What's your best ever EC gig?

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Re: What's your best ever EC gig?

Post by Man out of Time »

sulky lad wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:15 am beyond compare, The New Picket, Liverpool July 2007 wins hands down. A blistering soul set with Allen Toussaint on a postage stamp sized stage and every song was perfect. As a huge Bruce fan, I was stunned at how brilliant Paul Bryan was on bass - he had all the licks and still was funky and dynamic. I think there may be another board member who might agree here too ! :wink:
This is also my best ever gig. A ridiculously small space, hot and cramped. Elvis, Allen and the band of eight had no room to move, the guitar tech had to work from the floor below the stage, because he couldn't squeeze on or off the stage itself. The setlist a great mix of Elvis "hits" and The River In Reverse.

Will we ever see the like again?

MOOT
notangry

Post by notangry »

10/30/99 Hard Rock Live, Orlando: Elvis and Steve. 3-hours, 40 songs. Roger McGuinn came out for 3 or 4 songs. Had seats in the front and moved down to the stage at the end for an off-mic Couldn't Call It Unexpected No. 4.
When EC used to hand write his setlists:
1999-10-30_Orlando_stage_setlist.jpg
1999-10-30_Orlando_stage_setlist.jpg (125.72 KiB) Viewed 105800 times
Last edited by notangry on Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Wow. Does a recording exist?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Man out of Time wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:07 am... the guitar tech had to work from the floor below the stage, because he couldn't squeeze on or off the stage itself.
Will we ever see the like again?
I was right next to the guitar tech, he told me it was the first time he had undertaken this role for Elvis. He certainly earned his fee that night as EC required his guitar changes without a nanoseconds delay in the momentum of the show. Afterwards he refused my request for his setlist saying that he needed it for the Tower show a couple of nights hence (this was yonks before Toast was stopping setlists being handed out, in fact this show was the first one that Chris Holding worked as part of Elvis' crew on lighting duties I think]. However he did give me one of his stock of spare plectrums although to my shame I've lost it!

Will we ever see the like again? I doubt it. Perhaps the Gramercy run is the nearest modern day equivalent albeit in a 500 capacity venue rather than a 300 one. Perhaps the idea for that NYC run was born at the New Picket? EC certainly said on stage that they would all have preferred a 10 night run in Liverpool than having to perform that gig in London .

Colin
DeathWearsABigHat

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

Top balcony wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:37 pm
sulky lad wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:15 am but beyond compare, The New Picket, Liverpool July 2007 wins hands down.
I think there may be another board member who might agree here too ! :wink:
Yes that will be me.
There were enough elements from that evening which would have made it a contender for my best ever : I managed to get in (via the kindness of a friend and strangers) without a ticket, in a tiny club in my hometown, was on the front barrier, inches from the small-postage-stamp-sized stage, EC laughed at one of my shout-outs and repeated it. And that was without the music!

The playing was stellar with fantastic arrangements for the Crescent City Horns. EC was clearly having the time of his life. Another gig his mum attended with Alan Bleasedale on wheelchair pushing duties. My only disappointment was that having talked about singing Nellie the Elephant for his newly arrived twins, he didn't give it an airing that evening.

An audience recording exists which I'll take to my grave, tucked in under the Everton shirt, to quote Anni-Frid and Agnetha " Thank you for the Music"!!
Not seen EC anything like as many times as some on here. I've been to somewhere around 32ish gigs.

I was at that Picket one as well with Allen Tousaaint. I have a few short video clips from that gig at the bottom of this article.
https://trustthewizards.com/2014/02/17/ ... 3-to-2007/

That was definitely the smallest venue I've seen EC play, It might be my best ever too, can't decide between that one and a couple of others.....

Leeds University, 28th May 2005.
Just a few days after LFC had won the Champions League. EC in jovial mood, the Imposters absolutely on fire.
And just look at that setlist. https://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/ind ... 5-28_Leeds

The other gigs that I remember as being the best were the 2 "residencies" at Shepherds Bush Empire with The Attractions.

