Recently viewed films

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Walked out of A Prairie Home Companion tonight. I don't know why I thought I would like it, when I can't take more than a few minutes of the radio show.

There is something deeply satisfying about walking out of a movie...
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

How can there be? You've wasted your money, your time, and had your hopes dashed. I don't think I've ever done it and never want to.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I walked out of after the first few minutes of "the Wrath of Khan" because I couldnt get over the fact the Klingons had blown up a complete planet. I was extremely extremely stoned though.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Otis Westinghouse

Well that sounds pretty legitimate, I think I would have broken the habit of a lifetime if that had been me. Did you protest loudly as you left?
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Took the fam to see CARS the other night. Reallly enjoyed it. I can't stomach the cable guy's stand-up bits, but with just his voice used in this movie, it was fine.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Name's Mater. Like tuh-mater, only without the tuh.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I enjoyed Cars, but found it wasn't up to the standard of previous Pixar films. Visually, the film was stunning - but I didn't find the humour as clever as usual. Good movie though.

Toothpaste, I hope you stuck around until after the credits - otherwise you will have missed the best part of the film.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

miss buenos aires wrote:Walked out of A Prairie Home Companion tonight. I don't know why I thought I would like it, when I can't take more than a few minutes of the radio show.

There is something deeply satisfying about walking out of a movie...
Otis Westinghouse wrote:How can there be? You've wasted your money, your time, and had your hopes dashed. I don't think I've ever done it and never want to.
But why sit there and suffer through something you don't like? I can relate to the time and energy value affirming act of cutting my losses by walking out. Same reason i refuse to line up in a long queue for some club -- any club -- and I suggest moving on. And why I hardly watch commercial tv in real time anymore, why cop ads... I record if anything seems worthwhile and then fast-forward a lot.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Blue Chair - I agree. I tried to tell my wife the same thing, that I didn't think it was quite as funny as say The Incredibles or Monsters. Just didn't seem to have as much of that wit going on 2 levels - the inside jokes for the moms and dads w/ the kid humor. It had plenty, but just not as much. I didn't stick around past the credits, what happened? was there enough one of those Pixar mini movies? I liked the coin fountain one in the beginning.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This article talks about it, in the section under "Credit in the credits"

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Mov ... index.html

I'd advise anybody who plans on seeing Cars not to read this article until after seeing it :)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

bambooneedle wrote:But why sit there and suffer through something you don't like? I can relate to the time and energy value affirming act of cutting my losses by walking out.
I go to the cinema rarely ebnough to only pick films that seem really good/interesting and almost certainly worth staying till the end of. And a bad film might get better, too.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:And a bad film might get better, too.
I'm all for staying until the end unless you're utterly offended. Even if you're going to hate the film, better to be righteous and hate it in its entirety!

I only walked out of one film, and that was because of the audience as much as the film (plus I was 19 and more prone than I am now, if that is possible, to melodrama). The film was Swept Away (the original) and the audience was more upset by the killing of a bunny than by the rape of the protagonist. That and the whole business of a socio-political allegeory having to of course cast a woman as the oppressor so she could then be victimized and taken down a peg, well, it made my head spin at the time and I couldn't deal with being part of the alleged humanity in the theater and portrayed on screen. Like I said, I was 19! 8)
miss buenos aires

Otis, are you still irked at me about that Fall comment? You were right, he sacked them all and had new ones in!

Perhaps I shouldn't have said "satisfying" so much as "liberating." It's like declaring, "I am not a slave to the bad decision I made an hour ago! I can still change the course of this evening! I may have wasted my money, but I don't have to waste my time!"
Mechanical Grace

Fair enough. Now, why DID you decide to go in the first place? :lol: Your role as arbiter of good taste nearly slipped there!

I must say the ability to sit through utter dreck is boosted when one starts taking kids to the movies. Worst three I've had to suffer through, in order of crapitude:

1. The Magic Roundabout
2. The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3-D
3. Home on the Range
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'd have to put the Garfield picture up there near the top of my list, the cleavage maybe saving it from being worst ever.

I once sat through a double-bill at a drive-in of "Congo" and "Drop Zone". :shock: :shock:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
miss buenos aires

I am living in rural Vermont! My entertainment options are limited! It was that or The Lake House!
Mechanical Grace

miss buenos aires wrote:I am living in rural Vermont!
Who knew! Dude, that's what Netflix is for. But I absolutely understand the urge to get into a theater, especially on a hot summer day.

Sam, that was a truly dire double feature! The drive-in can be so good. I saw Alien at the Wellfleet Drive-In when it first came out. Perfect!
Otis Westinghouse

That Pokemon movie was wince-inducing. Actually, it was just sleep-inducing. It was so cheap though! Just bad TV shown at the cinema.

MBA: irked, moi? No, I accept your youth and irreverence before a walking cultural landmark.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I've been becoming more ruthless about my entertainment choices of late. That's why I can't listen to pretentious Radiohead. I like a lot of stuff that's got soul. I stopped watching Jesus' Son after enduring 20 minutes of unbearably bad acting, really amateurish cinematography... it just had nothing holding it together. Same with Jarhead.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Did you write a carefully worded letter to Thom Yorke explaining your decision?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

To whom...? :lol:
Mechanical Grace

And they say Americans' attention spans are bad...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Yeah well they tend to generalize, and be generalized about, don't they? :roll:
Otis Westinghouse

Radiohead has lots of soul. Modern soul music.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Thank You For Smoking - excellent!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"