Yes, but he's done worse...
No votes
It's a huge disappointment...bring back Von Otter
No votes

Total votes: 15

Jackson Monk

North.....Is it all bad ?

Post by Jackson Monk »

So North has been about on the web for a while and it's been in the UK shops for 5 days.

Is it a disappointment ?

PS. This poll is set at five days and we'll try again in a month to see if views have changed.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Only 4 more days!!!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I still drum my fingers getting through the first three tracks, and I'M IN THE MOOD AGAIN is just too smarmy for my taste. But the rest of it is classic stuff. Can't wait to have the official copy, and hear the bonus stuff.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I went for the middle one...it is not life changing, mind altering music like some of his previous records, but is a good record. It's not a record that you might have on in the car, but then neither is Tchaikovsky (another genius). I was going to say that it's not a record you might sing to yourself, but I have constantly been singing some of the songs off this this week.
I think musically it is ambitious, but the work with Paul Harvey and Burt Bacharach especially seem to have helped him overcome all barriers quite successfully. The orchestration and tone of the record he should be proud of, I think it's amazingly well done considering that he had no/little outside help, and it fits every song perfectly.

Of the songs themselves, at present I love...

You Left Me In The Dark,
Someone Took The Words Away,
Still,
Let Me Tell You About Her,
When Green Eyes Turn Blue,
Impatience (which is kind of slotted on the end)

The others are fine songs, but yet to touch me.

Again, the biggest thing for me about this record is how personal and intimate it is, and how well it comes over in the tone and orchestration of each song.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I voted work of art even though I've only heard Still.

Man, I can't wait. SMM, those first couple tracks sound like they'd be PERFECT for my Midwestern and your New England AUTUMNS!!! Next month muggy baby, you'll be in the mood again.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

LTZ, it's FALLEN that's most autumnal, of course.

You're right, I'll get a much-needed boost when the air crisps up a bit. Fall is so bittersweet-- all that exhilaration, only to be followed by the hunkered-down stillness of winter.

Funny how opinion runs so wide as to fave tracks on this so far!!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I can't wait to discover a favorite track elfmadesmug!! :) :D :o :lol:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I have now had the album a week and have played it 2 or 3 times every day and it still hasn't really grabbed me yet, I'm just finding it all too slow. If it wasn't EC I probably would have ditched it. Maybe seeing the tracks performed live will get me going (or send me to sleep (mental note: knock back a few espressos prior to concert)).
I think Still is my favourite track so far.
signed with love and vicious kisses
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I sounded a bit too harsh there, let me clarify. I think it is a good record, with one or two excellent tracks, but it's just not my cot.
signed with love and vicious kisses
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I think the best way to get into this album is to listen to it alone in bed, in the dark, with a walkman....isolating myself is the way I began to hear what it says.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Crow, I second that. That's exactly what I did. Not recommended for anyone in a romantic funk, however... unless you want to spend a few weeks in bed with three dozen boxes of tissues.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

They're holding a copy for me at the record shop, and I'll pick it up this arvo. I'll need more time to evaluate.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

selfmademug wrote:unless you want to spend a few weeks in bed with three dozen boxes of tissues.
Ahem! Calling Copenhagen, calling Copenhagen!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Well, I've listened to it once, and can tell it's going to keep growing on me (and I'm very excited by it so far). Definitely not a disappointment. Of its kind, I dare say it might be great. And I don't know that I have any record in my collection of its kind...
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Verbal...we'll see!!! My girlfriend and I will be attending his concert here in Denmark....he's playing out in the sticks actually! boo hoo hoo.