9. My Three Sons
10. Song With Rose
11. Pardon Me Madam, My Name Is Eve
12. Go Away
thepopeofpop

Re: 'Lost Highway will release Momofuku from Elvis Costello'

Post by thepopeofpop »

wardo68 wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:I wonder if My Three Sons is autobigraphical.
I'm hoping it's the theme to the TV show.
I'm hoping that it's both autobiographical AND the theme to the TV show. I imagine that he has written lyrics about his three sons and set them to the famous TV tune in a side-spanning 14 minute musical tour de force so powerful that it will leave even hardened music critics crying for their mothers. The rest of us will just marvel and say "That made 'I Want You' sound like 'Dancing Queen' ".
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
krm

Post by krm »

thepopeofpop wrote:
wardo68 wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:I wonder if My Three Sons is autobigraphical.
I'm hoping it's the theme to the TV show.
I'm hoping that it's both autobiographical AND the theme to the TV show. I imagine that he has written lyrics about his three sons and set them to the famous TV tune in a side-spanning 14 minute musical tour de force so powerful that it will leave even hardened music critics crying for their mothers. The rest of us will just marvel and say "That made 'I Want You' sound like 'Dancing Queen' ".

...and this will of course be the first non-single of the record. Non-single it is called in order to break another world record, by Re-issuing it even before it was issued in the first place.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I was wondering if Momofuku was a joke. Who is Momo and why is Elvis saying...
Maybe he had a bad experience with a steering wheel:

http://www.momo.it/#
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

According to the source below the release in the UK will be called Wagamama and will only be released in c60 cassette tape format with no digital download. The limited edition cassette tape will only be able to be purchased by people who order a Yaki Soba at one of Wagamama's chain noodle restaurants and will be at the special price of £39.99. The cassette will also contain a special bonus track entitled Wag Mama Blues.

http://www.elivisconstello.com/phpBB2/f ... form/ation
signed with love and vicious kisses
migdd

Post by migdd »

so lacklustre wrote:According to the source below the release in the UK will be called Wagamama and will only be released in c60 cassette tape format with no digital download. The limited edition cassette tape will only be able to be purchased by people who order a Yaki Soba at one of Wagamama's chain noodle restaurants and will be at the special price of £39.99. The cassette will also contain a special bonus track entitled Wag Mama Blues.

http://www.elivisconstello.com/phpBB2/f ... form/ation
Finally, the sleeve for the new album!! Is that Elvis or Steve in the lower right corner? I've already set this as my wallpaper and programmed it into my Zune! Great sleeve - looks like an authentic cook book ad! How ingenious of EC!!! :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

so lacklustre wrote:According to the source below the release in the UK will be called Wagamama and will only be released in c60 cassette tape format with no digital download. The limited edition cassette tape will only be able to be purchased by people who order a Yaki Soba at one of Wagamama's chain noodle restaurants and will be at the special price of £39.99. The cassette will also contain a special bonus track entitled Wag Mama Blues.
:lol: It's the next logical step to the CDs you can only buy in Starbucks :lol:

And there will be 10 CDs placed personally by Elvis in random copies of the menus of Wagamamas in London stores containing stripped down versions of the songs.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.amazon.com/Momofuku-Elvis-Co ... 754&sr=8-2

Momofuku
Elvis Costello

Audio CD May 6, 2008
migdd

Post by migdd »

http://www.amazon.com/Momofuku-Elvis-Co ... 180&sr=1-2

Amazon describes the artist on the LP release as "Elvis Costello AND the Imposters".
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

migdd wrote:Amazon describes the artist on the LP release as "Elvis Costello AND the Imposters".
That's encouraging. To me, anyway.
arcadecline

Post by arcadecline »

I don’t like the fact that Momofuku is being released on CD so soon. I thought the idea of a record/digital download only release was innovative and fun. But releasing the CD so soon negates all of that. Maybe if the CD was released a year later or something, but a few weeks later…kinda dumb. I wonder if Lost Highway thought, “Hey, Elvis is touring with the Police and we have a chance to sell CD’s!”
sexysadie7