I went to all 4 Sunday nights there in 1994, every one of those gigs was just amazing.
One in particular stands out though, where they opened with a brand new song called All This Useless Beauty.
Once again, just look at the setlist... Hand In Hand!! Lipstick Vogue!! Why Don't You Love Me Like You Used To!!
https://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/ind ... -18_London

A couple of years later they played 4 consecutive Fridays at the same venue.
I only went to 3, explanation below.

These gigs all featured a short Elvis & Steve section in the middle, then they'd start Oliver's Army with just the 2 of them, Bruce & Pete joining in halfway through.
The last of those 4 nights was particularly memorable.
A solo version of Indoor Fireworks, other particular favourites of mine that I've not heard live many times Motel Matches, Riot Act & Human Hands.
Plus of course loads of All This Useless Beauty songs, an album I happen to think is his most underrated.
As before I urge you to check out the setlist.
https://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/ind ... -26_London

The reason I only went to 3 of the 4 nights in 1996 is because I was at Phoenix Festival for the other one.
On the main stage of that festival that Friday night I saw Alanis Morrissette, Foo Fighters, Manic Street Preachers, Neil Young & Crazy Horse
That's just 1 of the 4 evenings that festival had by the way, other nights had Sex Pistols, Bjork and David Bowie.
Festival lineups in the 90s were INSANELY GOOD!
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com
Psc

Post by Psc »

Yes, I remember the Shepherds Bush gigs in 96! I went to the second show and the last one. Human Hands and Motel Matches.. :o I should probably add that to my Top 3 :D
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

DeathWearsABigHat wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:24 pm
sulky lad wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:15 am but beyond compare, The New Picket, Liverpool July 2007 wins hands down.
I think there may be another board member who might agree here too ! :wink:
Yes that will be me.
There were enough elements from that evening which would have made it a contender for my best ever : I managed to get in (via the kindness of a friend and strangers) without a ticket, in a tiny club in my hometown, was on the front barrier, inches from the small-postage-stamp-sized stage, EC laughed at one of my shout-outs and repeated it. And that was without the music!

The playing was stellar with fantastic arrangements for the Crescent City Horns. EC was clearly having the time of his life. Another gig his mum attended with Alan Bleasedale on wheelchair pushing duties. My only disappointment was that having talked about singing Nellie the Elephant for his newly arrived twins, he didn't give it an airing that evening.

An audience recording exists which I'll take to my grave, tucked in under the Everton shirt, to quote Anni-Frid and Agnetha " Thank you for the Music"!!
Not seen EC anything like as many times as some on here. I've been to somewhere around 32ish gigs.

I was at that Picket one as well with Allen Tousaaint. I have a few short video clips from that gig at the bottom of this article.

That was definitely the smallest venue I've seen EC play, It might be my best ever too, can't decide between that one and a couple of others.....

Just a few days after LFC had won the Champions League. EC in jovial mood, the Imposters absolutely on fire.
And just look at that setlist. https://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/ind ... 5-28_Leeds

The other gigs that I remember as being the best were the 2 "residencies" at Shepherds Bush Empire with The Attractions.

I went to all 4 Sunday nights there in 1994, every one of those gigs was just amazing.
One in particular stands out though, where they opened with a brand new song called All This Useless Beauty.
Once again, just look at the setlist... Hand In Hand!! Lipstick Vogue!! Why Don't You Love Me Like You Used To!!

These gigs all featured a short Elvis & Steve section in the middle, then they'd start Oliver's Army with just the 2 of them, Bruce & Pete joining in halfway through.
A solo version of Indoor Fireworks, other particular favourites of mine that I've not heard live many times Motel Matches, Riot Act & Human Hands.
Plus of course loads of All This Useless Beauty songs, an album I happen to think is his most underrated.

The reason I only went to 3 of the 4 nights in 1996 is because I was at Phoenix Festival for the other one.
On the main stage of that festival that Friday night I saw Alanis Morrissette, Foo Fighters, Manic Street Preachers, Neil Young & Crazy Horse
That's just 1 of the 4 evenings that festival had by the way, other nights had Sex Pistols, Bjork and David Bowie.

What great memories ! And of course all of these shows you mentioned were recorded for posterity - allegedly !
DeathWearsABigHat

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

sulky lad wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:54 am
DeathWearsABigHat wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:24 pm
Yes that will be me.

