A Tribute to Joni Mitchell

Pretty self-explanatory
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Elvis contribution to a Joni Mitchell tribute album, Edith And The Kingpin, is no longer in legal limbo.
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003524519

December 21, 2006, 3:30 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Bjork, Prince, James Taylor and Elvis Costello are among the artists who have recorded covers for "A Tribute to Joni Mitchell," due in the spring via Nonesuch. The 11-track set also boasts contributions from Sarah McLachlan, k.d. lang, Emmylou Harris and Sufjan Stevens.

In related news, Billboard.com has learned that Mitchell has been recording original material at a Los Angeles studio in recent weeks. It is unknown in what form she plans to release the music; she angrily announced she was quitting the music business in 2002 after her last album, "Travelogue."

"A Tribute to Joni Mitchell" comes concurrently with 429 Records' "Endless Highway: A Tribute to the Band," due Jan. 30. That projects boasts covers from Death Cab For Cutie, My Morning Jacket, Jack Johnson and Widespread Panic, among others.

Here is the track list for "A Tribute to Joni Mitchell":

"Free Man in Paris," Sufjan Stevens
"Boho Dance," Bjork
"Dreamland," Caetano Veloso
"Don't Interrupt the Sorrow," Brad Mehldau
"For the Roses," Cassandra Wilson
"A Case of U," Prince
"Blue," Sarah McLachlan
"Ladies of the Canyon," Annie Lennox
"Magdalena Laundries," Emmylou Harris
"Edith and the Kingpin," Elvis Costello
"Help Me," k.d. lang
"River," James Taylor

Here's pretty decent audience recording of a performance he did with the Charles Mingus orchestra back in November 2001.

http://www.4shared.com/file/7220360/8d5 ... _2001.html
Last edited by martinfoyle on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Thanks Martin! I just downloaded and I'm anxious to listen.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

`Bump!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Edith and the Cape?!

Thanks, good to hear this.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This sounds amazing. I can't wait to hear Sufjan do "Free Man In Paris," one of my favourite Joni songs.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Agreed, will be wonderful.
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

Annie Lennox recorded a version of "Ladies of the Canyon" for her Medusa album in '95, it didn't make the final cut but was released as a B-side on one of the singles. I wonder if they're going with that version or if she's going to take another crack at it.

It was a pretty rendering, if unspectacular. (And I'm a huge Annie fan)

I'm really looking forward to kd lang's "Help Me".
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nonesuch.com/Hi_Band/index_f ... _alpha.cfm

April 10, 2007
Joni Mitchell

http://www.nonesuch.com/Hi_Band/index_f ... _alpha.cfm

2-79921

Free Man in Paris / Sufjan Stevens
Boho Dance / Björk
Dreamland / Caetano Veloso
Don’t Interrupt The Sorrow / Brad Mehldau
For The Roses / Cassandra Wilson
A Case of You / Prince
Blue / Sarah McLachlan
Ladies Of The Canyon / Annie Lennox
Magdalena Laundries / Emmylou Harris
Edith And The Kingpin / Elvis Costello
Help Me / k.d. lang
River / James Taylor
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

On a related note - Joni is getting inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame this weekend in Toronto.

http://www.cansong.ca/en/inductees/2007.aspx
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.shorefire.com/index.php?a=pressrelease&o=762

February 1, 2007

April 24th Release Set For 'A Tribute To Joni Mitchell, The First Major Album Honoring The Seminal Artist

"Prior to this moment, only in our wildest and sauciest dreams could we picture Sufjan Stevens, Björk, and Prince rolling around together. Nonesuch Records, however, has made our dreams a reality"
-PitckforkMedia.com, 1/03/07

'A Tribute to Joni Mitchell', the first major US tribute album to the legendary artist, is set for release on Nonesuch Records April 24th. Musicians from many genres are represented on the 12 tracks of both rare and quintessential songs from the revered and influential singer/songwriter's expansive career.

