Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

The only non-Elvis cd I've purchases recently is -

"BASHER: The Best of Nick Lowe", it was only $5.99.

I still can't say I'm a fan of Nick Lowe's music, I'll have to get his Jesus cd first.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

WHAR: Ask Mood about Nick Lowe's Jesus - I think she might be able to offer a comment or two. . . . . or fourteen!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

if he looks back a ways in this very thread, even....
Like me, the "g" is silent.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

i-Magnetic Fields

If you like the Magnetic Fields, you'll like this one. It's surprisingly coherent for an album whose songs all start with "I" and play in alphabetical order. And is there a better song title than "I Thought You Were My Boyfriend"?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

As if I needed more new stuff, I picked up George Harrison: The Dark Horse Years 1976-1992. What a wonderful box set.

It contains remasters of Thirty Three & 1/3, George Harrison, Somewhere In England, Gone Troppo, Cloud Nine, and Live in Japan as well as a 80 minute DVD including live footage and some of the great music videos George made in the 70's and 80's.

I've wanted this for a while. Certainly, it's something only a hardcore Harrison fan would want, but I think I fall under that category :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

You folks convinced that I needed a Nick Drake album so I got one, Way To Blue An Introduction To.. . Damn good so far.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Best choice for a newbie SLL. Excellent. God I love Nick Drake. He makes me feel nostalgic for sunny days in an age when i was only a baby...quite strange.
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Today I picked up

"Out Of Our Idiot"
"King Of America"
"Punch The Clock(2CD)"
- some guy named Elvis Costello
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

William Bell - Soul of a Bell
Charles Mingus - Let My Children Hear Music
Action - Rolled Gold
Television - Marquee Moon
Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose
Taj Mahal - Natch'l Blues
Miles Davis - Complete Jack Johnson Sessions
North Mississippi All-Stars - Polaris
Rod Picott - Stray Dogs (local rootsy artist who sent me a press kit...he'll be on my radio show fairly early on, depending on his tour sked)
Here comes the mirror man
Says he's a people fan
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Steve Forbert - The American In Me and Young, Guitar Days.

There was a great article on Forbert in the new No Depression and it inspired me to go out and buy more of his stuff. The American In Me is a very thoughtful piece of Americana pop that reminds me of Hiatt during his "Recovery Trilogy" phase. Young, Guitar Days is one of those odds & sods collections that holds up wonderfully as a cohesive album.

Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Like Bad News.

I had long been skeptical of MM and thought of them as some kind of unbearably ironic emo band or something. I am glad to be wrong on this one. Lush, spacey pop music that also makes a few detours into this great, dissonant rock terrain that's sort of like Tom Waits or a really heavy Sparklehorse.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

spooky girlfriend wrote:WHAR: Ask Mood about Nick Lowe's Jesus - I think she might be able to offer a comment or two. . . . . or fourteen!
She can offer more than 14, eh Moody? :wink:

Joni Mitchell - Hejira (what's that thing on the road at the bottom of the cover?)
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks
Iggy Pop - Party
Beth Orton - Daybreaker
The Waifs - Up All Night
The Whitlams - Eternal Nightcap
Billie Holiday - Love Songs
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

fourteen to the power of forty. if anyone wants to know. feel free to ask!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Mood, tell me about the nick lowe cd. Is it worth buying?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

*thinking very hard* vengeful or kind? vengeful or kind?

kill them with kindness.

get it, WHAR. it's indispensable! it's cool! it says 'jesus' on the cover! it's pure pop for now people like myself! it's a jukebox full of wonders!
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I second Mood Swung's emotion.....I really have gotten into Nick Lowe over the past year or so.
Here comes the mirror man
Says he's a people fan
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Since there's no LP thread, I guess I'll put this here.

I was surprised to find the Attractions LP 'Mad About The Wrong Boy' for $5 at the used record shop, so I snagged it.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

"Straight Jacket" left a spot in my mind, but otherwise I don't recall much of that album.

Is Steve Nieve doing the vocals?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

wehitandrun wrote:"Straight Jacket" left a spot in my mind, but otherwise I don't recall much of that album.

Is Steve Nieve doing the vocals?
They all take turns singing
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Steve Forbert - What Kinda Guy? and Any Old Time.

My Forbert kick continues to build momentum. What Kinda Guy? collects the best of his first four albums and would make a great introduction for those of you curious about his music.

Any Old Time is Forbert's wonderful tribute to the great Jimmie Rodgers. Like Rodgers, Steve Forbert was born in Meridian, Mississippi and the shadow of the singing brakeman looms large as an artistic inspiration. I like how Forbert eschews some of Rodgers' best known songs in favor of lesser known but equally inspired material. He also re-arranges the songs to fit his own folk-rock sound which helps showcase how they can work in almost any format. A warm, open and deeply felt salute.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Aforementioned stocking up of reissues of MAIT and TYM now complete (sodding Play.com failed to deliver at first, told me I had to give a new address, even though it was clearly their failure to despatch), so only ATUB and Spike to go before the next three arrive! Also Tom Waits Bone Machine and Frank's Wild Years with them too. Very exciting. New shopping:

Kinks - Ultimate Collection (thanks to POP for suggesting HMV, where this excellent double CD compilation is only eight quid).

Small Faces - Ultimate Collection (again looks like a good selection, and for me they sit alongside the Kinks as a band that had a huge influence on heroes of mine like The Jam and who I have never heard enough of)

Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free (sometimes it's fun to get the flavour of the month without being sure you'll really like it)

Ron Sexsmith - Retriever (I was appalled by the fact that Fopp and Borders didn't even have this in stock and HMV for a laughable £15, it hasn't been reviewed in the newspapers at all, so it really seems like the huge talent of Ron is being totally unpromoted over here, whereas Cobblestone Runway seemed to be much more visible in terms of ads, airplay, reviews, shop stock).

These last three yet to arrive courtesy of Amazon. Can't wait.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

the white stripes-elephant------finally got it......good stuff!
caetano veloso-a foreing sound-----totally worth your money! if you see this one, snap it up! great songs, awesome vocal performances by this brazilian singer......songs ranging from such american classics as love for sale, the man i love and body & soul to bizarre interpretations of not so old stuff like nirvana´s come as you are and paul anka´s diana......brilliant!
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I think I have to get "Jesus Of Cool" - Nick Lowe. Listening to "Basher: The Best Of Nick Lowe", the best of the songs are taken from that album.

I love "Breaking Glass" and "Little Hitler".
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Elvis' Dad

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Ross MacManus - Elvis' Dad Sings Elvis

Recorded 'before his son adopted Elvis as a stage name' it's a good humoured patiche, covering classics such as Hound Dog, Love Me Tender etc.

Well worth the 1GBP I paid!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Ron Sexsmith - Retriever

Sometimes it's nice living in his country of origin. Contrary to Otis's being ripped off, I was able to pick it up for $10 CDN, which is about 4 pounds.

Excellent album. I wasn't too fond of Cobblestone Runway.. a bit too Coldplayesque. This is still quite poppy, but in a more interesting way IMHO.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I love Cob Run, and don't agree with the Coldplay accusation, just cos Chris Martin guests on it. But Retriever is very special. Some absolute classics on it, and, like Cob Run, nothing weak (some don't go for Dragonfly on Main St, but I think it's fun). Wishing Well, Dandelion Wine, Hard Bargain, these are all songs that get inside your head forever. How will Ron earn a crust off of $10CDN. Fair dues to you. I think Ron has an incredibly hight quality threshold, and though his charms are understated, that subtlety is a mark of his sheer class. Why is it called Retriever?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more