He's acting innocent and proud still you know what he's after
Like a matador with his pork sword, while we all die of laughter
In his turquoise pajamas and motorcycle hat
I hope you're happy now because you'll soon put pay to that
If I knew then what I know now I never loved you anyhow
And I hope you're happy now
And I hope you’re happy now

Declan McManus

The recent addition of a member to the board family has helped to remind me of this wonderful song, through his/her usage of it as a board name. It has always been to my ears a proud member of that sub class of pop songs that deal with soured relationships and their repercussions for all parties involved.

Declan has always seemed to excel in a type of verbal emphasis that points out the oppositions in his lyric. I am consistently alerted to his thought processes which run on the energy of opposition- words which are well paired with feelings. This song creates a firm antithesis between a vindictive and rude speaker and the other object of affection- ‘fine figure of a man’. The ‘he’ has attributes, a handsomeness and intimate knowledge of the ‘secret places’ and all the ‘where and how’ which the speaker no longer possesses. This opposition creates a debate: should the object of affection be happier with the ‘handsome’one’s affections and supposed intentions or with the sad recriminations of the speaker? This question and answer reverberates throughout the lyric. This debate is emphasized by a strong verbal pairing in the stanzas-knowing, acting, laughing, hurting, etc. The rivalry set up between the ‘handsome’ one and the ‘I’ is consistently directed by these verbal pairings and they subtly assist in directing how the listener should lean in his/her empathy.

It is a neat trick of lyric writing and it always leaves me wondering if what the speaker says of the ‘handsome’ one’s intentions is equally true of his own intentions-despite what he states in the verses and chorus.

The pop sound of the melody has always contrasted nicely with the lyrical content. The propulsive drumming and bass line drive home the contradiction at the heart of the lyric and the surprise insertion toward the middle of mock wedding bells through the electric organ within the original album recording is a nice touch. I have always liked it when this song shows up in a set list. Its insertion always seems to liven up a show and Declan seems to take a particular pleasure in sinking his vocal teeth into the words:

http://youtu.be/qrmCavTOzvY

It is a song that has consistently stayed with me since it first appeared in 1986 on stage.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
HopeYou'reHappyNow

Re: "He's a fine figure of a man and handsome too"

Post by HopeYou'reHappyNow »

It's certainly one of my favourites, both musically and lyrically. I concur with the remark that Elvis sounds great when he has something to sink his "vocal teeth" into and these sneering lines are Elvis at his biting best. Like many of Elvis' "break up" songs, I can (sadly) relate to his tone, attitude and venom, but the humour in the lyrics disarms any true sinister intent.

Sheer joy when he plays it live.
"But look at yourself
You'll see you're still so young
You haven't earned the weariness
That sounds so jaded on your tongue"
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

He was playing this song live as far back as 1984 - I saw him do it at one of his first solo shows in Harrogate.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Did it with the band in !984 show in Belfast (and introduced it "our new single")
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Always loved this song

Seems to open most Spinning shows, however the inclusion of the word "turquoise" makes it a contender for the Colour Jackpot.

Topically on the final day of the London Olympics, this shows EC as a gold medal lyricist - can't be many other wordsmiths who would even dream of using this word.

Colin Top Balcony
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Echo and the Bunnymen "Turquoise days"?

Donovan?
krm

Post by krm »

sonic youth and Camper van Beethoven....
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Mikeh wrote:He was playing this song live as far back as 1984 - I saw him do it at one of his first solo shows in Harrogate.
he did at one of my 1984 shows too...RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL i think. but, wasn't it a bit slower? got to dig out the boot!
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

bronxapostle wrote:
Mikeh wrote:He was playing this song live as far back as 1984 - I saw him do it at one of his first solo shows in Harrogate.
he did at one of my 1984 shows too...RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL i think. but, wasn't it a bit slower? got to dig out the boot!
He played it that entire tour (Aug/Sept. 1984) -- including his appearance on the Tonight Show in September.
It was indeed slower -- same arrangement as the take on the GBCW bonus disc, I believe.

That he decided to play an unreleased song on his first ever appearance on the Tonight Show was just mind-blowing at the time.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Dr. Luther wrote:
He played it that entire tour (Aug/Sept. 1984) -- including his appearance on the Tonight Show in September.
It was indeed slower -- same arrangement as the take on the GBCW bonus disc, I believe.

That he decided to play an unreleased song on his first ever appearance on the Tonight Show was just mind-blowing at the time.
Entire appearance here. Be sure to watch the interview with Joan Rivers in between the 2 songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dJH5IqUxrw
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Dr. Luther wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:

DAMN!!! that is so much markedly slower that it deserves a different "take" altogether in my charting of songs performed...how'd i forget this one?
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Here's a decent cover of it:
krm

Post by krm »

Entire appearance here. Be sure to watch the interview with Joan Rivers in between the 2 songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dJH5IqUxrw[/quote]

One of the greatest TV moments w EC ever!!!! The Attractions at their very very best!
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

I've always found this to be one of EC's funniest songs - a total withering put-down from beginning to end, the apotheosis of his ventures into the 'songs of spite' idiom. The final verse in particular - matador with his pork sword (!), turquoise PJs and motorcycle hat - is comically over-the-top.

As always with such songs, the question arises of whether it's more about the narrator's psyche than the figures being described or addressed. In the end, though, I'm not certain that there's all that much to discuss. It seems to me a fairly straight-ahead rant, its basic dynamics having entered the mainstream of pop music with this level of directness courtsey of 'Positively 4th Street.' The song offers wonderful (if wryly amusing) catharsis for our seething resentments but seems to provide little real insight into the characters involved; in this, it's much less subtle than, say, 'Alison' or 'I Want You.' This isn't a criticism. The song isn't trying to be especially subtle or insightful - it's playing a different game, and likely has endured in EC's setlists because of all his excursions into spite, this one might be the most purely entertaining.

An interesting choice, Chris, for one of your great entries on specific songs. Usually you go with EC's more suave and subtle efforts - nice to see that you're also an afficionado of his rave-ups!
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Well PD- as that noted 'popologist' of the late 50s stated-'rave on it's a crazy feeling'!!!! :lol:
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Poor Deportee wrote:As always with such songs, the question arises of whether it's more about the narrator's psyche than the figures being described or addressed. In the end, though, I'm not certain that there's all that much to discuss. It seems to me a fairly straight-ahead rant, its basic dynamics having entered the mainstream of pop music with this level of directness courtsey of 'Positively 4th Street.' The song offers wonderful (if wryly amusing) catharsis for our seething resentments but seems to provide little real insight into the characters involved; in this, it's much less subtle than, say, 'Alison' or 'I Want You.' This isn't a criticism. The song isn't trying to be especially subtle or insightful - it's playing a different game, and likely has endured in EC's setlists because of all his excursions into spite, this one might be the most purely entertaining.
On that 1984 tour (when the song debuted), if I recall correctly, he introduced it with something along the lines of:

"This is one about mindless spite."
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Top balcony wrote:... "turquoise" - can't be many other wordsmiths who would even dream of using this word.
krm wrote:sonic youth and Camper van Beethoven....
Ulster Boy wrote:Echo and the Bunnymen "Turquoise days"?
Donovan?
Thanks guys - said there couldn't be many : 4 isn't so many.

Colin Top Balcony ( standing well back in anticipation of a turquoise avalanche of replies)