WXRP "Secret" Concert in NYC?

Pretty self-explanatory
Ypsilanti

Re: WXRP "Secret" Concert in NYC?

Post by Ypsilanti »

Actually, this looks like it was pretty great...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJJkVTbT4Cg
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Is "Five Little Words" completely new, or is that a different title for something we already know about?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/elv ... 0027.story

Elvis Costello Celebrates 'Sugarcane' With Intimate Show

June 03, 2009 05:02 PM ET
David J. Prince, N.Y

Elvis Costello celebrated the release of his "Sacred, Profane & Sugarcane" album with an intimate solo acoustic show yesterday (June 2) in Manhattan's financial district.

Costello performed a nearly hour-long set for a small group of fans and radio station contest winners at Jim Brady's, a wood-paneled Irish pub near Wall Street. He focused almost entirely on songs from his freshly-released album, a collection of Americana-style folk songs that was produced by T. Bone Burnett. Accompanied only by his own acoustic guitar, Costello ran through more than half of the new record's songs, including the melancholy "She Handed Me A Mirror," "Complicated Shadows," the location-appropriate "Down Among the Wines and Spirits," and the tongue-in-cheek sing-a-long "Sulpher to Sugarcane."

Costello also performed two new, as-yet-unreleased songs - "Condemned Man" and the uptempo show-closer that's tentatively titled "Five Small Words."

Costello was introduced by the fresh-from-rehab Matt Pinfield, former host of MTV's "120 Minutes" and current morning drive DJ on New York radio station WRXP. Pinfield also conducted a wide-ranging live interview with Costello, who talked about such divergent topics as the album's musicians, collaborating with Loretta Lynn and Johnny Cash, working with the Royal Danish Opera, the life of Hans Christian Anderson and his interview style on his own "Spectacle" television show.

Costello played solo for this show, but next week kicks a brief tour with the Sugarcanes, a band featuring many of the musicians who played on the new album. Costello is playing solo acoustic at the Bonnaroo festival, does several Japanese gigs with his regular band the Imposters, and then picks back up with the Sugarcanes for more dates at the end of the summer.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
alexv

Post by alexv »

No apologies necessary, BA. Like you, I'm a longtime fan (first concert in 81 (I think, it's all a blur), and my love for all things EC has lasted, somewhat abated, into ripe middle age.

That bar show was notable only for the novelty of having EC play a bar. "Hey, look at EC, he's right over there strumming his guitar and we can listen and watch ESPN at the same time!! Cool". The interviews were pure show biz. The whole thing was contrived. My bored summary reflected my mood, and my take on all things EC these days. It also was impacted by the gnawing feeling I had throughout the proceedings, that this, for someone like me who's seen EC so many times, was a complete waste of time.

I'm far from nostalgic for the old EC (although I stand by the purely personal and of course debatable conviction that the old EC, the one up through and including BAC, is the EC that truly counts, the one that made the music that makes him great), and a lot of the music he's made over the last decade or so is gorgeous. But current day EC is a little too showbiz for my taste. In another thread, comments made by Nick Lowe were posted, that pretty much summarize my own views. There's too much careerism and show biz infatuations to suit my tastes. EC and David Furnish interviewed at the Juno awards; EC on 30 Rock dueting with an American Idol contestant; Ec interviews Bill; the list goes on and on. He's the cute and cuddly 50ish former angry young man armed with arched eyebrows and funny hats here to to enlighten and delight!! And he still makes music too, although not angry music. He's mellow, but encyclopedic!!

I'm hoping that when i get the new record, a fresh new batch of EC songs will, as it always do, put the music back at the forefront, and the annoying personality issues will fade from view. There's always been at least one that does the trick.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Oh, an Irish Pub in NYC... This might sound weird, but I wonder what the place smelled like... maybe like cigarettes, sweat and tears of those crooked Wall St. folk, and fried bar food... nasty and grimey. Or, is it a clean bar, with fancy bass fixtures ... Whatever, I guess I could have held my nose through this set. I am sure of it! With two new tunes to boot - sweet.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Great version of Changing Partners: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iahM_DLFYfY
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

More photos here -

http://www.1019rxp.com/music/ElvisCostelloRecap.aspx

Down Among the Wine & Spirits….

101.9 RXP Secret Show

At Jim Brady’s Pub in the heart of the Financial District, some amped admirers of all things Elvis Costello and a few RXP staff members were treated to an acoustic performance of his latest studio release, Secret, Profane and Sugarcane. The home of "New York’s Rock Experience" promoted the concert with free tickets give-aways for the exclusive event. Debby, from Tenafly, was excited to hear the new album for the first time, along with Tammy & Scott, from Babylon. All three have been avid Costello fans for more than two decades.

The crooner weaved his way through the 8 song set, highlighting the story behind particular songs like "She Was No Good", "The Crooked Line", and "She Handed Me A Mirror". The set was followed by a brief Q&A session hosted by Matt Pinfield & Leslie Fram. Costello followed with a two song encore featuring the ballad "Changing Partners".

The luckiest listeners of all were Dennis & Maria, from Stony Point, and Denise & Tom, from Dumont. They were treated to a double dose of Elvis. Arriving early, the four managed to catch Costello during an impromptu 40 minute warm up (sometimes it pays to be first in line). Kudo’s to Dennis for his persistence – it took him 242 calls and five days to win tickets to the show.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Travis

Post by Travis »

Geez you guys are fast! I found this message board to post to ask what the name of that song was/is. However, I see it's already posted...Thanks! :)

What's the story behind this song? I wouldn't consider myself an Elvis fan by any stretch (although I felt honored to be there and really enjoyed it) and couldn't find information on this song anywhere.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Travis wrote:What's the story behind this song? I wouldn't consider myself an Elvis fan by any stretch (although I felt honored to be there and really enjoyed it) and couldn't find information on this song anywhere.
Because it's completely new, I think. Welcome.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Condemned Man sounds great, just like when he, with the Brodsky's standing back, debuted it in Bristol in April.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Sounds great to me too

in fact the new songs : Condemmed Man, Doc Watson , One Bell Ringing, You Hung the Moon - probably missed a few : all suit these ears.

Wonder how many will see the light of day via an official release ?

I think it's great that he's already sharing these songs.

He must know that they'll (praise be !) whizz round t'internet within seconds of each performance ending.

Also impressed that his official site put up the whole of Secret /Profane/Sugarcane a few days before it was in the shops.

Suppose all of the above must be contributing to the record(?)'s success in the US charts.

just wish he'd bring this crew to the UK

Colin Top Balcony
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.