Elvis , solo, Cobb Centre, Atlanta June 19 '14

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis , solo, Cobb Centre, Atlanta June 19 '14

Post by johnfoyle »

Competition for tickets -

http://woobox.com/bw3bmn/7xw2mx
Last edited by johnfoyle on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis , solo, Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre,June 19

Post by sweetest punch »

Preview with interview: http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/at ... n-atlanta/

Elvis Costello gets stripped-down in Atlanta

Elvis Costello's catalog stretches back to the late 1970s, so no one would blame him if he played old hits like "Allison" or "Watching the Detectives" with a going-through-the-motions feel. But not only does Costello indulge his fans with both classics and newer songs, he finds a way to make the older songs feel new to him every time he plays them.

"Coming to them by surprise, or through another route, I think has proven to be the way for me," Costello said in a recent interview. "It's not always about totally reworking them so that they're unrecognizable, because that doesn't satisfy people's desire to hear them somewhat like they first encountered them."

Instead, Costello often chooses different playlists for each show right before each tour stop, picking songs based on an underlying theme, or the feeling he gets from a venue, or the mood he’s in that particular day.

"I have sort of a rough outline of about five different programs inside of which there are then half a dozen choices at key points in the show," he said. "And then I might tear all of it up and just improvise. That's the most certain way to arrive at a very well-known song without the usual route."

So, Atlanta fans who see Costello on his Solo tour, which will bring him to Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre Thursday, likely will see a different show than he played the night before or will play the night after. It's the first time since 1999 Costello is touring the mid-South without a band, and the man-and-his-guitar intimacy allows him the space to be spontaneous and go where the night takes him.

It's that same spirit of openness that makes Costello one of the most versatile collaborators in rock. He put out the 2013 album "Wise Up Ghost" with hip-hop group The Roots and 2006's "The River in Reverse" with R&B artist Allen Toussaint. And Costello, T Bone Burnett, My Morning Jacket's Jim James, Mumford & Sons' Marcus Mumford, Carolina Chocolate Drops' Rhiannon Giddens and Dawes' Taylor Goldsmith recorded and wrote together on "Last on the River: The New Basement Tapes," due later this year and featuring songs using newly discovered Bob Dylan lyrics.

"Mostly, you don’t decide you’re going to do it — the circumstances present themselves," Costello said. "You can’t invite yourself round to Paul McCartney's house to write songs, you have to be asked. Somebody has to say, "Hey, it'd be great if you wrote a song," and that one song leads to a whole album."

His offbeat partnerships are often serendipitous. He offered the example of Georgia duo Larkin Poe, opening for him during his Atlanta stop. Costello saw them perform at MerleFest in North Carolina years ago, where they "stole the show," he said. That encounter led to the group opening up for him during shows in Canada and Europe. And, when a track needed some extra voices while recording "Basement Tapes," Costello called upon the sisters — who happened to be mixing their album down the street — to lend theirs.

His vast network of musical friends might soon find themselves mentioned in Costello's upcoming autobiography, though they needn’t worry about him mentioning drunken nights or embarrassing stories. Costello, as usual, is interested in getting at the music that fuels the stories.

“It’s not an everything-I-did kind of biography. I have no interest in that," Costello said. "It's much more about the way I hear and the way I’ve heard music. So many lines are drawn between things by experience. I just found that that’s a more unusual tale to tell. With the other stuff, you're arguing with an account of yourself that already exists out there, so why bother?"
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis , solo, Cobb Centre, Atlanta June 19 '14

Post by bronxapostle »

not a peep, or a tweet, or ANY word on this one yet? :? :o :( hope SOMEONE we know is there! tour tally update tomorrow, i hope. g'night!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

247geek
8 minutes ago · Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre
Elvis Costello amazing proformence! #vsco #vscocam #elviscostello @photogridorg
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://twitter.com/dave_carey/status/479832043275452417
@LarkinPoe "Withered and Died"! Holy crap!!! #blownaway #elvislives
They played it together during Elvis' encore. Harmonies were incredible! They did four songs together! Pads Paws and Claws!
I believe Elvis only played "Withered and Died" once before, 30 years ago.
therealjeanlass

