Elvis & the Roots, Port Chester (NY), March 12, 2014

Pretty self-explanatory
docinwestchester

Re: Elvis & the Roots, Port Chester (NY), March 12, 2014

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:I have video coming soon.

Yeah, it sounded different in the bigger venue. I think Brooklyn sounded a lot better.
i meant the "feel" of the same songs....so different. tonight was great, Brooklyn GREATER! :lol:

DOC...do me a favor (as i remain without audio here) give a fast listen to MEANTIMES solo last night of solo tour. Saturday it was played bossa nova style. is this the same tempo it was played in November??
Here's the solo version from Morristown:

This is definitely bossa nova style. Same as the Imposters' version in Japan:

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks doc...AGAIN, as i can not LISTEN myself! so is the LP take bossa nova also, just NOT so accentuated in its rhythms?
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:thanks doc...AGAIN, as i can not LISTEN myself! so is the LP take bossa nova also, just NOT so accentuated in its rhythms?
By LP, are you referring to the Karriem Riggins Remix on Wise Up: Thought - Remixes & Reworks?

If so, no. The remix has a different keyboard arrangement, mostly. The live version we just heard will be on YouTube in a few minutes.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

A little disappointing, almost the same exact set list and order as Brooklyn. I was hoping for some different EC songs and maybe one or two of the bonus tracks. I agree with Doc, Brooklyn show sounded much better. The Port Chester crowd was also incredibly rude, constant talking, texting, yelling out during quiet parts of songs. I almost got into three fights telling people to stop talking. Many drunks only there to hear Alison and Pump It Up. Meantimes may have been a remix version, but to my ears it was a disaster, as even EC and Quest seemed to acknowledge when it was over (in fact it seemed like they cut the song short because it got so messed up). I almost regret going because the Brooklyn show was so legendary and this took some of the luster off. Oh well. On the bright side I had an awesome spot right in front of the stage again!

BA I waited for you after the show to give you the Thought CD, but Doc told me you bolted early. PM me your address and I'll mail it to you! Sorry I missed you again.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
docinwestchester

Here's Meantimes (remix) tonight. Actually sounds a lot better on second listen, Mike, especially now that I realize that it's the remix version:

What's he saying to Quest at the end of the clip?
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Can't play the video - says its private
docinwestchester

SoulForHire wrote:Can't play the video - says its private
Fixed that. Should work now.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Was considering schlepping up to PC for this show but, I gotta say, I'm kind of glad I didn't. For one thing, it wasn't very long. For another: It was EXACTLY the same set they did at Brooklyn Bowl in September.

But thirdly: Does anyone feel like these shows have been a missed opportunity, repertoire-wise? With the Roots' sound and, more important, a horn section, seems like it would've been an opportunity to bust out some Get Happy/Punch the Clock stuff. In fact, on one of EC's Fallon appearances a couple years ago, he and the Roots did a killer "Black and White World"--how is that not on these set lists???

Finally: "Detectives," "PLU," Pump It Up," "Alison"...even on these shows??? Meh.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

HOWEVER....Love the no-hat Elvis!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

NEWS FLASH!
burnout (tired) ba strikes again. A CAPPELLA ending of the night was "WALK US UPTOWN" not wake me up. Pardon ANCT!

prior post at page two of this thread amended. hope you captured this as well doc?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Arbogast wrote:Was considering schlepping up to PC for this show but, I gotta say, I'm kind of glad I didn't. For one thing, it wasn't very long. For another: It was EXACTLY the same set they did at Brooklyn Bowl in September.

But thirdly: Does anyone feel like these shows have been a missed opportunity, repertoire-wise? With the Roots' sound and, more important, a horn section, seems like it would've been an opportunity to bust out some Get Happy/Punch the Clock stuff. In fact, on one of EC's Fallon appearances a couple years ago, he and the Roots did a killer "Black and White World"--how is that not on these set lists???

Finally: "Detectives," "PLU," Pump It Up," "Alison"...even on these shows??? Meh.
i agree the set was entirely too similar to six months ago. only replaced REFUSE TO BE SAVED (my fave) with COME THE MEANTIMES and added ALISON!

and you are DEF correct about this: Finally: "Detectives," "PLU," Pump It Up," "Alison"...even on these shows??? Meh.

surely a big handful of Get Happy!! and PUNCH could have been ventured into along with PARTY PARTY and any old soul/funk standards. a James Brown or PRINCE would have worked nicely.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Wow. You weren't kidding when you said "Come the Meantimes" was different from the CD version.

I hope they play "Refuse to be Saved" on at least one of the nights in Vegas. That is probably my favorite on WUG as well.

If I just stare at my calendar, will Saturday come any faster? Just hoping for a torrent to tide me over til then.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Can anyone confirm if Walk Us Uptown was funky and not punky? Can't imagine ?uestlove not playing it funky, but you never know.
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

I did not make the Brooklyn show but travelled from Florida for this and was disappointed . Sound was poor upstairs and the audience particularly in the VIP seats not interested, at least one of the couples needed to get a room. I think Steve was in the upper VIP seats to the right of the stage . I went downstairs for the later songs and it was much better. Still would be great to get an audio of it however to keep the collection intact.

