New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

Re: New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Probably.

Not sure if this review was posted. Tripwire described as a 'whiny trudge through funkless-ness'!

http://www.righttrackwrongspeed.com/rev ... -up-ghost/
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
rightbrain

Post by rightbrain »

Amazon has something called "Wise Up: Thought Rem" scheduled for November 19. (Is that a real title or a peculiar distortion of "Wise Up Ghost Remix"?)

http://www.amazon.com/Wise-Up-Thought-E ... 00FI2PJ5G/[/quote]

The "Thought" in question must be "Black Thought" . . . perhaps his vocals on the remix version on the way?

Thoughts?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Behind the scenes look at Brent Fischer's orchestrations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gey0EpCGOsY
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.undertheradar.co.nz/review/8 ... -Ghost.utr

Wise Up Ghost
By Elvis Costello and The Roots
8.5 / 10

The bargain bins of music history are littered with ill-advised collaborations. All too often a mutual admiration is mistakenly escalated into a joint effort of unlistenable awkwardness, from which neither party emerges unscathed. Occasionally though, the stars (literally) align and something of real value is created. One such example, Wise up Ghost, is the just-released collaboration between hip hop legends, The Roots and the perennial Elvis Costello.

Crucial to Wise up Ghost’s success is the absence of The Roots MC, Black Thought. Far from being a slight on his ability, this is an important exclusion which frees the band to play the role of Costello’s backing group; a trade they’re well rehearsed in as Jimmy Fallon’s late night house band. Fittingly, Questloves steps into the role of band leader and his heady live drum sound becomes the pivot for the album’s sound – capably connecting the two musical worlds.

The songs themselves vary from straight-up R&B to experimental rock but at its heart, this is a funk record. Underlining this, the half-step beats on songs like ‘Sugar Won’t Work’ and ‘(She Might Be A) Grenade’ are superbly complemented by Costello’s relaxed yet engaged delivery while subtle strings and samples are used to provide flashpoints of interest. Fun, lively and interesting, Wise up Ghost shouldn’t leave fans of either artist disappointed and may even create a few more in the process.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/e ... id=3726549

Elvis Costello and The Roots
Wise Up Ghost

This collaboration between acerbic polymath Elvis Costello and hip-hop combo The Roots isn't as incongruous as it might seem: The Roots bridge old-school funk with hip-hop, and Costello's music has always had undercurrents of rhythm and blues: His 1980 album Get Happy mined Sixties' Motown and Stax R&B, and 2006's The River in Reverse, his collaboration with New Orleans icon Allen Toussaint, found him embracing the plethora of N'Awlins influences. Wise Up Ghost isn't a rock 'n' roll album but it does find Costello sounding refreshingly reinvigorated — it's a funky counterpart to his 1986 release Blood and Chocolate. While no longer that Angry Young Man, Costello is still able to muster the vitriol 'n' verve necessary to match the lyrics, and The Roots provide muscular, full-sounding settings for memorable songs co-written by The Roots' ?uestlove (né Ahmir Thompson).

"Walk Us Uptown" is a fierce hip-hop/funk/reggae amalgamation, with a mischievously surly strut kicking off the proceedings. "Sugar Won't Work" (a line from the Bogart/Bacall film The Big Sleep) and "Refuse to Be Saved" are wiry, snaking, slightly sinister funk tracks that evoke Sly & The Family Stone circa There's A Riot Goin' On, both loaded with punchy, chunky, volatile playing. "Tripwire" is an unlikely title for an aching, forlorn ballad — stylistically mixing doo-wop and Al Green-style Southern soul — rendered all the more potent by Costello's silky, understated delivery and a chorus that won't quit. "Viceroy's Row" has a cool, lounge-y Steely Dan-like vibe. Ghost is Costello's most consistently playable platter since 1996's All This Useless Beauty.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.welovemusic.fr/chroniques/Th ... e_Up_Ghost

Elvis Costello & The Roots : Wise Up Ghost

L'alliance de deux grandes figures de la musique tous azimuts donne lieu à un heureux mariage placé sous le double signe du groove et de l'épure.

En quatre ans de bons et loyaux services sur le plateau du Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, célèbre émission télévisée américaine dont ils sont le house band, The Roots ont accompagné les artistes les plus divers, de Norah Jones à Tyler, The Creator et de Thundercat à Justin Timberlake ; de quoi rajouter bien des couleurs à leur déjà très bigarrée palette musicale. Et c'est d'ailleurs lors de la venue d'Elvis Costello, courant 2012, qu'a germé l'idée de ce Wise Up Ghost, album collaboratif à la croisée des genres et des générations édité chez Blue Note, éminent label de jazz (mais pas que).

