Re: ELVIS solo GRAMERCY NYC February 10, 2023

Post by Newspaper Pane »

Image (8) copy.jpeg
Image (8) copy.jpeg (115.71 KiB) Viewed 7256 times
popguynyc

Post by popguynyc »

Newspaper Pane wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:Is that Eleanor (?) from the Mastersons on violin?
yup
Love the Matsersons - especially when they play with Steve Earle.
Eleanor added great violin and harmonies, along with Brigid Kaelin.
They both crushed it on Scarlet Tide.
Charles

Post by Charles »

The Scarlet Tide:
https://youtu.be/_7rtXTkednY

Sleep of the Just:
https://youtu.be/yG2jvNLaQRM
jmm

Post by jmm »

Great show! Two actually since the solo show and the group effort fit together well but we’re distinctly different also

Reworking songs to get to battered old bird and I can’t stand up as standouts from vastly different angles just show, once again, the (re)imagination and creativity EC shares with us over and over. A forum like these 10 shows provide will give us chances to see that every night!

Sometimes that high wire act is a challenge (red cotton solo on piano and banjo, especially with the couple in front of us using it as a make-out song)

Once the others joined the inventiveness and FUN were having playing was taken up 6 notches!! Moving between the likes of crooked line and long journey home with unique elements like a killer performance on musical saw was a real treat. Since I’d seen the 10 pre-scripted songs I was think scarlet tide and there it was right at the end.

Also happy plu was the final encore (just like night #1). Keeping that to just a single show would be a shame.

Looking forward to Valentines and 3 more + Wellmont before the end of the month.

Thank you Elvis! What a pleasure to enjoy the journey with you.
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Superfan Connor R. writes about the second night: https://www.spin.com/2023/02/elvis-cost ... night-two/
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

jmm is a superfan!!!
jmm

Post by jmm »

bronxapostle wrote:jmm is a superfan!!!
Thanks ba. I can’t hold a candle to you!

Looking forward to seeing you
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

If anyone has a link to the performance of Battered Old Bird, kindly share it here. Thanks!
jmm

Post by jmm »

JerseyPride78 wrote:If anyone has a link to the performance of Battered Old Bird, kindly share it here. Thanks!
BOB was both unexpected & extraordinary. It’d be great to see/hear it again. I’m afraid people who might have captured it might have been put off by the start. Hope I’m wrong

Maybe we can cajole a bonus performance in the next 8 shows! Let’s hope so
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Just back from 4 days in NYC and still trying to process it all.

One of the best Elvis Costello performances I have seen. Right up there with his solo show in Nashville at the Ryman maybe 15 years ago? I don't know. This one was great though, and the song selection is what drew me to this particular night more than the others. Huge fan of KOA, BAC, Trust, SPS, 2 songs from Out of Our Idiot! The only minor flat spot I thought was Battered Old Bird. That arrangement just didn't work for me, but I can let that slide. The Mastersons were an outstanding addition, and perfectly suited to the songs.

Standouts for me were: Heathen Town, Watch Your Step, Home is Anywhere, Last Boat Leaving, American without Tears, Red Cotton, . . . shit, all of them.

A few pictures . . .
Outside the Gramercy
Outside the Gramercy
Elvis pre-show gramercy.jpg (154.39 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
My funny valentine at Novita before the show
My funny valentine at Novita before the show
Elvis my funny valentine.jpg (118.18 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
Down in the Blue Chair waiting for the show to start
Down in the Blue Chair waiting for the show to start
Elvis blue chair.jpg (123.17 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
Last edited by Arnie on Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Couple more pics
rounding out a song
rounding out a song
Elvis finishing a song.jpg (116.11 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
merch haul - individual night shirts!
merch haul - individual night shirts!
Elvis merch haul.jpg (148.64 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
Though Elvis was the highlight, . . . .we had so much fun in NYC. Got to see the Edward Hopper exhibit at the Whitney, which was fantastic. Also walked the Highline, which I cannot recommend enough, though we were very fortunate with a 60 degree day. Also walked the Brooklyn Bridge, 9/11 memorial, the Occulus. Celeb siting, David Schwimmer eating a couple tables away from us at the Odeon. Had oysters at Grand Central Oyster bar. Tramway to Roosevelt Island. Stayed at my sisters place in Brooklyn Heights which had a lot of great places to view the city and places to eat.

With 7 more shows to go . . . . I'm excited and jealous for all of you who are going to be there. Will be following this forum closely. For those on the fence about going, . . . . you must beg, borrow, or steal. Whatever the method, find a way to get there.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Happy for you Arnie...you sound like you had a heck of a stay. Good for you. My longtime joke/wisecrack about us as we age and we deliberate attending these things....if it's about money, FORGET THAT WORRY. my joke being...."WHAT ARE YOU GONNA SAVE IT FOR THE LOUSY KIDS?" Yet, if other issues prevent you doing these things (health...self or others, family care, anxiety or fear) fine and dandy! But don't let money be the issue if it doesn't need to be a worry. Glad you lived it Up Arnie. Where do you reside? Maybe I'll make that town MY next EC road trip. Cheers. Enjoy all.
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

jmm wrote:
JerseyPride78 wrote:If anyone has a link to the performance of Battered Old Bird, kindly share it here. Thanks!
BOB was both unexpected & extraordinary. It’d be great to see/hear it again. I’m afraid people who might have captured it might have been put off by the start. Hope I’m wrong

Found it on YouTube. Wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDrHTtNVDbE
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

JerseyPride78 wrote:
jmm wrote:

Wow indeed!
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
jmm

Post by jmm »

JerseyPride78 wrote:
jmm wrote:

Thanks for finding it!! Wow for sure!!!!
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

bronxapostle wrote:Happy for you Arnie...you sound like you had a heck of a stay. Good for you. My longtime joke/wisecrack about us as we age and we deliberate attending these things....if it's about money, FORGET THAT WORRY. my joke being...."WHAT ARE YOU GONNA SAVE IT FOR THE LOUSY KIDS?" Yet, if other issues prevent you doing these things (health...self or others, family care, anxiety or fear) fine and dandy! But don't let money be the issue if it doesn't need to be a worry. Glad you lived it Up Arnie. Where do you reside? Maybe I'll make that town MY next EC road trip. Cheers. Enjoy all.
St. Louis, crime capitol of the country! Actually, its a great place to live and raise a family. Low cost of living. Fantastic art museum, Missouri Botanical Garden is one of the best in the country, and Forest Park, the Cardinals, the Blues. Several great music venues here where I've seen Elvis play. C'mon over!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I actually stopped over once. Loved the airport. Lol...but would love a Cardinals game. One day I hope to...I'll keep you posted. Best regards, benny
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

jmm wrote:
JerseyPride78 wrote:
jmm wrote:

Thanks for finding it!! Wow for sure!!!!
Absolutely. Thank you.

And great to see Elvis sang the original “swore in Welsh”.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
notarydpo

Post by notarydpo »

A little late to the night 2 party, and new the forum, but thought I'd share a few pics from what was one of the finest EC shows I've seen. Too may highlights to list, but the new arrangement on Battered Old Bird was a definite. Had the unadvertised songs been the ones he instead announced before the onsale, I'd still have chosen this night; it was just that well-structured a setlist. Don't want to flood the thread with pictures, but I've plenty more. If anyone wants them, just message me.

In again for tonight's show (Sunday 19th). Could not be more ready.
Attachments
ec3.jpg
ec3.jpg (192.76 KiB) Viewed 6420 times
ec2.jpg
ec2.jpg (236.27 KiB) Viewed 6420 times
ec1.jpg
ec1.jpg (235.62 KiB) Viewed 6420 times