Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Who's stoppin' ya?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

The City of Boston is celebrating its 375th birthday. *insert party horn noise*
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I'm headed to the Fall Festival at our kid's school. Woo-hoo - five hours of volunteering, handing the kids money and listening to a choir and recorder concert. Anybody else in? :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:The City of Boston is celebrating its 375th birthday. *insert party horn noise*
That should be paahhhty hahhn, shouldn't it?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

spooky girlfriend wrote:I'm headed to the Fall Festival at our kid's school. Woo-hoo - five hours of volunteering, handing the kids money and listening to a choir and recorder concert. Anybody else in? :lol:
I'd gladly attend a Fall Festival, especially if the band themselves were playing.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
spooky girlfriend wrote:I'm headed to the Fall Festival at our kid's school. Woo-hoo - five hours of volunteering, handing the kids money and listening to a choir and recorder concert. Anybody else in? :lol:
I'd gladly attend a Fall Festival, especially if the band themselves were playing.
Now that would be something - Mark E. Smith performing at a high-school party. :shock:
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Who's stoppin' ya?
my digestive system :(
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Who Shot Sam? wrote: That should be paahhhty hahhn, shouldn't it?

More like paahhhty haaw-un, but yes. :D

Sam Adams has a commemorative '375 Ale' which I sampled lst night. Dunno what they're calling it, style-wise, but it's like a particularly malty bitter... somewhere between pale ale and porter. Great stuff but I doubt it will make it out of Boston; we shall see. The bar/restaurant I frequent with my son (for Friday-night or Saturday-lunch burgers and fries) is about a quarter mile from the original little SA brewery, which now serves as their magic lab for concocting new brews. It's very nice cause we get to taste all kinds of small batch stuff they make.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

if people in mexico eat mexican food everyday, why can't i?
OS, remind me to take y'all to Monterrey's next time you be down.

on a completely different note, my 11-almost 12-year-old son (a/k/a Mr. Easter Suit) wants to quit soccer/school/all normal activities to become a Professional Fisherman. Like Kevin Van Dam. The boy gets points for bullheadedness.

Y'all will think I am full of shit, and you'd be perfectly correct in thinking so, but if you saw this boy with a soccer ball....No Freddy Adu, fer sure, but like a puppy with a bouncy ball. He won't listen to his mother.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:Sam Adams has a commemorative '375 Ale' which I sampled lst night. Dunno what they're calling it, style-wise, but it's like a particularly malty bitter... somewhere between pale ale and porter. Great stuff but I doubt it will make it out of Boston; we shall see. The bar/restaurant I frequent with my son (for Friday-night or Saturday-lunch burgers and fries) is about a quarter mile from the original little SA brewery, which now serves as their magic lab for concocting new brews. It's very nice cause we get to taste all kinds of small batch stuff they make.
Mmmm, sounds good. I like me some Sam.

I once opened a 12-pack of Sam Adams and found one broken, empty bottle inside the box. I called the company to let them know, and they sent me a voucher for a buttload of free beer, a t-shirt and a handwritten apology from the president of the company. I've been searching like mad for more broken bottles, but have had no luck to date. :)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Can't you just break one yourself and sneak it back in there :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Can't you just break one yourself and sneak it back in there :wink:
Now there's an idea. :)
Otis Westinghouse

My wife claims she is incapable of blowing her nose when it's blocked. She spends all the time when she has a cold pulling it back up rather than pushing it out. I maintain it's because she failed to get this sussed as a kid and now as a mental block with it, but my 9-year-old seems to be going the same way, unlike my other two. Could it be that it's a genetic defect, or is it just coincidence? I would have died long ago if I was incapable of this.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I have a genetic defect (not too uncommon) that enables me to blow air through my left tear duct. The whistling eye is a handy party trick, but impractical this time of year; I wear glasses, and when I blow my nose the Left Spectacle gets messy. :oops:
What this world needs is more silly men.
Otis Westinghouse

A lad at school could do that. Weird. Is there an evoultionary reason for a whistling eyeball?
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

We can whistle for help after having been gagged and bound. That's evolution right there.

Either that or we can't have babies.
What this world needs is more silly men.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

noses blocked - yes. Jos can't blow to save her life. Sniffs constantly, like the housemaid understudy in an Agatha Christie. She does NOT have eyes like boiled gooseberries, however. She's got her grandpa's brown version of the hazel.

and on another note, one of my co-workers is recovering tonight from emergency surgery on his eye. His lens actually came off (he had them replaced 10 yrs ago) and his retina was bulging thru. thinking of you, Ronnie.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

[THUDDDDDDD] (that's me falling off my chair)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Makes me think of that scene in Buñuel's "Un Chien Andalou":

Ever since I saw that film, the idea of anything touching my eye has filled me with revulsion. It's what keeps me in glasses.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Who Shot Sam? wrote: Buñuel's "Un Chien Andalou":
Now I'm gonna have the Pixies' DEBASER in my head all day... not a bad thing really! :D
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Whose idea was it to have Anne-Sofie Von Otter cover Tom Waits' "Take It With Me" - EC's? Totally misguided cover - the idea of ASvO living in Coney Island makes me laugh. At least they had the good sense to cut out the verse about falling asleep on Beulah's porch and being broken down by the side of the road.

Waits' version shits on it from a great height IMO.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Someone showed a 16mm print of "Un Chien Andalou" at, I kid you not, a meeting of "The Junior Count Dracula Society" when I was 13. No one warned me about that shot...why I didn't faint, I'll never know. In fact, just looking at that picture gives me the willies.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
bobster

Post by bobster »

This was a double post. Now it's just taking up space.....
Last edited by bobster on Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
verena

Post by verena »

Great sentences, WSS ...

You made me think I always loved to say Coney Island, while I absolutely never saw the place. Thank you stars, now I can see why.
Otis Westinghouse

Why is Coney Island so special to so many songwriters? Lou, Van, Bowie, etc. Not to Dylan though. Three seconds on the mighty lyric search facility reveals no matches.

More worrying potential genetic defects concerning the upper respiratory tract in my boys: my father-in-law makes these little grunting exertion noises whenever he has to use a muscle, and ym 12 year old lad seems to have inherited it! I've explored whether he's aware of it, and he clearly isn't. It keeps on happening, and it's going to drive me mad.