Post by therealjeanlass »

I've got a semi-reliable setlist in the works, hang on!
And No Coffee Table

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 9922493370
Larkin Poe wrote:Image

What an incredible night. Singing alongside Elvis Costello is an incomparable experience - we're so happy we get to live the dream for a few more days... Next up: Knoxville & Nashville. #TennesseeTheater #Ryman
therealjeanlass

Post by therealjeanlass »

(Edited, with thanks to Nunki!)
Here you be! Great show- Larkin Poe are wonderful sidepersons. :wink:
Jack of All Parades
King Horse
Either Side of the Same Town
Veronica
Poison Moon
Man Out of Time
Ascension Day
New Amsterdam/You've Got to Hide
Come the Meantimes
EDIWTB
Walking My Baby Back Home
Beyond Belief
WTD
Shipbuilding
Slow Drag w/Josephine
Jimmie Standing in the Rain
With Larkin Poe:
Hoover Factory
Pads, Paws and Claws
Love Field
My Little Blue Window
Withered and Died
Blame it on Cain

(notebook mix-up- not sure about the order of the following)

Radio Soul
Last Year of My Youth
Alison
May be missing something here...
PLU
Last edited by therealjeanlass on Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Good stuff.

I loved their version of Love Field when I saw them with Elvis in Amsterdam.

My little blue window - wow! And wow again for Withered and Died.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/at ... and-decei/

Concert review: Elvis Costello sings of 'love and deceit' in Atlanta

Sometimes concert crowds are maddeningly indifferent about the act they’ve paid to see, chatting throughout the performance or spending more time looking at their phones than watching the show. And sometimes an audience leaves so little question about their love for the artist that they give every song a standing ovation and hang on every sung word. It was the latter type of evening for Elvis Costello during his Thursday night solo show at the Cobb Energy Centre for the Performing Arts, the first time he’s headlining the Mid-South without a backing band since 1999.

But it wasn’t blind, unquestioning adoration – Costello’s been earning his stripes since he broke onto the scene in the late 1970s, and he certainly proved he knows his way around a song and how to charm a crowd during his two-hour-plus set that gave casual fans some big hits (“Veronica,” “Watching the Detectives”) and some interesting B-sides and covers (“Jack of All Parades,” Richard Thompson’s “Withered and Died”)

Costello, who has said he often comes up with a playlist for his solo shows on the spot, told the crowd he planned to play songs of “love and deceit.” His catalog has those in spades, from the sweet, sad “Either Side of the Same Town” and “Poison Moon” to a quirky mashup of his 1980 tune “New Amsterdam” and the Beatles’ “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away.”

While there’s something to be said for hearing Costello’s lush lyrics sung over music provided by the big sound of a full band, there’s also something to be said for hearing the stripped-down versions, with Costello’s distinctive voice and impeccable guitar (and, in the case of “Shipbuilding,” keyboard) as the main attraction. His voice – weathered and telling the story of a man who’s been singing his heart out on stage for nearly 40 years – gives new life to songs we’ve heard hundreds of times when it becomes the focus. “Everyday I Write the Book” with The Attractions is fun and poppy; as sung by a solo Costello, it becomes a little quieter and a little sweeter.

Of course, Costello isn’t all musical genius – he’s charming stories and fun repartee, too. “I can tell I’m back in the South,” he said after an “Elvis is King!” was shouted from the crowd. “I was getting disappointed. I thought you’d become shy and retiring.” He also told a story about his father going from playing standards to becoming a hippie and talked about how he wrote the new song “The Last Year of My Youth” the day before he filled in for Lana del Ray after she canceled a scheduled appearance on “The Late Show with David Letterman.”

