punch »

Cold War songs that we know already are “I Do (Zula’s Song)” and “The Difference”.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle

Re: Elvis’s songs in stage adaptation of the movie “Cold War”

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.lesoleil.com/2021/04/17/elv ... de3ab9dd0/

April 2021

(extract )

BETWEEN POLAND AND FINLAND

Elvis Costello recorded some of Hey Clockface's pieces alone in a Finnish studio. Again, the idea was to change the air and reshuffle the cards in his creation.

"When I went to Helsinki, this rhythm and this strange rock sound was conditioned by the fact that I was alone. I didn't have a drummer. Most of the percussion is vocal..." he suggests.

However, it was somewhere in Poland that this great cinephile found the inspiration for this last complete album. "Two songs from Hey Clockface were written in reaction to Pawel Pawlikowski's film Cold War," Costello said. This is the case of Revolution #49, covered in French by Isabelle Adjani.

"I imagined it was set in a snowy landscape of Poland in 1949," he says. That's why the song is called Revolution #49... With a little nod to the Beatles. From the beginning, there was this link between Polish and English. And Pawel's film travels from Poland to France. For me, it made sense for Revolution #49 to make the same journey."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://myprivacy.dpgmedia.nl/consent?s ... b6bbc%252f

5. Movie: Cold War

'I also saw Cold War in a film house in Liverpool. A black and white film by Polish director Pawel Pawlikowski that was released this year. It is about a music company trying to survive in communist Poland in 1949. The repertoire, which mainly consists of folk music, must now focus on the revolution and Stalin. A romance develops between the company's boss and one of the singers. I won't reveal too much of the plot, but one of the two flees to the West. And what is so clever, the folk music you hear in Poland, just like the character, undergoes a transformation. You hear the same melody in a Parisian jazz club, but arranged for a jazz quintet. Fantastic. And then the brooding power games between the two main characters.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I hope Revolution 49 is not in the musical! Must remind myself of Zula's song - Clockface has been off my radar since 'Boy Named If' blasted it clean off the face of the earth!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

Neil. wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:13 pm I hope Revolution 49 is not in the musical! Must remind myself of Zula's song - Clockface has been off my radar since 'Boy Named If' blasted it clean off the face of the earth!
Clockface is far superior to BNI, in my opinion.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://ticketing.almeida.co.uk/events/6828

General sale of tickets started yesterday, Oct. 3rd.

I've booked for the matinee at 2Pm on Saturday , 16th of December.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.whatsonstage.com/news/full- ... d_1536855/

Full cast for Cold War musical at the Almeida confirmed
The show opens next month in north London

The Almeida Theatre has unveiled the full cast for its upcoming world premiere production of Cold War, an adaptation of Paweł Pawlikowski’s Academy Award-nominated film.

Artistic director Rupert Goold will direct the piece, which features music from the original film and songs by Grammy Award-winner Elvis Costello.

It is is scheduled to open on Tuesday 12 December, with previews starting on Thursday 30 November. It will run until Saturday 27 January.

The cast for this production includes the previously revealed Anya Chalotra, Elliot Levey and Luke Thallon, alongside the newly announced Ali Goldsmith, Ryan Goscinski, Elliot Harper, Ediz Mahmut, Anastasia Martin, Alžbeta Matyšáková, Jordan Metcalfe, Katarina Novkovic, Sophie Maria Wojna and Alex Young.

Conor McPherson is responsible for the book of the adaptation, based on Paweł Pawlikowski’s multi-award-winning film about two Polish creatives who fall in love in the midst of the Cold War.

Simon Hale serves as the music supervisor, orchestrator, and arranger. The choreography is by Ellen Kane, Jon Bausor is the set designer, Evie Gurney is the costume designer, Paule Constable is the lighting designer, and Sinéad Diskin is the sound designer. Jo Cichonska is the musical director, and the casting is overseen by Amy Ball CDG.

Cold War is presented in association with Tanya Seghatchian and John Woodward, as well as Sonia Friedman Productions, and it receives support from the Ruddock Foundation for the Arts.

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.nickhernbooks.co.uk/cold-wa ... uV6E8EfkUw

Cold War (stage version)

Adapted by Conor McPherson Original author Paweł Pawlikowski
Paperback £8.79 This edition isn't available yet, but you can be amongst the first to receive it by pre-ordering now! Pre-order
Ebook £8.79
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

From Facebook: the musical contains 3 old EC songs, 2 recent EC songs and 2 new ones.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001t983

Loose Ends - BBC Radio 4 - December 9, 2023

Clive Anderson and Emma Freud are joined by Elvis Costello and Conor McPherson, Martin Kemp and Suranne Jones for an eclectic mix of conversation, music and comedy. With music from Roachford and Ify Iwobi.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/thea ... 24027.html

The best (non-festive) shows to book this Christmas from Stranger Things to David Tennant's Macbeth
Want to hit the theatre but sick of the seasonal fare? Look no further...

(…)
Cold War at the Almeida Theatre

Conor McPherson adapts Pawel Pawlikowski’s Oscar-nominated film set in communist-controlled Poland, with new songs by Elvis Costello. This is an epic love story that spans decades and countrys and stars Anya Chalotra, Luke Thallon and Elliot Levey.
(…)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.timeout.com/london/news/the ... ber-120123

The best new London theatre openings in December
From David Tennant in ‘Macbeth’ to Bluey’s stage debut, it’s a December to remember

Though pantomime season is in full swing and the halls are now thoroughly decked, December actually means a last-gasp burst of prestige theatre to finish the year, as celebrities cram in a cheeky play outside of filming season and big new stage shows look to launch during a season of maximum attention. From David Tennant doing Shakespeare to the London stage debut of beloved cartoon dog Bluey, it’s a blockbuster month.

(…)
4. Cold War

Although there have been a few grumbles at the lack of Polish talent involved, there’s no denying that the Almeida’s new musical is a very handsome prospect, as Elvis Costello and Conor McPherson adapt Paweł Pawlikowski’s hit indie film about a pair of star cross’d lovers who vow to escape communist Poland. Anya Chalotra and Luke Thallon star in Rupert Goold’s production.
(…)