What great memories ! And of course all of these shows you mentioned were recorded for posterity - allegedly !
Would love to hear recordings of those gigs, it would be wonderful if someone were to message me to let me know how that might be possible.
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com
Standstobeinsulted

Post by Standstobeinsulted »

I attended Leeds University 1982-1985 and Elvis played the "fresher's ball" in my 1st week. Set list comprised 33 songs including a variety of clues as to his future direction(s). The power, ferocity and diversity of the set was stunning. His voice was better than anything he had recorded to that point in time. (Get) Happy days indeed!!

Just to reinforce the point here is the list of acts who played the University in my 1st year:

October 6 – Elvis Costello and the Attractions
October 9 – John Martyn
October 16 – Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
October 30 – Bauhaus; Joy Division
November 6 – Yazoo
November 20 – Gillan
November 27 – Simple Minds
December 2 – Kid Creole and the Coconuts
December 7 – The Fall
December 11 – Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five
December 17 – Echo and The Bunnymen
February 7 – The Stranglers
February 15 – Mendes Prey
March 5 – Fun Boy Three
March 18 – U2
March 19 – Tears for Fears
March 23 – Mari Wilson with The Wilsations
May 7 – Thompson Twins
May 11 – Kajagoogoo
May 14 – The Alarm; The March Violets; Three Johns
May 24 – Robert Palmer
May 25 – Motörhead
June 25 – Motörhead

A couple of comments on the above; firstly the refectory was/is(?) actually a fairly poor venue sound and configuration wise but had an almost mythical status as a result of The Who's 'Live at Leeds' album. The 'This is England' iteration of The Clash busked outside the refectory on the afternoon of The Allarm gig (seemingly as an ironic comment on said band's derivative output).
Brodsky

Post by Brodsky »

Good thread question, but a hard one to answer. I haven't been to as many EC shows as many of our illustrious brethren here, but while I might be operating strictly from recency theory, I probably would pick Night #3 at the Gramercy Theater. His interaction with Steven Colbert's bassist that night was sublime. I was lucky to go to Night #2 as well, but I thought he was in slightly better voice on Night #3.

I saw a number of "Detour" shows, but the best was my first one at the Boulder Theater, a very intimate venue, on March 1st, 2015. He did two "New Basement Tapes" tracks with Larkin Poe, including "Six Months in Kansas City", which was a nice treat.

If I were to pick an Imposters show, there was the time I saw him at the top of Beaver Creek Mountain in Colorado on September 16, 2017. That was more of a greatest hits type of concert (with some deeper cuts.) But the Imposters rocked, and I was standing at the very front of the stage. Even got to see a mini-soundcheck, earlier that morning, by Steve, Pete and Davey (no Elvis though;)). Anyway, the backdrop of the Rocky Mountains at 11,000+ feet was amazing and the fall sunshine weather, which was slightly breezy, was great. So, that might be the most memorable.

My first Attractions show at Forest Hill Tennis Stadium in 1982 gets honorable mention (that setlist included "From Head to Toe" and some other obscure--at least to me--covers.)

I was lucky enough to see shows with the Confederates and the Sugarcanes over the years, but the above are the best for me.

I knew that I couldn't pick one:)!

Looking forward to attending my 25th EC show this January in Kansas City.
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

This is always a tough one to answer, because--like many other board members--I've seen Elvis in so many iterations:
Elvis and the Attractions
Elvis and the Attractions + the TKO Horns
Elvis solo
Elvis and the Rude Five
Elvis and Steve
Elvis and the Brodsky Quartet
Elvis and Burt Bacharach and Steve and orchestra
Elvis and the Imposters
Elvis and the Imposters + Charlie Sexton
Elvis and the Imposter + Charlie Sexton + Horns

Tough to compare them all (and tough to think about the ones I didn't see, like Allen Toussaint or the Sugarcanes). Some highlights:

Elvis and the Attractions in Cleveland August 15, 1982. My very first Elvis show. I had tickets to see the English Mugs tour with Squeeze, but sadly the show got cancelled due to a snow storm. I was heartbroken. Still, nothing beats your first Elvis show, with the Attractions firing on all cylinders and touring behind Imperial Bedroom. 35 big songs!

Elvis and the Attractions + the TKO Horns in Allentown August 3, 1983. Lots of fun, the TKO horns sounded great--a good party. Plus, Aztec Camera as the opening act.

Elvis and the Brodsky Quartet in New York City March 18, 1993. Felt like a special event, which I think it was. As Elvis was announcing they were going to play the last song, my buddy yelled out "Jacksons, Monk, and Rowe" and Elvis asked if we wanted to hear it again. The audience did! So we were treated to an extra song.

Elvis and the (reunited) Attractions in New York City August 6, 1995. It was a surprise for the Attractions to reunite at all. But then for Elvis to workshop songs before going in to record All This Useless Beauty was a delight. Plus, Opportunity!

Elvis and Steve at the Royal Albert Hall in London April 15, 1999. Favorites old and new in a swank setting. Bonus points for finishing the show with Couldn't Call It Unexpected #4 off mic. A top concert moment.

Elvis and the Imposters and the Spectacular Spinning Songbook in New York City October 21, 2011. Our beloved entertainer. Mary-Louise Parker coming out to give the wheel a spin, giving us both His Latest Flame and Town Cryer. I was disappointed the wheel didn't land on Hoover Factory.

Elvis solo in Morristown, NJ November 27, 2013. The ultimate setlist--Imagination Is a Powerful Deceiver, King of Confidence, Wave a White Flag, My New Haunt, Harpies Bizarre, etc etc. The seeds for the Gramercy run were planted here.

Elvis and the Imposters + Charlie Sexton + horns in New York City July 12, 2023. Maybe the most challenging of all the Elvis shows I've seen, but one of the best. I wrote this up in another thread, and have thought about the show a lot over the ensuing months.

OK, I guess I've seen a lot of best ever Elvis gigs. :D
Last edited by Harry Lime on Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
jmm

Post by jmm »

I agree with Harry Lime, hard to pick but fun to think about. My possibilities include:

spinning songbook where I got to spin (Oliver’s army) and Hubert Sumlin guested;

a number of the spectacle takings, especially “build a band” with Levon helm, Richard Thompson, nick Lowe, AT & the imposters;

magic numbers with Rosanne cash & Mr L;

Detour in Tokyo where he told the whole story of not being able to get arrested on first visit;

At njpac with imposters during goodbye cruel world tour;

At mann music center in Philly with attractions, tko horns and afrodysiac;

Taping of vh1 show with Billie Joe, death cad & Fiona apple

Solo show in Morristown nj (see Mr lime)

With Burt, et al at radio city;

At Ed Sullivan theatre with imposters for full blistering rock set;

SF shows at hardly strictly and charity shows around it. Like Elvis sings nick, Nick sings Elvis and another with the preservation hall jazz band;

Gramercy shows were incredible

I could keep going but instead…

The show in Montréal with Allen et al that become hot as a pistol … dvd would be the one I’d pick if I could just see one again. Makes it my best I guess. Still hoping for a dvd with the full set list someday!
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I politely decline, but enjoy reading your picks all.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:05 pm I politely decline, but enjoy reading your picks all.
Boooo!

Come on ba, pick one from your 150+ shows. I dare you.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

docinwestchester wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:32 pm
bronxapostle wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:05 pm I politely decline, but enjoy reading your picks all.
Boooo!

And don’t pick 8 nights of BAD as an alternative ! :shock: :D
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

First three nights at at The Royalty Theatre London, November 1986. My first time seeing him outside Northern Ireland, and first ‘run’ of shows. Small venue, previously used as a TV theatre for This is Your Life. First night, as immortalised on the This is Tomorrow boot of the BBC recording, a solid band show playing all but one track from Blood and Chocolate. Very little chat from EC. Second night the (largely forgotten?) solo Wonderful world of travel, EC extremely chatty, slide show, interacting with a live TV broadcasting. Showcased King of America. Third night the first and best iteration of the Spinning Songbook, lots of fun (Volare, anyone?).

Always hoped the second and third nights had been recorded by the BBC.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:45 am
docinwestchester wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:32 pm
Boooo!