Post by sexysadie7 »

wardo68 wrote:
migdd wrote:Amazon describes the artist on the LP release as "Elvis Costello AND the Imposters".
That's encouraging. To me, anyway.
me too.
you lack lust...
you're so lacklustre...
is that all the strength
you can muster?
krm

Post by krm »

arcadecline wrote:I don’t like the fact that Momofuku is being released on CD so soon. I thought the idea of a record/digital download only release was innovative and fun. But releasing the CD so soon negates all of that. Maybe if the CD was released a year later or something, but a few weeks later…kinda dumb. I wonder if Lost Highway thought, “Hey, Elvis is touring with the Police and we have a chance to sell CD’s!”

Hmmmmm, remember the old Stiff records saying "We are a record company, not a museum" If you release a LP/record all artists except for one has the intention of selling it to as many people as possible. And in the end make as much $$$$$$$ as possible!!!
Last edited by krm on Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

migdd wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Momofuku-Elvis-Co ... 180&sr=1-2

Amazon describes the artist on the LP release as "Elvis Costello AND the Imposters".
Certainly a lot more likely than "Elvis Costello AND the Attractions"
--Paul--
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

arcadecline wrote:I don’t like the fact that Momofuku is being released on CD so soon. I thought the idea of a record/digital download only release was innovative and fun. But releasing the CD so soon negates all of that. Maybe if the CD was released a year later or something, but a few weeks later…kinda dumb. I wonder if Lost Highway thought, “Hey, Elvis is touring with the Police and we have a chance to sell CD’s!”
Oh, they were going to put it out on CD all along. But sure, I doubt they'd be moving much Costello vinyl at the Police shows. Or downloads for that matter.

What would be kinda dumb would be a whole bunch of Police fans saying:

"Hey that Elvis guy was pretty cool, can we get his latest CD?"

"Why no, it's only available on LP"

"Huh, LP, what's that?"

The twins have gotta eat, you know.
--Paul--
arcadecline

Post by arcadecline »

Don’t get me wrong I can’t wait until the new EC record comes out but the marketing campaign was all for nothing if they are going to release the CD three weeks after the record. And of course he can sell more if he releases a CD, but wasn’t his point that he wanted to do what he wanted and release things the way he wanted? I don’t know, I just think it will look like he/the record label was just trying to use a gimmick to hype up his release. They should wait at least 6 months and just say the first run will be on vinyl only. Whatever the case may be, I can’t wait to hear it.
krm

Post by krm »

arcadecline wrote:Don’t get me wrong I can’t wait until the new EC record comes out but the marketing campaign was all for nothing if they are going to release the CD three weeks after the record. And of course he can sell more if he releases a CD, but wasn’t his point that he wanted to do what he wanted and release things the way he wanted? I don’t know, I just think it will look like he/the record label was just trying to use a gimmick to hype up his release. They should wait at least 6 months and just say the first run will be on vinyl only. Whatever the case may be, I can’t wait to hear it.

CD release 4wks after vinyl - media hype and fans will wait and buy shitloads of CD
CD release 6mnths after vinyl - vinyl rip and tons of "free downloads" and CD will not move (unless being market as Re-release in deLuxe edition w/ additional concert from Police support AND Free previously unreleased pictures of the twins!!!!!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I suspect this will be a hot discussion topic in the coming weeks, so I'm going to make this post a sticky.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
migdd

