I'm 12 years old and OBSESSED with Elvis Costello.

Pretty self-explanatory
elvis_Costello

Re: I'm 12 years old and OBSESSED with Elvis Costello.

Post by elvis_Costello »

:roll:
:mrgreen:
I cant believe I actually chuckled at that.
~ Zoe ~

So in this almost empty gin palace
Through a two-way looking glass
You will see your Alice
<3
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

12 is a great age for obsession, as commented above. For me Elvis was 14/15, first saw him at 15. At 12 it was Bowie. 1976. I'd got into Hunky Dory in 1973 aged 9, but it was in secondary schools from 11 onwards that I was obsessed. This music has lasted me all my life. Enjoy the journey.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

This thread is just adorable.

Welcome, new friend.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

elvis_Costello wrote::roll:
A 12 year old female - I guess I've found my audience :lol:

So who else's music do you like? Beware, getting into Elvis will make you seek out other artists which is a good thing. Some are not for me but he's made me aware of artists I would never have listened to.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
elvis_Costello

Post by elvis_Costello »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:12 is a great age for obsession, as commented above. For me Elvis was 14/15, first saw him at 15. At 12 it was Bowie. 1976. I'd got into Hunky Dory in 1973 aged 9, but it was in secondary schools from 11 onwards that I was obsessed. This music has lasted me all my life. Enjoy the journey.
David Bowie!!!! :mrgreen: I love David Bowie! My second favorite singer. I got into him around 2nd or 3rd grade, one of my best friends got me into him, and I got her into Elvis Costello. Because you know, thats how best friends work.
~ Zoe ~

You will see your Alice
<3
elvis_Costello

Post by elvis_Costello »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
elvis_Costello wrote::roll:
A 12 year old female - I guess I've found my audience :lol:

So who else's music do you like? Beware, getting into Elvis will make you seek out other artists which is a good thing. Some are not for me but he's made me aware of artists I would never have listened to.
David Bowie, Cyndi Lauper, Tori Amos, Queen, Goo Goo Dolls, Blondie, Talking Heads etc.

I mostly like the 80's and classic rock, but I also like alternative a lot too.
~ Zoe ~

You will see your Alice
<3
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

You are far cooler at 12 than I ever was!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
elvis_Costello

Post by elvis_Costello »

Let's see...
When I was like in kindergarten I liked country a lot. Ew. Well then in 1st grade, I became obsessed with Jimmy Buffet and Simon and Garfunkel. in 2nd grade, Elvis Costello and David Bowie. 3rd grade, Tori Amos. 4th grade Elvis Costello again. 5th grade Queen, Cyndi Lauper, etc. 6th grade, all that I listed before. Plus the Beatles. I forgot to mention that. This is the year of the beatles for me. I say this now as I am wearing my "I heart the beatles" shirt.

And the singers I cant stand now are:
The Smiths (Kermit the frog with a nasal infection much?!)
Paul Simon (despite how i liked him in 1st grade)
Stevie Nicks (occasionally. I know all you guys are probably obsessed with her. But her voice is too nasaly. Which is weird to say since I love elvis costello, but whatever.)
Jason Mraz (My mom is obsessed with him. I'm not sure why)
B-52's (I think they were high when they made Rock Lobster.)
and etc.
~ Zoe ~

You will see your Alice
<3
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

i give you two years to develop an undying love of Morrissey and The Smiths that will be your friend and solace until your dying day.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

I doubt Elvis is the biggest Stevie Nicks fan either, he much prefers Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac..as for Morrissey well you can love him or loathe him..I often swing between the two..The Smiths were undoubtedly a fantastic band though.
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

I could never wrap my brain around The Smiths, either. Maybe I just missed my window.

Jason Mraz is insufferable.
KD's music blog
KD's book
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Wow, 12 years old and you remember what you were listening to in the 1st / 2nd grade. You're parents must be pretty cool. At 12, I was more into comedy - SCTV, Saturday Night Live, Johnny Carson. I did like the Beach Boys, Doobie Brothers, Beatles - standard mainstream stuff. Check out The Go-Betweens and The Replacements. Good times! And, sorry, but Paul Simon still rules.
elvis_Costello

Post by elvis_Costello »

Kevin Davis wrote:I could never wrap my brain around The Smiths, either. Maybe I just missed my window.

Jason Mraz is insufferable.
Ugh maybe I will later, but the Smiths are just so...
weird. When I first heard them I bursted out laughing. And Jason Mraz, his songs are so long, and his does that thing wear for like a minute he's just going like "rapapadadada papapapa dadada dadad adda rapapapa dada" You get the idea.
~ Zoe ~

You will see your Alice
<3
elvis_Costello

Post by elvis_Costello »

MOJO wrote:Wow, 12 years old and you remember what you were listening to in the 1st / 2nd grade. You're parents must be pretty cool. At 12, I was more into comedy - SCTV, Saturday Night Live, Johnny Carson. I did like the Beach Boys, Doobie Brothers, Beatles - standard mainstream stuff. Check out The Go-Betweens and The Replacements. Good times! And, sorry, but Paul Simon still rules.
I'll check out the bands you suggested, but for the record, Paul Simon does not rule.
I like his wife though, shes an awesome singer :D
~ Zoe ~

You will see your Alice
<3
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

elvis_Costello wrote:Ugh maybe I will later, but the Smiths are just so... weird.
I'm with Otis on this one. To appreciate The Smiths you need to have been an adolescent, preferably one who has been disappointed in love. It also helps if you've ever spent a wet Tuesday in Salford, or indeed anywhere in the North West of England.

I very much agree that Elvis is a great way to develop a broad taste in music. Once upon a time, someone put together a CD set called "Elvis Costello's Record Collection" which had on it the original versions of songs the Elvis had covered. There were soul artists, country artists, jazz artists, Merseybeat groups, folk singers (like Bob Dylan) and so on and on. The songs are listed here:

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=6&t=6799

There is bound to be something in there you'll like but haven't heard before.

The other way to go is to listen to artists that Elvis has performed with or collaborated with, such as Abba, Burt Bacharach, Chet Baker, The Bangles, Tony Bennett, Solomon Burke, Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris, George Jones, Nick Lowe, Aimee Mann, Paul McCartney, Roy Orbison, The Specials, Squeeze, Richard Thompson, Allen Toussaint, Lucinda Williams, Sting, Russell Crowe etc.... (although on second thoughts, strike Russell Crowe and Sting).

So much great music out there that you'll soon be wondering why you ever bothered with Jason Mraz...

MOOT
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

Or just buy all of these: http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/elvis_costello.htm

(rob a bank first :D )

Man out of Time wrote:It also helps if you've ever spent a wet Tuesday in Salford
There are other kinds of Tuesday in Salford? Good cotton weaving weather.
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

When I was 12 years old It was Bowie, Roxy Music and T.Rex that first fired my imagination, prevoiusly I had been interested in Sparks and Wizzard. My Costello phase didn't come until I left school and went to college and when I first heard Red Shoes that was it. This was 1977 mind you.
laurwaar

Post by laurwaar »

Congratulations you should be proud, most kids are obsessed with one direction or justin bieber, i'm turning 14 soon and elvis costello is my favourite singer, I love his music so much :mrgreen: glad i'm not the only youngster who is obsessed with mr costello
Sometimes I almost feel, just like a human being
when i was cruel

Post by when i was cruel »

Although I don't like to admit it... At age 17 I am subscribed to the 'Barenaked Ladies' message too. :-P Atta be for EC though, for you. I had started around your age :-)
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Here's a true test of your fandom, young sir: What are your feelings on The Juliet Letters and Painted From Memory?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain