The Juliet Letters

Pretty self-explanatory
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I wonder why Bowie reissued his albums with bonus tracks at first and then reissued them again only a few years after with no bonus tracks.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I wonder why Bowie reissued his albums with bonus tracks at first and then reissued them again only a few years after with no bonus tracks.
Because , in most cases, the bonus tracks were poor compared with the contents of the albums proper. Most of his classic albums were so well put together that the extras , to paraphrase Dave Brubeck's objections to extras on his re-issues,were like putting a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

Without check it up , I think there were also factors like Dame David re-licensing his catalogue and wanting to avail of improvements in technical ability to re-master the recordings.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

In any case... Bowie put out his albums on CD when CDs first came out, then again in 1990 on Rykodisc with bonus tracks, then again on 1999 on remastered CD from EMI with no bonus tracks, and in some cases like with Ziggy Stardust/Diamond Dogs/Aladdin Sane, yet again in 2003-2005 with bonus discs.

I bought Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane in 1999 thinking that the new remasters were the CDs that would be on the market for a while. Little did I know that a few years later more definitive editions of these albums would hit the market.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I held back until the ones with bonus CDs started appearing, contenting myself with dusting down the old vinyl, but where have they gone. They seemed to be following a somewhat slow but rather pleasing '30th anniv' pattern, and Young Americans was announced for last year, but then never materialised. Station To Station should be out this year! Damn them!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more