Délestée de son rappeur Black Thought, mis à l'écart pour que son phrasé n'interfère pas avec celui de l'icône rock, la bande à Questlove n'en insuffle pas moins un esprit foncièrement hip-hop aux douze pistes (quinze dans sa version deluxe) sillonnant le disque. A vrai dire, hormis les ballades pop-soul Tripwire et If I Could Believe, l'ensemble est comme placé sous l'empire du groove, le règne sans partage d'une rythmique imperturbable et quasi mécanique. Tout autre instrument que la batterie ou la basse fait alors office de contrepoint mélodique, agrémentant discrètement le beat comme le ferait un sample. En résulte un son rugueux qui, à l'imitation d'une prod tout droit sortie d'une SP-1200 ou MPC 3000, empile les emprunts et références aux vieux disques estampillés Motown, Stax ou même Josie. Ainsi, Refuse To Be Saved pourrait très bien porter la griffe de Norman Whitfield, Sugar Won't Work ne dépareillerait pas dans le répertoire de The Meters et Walk Us Uptown s'insérerait sans mal dans la discographie de The Bar-Kays. N'en oubliant pas non plus de glisser un clin d’œil à l'un des plus grands créateurs de ces deux dernières décennies, l'équipe se fend d'une doublette de morceaux, Cinco Minutos Con Vos et Viceroy's Row, rappelant très clairement le regretté J Dilla.

Et Costello dans tout ça ? nous direz-vous. Eh bien, Costello, il signe ou cosigne une bonne part des compositions, gratte un peu de guitare, pianote sur un antique Wurlitzer et tape dans l'oeuvre du poète Ezra Pound pour ses chansons. Mais là où il se montre le plus brillant, c'est encore derrière le micro ; parfaitement adapté au jeu métronomique de ses camarades, il chante comme s'il avait grandi avec un ghetto-blaster sur l'épaule, dans un registre mêlant influences rhythm and blues et (un tout petit peu) rap. Une aisance qui ne surprendra guère les fidèles du bonhomme, eux qui le savent capable d'évoluer en terrain soulful, le formidable Get Happy!! faisant foi.

Rompus aux expériences transgénérationnelles depuis leur collaboration avec Al Green et Betty Wright, The Roots, véritables architectes de Wise Up Ghost, prouvent une fois de plus que le hip-hop ne connaît pas de frontières et ne s'interdit aucun mariage. Enfin, encore faut-il accepter que la mélodie soit reléguée trois grades au-dessous de la rythmique...
--------------------

Google translation:

Elvis Costello & The Roots : Wise Up Ghost

The combination of two great figures of all-round music leads to a happy marriage under the double sign of the groove and the blueprint .

In four years of loyal service on the set of Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, famous American TV show they are the house band , The Roots accompanied the most diverse artists, Norah Jones Tyler, The Creator and Thundercat Justin Timberlake , will add much color to their already colorful musical palette . And it is also at the coming of Elvis Costello, in 2012 , that the idea of the Wise Up Ghost collaborative cross genres and generations published by Blue Note album , a prominent label jazz ( but not only ) .

Relieved of his rapper Black Thought , sidelined for his phrasing does not interfere with that of the rock icon , the band Questlove not least instills a spirit essentially hip- hop to the twelve tracks (fifteen in the deluxe version) furrowing disk. Indeed , apart from pop -soul ballads and Tripwire If I Could Believe, all is like under the influence of groove, the free reign of imperturbable and almost mechanical rhythm . Any other instrument or low battery then acts as a counterpoint melody , embellishing quietly beat like a sample . The result is a rough sound that , in imitation of a prod straight out of a SP- 1200 and MPC 3000 , stacks borrowings and references to old records stamped Motown , Stax or even Josie . Thus, Refuse To Be Saved could very well be the hallmark of Norman Whitfield, Sugar Will not Work would look at the directory of The Meters and Walk Us Uptown would fit without difficulty in the discography of The Bar- Kays . Do not forget to slip a nod to one of the greatest artists of the past two decades , the team splits a doublet pieces Cinco Minutos Con Vos and Viceroy 's Row , recalling very clearly the late J Dilla .

And Costello in? we might say. Well, Costello, signature or co-wrote many of the compositions , a little itchy guitar strums on an antique Wurlitzer and pat on the work of the poet Ezra Pound for his songs . But where it shows the most brilliant , it is still behind the microphone , perfectly suited to the metronomic game of his comrades, he sings as if he had grown up with a ghetto -blaster on the shoulder in a register mixing influences rhythm and blues and ( a little ) rap. Ease with little surprise the faithful man , those who know can grow with soulful field, great Get Happy ! authentic .