Local sisters Larkin Poe – who provided a stellar opening set in advance of their first studio album – joined Costello during his first encore, with Rebecca Lovell's vocals meshing nearly perfectly with his on the plaintive, aching "Love Field" and Megan Lovell playing a mean lap steel guitar on "My Little Blue Window."

It was a night that served as a reminder of Costello's versatility -- playing solo or with others, on his own songs or on covers, he's one of the few artists for whom it doesn't seem like a ridiculous idea to give a standing ovation after every song.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

what a great Hoover Factory!!!!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote: Hoover Factory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrQ8bhBDWDE
Great arrangement! Too bad the video is incomplete. I like the way the 2 of them periodically give each other that look as if to say "holy shit we're singing Hoover Factory with Elvis Costello!"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I agree. Let's hope more footage surfaces.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

No Attractions or Imposters: Just Elvis
By: Kevin Triebsch | AXS Contributor | Jun 21, 2014

To say that Elvis Costello has a cult following would be an understatement. But judging from the first half of his June 19 solo show at the fantastic new Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre in Atlanta, fans needed a little prodding to get involved. After Mr. Costello called out the audience for being “shy and retiring,” they seemed to come alive. Juggling five guitars ranging from acoustic to electric (with many pedal effects at his disposal), he proved to be quite an accomplished guitarist on this, his renowned solo tour.

And then there’s that voice. A distinct and distinguished tone that is unmistakable to anyone with an iota of musical knowledge. Between tunes, he told wonderful stories of his father’s singing career, as well as his grandfather’s singing career (who sang on the White Star Line ships that traveled between the UK and New York City). Funny, poignant and moving, Costello is a pro at connecting with his fans.

Throughout the night, he dipped his toes into some near-jazz improvisations (maybe his marriage to jazz singer Diana Krall has inspired his style?). Whatever the case, fans were hearing Costello’s classics with new ears. “Now I'm going to play a song I hate,” he announced, as he launched into a beautiful rendition of “Every Day I Write the Book.” “It was a hit, so I felt guilty. But it wasn't that big of a hit so I didn't feel that guilty.” He even urged the crowd to join in the call-and-response, to which they finally agreed.

“Shipbuilding” was most mesmerizing, as Costello sat at the organ offering pure entertainment with a side of simple brilliance. A little bit of magic occurred when he sang “New Amsterdam” and seamlessly transitioned into The Beatles’ “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away,” a combo that he’s been doing for decades. Another highlight was “A Slow Drag With Josephine,” in which Costello showed off his expert whistling skills (the second whistling song of the set, no less).

After a near 90-minute set, he left and returned for an encore with openers Larkin Poe. The folk-rock/Americana trio, Georgia natives, did a bang-up job backing their idol on a handful of tunes. “Love Field” was a standout, as was the bluegrassy cover of Richard Thompson’s “Withered and Died,” which Costello preceded with, “This is a sad song but I didn't write it.”

For the second and final encore, Elvis was alone again, shining on “Allison” and a stupendous “Radio Soul” (an early demo version of “Radio, Radio”). For the final song, he called Larkin Poe back onstage for a rousing (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.” If you’re an Elvis fan, don’t miss this tour. Complete set list here.

Larkin Poe actually have a history playing with Costello in the past, and it was evident in how smooth their collaboration went last night. Sisters Rebecca (lead vocals, mandolin, guitar) and Megan Lovell (harmony vocals, lap steel guitar), along with upright bass guy Robby Handley made local fans proud as they ran through a spirited set of original music. It’s no surprise that Mr. C has asked them to open for his next two shows, including the Tennessee Theatre in Knoxville and the world famous Ryman Auditorium in Nashville.

Rich harmonies and exquisite musicianship made this “warm-up” band a delight to behold. With a nod to Vivaldi, the band released four season-themed EPs in 2010 (Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter) and another EP the following year entitled Thick as Thieves. To check tour dates or to hear/buy Larkin Poe music, click here.