Elvis & the Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Beacon Theatre, New York, NY July 13, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Elvis & the Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Beacon Theatre, New York, NY July 13, 2023

Post by bronxapostle »

Who's going? I will probably make my first ever Stub Hub purchase as I see tix in upper balcony there for $40. Why stay home???

Am I correct this thread had never been started by our MOOT? I tried to recreate your grammar/parsing. Lmk if i am in error with a comma or two. :D
elvicos01

Re: Elvis & the Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Beacon Theatre, New York, NY July 13, 2023

Post by elvicos01 »

I’ll be there
Why are we racing to be so old?
Newspaper Pane

Re: Elvis & the Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, Beacon Theatre, New York, NY July 13, 2023

Post by Newspaper Pane »

I will be there both nights. Taking my older sister night 1 .
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Newspaper Pane wrote:I will be there both nights. Taking my older sister night 1 .
A++
GetHappy!!

Post by GetHappy!! »

Detectives new arrangement is fabulous. It’s like Double Indemnity coming to life. I think I saw Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck on stage. :D

Edit: Comedians might have been the absolute highlight though.
GetHappy!!

Post by GetHappy!! »

Ha, just realized I posted this in the wrong thread!
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

Having just returned from vacation and being buried at work, I was going to sit this one out. The addition of the horn section and a great deal on StubHub changed that. I’ll be there!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I assume someone will be able to identify song #6.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 3_New_York

01. Pills And Soap
02. Possession
03. Newspaper Pane
04. Like Licorice On Your Tongue
05. Alison - including I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
06. unidentified
07. Almost Blue
08. Come The Meantimes - including I'll Take You There
09. Watching The Detectives
10. Shut Him Down
11. I Do (Zula's Song)
12. The Comedians
13. Toledo
14. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
15. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
16. High Fidelity
17. Cinco Minutos Con Vos
18. Shipbuilding
19. We Are All Cowards Now
20. Poisoned Rose
21. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
22. Pump It Up
23. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Nick Lowe
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

All or Nothing at All
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

I definitely preferred Night 1. The crowd tonight was pretty bad. Tepid applause, a lot of talking during songs, tons of people getting up to go get drinks or restroom during slow songs/non-hits. People rudely yelling to EC (e.g., "play some rock n roll!") It seemed to bother EC, at least that's how it seemed to me. This crowd was more casual fans expecting greatest hits. Heard several people complaining on the way out that they only knew 4 songs.

Those who picked 1 show and went to night 1 made the correct choice!

Also, he played the FULL fast version of I Can't Stand Up tonight, which was fun.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Love your recap PANE!! I especially always like when I do pick the correct night to attend of a two night run! :D Sorry our visit was momentary Wednesday night, but the good Lord willing, we get a show or two more together before years end. I love when he announces his next visit right after this one concludes. Hope we hear something soon. Stay well till next time, EVERYONE....PLEASE!! peace, ba
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

As always, Elvis never disappoints. I’ve been to more that 100 shows since April 79, and he’s never mailed it in, as some others have alluded to. His voice (obviously) isn’t what it was, but he is a far better singer / showman as he’s aged, like a fine wine.

I walked out last night feeling throughly satisfied with the set list, performance, but there was something missing. I went to the show at Tanglewood and sat 9 rows from the stage, and there was an energy in that show that I didn’t feel last night. This could be because I sat 1st row in the Loge instead of the floor.

I am not a fan of the Beacon shows. There seems to be an air that ‘its just a night out’, and people are more interested in their phones than the show. I’ll get more into this below.

Highlights
- The Imposters are a great band. Pete and Davey were fantastic last night. I got into Elvis as much because of Pete and Bruce, but this may have been the best Pete / Davey night I have been at. This was especially evident on ‘Shut Him Down’
- ‘Shut Him Down’ – What a great song. I will go back and listen to this song again. Donny McCasin was fabulous.
- ‘All or Nothing At All’ – a nice surprise. Elvis sounded great on this.
- ‘Like Licorice on Your Tongue’ I read someone else, that this could had ‘Pads Paws and Claws’ vibe. I agree with that when I heard this @ Tanglewood, but this stands out even more with the horn section.
- ‘Hey Clockwork’ – This isn’t an album that I regularly listen to, but hearing ‘Newspaper Pane’ ‘We’ Are All Cowards Now’ and ‘I Do (Zula’s Song)’ live, I’ll go back to this album soon.
- ‘I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down’/ ‘High Fidelity’. A throwback to the Punch the Clock Tour.
- ‘Peace, Love & Understanding‘ with Nick Lowe. A first for me.

Misses
- Not hearing ‘Mr & Mr’s Hush’. I enjoy the live version of this song better than the album version.
- ‘Watching the Detectives’ – Elvis seemed off on this. Also had hoped there was more of horn section feature on it.
- The Beacon crowd. Why do you go to a concert to have an ongoing conversation with the person next to you? I’ve never understood this, but this seems to happen more at the Beacon than other venues where I’ve been to. When the person next to me left during ‘Shipbuilding’ I thought the night would improve. Except a woman (who talked the whole night, occasionally drowning out Nick Lowe) decided to jump next be so she could have her picture taken, three times.

There also seemed to be an issue with Steve’s monitor. A lot of arm flailing/arm gestures to raise his levels(?), this went on through most of the night. Was also kind of surprised how often the horn section walked on and off stage, even though they played on the song.

As far as people getting up and down as Newspaper Pane pointed out, if you are a casual Elvis fan, I thought this was a hard show to get into. 10 songs into the set, only two hits/songs the average fan and lots of slow songs. While we all like hearing the deep tracks, many people don’t know them. I took my son last night, his 1st ever Elvis show. After the show, he said he knew 4 songs. He’s not an Elvis fan and has different taste in music than I do. While he enjoyed the show, I kept glancing over during the show, and he had a very stoic look.

Looking forward to the next one
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks for the review.

The horn section seems to be making the shows more interesting.

Other fans have said the guitar solos have been getting longer.

Consistent gripes seem to be the audience expecting a greatest hits show, Elvis’ voice and the sound.

But the positives far outweigh these!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

elvicos01 wrote: - ‘Hey Clock[face]’ – This isn’t an album that I regularly listen to, but hearing ‘Newspaper Pane’ ‘We’ Are All Cowards Now’ and ‘I Do (Zula’s Song)’ live, I’ll go back to this album soon.
I'm in the distinct minority, but I think Hey Clockface is one of his finest albums. I include Shut Him Down as part of this, even though it wasn't on the record.
Radio_RadioNY

Post by Radio_RadioNY »

It’s been like nearly a month since the show so I’m late to the discussion but oh my god that show was so awesome, I been waiting to hear licorice live before I heard any bootlegs and did not disappoint, I can’t wait for it’s studio take, definitely a pads paws claws vibe as someone else pointed out. This was my first Costello show and had just the right balance of deep cuts and classics. I would’ve liked to heard Radio Radio or New Amsterdam, or maybe something else from punch the clock (missed opportunity to not live debut the one song that never got played, I forget which one tho). But no complaints otherwise. The audience however definitely sucked. So many on phones, shouting at Costello, I think we all heard that annoying drunk lady who yelled like seven times. In an attempt to combat that I let out a request for Eisenhower Blues to be funny. Deep Dark Truthful mirror was a highlight, and I think I officially converted my friend to a fan, (he only knew pump it up before coming with me)