Broken the generational experiences from their collaboration with Al Green and Betty Wright, The Roots, real architects of Wise Up Ghost , prove once again that hip -hop knows no boundaries and does not no marriage . Finally, it is still necessary to accept that the melody is relegated three grades below the rhythm ...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.telerama.fr/musiques/wise-up ... 103069.php

Wise up ghost

Coup de foudre, coup de fouet : qu'il rencontre les Roots, subtil groupe de Philadelphie, et le grinçant Elvis Costello retrouve toute sa verve.

Pour traverser avec un brin de panache les dernières décennies d'une carrière amortie, Elvis Costello a souvent parié sur le coup de fouet de collaborations plus ou moins inattendues. Après le Brodsky Quartet, Burt Bacharach ou Allen Toussaint, le voici accompagné des Roots, fameux groupe hip-hop de Philadelphie, mené à la baguette par le batteur-producteur Ahmir Thompson, alias Questlove, dont la curiosité dévorante pour la musique populaire peut largement concurrencer la sienne. Ils se sont rencontrés sur le plateau d'une émission télé où les Roots ont leur rond de serviette, et un coup de foudre réciproque les a poussés à enregistrer sans attendre.

A l'origine, il n'était question que de faire groover quelques anciennes chansons mais, au fil des improvisations, les idées ont fusé et le désir s'est étoffé. Sur les très beaux Walk us uptown, Tripwire ou Stick out your tongue, Costello a retrouvé sa verve la plus noire et acide pour peindre une époque qui balance entre guerre et léthargie. Il chante d'une voix blanche, parfois essoufflée, mais les Roots donnent de l'air à son écriture nerveuse et foisonnante. Ils forment sans doute l'orchestre funk le plus efficace et le plus subtil du moment, et leur art du collage sonore donne à ce regain d'inspiration un relief admirable, convoquant, au coeur des nouvelles chansons, le fantôme des anciennes.

----------------
Google translation:

Wise up ghost

Thunderbolt, boost: he meets the Roots, subtle group of Philadelphia, and the squeaky Elvis Costello regains its verve.

To cross with a bit of panache recent decades of a damped career, Elvis Costello often bet on the boost of more or less unexpected collaborations. After the Brodsky Quartet, Burt Bacharach and Allen Toussaint, here accompanied by the Roots, the famous hip-hop group from Philadelphia, driven hard by drummer-producer Ahmir Thompson, aka Questlove, whose voracious curiosity for popular music can largely compete with his. They met on the set of a TV show where the Roots have their napkin, and love at first sight pushed them to record immediately.

Originally, there was no question as to groover some old songs but over improvisations, ideas have blended and desire has grown. Walk on the beautiful uptown us, Tripwire or Stick out your tongue, Costello found its darkest and acid wit to paint a time that balance between war and lethargy. He sings in a flat voice, sometimes breathless, but the Roots give air to his nervous and prolific writing. They are probably the most efficient band funk and subtle at the time, and the art sound collage that gives renewed inspiration admirable relief convening, in the heart of the new songs, the ghost of the old.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.lagaceta.com.ar/nota/562347/ ... uchar.html

Elvis Costello: hip hop y mucho para escuchar

1) Elvis Costello y The Roots coinciden en el show de Jimmy Fallon. 2) Tocan un par de temas. 3) Les encanta lo que salió. 4) Planean un EP. 5) El EP muta en un abanico de 12 tracks. 6) Aquí está el disco. ¿Fin de la historia?

Se abre la cajita y antes del abordaje del booklet la mirada queda clavada en una gran foto de Costello y Questlove. Charlan mientras suena un vinilo. Questlove (Ahmir Thompson dice la partida de nacimiento) es el baterista y factótum de los Roots, la banda de hip hop con asiento en Filadelfia que embarcó a Costello en este particular experimento artístico. El eclecticismo de Costello, su camaleónica capacidad para tocar y cantar todos los registros imaginables, lo saca airoso. Más no victorioso.

La dirección de "Wise up ghost and other songs" está marcada por el velocímetro de la batería de Questlove, por samplers que remiten a varias estaciones de la travesía de Costello, por los bronces y por la superproducción. No es un disco de hip hop, tampoco de rock. La guitarra de Kirk Douglas se hace desear en más de un tema. Cuando puntea la acústica -"(She might be a) grenade"- se rompe la monotonía. Bien ahí. Entonces, ¿es puramente funk? Tampoco. El groove viene y se va, caprichoso.