And don’t pick 8 nights of BAD as an alternative ! :shock: :D

Ok... give me the weekend to devise my reply to this
jmm

Post by jmm »

BA it helped me to answer a slightly different question. Lots of shows are the “best ever” for different reasons given all of the rich, diverse presentations EC has given us. Thats why I answered “which ONE would I choose to see again” instead.

You might go in a different direction but it felt right to me without being too far off topic.
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Okay folks, I'm gonna have to do it incrementally...I'll go chronologically one at a time so I can give voice to why it was a BEST EVER SHOW.

EC AND ATTRACTIONS 12/31/1981 Almost Blue, Almost 82 was my 5th! I remember being SHOCKED at the absurdly expensive ticket price of $29.50, quasi grateful my girl and I broke up just before ticket sale and kinda happy to go alone and enjoy the show without needing a conversation alongside the sounds. I loved the foray into country music and the first set with nearly the whole lp plus John McFee and 7 or 8 greatest hits was stellar. The set break was unexpected and fairly brief thankfully, and Steve was sent out at ten of midnight to play Christmas tunes and more to end the year. Of course, E then started the new year nicely with a blistering PLU and the boys gifted us excellence for the next ninety minutes or so including a hefty 6 or 8 unreleased IMPERIAL BEDROOM songs. That we got presented a free calendar, the playing of PSYCHO and a 44 song tally in my math book, made it quite the memorable New Year's Eve show and especially so 365 days after seeing Bruce and E Street tear it up on 12/31/1980. All my Elvis shows are special, but number 5 was indeed other worldly!

https://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/ind ... 1_New_York
Last edited by bronxapostle on Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Fantastic memories BA and of course a fantastic show-,Steve’s playing in his solo spot was probably the spark that led to Keyboard Jungle and Playboy and the range of songs would have been amazing. I’m so glad you raised the princely sum and got your best gig - and that it’s been shared so freely :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Okay folks, I'm gonna have to do it incrementally...I'll go chronologically one at a time so I can give voice to why it was a BEST EVER SHOW. You folks might know the danger, once you get me started. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dumb luck, my following show eight months later was magnificent on many levels, hence BEST SHOW EVER No. 2. My 6th time seeing E. this one at JFK Stadium 8/21/1982...the soon to be beloved home of LIVE AID for us here in America,. It was special as it was my first of so many road trips and one I did not have to think on too hard. As a fan of many sorts of music, I was.NOT put off that it was in essence, an opening slot, for Genesis. They were past their artistic heyday but valid enough to have many radio hits in this era. Could Elvis and the boys do the nearly impossible at that juncture and win over the prog rock crowd? How could I have even wondered. The Attractions barreled out of the gate with sheer force that had the crowd immediately enthralled as we all knew it was a special day on the agenda. Not only did the gents play most of what the strangers in the house might know a tad, they highlighted their new release and mixed in covers too to keep the faithful amongst us on our toes too. The crowd did not sit for the 80 or so minutes and would NOT take "NO!!" for an answer when it came to encore time. The gorgeous summer day, with everyone's much loved BLONDIE and the amusingly likable A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS each helped add on to a great day, alongside a stunning GENESIS stadium closing set as darkness fell. A small amount of times of seeing Elvis as the opener...this one in addition to both, Steely Dan and THE WHO for me. Sadly, I missed THE POLICE go round due to illness, but I always call this date, this one, THE show that made ELVIS COSTELLO an indisputable star in the USA for the rest of all time!!

https://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/ind ... iladelphia
Charles

Post by Charles »

bronxapostle wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:21 pm Okay folks, I'm gonna have to do it incrementally...I'll go chronologically one at a time so I can give voice to why it was a BEST EVER SHOW.

