The Boy Named If, new album by Elvis & The Imposters, January 14, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: The Boy Named If, new album by Elvis & The Imposters, January 14, 2022

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... s-costello

The reader interview
Post your questions for Elvis Costello
As he releases new album The Boy Named If, the veteran songwriter will answer your questions on his decades-spanning career

Next month marks the return of one of the UK’s most enduring and versatile singer-songwriters: Elvis Costello, whose new album with his band The Imposters, The Boy Named If, is out on 14 January. Alongside the release, he’ll answer Guardian readers’ questions, which you can post in the comments section below.
(…)
Post them in the comments section below by 3 January. We will publish his answers in the 7 January edition of the Film & Music print section, and also online.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://recordcollectormag.com/reviews/ ... y-named-if

Elvis Costello & The Imposters | The Boy Named If
Reviewed by Daryl Easlea

Elvis Costello’s 32nd album, titled The Boy Named If, underlines why he is one of Britain’s greatest songwriters. It continues the purple patch that began with 2018’s Look Now with a level of intensity and focus that recalls his commercial and critical zenith at the turn of the 80s. Co-produced by Costello alongside the US-Argentinian engineer and producer Sebastian Krys, the record’s full title is The Boy Named If (And Other Children’s Stories). As Costello explains, “‘If’ is a nickname for your imaginary friend; your secret self, the one who knows everything you deny, the one you blame for the shattered crockery and the hearts you break, even your own.”

It certainly gives him licence to go full-tilt – the album begins with the punch of Farewell OK, and doesn’t let up until Mr Crescent 12 tracks later, and it examines “the last days of a bewildered boyhood to that mortifying moment when you are told to stop acting like a child – which for most men (and perhaps a few gals, too) can be any time in the next 50 years.”

Given that the album was recorded remotely, it has all the vigour and spirit of a band sitting eyeball to eyeball; and it is impossible not to see the attraction of The Imposters. Costello scythes away at his old Jazzmaster, and delivers some incredibly effective solos and sings at times in his higher, breathier register and deploys his vocals-as-percussion machine-gun approach; Steve Nieve is back to full-on piano cascades and Vox Continental mauling; Davey Faragher’s bass and backing vocals radiate; and Pete Thomas is simply on fire, especially on The Death Of Magic Thinking. It is with good reason that Costello calls Thomas “the greatest British rock’n’roll drummer playing today;” some of the material here was worked up directly between the two of them before adding Nieve and Farragher’s contributions.

While the music may evoke This Year’s Model, the wordplay here harks back to the wit and wisdom of the pun-rich Armed Forces/Punch The Clock eras. Mistook For A Friend occupies the Subterranean Homesick Blues of Pump It Up, full of hooks and Beatles backing vocals: “I was working miracles for petty cash and chemicals.” My Most Beautiful Mistake is up there with some of his most precious jewels. With a honeyed backing, the tale of the “waitress with dreams of greatness” uses filmic references and includes lyrics that remind this writer why he had such an intense relationship with Costello decades ago: “He wrote her name out in sugar on a Formica counter; ‘You could be the game that captures the hunter.’ Then he went out for cigarettes, as the soundtrack played The Marvelettes.”

Although there are many tender moments on the album (such as the lovely saunter of Trick Out The Truth and the sweet touch of Mr Crescent), it is the power of the oldage rampage that stuns.

A few years ago, Costello had to abandon his UK tour because of a cancer scare, but there is no question that on The Boy Named If he is in the rudest possible health. Listeners may have abandoned Costello at certain points in the late 20th Century due to his restless genre-hopping, but treading the same ground was never an option. And if any album was going to reignite passion for his work, The Boy Named If is it. Sublimely crafted, incredibly well-played, there are all the reference points, yet it never sounds like a composite of old glories. The intelligence, urgency and immediacy of his 32nd album are a most welcome surprise.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Blimey, they're really going for this one, aren't they? Can't wait.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I too am really looking forward to this - but I have to confess I'm surprised at the fact that 'Paint the Red Rose Blue' has been released as a lead track for radio play. We all know Elvis is a fantastic writer of sad songs, but I don't think this one scales his usual heights. That's not to say it's bad - I'll be very curious to hear all the other tracks and try to work out why they chose this one. It's so slow and dare I say it a bit dreary, it's like the love child of 'Heart-Shaped Bruise' (which I prefer) and 'Pardon Me Madam...'. I only say this cos it's not a public forum, wouldn't spread negative vibes. However, the sound is great, as was Farewell OK and Magnificent Hurt. I still have high hopes for this album!
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Neil. wrote:I too am really looking forward to this - but I have to confess I'm surprised at the fact that 'Paint the Red Rose Blue' has been released as a lead track for radio play. We all know Elvis is a fantastic writer of sad songs, but I don't think this one scales his usual heights. That's not to say it's bad - I'll be very curious to hear all the other tracks and try to work out why they chose this one. It's so slow and dare I say it a bit dreary, it's like the love child of 'Heart-Shaped Bruise' (which I prefer) and 'Pardon Me Madam...'. I only say this cos it's not a public forum, wouldn't spread negative vibes. However, the sound is great, as was Farewell OK and Magnificent Hurt. I still have high hopes for this album!
From the tracks we were lucky enough to hear at the Playback at Ronnie Scott’s, I would say there is no need to worry as I thought they sounded fresh and upbeat and very TYMish.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Neil. wrote:I too am really looking forward to this - but I have to confess I'm surprised at the fact that 'Paint the Red Rose Blue' has been released as a lead track for radio play. We all know Elvis is a fantastic writer of sad songs, but I don't think this one scales his usual heights. That's not to say it's bad - I'll be very curious to hear all the other tracks and try to work out why they chose this one. It's so slow and dare I say it a bit dreary, it's like the love child of 'Heart-Shaped Bruise' (which I prefer) and 'Pardon Me Madam...'. I only say this cos it's not a public forum, wouldn't spread negative vibes. However, the sound is great, as was Farewell OK and Magnificent Hurt. I still have high hopes for this album!
Neil, I felt the same as you when I first heard it. I thought 'wow, this is slow and it's the same riff over and over! After a couple of weeks of repeated listening I find myself drawn back to it over and over, often getting a bit tearful. I started to obsess about when he sings 'paint the red rose...' and when he sings 'turn the red rose...', and why. And the shift from 'what was he to do?' to 'what are we to do?' to 'what is there to do?'

I now think it's a masterpiece, and the very definition of a 'slow grower'!
JPadoo

Post by JPadoo »

Could not agree more. I reached the point about a week or so after it was released where I could not stop listening. One of Elvis’ most beautiful latter day ballads, up there with Suspect My Tears and Isabelle in Tears.
JPadoo

Post by JPadoo »

…As well Byline and The Whirlwind.
jardine

Post by jardine »

JPadoo wrote:…As well Byline and The Whirlwind.
ahh whirlwind, yes...need to go back to paint the red rose. this is when i love this forum. hawk, those lyrics you noted...i heard but i missed. thnks
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Sounds like I need to give it another spin! Thanks for the thoughts, peeps.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Neil. wrote:Sounds like I need to give it another spin! Thanks for the thoughts, peeps.

Took me a while to get into Magnificent Hurt and Farewell OK. I found Paint the red rose blue a bit more immediate on first listen at the playback. Especially when he did the solo version at the piano. Personally I prefer Elvis as a ballad singer. Only just though

As i have said on another topic this album has got to be the best promoted EC record in many a year in the UK. Two prime time TV performances at the very least. Norton is a coup.

It might even chart
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:
Neil. wrote:Sounds like I need to give it another spin! Thanks for the thoughts, peeps.
As I have said on another topic this album has got to be the best promoted EC record in many a year in the UK. Two prime time TV performances at the very least. Norton is a coup.

It might even chart
I'm not sure 'charts' mean a lot these days. Unless you're Adele or Ed Sheeran, when the BBC can run a news story about how amazing it is that their new LP is 'Number One!' In its first week! So you better run out and buy it! How is that a news story and not free advertising, and who is in whose pocket?

Sorry - I'm being facetious. But I would argue that a 'chart placing' means nothing these days. The people who were always going to buy it will still buy it, and the ones who weren't...won't. But I totally agree that in terms of marketing this LP to the ones who were always going to buy it and to the ones who were probably going to buy it (but who don't automatically buy every Elvis LP), the promotion has been excellent.

And yes, agree entirely that, in terms of promoting your product, Norton is the most desirable gig on UK TV right now.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sweetest punch wrote:Great interview: https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/featur ... m=facebook
Superb interview. His love of music and his fascination with telling stories really shine through.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Absolutely. This is a great interview and well worth reading.

I often wonder how he finds the time to do everything but I’m sure glad that he does!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Interview in the Guardian:

The reader interview
Elvis Costello: ‘The OBE is just another bauble in my china cabinet’
Answering readers’ questions, the troubadour recalls inspiring meetings with Neil Young, Fiona Apple and David Chase – and reveals his new music with Burt Bacharach

https://www.google.be/amp/s/amp.theguar ... na-cabinet

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Farewell, OK is available in a few hours: https://youtu.be/eGcbRIX0Fjw
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"Tune in to watch a special interview with Elvis Costello before the premiere of the official lyric video for “Farewell, OK”."

https://elvis-costello.lnk.to/SpecialInterviewEvent
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

And No Coffee Table wrote:"Tune in to watch a special interview with Elvis Costello before the premiere of the official lyric video for “Farewell, OK”."

sweetest punch wrote:Farewell, OK is available in a few hours: https://youtu.be/eGcbRIX0Fjw
Both (on YouTube) are saying 2pm tomorrow in the UK. I already have 'Farewell OK' from a year ago, but the interview could be fun. He's really pushing this one.
GCM

Post by GCM »

Elvis Costello & the Imposters: The Boy Named If review — a return to his raucous, rattling roots
Will Hodgkinson
Friday January 07 2022, 12.01am, The Times
Music
Elvis Costello grapples with the value of romantic thinking versus the realities of getting older
★★★★☆

Most of us find growing up difficult, but it must be particularly hard for rock stars. Becoming an adult generally involves realising, contrary to childhood convictions, that the world does not revolve around you, but when you’re a rock star the world does revolve around you, a small world at least, with audiences, backing musicians and road crew all there because you are. No wonder so many of them are such big babies.

Now Elvis Costello has addressed the situation with an album that “takes us from the last days of a bewildered childhood to that mortifying moment when you are told to stop acting like a child, which for most men (and a few gals) can be any time in the next 50 years”. It’s a surprise nobody has done it sooner.

Whatever Costello’s other childlike tendencies, he does have the work ethic of a proper adult. Since Hey Clockface in 2000, which indulged his love of Seventies singer-songwriters with reflective songs about the nature of time, he has made a French-language version of the album called La Face de Pendule à Coucou then a Spanish-language version of his 1978 breakthrough, This Year’s Model.

Now comes an album that, fittingly for its subject matter, returns to the raucous, rattling sound of Costello’s early years in the late Seventies, where the rootsy traditionalism of pub rock met the spikiness of new wave and the raw thrill of the mid-Sixties beat boom.

The result is songs such as Penelope Halfpenny, driven by Steve Nieve’s swirling Vox Continental organ and not a million miles away from Costello’s unimpeachable classic Pump It Up; and Farewell OK, whose primaeval drums and riotous riffs sound like something the Beatles might have screamed out in Hamburg’s Star Club circa 1962.

The fact that the Beatles were barely out of their teens when they were bashing away in German strip clubs and Costello is a 67-year-old still in thrall to the magic they conjured then, pretty much proves his point about the challenge of growing up.

The Boy Named If is based loosely on the idea of having an imaginary friend, Costello says, “The one you blame for the hearts you break, including your own.” The title track is written from the perspective of this elusive figment of the juvenile mind, threatening to disappear if you step on a crack in the pavement and promising to take you to “magic lantern land” if you keep believing in him.

Costello seems to be grappling with the value of romantic thinking versus the realities of getting older, from the elderly married couple dealing with bereavement on the country-soul ballad Paint the Red Rose Blue to the waitress dreaming of film stardom — and getting a rude awakening — on the sophisticated My Most Beautiful Mistake.

Costello has always weighed up nostalgia against realism. Even when he first emerged in the late Seventies as the bespectacled intellectual of punk, he was forever trying to bottle the lightning of the rock’n’roll that first excited him as a kid in the Sixties. All these years later, he is still trying to do it. With its irrepressible, rambunctious spirit, The Boy Named If is a fine argument for the benefits of staying forever young. (EMI)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://mobile.twitter.com/ElvisCostell ... 8277428224

Elvis Costello
@ElvisCostello
New year, new song - "Farewell, OK" is coming tomorrow! Plus don't miss the YouTube premiere of the new lyric video & special surprise before the event. Tune in at 5:45am PT/1:45pm GMT to watch. Click the bell to set a reminder here: https://elvis-costello.lnk.to/SpecialInterviewEventTW
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.scotsman.com/whats-on/arts- ... ss-3517670

The Scotsman , 7 January 2022

Fiona Sheperd

Elvis Costello has had a fruitful recording run through the pandemic, releasing new albums and EPs (in new languages) and an Armed Forces box set. This latest Imposters album is cut from the same effervescent cloth as Spanish Model, his recent Spanish language re-recording of This Year’s Model.

However, the language here is yarn-spinning – according to Costello, the album’s full title is The Boy Named If (And Other Children’s Stories) and its vinyl edition comes with a hardback book containing illustrated short stories with the same titles as the album tracks.

Costello’s broad theme is the painful transition from childhood to maturity (whenever that might be) and the Imposters come out all guns blazing on raucous rock’n’rollers Farewell, OK and Penelope Halfpenny, the latter reminiscent of acid pen portraits by The Who and The Kinks. Mistook Me For A Friend is a rabble-rousing new wave stomp and the steely title track concerns the imaginary friend blamed for your transgressions.

The aching balladry of Paint the Red Rose Blue provides a contemplative breather before the high-kicking vaudeville flourish of The Man You Love to Hate and Costello is in prime melodramatic mode on The Death of Magic Thinking.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

"Tune in to watch a special interview with Elvis Costello before the premiere of the official lyric video for “Farewell, OK”."

The special interview was an extract from the promo appearance at Ronnie Scotts in Nov. 2021.

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A odd blink-and-you'll-miss it moment in the new video

https://youtu.be/eGcbRIX0Fjw

Along with these in the fade out