Diane Birch acompaña el fraseo de Costello en "Tripwire". De pronto nos topamos con "Cinco minutos con vos" y una voz femenino que canta: "mi padre sabía y me lo susurró/voy a Montevideo y espérame ahí (...) Las balas caen y te harán desaparecer". Es La Marisoul, vocalista del grupo La Santa Cecilia, bomba de la fusión angelino-mexicana.

La lírica del disco es desencantada. Será porque Obama no es lo que prometía. Será porque las chicas que desfilan por estos versos no terminan de definirse. Costello tamizó su voz para sonar más fresco. O más actual. O más joven. Por momentos suena extraño. Eso sí: se despide con una balada minimalista exquisita -"If I could believe"-, con el gran Pino Palladino al bajo. y ahí no hay distorsión. Es él, magnífico. ¿Y el disco? Inclasificable, cambiante, desparejo, decididamente interesante.

------------------------
Google translation:

Elvis Costello : hip hop and much to listen

1) Elvis Costello and The Roots agree on the Jimmy Fallon show . 2 ) They play a couple of songs . 3 ) I love how it came out. 4) They plan an EP . 5) EP mutated in a range of 12 tracks. 6) Here's the disc. End of the story ?

He opens the box and booklet before boarding the gaze is fixed on a large photo of Costello and Questlove . They chat while playing vinyl. Questlove ( Ahmir Thompson says the birth certificate ) is the drummer and factotum of the Roots, the hip hop band based in Philadelphia Costello embarked particularly artistic experiment . The eclecticism of Costello , his chameleon-like ability to play and sing all records imaginable , take it out unscathed . More not victorious.

The address of " Wise up ghost and other songs " is marked by the speedometer Questlove battery for samplers that refer to several stations Costello Crossing for the bronzes and overproduction. There is an album of hip hop, rock either . Douglas Kirk 's guitar is desired in more than one subject . When you tap the acoustics - " (She Might Be a) grenade " - it breaks the monotony . Well there. So is purely funk ? Nor . The groove comes and goes , capricious.

Diane Birch Costello accompanies the phrasing in " Tripwire " . Suddenly we come to " Five minutes with you " and a female voice sings : "My father knew and I whispered / I will Montevideo and wait there ( ... ) The bullets fall and make you disappear." Is The Marisoul , lead singer of La Santa Cecilia , pump Angeleno - Mexican fusion .

The lyrics of the album is disenchanted . Is it because Obama is not what he promised . Is it because the girls who appear in these verses do not totally defined . Costello screened his voice to sound cooler. Or more current . Or younger. At times it sounds weird. That's right: goodbye with exquisite minimalist ballad - " If I could believe" - with the great Pino Palladino on bass. and that there is no distortion . It is he , magnificent. What about the album? Unclassifiable , moody , uneven , decidedly interesting.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

sweetest punch wrote:acerbic polymath Elvis Costello
Renaissance man with a bite!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

YouTube video about Brent Fischer and the string arrangements:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gey0EpCGOsY

Dave

whoops, I see Sweetest Punch already posted this
Last edited by FAVEHOUR on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

FAVEHOUR wrote:YouTube video about Brent Fischer and the string arrangements:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gey0EpCGOsY
Dave
Having had a solid two weeks to listen attentively, these string arrangements may well be my favorite part of this record. Mr. Fischer has concocted fresh sounds in his compositions and I think they truly anchor individual songs and the album as a whole. They provide a fevered, dream like reverie setting and they ably assist EC's vocal musings which are chock full of dissolution, disenchantment, dis-service, dissemination and futile desire.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Wise Up Ghost dropped to #67 on Billboard 200.
6'000 copies sold last week.

How such great reviews have convinced so few people to buy this album is beyond me.
I know this in a way reflects general CD sales decline, but I find it quite sad nonetheless.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
jardine

Post by jardine »

I'm wondering whether WUG is the sort of thing that won't simply sell in a burst but will continue selling for a longer period of time (at an uncharted level). Something that gets more slowly discovered, rather than being a sudden big "hit?" This is partially wishful thinking, of course, but I can imagine WUG gradually seeping into a wider acceptance and favor than chart-busting allows, more hand to hand, whisper to whisper. I've got a friend who just discovered national ransom, for example...
earl satz

Post by earl satz »

jardine wrote:I'm wondering whether WUG is the sort of thing that won't simply sell in a burst but will continue selling for a longer period of time (at an uncharted level). Something that gets more slowly discovered, rather than being a sudden big "hit?" This is partially wishful thinking, of course, but I can imagine WUG gradually seeping into a wider acceptance and favor than chart-busting allows, more hand to hand, whisper to whisper. I've got a friend who just discovered national ransom, for example...
I wouldn't expect many people who were never into Elvis to rush out and get WUG. I think it will bring a lot of Elvis fans who had lost interest the past decade back into the fold (I'm one example!)
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Perhaps it is just exemplary of the times-purchase of a physical product is not important to many. Or perhaps it is indicative of the sales pattern which often befalls an aging 'pop' star. I do not believe for an instant that it is time for the ubiquitous 'standards' album to counter falling sales. 6,000 moved in a week is something. Probably the fan base like myself who actually went to a store and purchased a copy though I must admit the aisles were bare outside of myself. I was impressed by the great many positive notices and the relative airplay several of the songs received at least in my neck of the woods- but the euphoria does seem to be dampening. Cannot see stores stocking it on shelves over the long haul though in hope that it will accumulate sales over the long run. Whatever the ultimate sales it is a record that I can envision playing many years from now even if some of the political themes should eventually appear dated and they ultimately evaporate into the thin air as many of the string runs on the album do. :wink:
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Today's London Times - 'The Times' - has a feature on EC/Roots. It's paywalled so there's no point in putting up a direct link. The only print copy I could get was a bit grubby. Based on a interview the day after the Brooklyn show there's nothing terribly new in it,except for the startling news that Elvis has been a New York resident for 25 years and Elvis saying that The Puppet Has Cut His Strings is ' a description of my dad's last days' . The text should be up on wiki soon.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

There are two sides of this coin. Whilst there are Elvis fans who have bought this album, surely there are also Roots fans who have bought the album as well. It's not a one sided affair.

What are the download sales?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some of the Times feature is now on wiki -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... er_3,_2013
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Interesting about the sales figures.

I don't know what it cost for Elvis and the Roots to make this album. I think I'm right in saying they did it in their spare time, for nothing? (Not sure if this includes Steve Mandel)

So they might've sold it to Blue Note, who paid for the pressing and distribution etc. - and presumably they paid for the orchestral bits.

Don't know how much all that costs, and perhaps it will make back those costs over time... but really, what I'm getting to is the (not very original) thought that banking on an album to make a splash these days is just not very realistic. Not many people listen to them - the single song is king.

Elvis should just concentrate on making single songs, and somehow promoting them so that people download that one song.

How he gets that song to be heard is another matter... for example, how on earth did 'Gangnam Style' get to be such a massive hit? HOW?! The dance video that people shared - but who on earth started sharing it? The song's not great - and the video's not that great, really, is it?

So the internet is the way to go, as we've already said on this board - but who on earth would share an Elvis song so that it would go viral?

It'd take some weird, left-field video, I think - one of his songs used totally at random by someone who doesn't even know any other songs of his.

Again, my familiar refrain: a well-placed song in a smash-hit film could be the answer - or one used in a TV theme (but it would have to be the title music or closing credits music, not just one song in one episode). Alas, 'One Day' was anything but a smash, despite the book being hugely popular.

But ultimately, if Elvis wants to make 15-song collections every few years, I hope sales won't put him off! I'm happy to buy 'em, and thrilled that he's still being 'allowed' to make 'em!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I recall EC saying that the $ was not in recorded music - Vinyl/CD/download - but in playing live and merch. I could be confusing him with another artist. Whatever. It seems like creating new music - if your occupation is to create - is the way to go. With his name cred, he will always make $$ on touring.

Still clueless after these years (note: clueless replaced for crazy).. However, feel free to select one or the other. I'm ok with it.

MOJO
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I think I saw something on Twitter that WUG will possibly get a few Grammy Nominations. That could give it a big push.

Lack of airplay and promotion here in the UK cant have helped with sales. Radio 2 probably Costello's natural home in the UK have largely ignored recent releases. Perhaps another single getting on the A list would help. Cant see that happening to be honest though.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I still think that Costello has one semi-surefire way to score a "hit" record, and that's to write and produced an album of new songs written for other singers, and get those singers to agree to appear on the album. It would involve calling in favors from friends like Paul McCartney, but I'll bet if Costello put together a "songbook" type album where he aimed for his wishlist, he would get most of them, maybe even all of them, to agree to appear. If he thought he had a great song for, say, Beyonce, it would be amazing to see what would happen if he recorded her singing it.