EC AND ATTRACTIONS 12/31/1981 Almost Blue, Almost 82 was my 5th! I remember being SHOCKED at the absurdly expensive ticket price of $29.50, quasi grateful my girl and I broke up just before ticket sale and kinda happy to go alone and enjoy the show without needing a conversation alongside the sounds. I loved the foray into country music and the first set with nearly the whole lp plus John McFee and 7 or 8 greatest hits was stellar. The set break was unexpected and fairly brief thankfully, and Steve was sent out at ten of midnight to play Christmas tunes and more to end the year. Of course, E then started the new year nicely with a blistering PLU and the boys gifted us excellence for the next ninety minutes or so including a hefty 6 or 8 unreleased IMPERIAL BEDROOM songs. That we got presented a free calendar, the playing of PSYCHO and a 44 song tally in my math book, made it quite the memorable New Year's Eve show and especially so 365 days after seeing Bruce and E Street tear it up on 12/31/1980. All my Elvis shows are special, but number 5 was indeed other worldly!

I wasn’t even at this show, but MY GOD, it’s now MY favorite show! Haha!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Charles wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:02 pm
bronxapostle wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:21 pm Okay folks, I'm gonna have to do it incrementally...I'll go chronologically one at a time so I can give voice to why it was a BEST EVER SHOW.

I wasn’t even at this show, but MY GOD, it’s now MY favorite show! Haha!
[/quote

I’m shocked - an Elvis show you missed ! :shock:
Still you’ve seen some classics for sure :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

BEST SHOW EVER NUMBER 3: SOLO AT AVERY FISHER HALL 4/15/1984...the first solo tour was a work of art to behold. It was also the first time my brother and I recorded a show. Lord knows how brotherapostle got that fairly large box in the house, security was so tough at Lincoln Center this night. I caught the show the night before at a Long Island college, but this one here was an event! Elvis in fantastic voice, in a gorgeous and acoustically perfect hall and a slew of unreleased songs from the forthcoming lp including ONLY FLAME IN TOWN, HOME TRUTH, WORTHLESS THING, LOVE FIELD and PEACE IN OUR TIME which were all immediately embraced by the audience. ELVIS at the electric piano on many songs was a big unexpected treat for me this tour as well as my first time seeing STRANGER IN THE HOUSE, JUST A MEMORY, MOTEL MATCHES, MOUTH ALMIGHTY plus some surprise covers like GIRLFRIEND, I'LL MAKE IT ALL UP TO YOU and Bob Dylan's I THREW IT ALL AWAY which was immaculately sung this evening (I never heard Elvis do it better.) All this added up to a most supreme night. Oh, and I have loved our debut tape job the nearly forty years now. :D :D

Yours always, ba (brilliant analogue)
krm

Post by krm »

This is a tricky one but I have come to a kind of conclusion that I have to bring up the following 8.

Best because it was so great
-Roskildfe festival in June 1989 - EC comes in and does his - for the time - usual solo set in and hour, has a small break where suddenly extra mics and a drumset are rolled in on the stage. Out comes EC, Pete Thomas, Nick Lowe and Glenn Tillbrook and they go on for another hour!

Spinning songbook Stockholm November 1986: I never saw anything like it before and The Attraction were as fantastic as they could be. Extra guest Jackson Brown added surprise factor de luxe!

Copenhagen 2022. EC imposters and Chrlie Sexton did a standing only venue at the end of the 2022 tour during the hottest day of the summer. They were enjoying themselves and the audience were into it too. All gigs at the tour that I caught were superb, but this one had that little extra.

In addition to these, there are a few ones worth to be mentioned
Nov 1985 Malmö - The Pogues are touring during their (in my opinion) best phase. Shane MacGowan is indisposable and Elvis, as part of the touring entourage, sorts things out and joins the band on stage on lead vocal on quite a few songs

Glasgow 2012 Clyde auditorium - The return of the SPinning SOngbook. The tour was not even close to appear near home, so a decision was taken to do a roadtrip that paid off for sure. The gig itself was fantastic and great, but the experience of travelling to a gig brought everything to a whole new level

Tokyo summer sonic festival 2009 - An ordinary festival setlist where ELvis was squeezed in between Joan Jett and the Blackhearts and The Specials made a very nice evening.

Honorary mention:
Bodö Norway in Aug 2013 great show (aren´t they all?) - but this was one of those where you meet people that instantly became friends! The after gig shenanigans also added to the positive vibrations
Edinburgh Playhouse in June 2018 - same as Bodö
Last edited by krm on Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.