Baseball's back

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Barry Bonds and Steroids. Check out his rookie card compared to how he looks today. I'd say the evidence is conclusive that he was using something.

Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

now you touched that up. that's otis nixon's rookie card.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Speaking of baseball, I don't want to call people out, but mug and legman - please let me know if there is anything I can do as commish to make your participation in the league easier. I'm sure oily would be happy to help, provide pointers, etc. as well. I can take over management of your teams to level the playing field if it comes to that, but I'd rather not.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Boy With A Problem wrote:Barry Bonds and Steroids. Check out his rookie card compared to how he looks today. I'd say the evidence is conclusive that he was using something.

Steroids, or Twinkies by the case, maybe.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Boy With A Problem

oily slick

Post by oily slick »

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Boy With A Problem

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Boy With A Problem wrote:Hillenbrand is a whining ungrateful punk - spewing venom at the Red Sox after they unloaded him early last season. Don't feel sorry for him; the guy's from Scottsdale and got to spend a season playing for his home town team.
What a pleasure that must have been, watching hacks like Mike Koplove and Brian Bruney blow save after save. I don't know about the comments Hillenbrand made about Boston - didn't follow it that closely - but it always struck me as strange and a little disturbing that ex-Red Sox tend to be instantly reviled the moment they leave town.
Not to be an "I told you so" - but this guy really is bad news - what's your take up there Blue? I guess they released him outright today -

Hillenbrand criticizes Blue Jays By ROB GILLIES, Associated Press Writer
Wed Jul 19, 10:03 PM ET

TORONTO - Shea Hillenbrand refused to sit in the dugout with his Toronto Blue Jays teammates Wednesday night after he was chastised during a team meeting.

Hours before, Hillenbrand criticized the organization and said he expects to be traded. He was upset because he wasn't in the starting lineup again and nobody in Toronto's front office congratulated him on adopting a baby girl last weekend.

The Blue Jays held a meeting before Wednesday night's game against Texas. Hillenbrand, reached by The Toronto Star during the game, said manager John Gibbons admonished him in front of the team.

"Gibby called a team meeting and then he stood up and reamed me out in front of my teammates," Hillenbrand told the newspaper. "I'm very disappointed about what he did and I find it very unprofessional."

Hillenbrand was not in the dugout during the game.

"I love my teammates here, but I'm waiting to be traded," the designated hitter said during a profanity-filled tirade before the game. "I should have been traded two months ago."

Hillenbrand left the team last Friday to be with his family for the adoption and didn't return until Tuesday.

"They are making me feel like I did something wrong," Hillenbrand said.

He added that he should have just stayed home, and the team should trade him if it's not going to play him.

"They wonder why they are not winning," Hillenbrand said. "It's the atmosphere."

"Not one person from the front office has even come up to congratulate me," he said. "It's all the little people like you guys. But nobody from higher up. That's a disgrace."

Hillenbrand flew to California last weekend and stayed there to fill out the necessary paperwork. He said he was "very surprised" he wasn't in the starting lineup for the second consecutive day Wednesday.

"He hasn't played in four days and we like the lineup we have in there," Gibbons said before Hillenbrand's outburst.

Hillenbrand pleaded to stay with the Blue Jays in late May when reports surfaced about a possible trade to the Los Angeles Angels for second baseman Adam Kennedy.

Hillenbrand entered Wednesday's game hitting .301 with 12 home runs and 38 RBIs. The six-year veteran was traded to the Blue Jays by Arizona before last season.

There has been increased pressure on Toronto to win this year after general manager J.P. Ricciardi spent millions to acquire A.J. Burnett, B.J. Ryan, Glaus, Bengie Molina and Lyle Overbay in the offseason.

Ricciardi chastised the Blue Jays just before the All-Star break, saying his 3-4-5 hitters were killing the club. Center fielder Vernon Wells objected to the comments when asked about them at the All-Star game.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It's certainly a strange situation. I haven't really seen anything quite like it as a Blue Jays fan through the years. Hillenbrand has his moments as a DH, but I don't suspect he will be missed around here.

What's funny is he was on my Fantasy Baseball team as well. I've gone ahead and dropped him for obvious reasons. I don't suspect many teams will be rushing to pick him up.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

He does sound like a twunt BWAP. You do have to admit, however, that nobdoy demonizes former players who skip town quite like Sox fans.
Boy With A Problem

Who Shot Sam? wrote:He does sound like a twunt BWAP. You do have to admit, however, that nobdoy demonizes former players who skip town quite like Sox fans.
It's pretty bad - Clemens, Boggs, Pedro, Nomar, Damon....and Drew Bledsoe as well - some cases more deserved than others - some would say Boston fans are more "passionate" - others might use the word rabid and it has gotten worse over the last 10 years.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My fantasy team may be plumbing the murky depths of Brilliant Mistake, but my Dodgers are on an incredible roll right now - winners of 16 or their last 17 games, rookies contributing and a starting pitching staff that looks better now that Maddux has come over from the Cubs.

The playoffs are looking like a probability and we can even start thinking about home field advantage in the playoffs if this continues. There are still a lot of games left to be played, but I'm liking what I'm seeing (even if the late night West Coast games are turning me into a bit of a zombie in the morning).
wes

Post by wes »

I can't tell you how weird it is here to be in mid-August and still actually care about Tigers games.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'm really happy to see the Tigers playing well again, Wes. They've fallen off a bit recently, but are still a certainty for the playoffs.
wes

Post by wes »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I'm really happy to see the Tigers playing well again, Wes. They've fallen off a bit recently, but are still a certainty for the playoffs.
I'm just glad they ended the skid and took one game in Boston which in recent history is quite the accomplishment.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yanks sweep five game series against the Red Sox in Boston. Yikes! My old man on suicide watch.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

No shit. ANd then we got clobbered a few times on the other coast. But after a mere 6 game losing streak, we finally won one. :roll: :x

Boy is this ever not my week for sports! :?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

My cousin, who was naive enough to think the Blue Jays would make the AL wild card this season and bet me three beers on it, has ceded.

We had a pretty good season compared to the past decade, but not nearly good enough.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

So there I was late last night trying to stay up for the Dodgers-Padres game in LA, even though I have a client meeting this morning.

With the Dodgers having wasted a number of opportunities to take the lead and their bullpen handing the Pads a 9-5 lead, I switched off the TV in the top of the 9th. What happens? They hit four straight homers (!) in the bottom of the 9th and Nomar wins it in the 10th on a walk-off 2-run shot. Maybe I need to start getting to bed a little earlier.

Meanwhile, I'm throwing in the towel on my fantasy team. Rock bottom and staying there. :(

PS, here's a great NY Times article about the game. I'm getting choked up just thinking about it. They'd better be re-broadcasting this one on ESPN Classic - soon...

Dodgers 11, Padres 10
'The Most Wonderful Game I Have Ever Seen'
By LEE JENKINS

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 18 – The first one slipped over the center-field wall. The second one almost struck the right-field roof. The third one settled into the left-field stands.

The fourth one flew straight into history.

For the Los Angeles Dodgers, those four home runs will be framed forever in franchise lore, right alongside Jackie Robinson, Kirk Gibson and Fernando-mania.

Facing a four-run deficit in the ninth inning Monday night, with first place in the National League West on the line, the Dodgers staged an only-in-Hollywood power play. They became the fourth team in major league history to hit four consecutive home runs, tying the score and turning Dodger Stadium into the most unlikely launching pad.

And yet, that was only the beginning. Trailing again by one run in the 10th inning, Nomar Garciaparra hit the Dodgers’ seventh home run of the night, a two-run game-winner that landed in the left-field bleachers at 2:05 a.m. Eastern. The Dodgers not only beat the San Diego Padres, 11-10, they leapfrogged them in the National League West standings.

If the Dodgers go on to win the division, and the Padres do not, they can trace their respective rise and fall to the bottom of the ninth inning Monday night, which will be captured for posterity on classic sports highlight shows.

With the comfort of a four-run lead, San Diego Manager Bruce Bochy called on middle reliever Jon Adkins to start the ninth instead of his renowned closer, Trevor Hoffman. The first batter Adkins faced, Jeff Kent, hit a home run. The next batter he faced, J.D. Drew, hit a home run on the first pitch.

Fans who had left in the top of the ninth inning came sprinting back to their seats. Hoffman started warming up for the second time. Bochy was taking no more chances.

Hoffman has 475 saves in his career, three short of the major league record, and this would surely be No. 476. The Dodgers rank second-to-last in the N.L. in home runs. Dodger Stadium is known as a pitcher's park. The bottom of the order was due up. Surely, the Dodgers had spent all their power reserves.

But Hoffman’s first pitch, to Russell Martin, was bashed for another home run. The lead was down to one. Not since 2004 had a team hit three home runs in a row.

As Marlon Anderson walked to home plate for the Dodgers, he reminded himself to relax, take some time, let the game slow down and come to him.

Then he ignored all his own advice. Anderson swung at another first pitch and hit another high drive, deep into the right-field bleachers. Four batters, four home runs. Three pitches, three home runs. None of them were even cheap. They were all blasted.

Charging around the bases, Anderson raised his arms above his head, as if the game were over. When he reached the bench, the Dodgers formed a joyous mosh pit around him, jumping and dancing in their dugout.

“That was absolutely the most wonderful game I have ever seen in my life,â€
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Via the miracle that is YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSNV2cQanlU

:D :D :D

With good old Vin doing the commentary!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Wow!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yeah, one for the annals. As a Dodgers fan, it's right up there with Gibson's home run against the A's in the WS and Steve Finley's HR on the last day two years ago to knock the Giants out of the playoffs.

Incredible, considering all there was at stake, the fact that it was in the 9th inning, Hoffman being so dominant, the Dodgers last in the league in homers, Dodger Stadium being a pitcher's park, etc.

The Martin homer is repeated on the YouTube video for some reason.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

boy that is fun.
Boy With A Problem

Good stuff Sam - gotta love Vin.....and Nomah -

My favorite home run in Dodgers history - the radio call -

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhib ... _sound.mp3
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Boy With A Problem wrote:My favorite home run in Dodgers history - the radio call -

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhib ... _sound.mp3
Arrgghhhh!!! :x :x

Great call though. My sister probably has it saved on her PC. How in the world she turned out to be a Gnats fan I will never understand! I used to buy her frozen malts at Chavez Ravine!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Ha! Furcal just homered in the first at bat tonight against the Pirates. We can't stop hitting 'em out!