The venue was great however.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

supplydavid wrote:I did not make the Brooklyn show but travelled from Florida for this and was disappointed . Sound was poor upstairs and the audience particularly in the VIP seats not interested, at least one of the couples needed to get a room. I think Steve was in the upper VIP seats to the right of the stage . I went downstairs for the later songs and it was much better. Still would be great to get an audio of it however to keep the collection intact.

The venue was great however.
can't say i am surprised by your disappoint David! of course you will get a copy, of mine if not the better one. but, the show was a definite step DOWN from Brooklyn, which is kind of a shame. they should have UPPED their game and done a handful of different songs. it was admirable, but NOT stupendous. The Roots are an okay band, a step above adequate...but any reverence they acquire is surely overdone. THE IMPOSTERS stomp them on ANY night, and dare i say, ANY genre! the better bass player: Davey. the better keyboard player: Steve; the BETTER DRUMMER: PETE!!!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

SoulForHire wrote:Can anyone confirm if Walk Us Uptown was funky and not punky? Can't imagine ?uestlove not playing it funky, but you never know.
yes...VERY! played as upon LP. maybe funked up a notch with cool intro & ending
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Five pics on Capitol Theatre's Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/capitolthe ... 127363135/

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i got a few goodies i hope to get up at 'the book' tonight. king foyle will share them here and ANCT at the wiki i do imagine! thanks for amending the WALK US UPTOWN finale ANCT...doc: please say you were still rolling for that. Sony was...
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:i got a few goodies i hope to get up at 'the book' tonight. king foyle will share them here and ANCT at the wiki i do imagine! thanks for amending the WALK US UPTOWN finale ANCT...doc: please say you were still rolling for that. Sony was...
I got everything.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

place is VERY conducive to that. would love to SEE the a cappella WALK US UPTOWN, especially when Kirk & Frankie (i think it was) sang it. FUN STUFF!

i put a couple pics up at my fbook page. NOT the work of brotherapostle, but...kinda okay! Benjamin Agostino if anybody wants to find me there! that guy Bob had quite the stories last night Doc. seems he has much we could use around these parts. :wink: i imagine you know how to contact him, yes?
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:place is VERY conducive to that. would love to SEE the a cappella WALK US UPTOWN, especially when Kirk & Frankie (i think it was) sang it. FUN STUFF!

i put a couple pics up at my fbook page. NOT the work of brotherapostle, but...kinda okay! Benjamin Agostino if anybody wants to find me there! that guy Bob had quite the stories last night Doc. seems he has much we could use around these parts. :wink: i imagine you know how to contact him, yes?
I'm putting the ending on YouTube now.

Yeah, Bob is a legend. He did a lot of very important work back in the 80's...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:place is VERY conducive to that. would love to SEE the a cappella WALK US UPTOWN, especially when Kirk & Frankie (i think it was) sang it. FUN STUFF!

yeh, we were at MANY of the same CLASSIC shows, especially BRUCE Darkness NYC 1978 MSG and Palladium, New Years Eve Nassau run 1980 and Meadowlands opening 1981, last night MSG 2000. he's like me, agrees BEST work last 10 years have been DEVILS AND DUST and SEEGER SESSIONS tours! and lots of the important Elvis tours too...Armed Funk 1979 and ENGLISH MUGS SQUEEZE 1981 and EC Almost 82 New Years show too. i think he's got lots of uncirculated things by MANY acts we ALL like...but, he does NOT transfer. maybe with a new computer on my horizon for 2014, i could get VERY busy doing things for all to be able to hear. so, you do have contact info on him? p.s. looking forward to seeing the end from last night, even if i can't hear it. thanks! benny and thanks for last night if i did not say it. i went from last row balcony to first row loge. STOP BUYING EXTRA TICKETS...you too Dave!
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:

yeh, we were at MANY of the same CLASSIC shows, especially BRUCE Darkness NYC 1978 MSG and Palladium, New Years Eve Nassau run 1980 and Meadowlands opening 1981, last night MSG 2000. he's like me, agrees BEST work last 10 years have been DEVILS AND DUST and SEEGER SESSIONS tours! and lots of the important Elvis tours too...Armed Funk 1979 and ENGLISH MUGS SQUEEZE 1981 and EC Almost 82 New Years show too. i think he's got lots of uncirculated things by MANY acts we ALL like...but, he does NOT transfer. maybe with a new computer on my horizon for 2014, i could get VERY busy doing things for all to be able to hear. so, you do have contact info on him? p.s. looking forward to seeing the end from last night, even if i can't hear it. thanks! benny and thanks for last night if i did not say it. i went from last row balcony to first row loge. STOP BUYING EXTRA TICKETS...you too Dave!
I'll PM him about those tapes.
docinwestchester

Fun and games after Alison start at 4:34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yWuR6hFNus#t=4m34s
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Thanks for all the videos, Doc.

It's great to see him do the intro to I Want You like he did at the Brooklyn Bowl. I wonder what about playing with the Roots causes him to play the intro?