Each performer's distinct takes on 'A Tribute to Joni Mitchell' are true to their own artistry, proving Mitchell's universal appeal and versatility as a songwriter. Mitchell becomes the thread linking together these otherwise very different musical styles into a cohesive and brilliant creation.

Executive producer and Nonesuch Records President Bob Hurwitz, a longtime admirer of Joni Mitchell, came across the project upon Nonesuch's move to Warner Brothers in 2004. It was started in the late '90s, but never completed. He says:

"I loved much of what I heard from the first group of recordings; the best of the tracks, at least to me, sounded like these artists were singing for an audience of one: Joni Mitchell. They knew she would hear their recording of her song, which has to be one of the most daunting tasks any musician can face.

In moving forward, I thought that there should be a purpose to every track: each should be a reinvention or an homage, or be performed by an artist who was a part of Joni's life or whom I knew she admired, or whose life was changed by Joni. Listening to them all, one can only be struck by the incredible craft she brought to these songs, all written as intensely personal statements, yet having the expressive resilience that allows other great artists to find part of their own musical life in her creations."

'A TRIBUTE TO JONI MITCHELL' TRACK LIST:
1. Free Man in Paris- Sufjan Stevens
2. Boho Dance- Björk
3. Dreamland- Caetano Veloso
4. Don't Interrupt The Sorrow- Brad Mehldau
5. For The Roses- Cassandra Wilson
6. A Case Of You- Prince
7. Blue- Sarah McLachlan
8. Ladies Of The Canyon- Annie Lennox
9. Magdalena Laundries- Emmylou Harris
10. Edith And The Kingpin- Elvis Costello
11. Help Me- k.d. lang
12. River- James Taylor
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Sounds very interesting, will be sure to give it a listen once it's out. I haven't listened much to Björk, but The Jungle Line sounds very Björk to me. Then again, perhaps it would be boring if she did that.

Free Man In Paris, Help Me, Edith and the Kingpin, all among my favourites. Havn't heard all of these originals, but most of them at least.
Otis Westinghouse

Björk boring? Not in her DNA.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://music.guardian.co.uk/omm/story/0 ... 66,00.html

Sunday March 18, 2007
The Observer

Later this year there will be a new record from Joni Mitchell tackling religious zealotry and climate change; meantime, there is a new Tribute... album (Nonesuch), which sees artists as different as Sufjan Stevens (an eccentric 'Free Man in Paris') and Prince (a beautiful 'Case of You'), as well as Caetano Veloso, Elvis Costello and Bjork tackle the canon with mixed results.
Otis Westinghouse

Great Observer, by the way. Paul Morley, bless him, on Arcade Fire. big interview. Very nice freebie CD with live stuff from Thom annd Johnny, inc. lovely No Surprises. Just piano, guitar and voice. 5 stars for new Kings of Leon LP.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Just dipped into a leaked copy of this album (find it for yourself, if you're rapid enough) and I like it. The Elvis track is exactly what you'd expect, nicely understated vocal, the Mingus guys run the show. I'll be buying a proper copy of this next month.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.atributetojonimitchell.com/

[quote]“Edith and the Kingpinâ€
Otis Westinghouse

I love the samples. What an incredible kaleidoscope of styles! It's going to be very diverse to listen to.

I love the fact that brad Meldau's piano only rendition is included - how imaginative! I've heard great things about him from a big jazz fan friend of mine, and this does sound like wonderful piano. (I read he has a very good new record wout with Metheny.)

That's a great site for getting a taste of it and then comparing to the original. I like the sound of all the clips, though I find James Taylor's voice boring and very unmagical, especially when held up against Joni's fabulous rendition of the original. I like EC's arrangement, and the Mingus link is a great idea as it's a bond he has with Joni (and he's quoting one of Mingus's greatest moments there), but his version sounds a bit stiff and awkward next to the sensual flow of Joni. Maybe it will work better in the context of the whole LP. Can't wait to get this record.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.ireland.com/theticket/articl ... 25365.html

