Diana Krall pregnant

Pretty self-explanatory
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

For all those who care to see the bump during DK's upcoming press tour for the new album, here are her press appearances in the upcoming week or so. (BTW, for those of you in Toronto, Diana and EC are in town. She recorded an interview with the local jazz radio station earler today.)

Sept. 15 People Magazine - On newstands
This is very last minute, but I just found it on the official site:

Sept. 15 CBC Newsworld and CBC
CBC National on Newsworld ~ Excerpt of Peter Mansbridge's Interview airs at 9:35 ET and on the main CBC at 10:35 LOCAL TIME

Sept. 16/ 17 CBC Newsworld Peter Mansbridge: One on One
Anchor Peter Mansbridge sits down for a special "One on One" interview with Diana. Airs Saturday at 4:30pm and 9:30pm, Sunday at 12:30am, 5:30am and 3:30pm
Perhaps it will be available online here:
http://www.cbc.ca/mansbridge/

Sept. 17 New York Times - Profile by Stephen Holden in Sunday's edition

Sept. 18 CTV Canada AM (6:30-9am EST)

Sept. 20 Jazz FM Interview
(91.1 in Toronto, streams online at http://www.jazz.fm)
- Part 1 - Ralph Benmergui Show (6-10am EST)
- Part 2 - Dinner Jazz (7-9pm EST)

Sept. 19 or 20 CBC Radio 2 Interview - Afer Hours with Andy Sheppard (10pm EST)
(streams online at http://www.cbc.ca/listen/index.html#)

Sept. 20 Late Show w/ Dave Letterman (recorded Sept. 19th?)

Sept. 20 NBC The Today Show - Diana with EC

Sept. 21 Bill Clinton Charity Event

Sept. 25 Tavis Smiley Show (PBS)

Sept. 27 Tonight Show w/ Jay Leno

Sept. 29 Rose Theatre Gala Opening, Brampton, Ontario (full concert)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/albums.shtml

U.K. Top 40 Albums : 17.09.2006

29 NEW
New Entry (-)
Diana Krall
From This Moment On

(Verve)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A few 'new bits' in this -

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news ... 21&k=35940

Krall up
Impending motherhood has inspired Canada's premier jazz singer to relax, face her idols and realize that sometimes, it's just the plink-plink-plink that counts

Mike Doherty
National Post

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

It is often said that for a musician, releasing an album is like giving birth. A few months away from delivering twins, and with a new album out today, Diana Krall has particular insight into this comparison: "My legs don't swell when we're doing an album!"

Sipping tea in a posh Toronto hotel room and dressed all in black, Krall looks decidedly un-swollen apart from the obvious bump. Apparently pregnancy, despite its inconveniences, had a positive effect on the recording of From This Moment On.

"I found out I was pregnant the morning I started doing this record," she recalls. "There's a relaxed feeling [in the music] -- I'm more settled in myself. There's no, 'I must write, and I must do this and I must live up to this.' I didn't have any agenda at all; I just wanted to enjoy myself and have a party."

In person, Krall seems composed and quietly self-confident. Being relaxed is key when approaching standards such as Willow Weep for Me and How Insensitive, which she covers on this record. A singer could easily freeze up with the dread of having to follow in the giant footsteps of Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Shirley Horn, Astrud Gilberto and others. Indeed, Krall admits, "There's a couple tunes that I've always wanted to do, but there are versions of them by someone I admire so much that I didn't know what I could add. Then again, you could feel that way about everything, so there has to come a time ..."

From This Moment On marks Krall's return to jazz standards after last year's Christmas Songs and 2004's The Girl in the Other Room, which featured newer pieces, some of them co-written by Krall and her husband, Elvis Costello. The new album should quiet some of her more reactionary critics -- as she notes, "I often have interviews, especially in Europe, where they say, 'You're not jazz anymore. Why aren't you sticking with the tradition?' " However, this was hardly Krall's rationale for recording the album. Although she is easily one of jazz's most commercially successful artists, she is uncomfortable compromising her sense of personal and musical freedom. She was ambivalent, for instance, when informed last year that she had won three of the inaugural Canadian Smooth Jazz Awards.

