Back to where we left off (conversation killers...)

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I think I'll post here once an hour, just until this thread beats "Wake up, you footy fans!"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

So MBA,

I wonder if Tom Waits cd sales will go up this week.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

Gosh, Blue, I don't know.

A friend of mine was on Jeopardy! last night, by the way. He's won two days running, so everyone should watch it tonight and cheer him on. His name is Bobby.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Cool.

Jeopardy! is fun.

Isn't it weird how Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy! are on back to back?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

A friend of mine once said, "It's like graduating college and then going to kindergarten."
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

which one is which?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Come on, mood swung...

On one show they are asking intellectuals questions about all sorts of things.

On the other, they are asking people to solve the puzzle.... "TH_T'S _LL FOL_S!"

Uh, I'd like to buy a vowel
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I'm kidding. yeah, that's the ticket. I don't watch either one--Spongebob is on!, but I think Wheel comes on first here and then Jeopardy!, so the analogy wouldn't really work.

A neutron goes into a bar and asks the bartender, "How much for a beer?" The bartender replies, "For you, no charge."

that ought to separate the herd.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

"THAT'S ALL FOLDS"?

intellectuals? ashton kutcher was on there the other day. i'll pay for this, but jeopardy! was scads harder 20+ years ago. it is sort of the poster child for the dumbing down of america. don't get me wrong, i'd lose, but at least i can answer several questions now.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

no, no, no, OS, it's THATS ILL FOLDS--a laundry critique!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

oily slick wrote:"THAT'S ALL FOLDS"?

intellectuals? ashton kutcher was on there the other day. i'll pay for this, but jeopardy! was scads harder 20+ years ago. it is sort of the poster child for the dumbing down of america. don't get me wrong, i'd lose, but at least i can answer several questions now.
Well, they always dumb down game shows when idiotic celebrities are competing.

I think the point of the show is that there will always be questions anyone can answer, but certain questions that will stump most of us.

I personally don't think I could stand a chance on Jeopardy!, except maybe Rock 'n' Roll Jeopardy!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

me too, and only if it was pre-early 90's rock n roll. in the way back, i could watch the whole damn board go away w/o answering much of anything. maybe i'm getting smarter, but i look at what my kid has to do to get decent grades in what is considered a good high school and i wonder.
miss buenos aires

I want to get a haircut, but I feel like things are conspiring against me. On Sunday, I was going to go to this place in my neighborhood, but I decided to hang out at the coffeehouse first, and I ran into the salon owner. "What are you doing here?" I said. "I need a haircut!" She said, "Honey, we're closed Sundays, didn't you know? And I don't think you should get a haircut--come by on Tuesday and we'll do a glaze or something." Then I saw a flyer for this place on the Lower East Side called Crops for Girls that does the first cut free, and I was going to go, but then I went to their web site, and I have the sneaking suspicion that I already got a haircut for free from this guy at a different salon, and it was a very good haircut, but then he said something discriminatory against older women, so I wrote him an angry letter, and now I'm scared he'll recognize me and take revenge...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Ah yes...

I've been going to a guy named Fabio for years.... nice guy... I used to be happy with how he cut my hair.. but now he seems to do weird things with it. I've tried to tell him to tone it down for a bit, but I'm convinced I can do better.

Damn hairdresser loyalty!

Either way, I'm going to have to get my hair cut soon.. I'm starting to look like one of The Standells again.
miss buenos aires

Well, I'm starting to get that affliction known to us curly-tressed lasses as "Pyramid Head."
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Ah yes, good old pyramid head.

I've been avoiding a hair cut for a very long time now....eventually I'm going to have to cave, but I don't like me with short hair usually. Short curly hair is just not fun.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

BlueChair wrote: I'm starting to look like one of The Standells again.
well you know lowell george was in the standells for like 12 minutes; you could go for that kind of a look :idea:
miss buenos aires

RedShoes wrote:Short curly hair is just not fun.
See, I used to think that. But it's just not true! We must stop the self-loathing! Short curly hair is the best! It's the most fun! It's kicky! It's cute! It falls fetchingly in our faces! Straight-haired people envy us!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I have to say Im partial to a bit of curly hair...not too curly, Im not talking perm, just naturally curly, so that it makes 'locks'. That's gorgeous, especially if it's redhair.

I'd have to say red straight hair would be a precedent to curly any other colour hair though...in a 'lets not count personality like a chauvinist idiot' kinda way. :D

How many of you guys talk to the barber? I sometimes do, but sometimes if you don't I feel like it, I feel really bad. ''Someone is touching my head, and Im not even asking them inane questions that they dont want to answer and I dont care about the answer''.
It's like when you get in a taxi...Im not talking about a black cab...I mean a residential one, where you sit in the front seat. What do you talk about...the weather, 'hows business?'...they're not interested, you're not interested....it's idle chit chat. Does my head in!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I always feel pretentious when talking to my barber...

Fabio: I went to see T3 this weekend... so awesome!

BlueChair: Um, yes... perhaps to a mule.

Fabio: Did you catch the hockey game last night?

BlueChair: No, I was busy reading Shakespeare's sonnets

Etc.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

So, Blue,

Does your barber use "I Can't Believe It's Not Shampoo!"?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

laughingcrow wrote: It's like when you get in a taxi...Im not talking about a black cab...I mean a residential one, where you sit in the front seat.....
huh??? front seat? no WAY!

i've seen folks in the front seat only in the following situations:

we've got too many folks trying to cram into the cab, and the driver takes pity on us and lets one sit in the front.

my dad was in the cab with us, and he's disabled, and can't get in and out of a backseat. he required the extra leg room of the front seat.

but otherwise? no way. y'all sit in the back.

guess this might be a difference between the US and the UK, eh?
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I guess...I don't mean a yellow cab situation, I mean the type that pick you up from an airport...that kind.
Anyway, you're probably best off sitting in the back, that way you don't have to shit-chat. :D
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I've had some really nice conversations with cabbies. Of course, they might not feel the same about me!

I had a nice driver in Glasgow who was very happy I didn't mispronounce 'Edinburgh'. Of course, everyone in Glasgow is nice, right Crow? Okay, perhaps a slight generalization...

One time I was chatting up this cabbie and he said he'd comp me the fare if I could guess where he was from on the first guess. I did (Algeria) and we both nearly fainted. Just drunkard's luck on my part really. I paid him anyway of course.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

There's only one bunch of Glaswegian Assholes. And I got to spend two whole nights sleeping next to their washing machine! I'm lucky that way.