Most of the songs of Joni Mitchell (particularly her golden decade of the 1970s) are so ingrained in the mind of the discerning music fan that any deviation is a shock to the system. Interpretations and versions are all well and good, but if the messing about is done without grace and charm, you might as well be listening to Hayseed Dixie's metal makeovers of bluegrass tunes. It isn't all bad here: Björk's version of The Boho Dance is typically skittish while still holding on to the virtues of the original. Prince's A Case of You is also suitably adorned with a measure of respect, as is Annie Lennox's Ladies of the Canyon and Emmylou Harris's The Magdalene Laundries . The head-scratching stinkers include Cassandra Wilson's For the Roses, Caetano Veloso's D reamland , and Elvis Costello's Edith and the Kingpin . Save your money for Mitchell's forthcoming studio album - this is for completists only. TONY CLAYTON-LEA

Ouch! Tony, you may recall, had a go at doing an EC biography a few years ago.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The full details for this ( from the booklet with the CD) -

Elvis Costello , vocals
Andy Findon , flute
Chris Caldwell, bass clarinet
Paul Pritchard , French horn
Hugh Seenan, French horn
Peter Whyman, saxophone
John Barclay, flugel horn, trumpet
Roy Babbington, bass guitar
Anthony Kerr, vibes
Pete Thomas, drums

Produced and arranged Elvis Costello

Recorded August 21 , 1997

Westside Studios, London

Mixed by Kevin Killen at Avatar Studios, New York , NY
Assistant engineer : Anthony Ruotolo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just checking E.C./Wiki I see that Aug.21 '97 is five days before Elvis did a little anothologised appearance on Irish radio. I must dig out the tape of
that( I think Elvis finished it with a acoustic performance of Good Year For The Roses) and see if this is referred to .

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... raphy_1997
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just checking E.C./Wiki I see that Aug.21 '97 is five days before Elvis did a little anothologised appearance on Irish radio. I must dig out the tape of
that( I think Elvis finished it with a acoustic performance of Good Year For The Roses) and see if this is referred to .
Listening to the tape Elvis mentions that he had seen U2 in concert in London the previous week. U2 played shows at Wembley Stadium on Aug. 22/23 '07 . So after recording the Mitchell track he saw one/both(?) of these shows -

22 August 1997
http://www.u2achtung.com/03/setlists/concert.php?id=904

23 August 1997

http://www.u2achtung.com/03/setlists/concert.php?id=905

The rest of the radio show has Elvis telling the usual stories. It had been his 43rd birthday the day before and he was in mellow, humorous form. Ross McManus's 1963 recording of At Last is played in full, unlike the extract on Desert Island Discs.

I'll post some downloads of extracts later.
Otis Westinghouse

So you have the CD, John? How does it sound as a whole?

Amazon reviews here not too encouraging:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tribute-Joni-Mi ... 462&sr=1-2
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I've been listening to a very good download for a while. I've never been a big Joni fan so some subtleties may elude me but it all sounds a bit samey after a while. I still can't abide Bjork so that doesn't work for me. Elvis' track is the highlight , with a beautifully paced and delivered vocal over very tasty sounding French horn ( my fave. wind instrument hence all those John Barry soundtracks that fill my shelves). Having listened again to the Irish radio interview that dates from the time of the session , my perception of the track is all the more wondering. In the hour and a half of talking he sounds so content , especially in his very loving comments about Cait. Even though it is none of my business, natural curiosity ensures that I keep wondering what happened to sour the relationship.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Sadly I have to disagree with the esteemed My Foyle - ECs 'Edith and the Kingpen' is truly awful - right up there, or should I say down there, with his mangling of 'God Only Knows'. The great thing about the original is the pace, but Elvis has slowed it down to a tortuous crawl, and has given it a truly horrible , overly fussy horn arrangement. He murders it.

There is good news though, the Prince version of 'A Case of You' is fucking brilliant.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Sadly, I have to agree with Mike (and Tony Clayton-Lea).
The horn arrangement is indeed tortuous, the singing is forced and the song made my ears bleed.
I think I'm starting to have enough of EC's jazzy/bluesy meanderings.
There, I've said it.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed