Elvis on The Late Show, January 21, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis on The Late Show, January 21, 2022

Post by sweetest punch »

https://1430wcmy.com/2022/01/17/elvis-c ... new-album/

Elvis Costello to perform and be interviewed Friday on ‘The Late Show’ following release of new album

On the heels of the release of their latest studio album, The Boy Named If, Elvis Costello and his longtime backing group The Imposters will be the musical guests this Friday, January 21, on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, airing 11:35 p.m. ET on CBS.

Costello also will take part in an interview on the show.

(…)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Neil.

Re: Elvis on The Late Show, January 21, 2022

Post by Neil. »

I really hope he does 'What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love'!!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

It seems unlikely this will be a performance with The Imposters - unless it was prerecorded last year - maybe at Memphis Magnetic.

Steve has scheduled a webcast as part of The Immobile Tour Backstage for Sunday January 23, and suggests he will be in France for that. It would be possible for him to fly to the US and back for Colbert, but it seems a long way to go.

Perhaps Jon Batiste will fill in on piano, or maybe Charlie Sexton on guitar?

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Man out of Time wrote:It seems unlikely this will be a performance with The Imposters - unless it was prerecorded last year - maybe at Memphis Magnetic.

Steve has scheduled a webcast as part of The Immobile Tour Backstage for Sunday January 23, and suggests he will be in France for that. It would be possible for him to fly to the US and back for Colbert, but it seems a long way to go.

Perhaps Jon Batiste will fill in on piano, or maybe Charlie Sexton on guitar?

MOOT

I agree...I will not even try to go to 53rd Street that day to try my luck. I can't see the band being there at all and am doubtful if E will not do his bit remotely. Though I could be wrong. If I was not retired and still working a block and a half away, of course I would walk by on my lunch hour. :D :D
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Upon further investigation and as per all my best recollections...as far back as Letterman late shows in the same Ed Sullivan Theatre...there is NO SHOW being filmed tomorrow JANUARY 21, 2022. There was always some variation in taping schedule all these years regarding the taping of the show to air on the Friday of each week. Sometimes two shows would be filmed on Monday and other weeks twice on Thursday. I do not know unequivocally when these differences occur. However as my viewing of the Colbert site for tapings this week and the upcoming two weeks illustrate: NO SHOWS WILL FILM ON FRIDAYS. again if I was still working on 52nd Street two blocks away....i would have walked by once on my coffee break and again extensively stalked the situation at lunch hour. WALK BY IF YOU ARE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD AND LET US KNOW PLEASE Price if still near Radio City Music Hall working. If I wasn't called to Grampa duty for a snow day 50 miles away...I would be headed downtown NOW after all as I got the fever.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

As per twitter...post televised show portion additional performance of FAREWELL>PLU
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.avclub.com/stephen-colbert- ... 1848404586

Stephen Colbert and Elvis Costello make us misty with stories of their late moms
Costello also shares tales of Beatles, beetles, and keeping your inner idiot alive

Elvis Costello thinks he knows the shared origin story of all the world’s villains. Appearing on Friday’s Late Show to promote his new album with The Imposters, The Boy Named If and generally be elfish and charming, the legendary rocker told Stephen Colbert that it’s all about the F chord. Specifically the “mechanically nearly impossible” transition into the F chord when playing a guitar in C, a beginners-thwarting hand movement Costello claimed was what sent so many frustrated guitarists on to become everything from dictators, to chiropractors, and other sadistic types. “They were all ex-guitar players who were frustrated,” stated Costello confidently.

And while it’s worth checking into, say, the performing ambitions of the young Donald Trump and your dentist, Costello told Colbert that what’s kept him going so long without killing anybody (The Boy Named If is his 32nd or so studio album) is keeping alive the “inner idiot” that still views the creative process with the same childlike curiosity that saw the young Declan Patrick McManus plucking out his first chords. Costello noted self-deprecatingly that he still only knows a few such chords (Colbert pointed to the complicated throwback progressions of “A Slow Drag With Josephine” as proof to the contrary), and that his dizzyingly diverse discography is all down to not forgetting the “play” part of playing guitar. (Costello also noted that he’d wanted the vinyl version of The Boy Named If pressed onto old-time shellac, but conceded that he “didn’t want to kill so many beetles.”)

Costello also told Colbert about his recent foray into disc jockeying in the basement studio of a Liverpool record shop (Defend Vinyl at Liverpool 15), where he broadcast (to YouTube) a set of all-vinyl recordings from his new album and musicians he likes. Telling Colbert that his mother’s recent death at 93 inspired much of his choice of records (and that his former record shop assistant mum would laugh at him accidentally playing some Freddie King at the wrong speed), Costello explained how, for him, the three-and-a-half-hour set was a way of finally saying goodbye after having to hold a virtual funeral for his mother, thanks to this COVID bullshit.

Colbert, seeing the floodgates open (aided by Costello’s reminiscences of having written songs alongside Paul McCartney and then seeing the former Beatle at the London premiere of Peter Jackson’s The Beatles: Get Back), then chimed in with his own heart-wrencher of a mother story. The host emotionally thanked their years-ago duet on The Everly Brothers’ “All I Have To Do Is Dream” for providing him with the then-fresh knowledge to provide his own dying mother with a proper musical sendoff. Colbert explained that it was Costello teaching him the harmony that allowed him to accompany his sister Margo in singing that song to their mom in her hospital bed back in 2013. Thanking Costello for preparing him for that moment, Colbert recalled his mother asking, “Is this already Heaven, because my children are singing to me,” and is it getting a little dusty in here?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I love that this says 32nd or so studio album.

No doubt there is a list somewhere to show the names of all of his albums. The 32nd album is repeated a lot.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I love that this says 32nd or so studio album.

No doubt there is a list somewhere to show the names of all of his albums. The 32nd album is repeated a lot.
The Discography on the EC Wiki lists 35 "Major Albums" but that list includes Piano Jazz, Il Sogno, and the live album "The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook". If you were to discount those three, that makes 32.

But then Piano Jazz was certainly recorded in a studio, as was Il Sogno (just not by Elvis) - hence the hedging around the number.

MOOT
krm

Post by krm »

Man out of Time wrote:

The Discography on the EC Wiki lists 35 "Major Albums" but that list includes Piano Jazz, Il Sogno, and the live album "The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook". If you were to discount those three, that makes 32.

But then Piano Jazz was certainly recorded in a studio, as was Il Sogno (just not by Elvis) - hence the hedging around the number.

MOOT
In the wiki list there are also COstello&Nieve and My Flame Burns blue that are not studio recordings. On the other hand, I think both El Mocambo and Live at Hollywood High qualifies as a "major album" and could be added to the list.

and yes, I have a slow day at work today.......
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

krm wrote:
Man out of Time wrote:

MOOT
In the wiki list there are also COstello&Nieve and My Flame Burns blue that are not studio recordings. On the other hand, I think both El Mocambo and Live at Hollywood High qualifies as a "major album" and could be added to the list.

and yes, I have a slow day at work today.......
Good job we're not coutning coompilations, bootlegs etc !!!
There's something to keep you busy KRM ! :wink: :lol: