Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Look - I'm not a fan - but I watched the game yesterday and I've got to agree with Otis - what an idiot that Arsenal goalie is - jesusfuckingchrist - and I've got a tough time with draws (ties) - as the famous hockey saying goes - a tie is like kissing your sister.

Anyway - congratulations Arsenal fans - go get yourself another netminder and you won't be as tough to root for.

(shaking my head) - it just don't seem right winning a championship with a draw.....I'm sure I don't understand....but isn't it sort of anticlimatic?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Did you know that Jens Lehmann held the ALL TIME RECORD for red-cards at Borussia Dortmund...no player in their history has got sent off more than him! :o
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

By the way, it was nice to see Sol Campbell refusing to celebrate at WHL. He went up a lot in my estimation for that. Mind you, for me there was nowhere for him to go but up.... :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

so lacklustre wrote:By the way Arsenal have now won as many titles at White HL as Tottenham.
Whilst we are quoting statistics.

Spurs have only entered the European Cup once (when you had to be Champions to get into it). We reached the Semi-Final. How many cracks at the 'occasional champions league' will it take Arsenal to reach that stage? :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

My, what a good memory you have :lol: .
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Sepp Blatte is with BWAP, apparently. He's anti-draw. Absurd, football is a low scoring game, draws are part of it, you have extra-time/penalties when you need a winner, but a draw is often a significant result in a league. You'll get used to it, BWAP! Do you have a team yet? If not, it's about time? And as you're in the south of England, I can heartily recommend Manchester's finest, as opposed to Manchester's shitest. Kahn and Lehmann have some huge row going on, with Kahn leading as life of supermodels and debauchery. I normally refuse to participate in the knee-jerk anti-German thing, but in this case, I think it's fully justified. Get ready to vomit during the Euro.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Boy With A Problem

I didn't intend it to happen, but I sort of got drawn in by Chelsea.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Just like the Red Sox, they'll go years and years without winning anything :D .
Mind you this could be the year the red sox do it, they've started well and have been giving the yankees a tonking.
Otis Westinghouse

They were my team of choice, too, but when my brother told me I had to support MU cos my mum had already got me the bag for Christmas, I became a diehard. And she did point out the error of my ways in that my granny was a Manc, so there.

Don't apologise, it could have been Arsenal.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

so lacklustre wrote: Mind you this could be the year the red sox do it, they've started well and have been giving the yankees a tonking.
Damn straight!!!!

Otis, THAT is a great story.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Oh...was hoping BWAP might have found the Old Gold of the mighty Wolves too hard to resist....then I woke up and realised that they're getting relegated. Oh self pity. :(
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

John

Post by John »

Redshoes said to me this morning
Poor John, don't be sad
I wasn't then - I am now :cry:
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Still haven't been to a Euro champs semi though :D :wink:
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

I was almost jealous of you this afternoon, SLL. Bastards, nicking our rightful silverware. That is a stunning achievement. More than 100 years! Incredible. I was screaming with excitement when Henry got his penalty, and largely unmoved as MU demolished AV (I was actually watching Arse on Prem Plus much more than MU on Sky 1). Why? Well, it got very close in the FF and I had TH as captain, but my beloved Slaughter City came top. £40 mine all mine, and immense honour and kudos.

Next up the game-by-game predictions tournament for the Euro. I won it in 2002 in the workplace (making a habit of it, you see), so let's see if I can get a hat-trick.

Actually, I'm sad Arse got knocked out by Chels. Chels abused the privilege by an idiotic performance in Monaco, for which Ranieri deserves the sacking he will no doubt get. Fool, after his heroic deeds at Highbury. I'd like to see Arse in the final, they could have beaten sodding Porto.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Actually, I'm sad Arse got knocked out by Chels. Chels abused the privilege by an idiotic performance in Monaco, for which Ranieri deserves the sacking he will no doubt get. Fool, after his heroic deeds at Highbury. I'd like to see Arse in the final, they could have beaten sodding Porto.
You're just angry you finished third! :wink:

Seriously, Ranieri probably does deserve the boot for that performaance in Monaco, but I'm not sure that any of the names being mentioned as his replacement would be a huge improvement. A disappointing season in the end. Abramovich needs to realize that stability is important and stop undermining the manager and the players.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

I'd rather finish third with the FA Cup than second without the silverware. Isn't that a higher hand in the game of football poker? Chelsea seemed odd this season. Too many brilliant players to do anything other than well, but also too many duff performances to be second. I'm influenced, perhaps, by a friend who is a Stamford Bridge regular who was very negative about the poor quality of many home perofmances (he also made the mistake of going to the home defeat against Fenerbahce!). then again, Utd just blew it so many times, Chelsea absolutely deserve it over us. I'm too disllusioned to be angry. I might be less so at 5pm on Saturday...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

You're right that there were very few really great performances this season. I can't think of a single home match that really stands out in quality. Both of the season's most satisfying moments (Lazio and Arsenal) were away from The Bridge. I think we lacked creativity when Duff was not playing. Still, the best ever PL finish for Chelsea, and it could have been so much worse if Abramovich had not stepped in (think Leeds).

Expectations were so high that the season certainly feels like a letdown. It'll be interesting to see what the team looks like when I see them play in Philadelphia this summer. I'll also be going to see United at Giants Stadium against AC Milan. Should be fun.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I'd rather finish third with the FA Cup than second without the silverware.
Very presumptious! What about third with an FA Cup runners up medal?
Otis Westinghouse

Pass the carving knife.
Otis Westinghouse

... request not retracted, knife required to sever Wise's testicles. I've always hated that scumbag, but today he took the biscuit. Winter was being absurdly lenient on him with two bookable offences in the first half, especially the 'hand on face' on Ronaldo followed by the cowardly pretence that he was trying to help him to his feet, so he shoul have been sent off when he savaged Giggs. He's just an animal, the kind of person you'd expect to see doing unspeakable things on a secret video recording in a military jail in Iraq.

Wise aside, nice one Utd. It took a while, but I was glad that young Ronaldo opened the scoring. Hardly a difficult victory, but a massive satisfaction to see it accomplished.

Bring on the Charity Shield, we'll be ready for you next season. Alan Smith isn't that far above Wise on the evolutionary scale, not sure we need that at Old Trafford, but I guess he'd be a handy asset (as long as he's mostly on the subs' bench in favour of RVN and Saha).

Bring on Portugal first, though, can't bleeding wait. Prediction betting ahoy.
Boy With A Problem

I couldn't agree more with your assesment of Wise. I came into the afternoon hoping for a major upset....and I was really getting into the whole "Nobody Likes Us And We Don't Care" deal ....until I found out why nobody likes 'em. What a git. What a wanker. What a tosser. (have I misused any of these words?) - Ronaldo should have kept his shirt on for that first goal...disrobe after the game isover.

Imagine Manny Ramirez ripping his shirt off after a homerun in the bottom of the first in a World Series game (okay, you have to first imagine the Red Sox getting to the World Series).
Otis Westinghouse

Unless I'm mistaken, shirt removal will be bookable next season, so this was Cristiano's last opportunity to show us his lithe and shapely torso.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, shirt removal will be bookable next season, so this was Cristiano's last opportunity to show us his lithe and shapely torso.
He's massively talented, but I can stand the sight of him. Everytime he does that faggy stepover I want to put my fist through the TV. I could do without seeing his "lithe torso". :roll:
Otis Westinghouse

Nice gold boots, too. he needs to mature somewhat, unlike Reyes, who seems like the finished article, but he has strong potential. my son worshp him, unsurprisingly.

I can stand him too. :wink: