Top 10 EC cover versions

Pretty self-explanatory
25to12

Post by 25to12 »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
25to12 wrote:Someone else likes Slow Down! Brilliant version that, never heard the original (can't recall who actually wrote it though :roll: ), and I think better than the Jam's version on In the City.
It was Larry Williams wasn't it?

Reading miclewis' post (welcome by the way!) reminded me of what a fantastic version Elvis sung of Anyone Who Had A Heart on the Painted From Memory tour.
That's the guy! Love Costello's version. Still, there's no faulting Sad About Girls either, but I Can't Stand Up has to be my favourite at the moment.
...the cost of living in sin would make a poor man out of Paul Getty...
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

Elvis is so good covering newer songs, like Fiona Apple's "I Know" or harmonizing on Green Day's " Up When Septamber Ends" ( or even Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful"); I kinda wish he would have an annual or bi-annual album of covers of good songs of the year. He could even sell subscriptions for them.

More favorite choices:

1.Running Out of Fools and 2.Please Stay from Kojak Variety
3.Honky Tonk Girl
4.God Only Knows (with the Brodsky Quartet) I like the "A Case for Song" version a little bit better than "Live from Town Hall"
5. At Last (from Piana Jazz)
Sorta cover versions: 6. Hora Decubitus and 7. Blood Count from My Flame Burns Blue
8. Sally Sue Brown
9. The World of Broken Hearts
10. Lost in the Stars
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Miclewis wrote:I kinda wish he would have an annual or bi-annual album of covers of good songs of the year. He could even sell subscriptions for them.
Biennial perhaps - two regular cover version albums a year might be too much even for Elvis (although Elvis is everywhere!). But then...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
DeathWearsABigHat

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

can't believe nobody's mentioned It Tears Me Up yet!
and Sleepless Nights (the G.Parsons tribute album version or the live version with Emmylou)
Is Really Mystified a cover?

here's my top 10.................

What's So Funny Bout PL&U
Nothing at the End of the Rainbow
I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself (live Stiffs version)
Broken Bicycles / Junk
The Point of No Return
It Tears Me Up
Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down
Withered & Died
Sleepless Nights
From Head to Toe

and on the subs bench...........
Smile
Ship of Fools
Gloomy Sunday
You're No Good
Really Mystified
I Cant Stand Up for Falling Down
Find Yourself Another Fool
Innocent When You Dream
The Bells (is that a cover? it sounds like one. does anyone know who did the original?)
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

DeathWearsABigHat wrote: Is Really Mystified a cover?
"Really Mystified" was originally performed by The Merseybeats on their 1964 self-titled album.
DeathWearsABigHat wrote:The Bells (is that a cover? it sounds like one. does anyone know who did the original?)
"The Bells" is one of Motown's forgotten gems, co-written by Marvin Gaye and originally recorded by The Originals (also in 1964). Laura Nyro does a terrific version on Gonna Take A Miracle.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
DeathWearsABigHat

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

Oh cool, I've just realised that The Bells is the last track on disc 2 of my "Best of Laura Nyro" cd.
Never noticed that before because I've only really ever listened to disc 1.
Anyway I'm listening to it now, thanks for the tip.
Has anyone else got that Good Year for the Roses CD with all the original versions of tunes EC has covered. Isn't about time for a Volume 2 (and 3, and 4.....)
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Mikeh wrote:I'd only get it after alll other studio LPs, with the exception of For The Stars, which I still can't be bothered to get, and maybe never will.

I really like For the Stars! I think No Wonder is one of EC's best songs that he hasn't recorded. He did it live with the Imposters in Manchester and it was a true highlight.
I love lots of the songs on For The Stars, which i think is unfairly maligned. Green Song, No Wonder and the title track are excellent.
Their version of Broken Bicyles/Junk is great imho.
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Miclewis wrote:Elvis is so good covering newer songs, like Fiona Apple's "I Know" or harmonizing on Green Day's " Up When Septamber Ends" ( or even Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful"); I kinda wish he would have an annual or bi-annual album of covers of good songs of the year. He could even sell subscriptions for them.

More favorite choices:

1.Running Out of Fools and 2.Please Stay from Kojak Variety
3.Honky Tonk Girl
4.God Only Knows (with the Brodsky Quartet) I like the "A Case for Song" version a little bit better than "Live from Town Hall"
5. At Last (from Piana Jazz)
Sorta cover versions: 6. Hora Decubitus and 7. Blood Count from My Flame Burns Blue
8. Sally Sue Brown
9. The World of Broken Hearts
10. Lost in the Stars
Personally I think he butchered 'God Only Knows'. :o
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I must get For Ther Stars to hear for myself. Silly of me to have lots of rarer things and ignore this. I have the South Bank Show docu on tape somewhere - that felt enough at the time. revisited Koj Var this week, and it didn't sound as bad as I recalled. Obviously they're hot musicians, but you feel for a selection of 'some of my favourite songs recorded with some of my favourite musicians', it should all sound more exciting. The whole is not greater than the individual parts, and the appeal wears thin over an LP. Also, some magical songs, e.g. I Threw It All Away, end up being a bit dull. There are some good ones, though. I don't find his cover of Waits' Innocent When You Dream really adds anything, but does take quite a lot away.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
funstan

Post by funstan »

My ten would be in no particular order would be:

Gathering Flowers for the Master's Bouquet
I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down
Must You Throw Dirt in My Face
PLU
A Matter of Time
Wheels
Hidden Charms
Leave My Kitten Alone
Psycho
Tonight the Bottle Let me Down
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

It's funny, How could I forget (What's So funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding)?

Elvis' version is so definitive and such an Elvis classic, I forget that he didn't write it.

P.S. There is a great solo, acoustic version of it by Nick Lowe on "The Doings". Though too bad there isn't an official release of Elvis and Nick doing this live as an acoustic duet.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Miclewis wrote:It's funny, How could I forget (What's So funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding)?

P.S. There is a great solo, acoustic version of it by Nick Lowe on "The Doings". Though too bad there isn't an official release of Elvis and Nick doing this live as an acoustic duet.
There are quite a few bootleg versions of it though. I bet there is a studio version of it which is in a vault somewhere. No doubt the record label didn't want to release it as it was too good (as they did with Baby It's You :? )
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

My top few off the top of my head:

She Loves The Jerk
So Young
Get Yourself Another Fool
Gloomy Sunday
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Miclewis wrote:It's funny, How could I forget (What's So funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding)?

Elvis' version is so definitive and such an Elvis classic, I forget that he didn't write it.

No official version, true, though there is this...

My favourites -

Peace, Love and Understanding - the definitive version
I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down
How Much I Lied - I don't dig the Gram Parsons one as much
I like Really Mystified as well, nice to hear him do something that's not too serious!
Remove this Doubt (don't think anyone's mentioned this)
and Must you throw dirt in my face from KV
Also Good Year for the Roses
And The Ugly Things. One of my favourites.

I will doutbless remember some more as soon as I press "Submit"!
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

guidedbyvoices wrote:My top few off the top of my head:

So Young
Yep, forgot that one!
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.