Post by migdd »

arcadecline wrote:Don’t get me wrong I can’t wait until the new EC record comes out but the marketing campaign was all for nothing if they are going to release the CD three weeks after the record. And of course he can sell more if he releases a CD, but wasn’t his point that he wanted to do what he wanted and release things the way he wanted? I don’t know, I just think it will look like he/the record label was just trying to use a gimmick to hype up his release. They should wait at least 6 months and just say the first run will be on vinyl only. Whatever the case may be, I can’t wait to hear it.
They/He ARE using the vinyl-only gimmick to hype the release and it's working. At this point in his career and in the current state of disarray amongst the record companies, no significant amount of money is going to be spent on promoting a new Elvis Costello record so it's up to EC and his people to find more creative ways to hype the new release. You'll notice that there has been no official word from EC or Lost Highway that Momofuku will be a vinyl-only release. That is purely an assumption the media has made based on the fact that a release date for the CD was not originally announced. You'll notice that most online mentions of the album's release strategy are just cut and pasted from the original announcement from DirectAccess. Whisper a little lie and watch the rumors spread!!

It's sort of funny to watch and read about people getting all hot under the collar about the release strategy for this album. Do people really think the purpose of releasing Momofuku was to put a burr up some record company's ass, somehow stop illegal downloading or, even more ridiculously, to herald the return of vinyl as the favored format for distributing music? CD's are still, for the time being, the most significant format for getting music into the hands of people who want to listen to it. The general public has not, for all the hype, embraced the return of vinyl and there are still a lot of people who don't like the low-fi quality of the MP3 format. To be really successful in releasing new material (which means getting it into the hands of as many people as possible), all formats must be exploited and any number of marketing strategies should be considered. Stiff Records, EC's original label, was all about hype and marketing and they had a lot of fun with it.

Besides, those old enough may remember a time at the dawn of the CD era, when most major records were released on vinyl a week or two prior to the release of the CD in an attempt to retain as many vinyl sales as possible so the release strategy for Momofuku is really not all that big of a deal.
migdd

Post by migdd »

BlueChair wrote:I suspect this will be a hot discussion topic in the coming weeks, so I'm going to make this post a sticky.
Yes indeed! :D
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Does this suggest that T-Bone Burnett produced the record? Or that EC has ANOTHER album in the pipeline? (If T-Bone produced the album, it's even odder that songs like "Life's Companion" and "From Sulfur to Sugar Cane" went unrecorded).

From an interview with T-Bone Burnett:
A full calendar
When we talked about music, Burnett was cheerful and relaxed, even though he must've been somewhat preoccupied by the massive workload awaiting him.
He was a few weeks shy of relocating to Nashville, where he and his old friend Costello planned to complete work on an album in only three days. Burnett chose the right colleague for such an ambitious undertaking: Costello, no stranger to audacious projects, once performed three concerts on the same day in 1979 -- on April Fools' Day, no less.

read the whole article here:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/h ... 8742E7A%7D
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

That has to be a different album, unless the interview was done months ago. Maybe Elvis wasn't joking about the "five albums at once" scheme.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
The Deliveryman

Post by The Deliveryman »

Sounds like either T-Bone produced Momofuku or maybe that new Coward Brothers album alluded to on the official website wasn't a complete joke after all.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I can't really make sense of the timeline in that article: "One recent afternoon... he was a few weeks shy of relocating to Nashville, where he and his old friend Costello planned to complete work on an album in only three days..." Was the recent afternoon more than a few weeks ago?

But if they were determined to make the album in three days, maybe we shouldn't rule out the possibility that they really do plan to start recording it on March 31, as implied on the website!

It could even explain the release schedule, since the initial vinyl-only release would be on a smaller scale.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

And No Coffee Table wrote:I can't really make sense of the timeline in that article: "One recent afternoon... he was a few weeks shy of relocating to Nashville, where he and his old friend Costello planned to complete work on an album in only three days..." Was the recent afternoon more than a few weeks ago?

But if they were determined to make the album in three days, maybe we shouldn't rule out the possibility that they really do plan to start recording it on March 31, as implied on the website!

It could even explain the release schedule, since the initial vinyl-only release would be on a smaller scale.
There is no way they could get the album recorded, mixed, pressed and distributed in three weeks or less.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick