Rank the rankers' EC favourites!

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I agree about the warm glow. Music is part of the fabric of life, and staying close to things that wrote themselves into your DNA 20 years back is a great feeling. For me it's to do with a sense of cultural identity and personal history, and if my feelings for Lloyd Cole are intensified by the fact that I was obsessed by him 20 years ago in Madrid, so much the better. I love the fact that this board, more than anything else, has got me more music-obsessed than I've been since that time, or even earlier than it, since I was at school, and has led me to redicsover loads of things from my past, as well as loads of new things by people I loved then but had not heard in the intervening time, as well as new music, as well as music from the past I hadn't heard. I also love being blown away at 41 by how much good music was around when I was in my late teens, and especially by how fantastic my taste was then!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: I also love being blown away at 41 by how much good music was around when I was in my late teens, and especially by how fantastic my taste was then!
Yes, but those are two separate things! For my part, I of course love lots of music from my youth, but my taste was pretty spotty, and the only old stuff that gives me a warm glow now is the music that was actually good (and a lot of what I listened to really wasn't!!). Well, except for a few things that have pure cheese value, but hey, even good cheese is good in some way...
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Well, if you were/are referring to my comments, Mug, as scientist wannabe:, too late. I am a scientist, and perform scientif studies, and I write scientific papers. So that makes me a "scientist Iyamabee".

As regards the "blather" comment, some things never change. I'm certain that Hillary will love your support in 08.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Mechanical Grace

Mr. Average wrote: I am a scientist, and perform scientif studies, and I write scientific papers.
Egads, I pity your editors, and I don't mean the ones who watch for spelling and punctuation. And frankly if your ham-brained logic-- e.g., you know by my use of the word 'blather' who will run for President and who I will vote for in two years-- extends to your science, may God or nature protect us!

Well, my memory is highly fallible, as has been shown many times before, but last time I was paying attention I thought you were a medical equipment salesman and patronizing manager. Well In any case I stand by the 'blather' part.
Mechanical Grace

Oh, I forgot this part! (Perhaps I originally read the thread title as 'rancor's favorites'?)

1. New Lace Sleeves
2. Shipbuilding
3. Man Out Of Time
4. Couldn’t Call It Unexpected no. 4
5. Oliver’s Army
6. I’m Your Toy
7. Lipstick Vogue
8. Brilliant Mistake
9. The Birds Will Still Be Singing
10. Watching The Detectives
11. Riot Act
12. Worthless Thing
13. When I Was Cruel no. 2
14. In The Darkest Place
15. Sulky Girl
16. Bedlam
17. The Other End Of The Telescope
18. I Hope You’re Happy Now
19. Fallen
20. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
21. Remove This Doubt

Very hard to do this, as I SO disagree with the rankings from the individual albums-- my top 21 songs overall would be give a very different chronological picture. But when we did the grand listing of posters' top 15s (was that thread lost in the crash, btw??) I did have New Lace Sleeves as number one, so there's some justice!