"I'm grateful for the honour," she says, "but I'm not one for labels. I don't want to be called a 'smooth jazz artist,' which seems to be to be a creation of radio. ... It really irritates me! I had to do a bunch of 'smooth jazz' IDs, and here I am, happy that radio stations are playing my music, [but] I had a problem saying, 'Hi, I'm Diana. You're listening to the smoothest, smoothest jazz.' I didn't want to be put in a category. It's usually everybody else's agenda; it's not the artist."

Krall's own aesthetic agenda seems to have less to do with being "smooth" and more with contributing a mix of emotion and stateliness to the songs she sings. Aiding the Nanaimo, B.C., native in this quest on From This Moment On is Los Angeles-based arranger and bassist John Clayton, whose sense of big-band colour provides subtle shading. The Clayton/Hamilton Jazz Orchestra's soloists themselves add character -- clearly none of them have been encouraged to hold back and let Krall's personality dominate entirely.

On the sprightly title track, Clayton's son, Gerald, whom Krall babysat in her early twenties, sits in for the singer on piano and unleashes some fleet, tasty runs. Krall describes his playing as "brilliant," but when asked whether being accompanied by someone else provides more freedom, her answer is a surprising "no."

"The nice thing about accompanying yourself is that you don't oversing. I think I can tend to fill in spaces that aren't necessary. I keep that more in mind now when I'm being accompanied, to just let the time go by."

The ideas of maturity and hard-earned wisdom come up time and again in Krall's conversation, as if the prospect of having children has given her a new perspective in her work. For one thing, she has been learning to not feel intimidated by her idols. At a ceremony last year for the unveiling of Oscar Peterson's postage stamp in Toronto, Krall played the great pianist's tune When Summer Comes, and sang lyrics written by Costello. Krall's visible nerves merely contributed to the moving quality of her performance -- there was nary a dry eye in the audience. Afterwards, she recalls, Peterson and his family invited Krall and Costello to their Mississauga home, where she played his nine-and-a-half-foot Bosendorfer grand piano (a.k.a. "The Box").

"You have to put aside your ego and your fears and saying, 'Oh my God, it's Oscar Peterson! I'm going to suck' -- and enjoy the moment," she says. "We ended up playing and singing Nat Cole tunes together, and Elvis sang with him too. It became one of the greatest experiences I've ever had in my life."

Earlier this year, Krall was pleasantly shocked to be asked to write the foreword to Volume Six of the Complete Peanuts anthologies: "I thought, 'Holy shit!' -- pardon my language. Garrison Keillor wrote [a foreword], and Walter Cronkite, and I have pictures of my sister and me when I was a little girl, with my dad drawing Snoopy."

Composing the foreword brought her back to the reasons she recorded From This Moment On. She writes about an especially memorable Peanuts scene "where Lucy is asking Schroeder to play Jingle Bells and, to her disappointment, he runs through every grand version including one on the pipe organ until you hear Schroeder's exasperated toy piano ... 'plink plink plink, plink plink plink, plink plink plink plink pliiiiinkkkkkkkkk!!!!,' then the revelatory 'That's it!' from Lucy."

Says Krall, "That's my mantra: 'Sometimes it's just the plink-plink.' You can do all these fancy things and explore different areas, and sometimes it's just good to come back to what you know and what is simple -- getting your hands in the mud."

- From This Moment On is released today by Verve. The Complete Peanuts 1961-1962 is available from Fantagraphics Books.

Amazon US-

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Peanuts- ... 49?ie=UTF8

The Complete Peanuts 1961-1962 (Hardcover)
by Seth (Designer), Charles M. Schulz (Author), Charles M. Schulz (Author), Diana Krall (Introduction)

# Hardcover: 346 pages
# Publisher: Fantagraphics (October 2006)
# Language: English
# ISBN: 1560976721

Amazon Canada-

http://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Peanuts-1 ... &s=gateway

# Hardcover: 344 pages
# Publisher: Fantagraphics Books Inc (Sep 15 2006)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Random, but I had Mike Doherty (the author of that article) as a professor in my 4th year of university. Really good guy who happened to moonlight as a rock journalist. When he walked in on the first day we all thought he was a student because he's in his early-to-mid 30s and looks younger. He's also the only prof I ever had who invited the whole class to join him for drinks after his final lecture.

Anyway, back to Diana :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

johnfoyle wrote: A few months away from delivering twins, and with a new album out today, Diana Krall has particular insight into this comparison:
TWINS!! - why didnt anyone tell me? :shock:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Gillibeanz wrote:
johnfoyle wrote: A few months away from delivering twins, and with a new album out today, Diana Krall has particular insight into this comparison:
Gilli, are you saying you haven't been checking the Diana Krall Pregnant thread on a regular basis ? :wink: :lol:
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

No IP I havent - whats to check after you know she's up the duff and going to drop it in December?? :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Gillibeanz wrote:you know she's up the duff and going to drop it in December?? :lol:
Now this is an expression we just don't here in the southern US. :lol:

I hope EC and Diana teach the little ones about their Irish Heritage. Perhaps a trip to the Museum of Irish Roots from Family Guy. http://www.devilducky.com/media/27483/

It is funny but apologies ahead of time to any non-drinking, Irish folks. :)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Gillibeanz wrote:whats to check after you know she's up the duff and going to drop it in December?? :lol:
That there's not more than one of the little critters!
Gillibeanz wrote:
Didn't you get Elvis' text message? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
scielle

Post by scielle »

"Elvis and I went to look at strollers the other day..."

http://download.yousendit.com/59AED85449F35FA9

For those interestred - the above's a link to a CBC Radio interview Diana did last week. Plenty of talk about EC and even Matthew gets mentioned (though not by name). File runs approx. 50 minutes, w/ songs.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Okay, so I had this dream last night that I had been invited to some baby shower with Elvis and Diana and I couldn't figure out what the hell to buy them. I kept thinking, "everybody needs diapers, but it seems like such a stupid thing to get a celebrity." Anyway, I also dreamed that I heard her say that both of the babies were boys and that Diana had already picked out names - Lat and Spencer, who would be called Spence. I don't really understand what the hell that was about.

Although I did drink a lot of Sangria with dinner last night. . . . . :lol:
migdd

Post by migdd »

Hey, Spooky. . one wonders what the tots' names would have been if you had been drinking white wine! :)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

From This Moment On in the charts:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003187154

Diana Krall's "From This Moment On" (Verve) enters at No. 7 on The Billboard 200 with 85,000. It's also her seventh No. 1 on the Top Jazz Albums chart.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/K/Kra ... 60-ca.html

Krall has No. 1 'Moment' on charts

By JOHN WILLIAMS

Canadian chanteuse Diana Krall jazzed her way to the top of the Canadian album charts with her new collection of standards.

Her album "From This Moment On," the follow-up to 2004's "The Girl in the Other Room," debuted at No. 1 with sales of over 26,000 copies, according to figures compiled by Nielsen SoundScan.

It edged out Justin Timberlake's "FutureSex/LoveSounds" (24,000), which fell to No. 2 after premiering at No. 1 last week.

"From This Moment On," her third chart topper, beat the first-week sales of 2001's "The Look of Love," which racked up 30,000 copies in its debut week in September of 2001. Her high-water mark continues to be "The Girl in the Other Room," which had 37,000 in sales back in May of '04.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://rjcharity.spaces.live.com/Blog/c ... 1203.entry

September 28

Welcome to Toronto Elvis

For those who grew up in the 80’s or have discovered his music recently, Elvis Costello is a musical icon. You might be aware that he married Diana Krall whose playing at Rose Theater Brampton, Ontario on the 29th.

For those on flight AC 726 from La Guardia to Toronto last night, it was a surprise to see him. It was humorous to sit back and watch other do a double take – ‘Is that who I think it is….â€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 9483191630

Toronto Star

Pregnant Krall glows at the Rose

Sep. 30, 2006. 01:00 AM

ASHANTE INFANTRY
ENTERTAINMENT REPORTER

So much for the sleepy suburbs.

The denouement of Canada's premiere jazz vocalist, who currently has the country's top album, took place last night — not at Massey Hall, Roy Thomson Hall or the Hummingbird Centre — but the Rose Theatre.

Never heard of it?

Welcome to Brampton, baby.

With black tie and big city prices — $400 per ticket — Diana Krall delivered her swan song at the grand opening of Brampton's $55 million performing arts centre before heading off on maternity leave.

"I have my own audience," she said, taking her place at the piano bench, in reference to the twins she's expecting in December with singer-songwriter hubby Elvis Costello, who introduced her.

The Nanaimo, B.C., native was in fine form, clad in a clingy black dress and modest heels, delivering standards inspired by Peggy Lee, Irving Berlin and Nat King Cole. Performing in a quartet setting, with bassist Paul Keller, drummer Jeff Hamilton and guitarist Anthony Wilson, voice sexily husky, she favoured the piano playing side of her artistry — maybe because of the pregnancy-related breathlessness she displayed between songs or the presence of audience member and esteemed pianist Oscar Peterson, whom she described as her idol.

Krall has sold more than 14 million records since her 1993 recording debut and garnered seven Junos and two Grammys.

Organizers of the facility were thrilled at their good fortune — the 880-seat main theatre was almost full despite the steep price. "We had to charge that; it's the cost of the artist and the number of seats we had," explained the theatre's general manager, Steve Soloski. Regular prices for the centre's lineup of comedy, theatre, music and dance will range from $18.75 to $99, he said.

When the team booked Krall in February they knew they were getting the first show after the Sept. 19 release of From This Moment On.

"The rest was bonuses," Soloski added with a grin. The rest refers to landing her last show before giving birth as well as her only GTA performance all year.

On the downside, she only performed a couple of songs from From This Moment On. Oh, well, there's always spring — when Krall is expected to resume touring.
scielle

Post by scielle »

johnfoyle wrote:The Complete Peanuts 1961-1962 is available from Fantagraphics Books.

Amazon US-

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Peanuts- ... 49?ie=UTF8

The Complete Peanuts 1961-1962 (Hardcover)
by Seth (Designer), Charles M. Schulz (Author), Charles M. Schulz (Author), Diana Krall (Introduction)

# Hardcover: 346 pages
# Publisher: Fantagraphics (October 2006)

Amazon Canada-

http://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Peanuts-1 ... &s=gateway

# Hardcover: 344 pages
# Publisher: Fantagraphics Books Inc (Sep 15 2006)
From Diana's foreward -

"...my husband claims he most resembles Pigpen..."

mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Pigpen's old lady ought to be dropping them twins any day now. I forget how many weeks they (the doctor types) try to get moms of multiples to - 36? 32? is this really any of my business?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I was thinking that today myself, Moody. Any day now. I'm her same age and I just can't picture having twins now. . . . . :roll:
verbal gymnastics

spooky girlfriend wrote:...I just can't picture having twins now...
Ooh, I had a Cope like moment then :wink:

Anybody been texted yet?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Apparently they are due now around their wedding anniversary!

*Throws a bucket of cold water over VG and smacks his nose with a rolled up newspaper* :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
verbal gymnastics

Gillibeanz wrote:*Throws a bucket of cold water over VG and smacks his nose with a rolled up newspaper* :lol:
What? :? :lol: Surely it wasn't just me :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://people.aol.com/people/article/0, ... 93,00.html

Diana Krall, Elvis Costello Welcome Twins

FRIDAY DECEMBER 08, 2006 05:15PM EST

Singers Diana Krall and Elvis Costello welcomed twins on Dec. 6, PEOPLE has learned.

Boys Dexter Henry Lorcan and Frank Harlan James were born in New York City, according to a rep for the couple, who adds, "Mother and sons are doing splendidly."

Krall and Costello said in a statement, "We are ecstatic!"

The babies are something of a third-anniversary gift for Krall, 42, and Costello, 52, who wed in London on Dec. 5, 2003.

In September, Krall told PEOPLE she's genetically disposed to a double delivery: "I have twins on my mother's side as well."

And she knew even then that she wouldn't dress her kids up in matching outfits: "Nah," she said with a laugh, "I won't be doing that."

http://www.shorefire.com/artists/ecoste ... 08_06.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 8, 2006

Statement from Diana Krall and Elvis Costello

Diana Krall and Elvis Costello announce the Dec 6th birth of two beautiful baby boys, Dexter Henry Lorcan and Frank Harlan James, in New York City. Krall and Costello said "we are ecstatic!". Mother and sons are doing splendidly.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Wow, congratulations to Diana and Elvis !!!
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This surely deserves its own thread - but congrats to Diana and Elvis all the same!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Hey Woz

Re: Diana Krall pregnant

Post by Hey Woz »

Happy birthday Dexter and Frank!!