Elvis plays Eindhoven, June 7 2012

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis plays Eindhoven, June 7 2012

Post by johnfoyle »

Even without a translation this seems to say Elvis has a 'new' date for the Eindhoven show. No mentions of Imposters/'Spinning etc. so will this be a solo one?

http://www.podiuminfo.nl/news/17023/Nie ... _Costello/

Nieuwe datum voor Elvis Costello

21/11/2011 -

Het concert van Elvis Costello in het Muziekgebouw Eindhoven is verzet naar 7 juni 2012. Eerder werd zijn optreden uitgesteld door familieomstandigheden. Hij trad wel op in de Melkweg te Amsterdam.

Kaarten voor het optreden kosten 49 euro en zijn reeds verkrijgbaar. Tickets voor het afgelaste concert blijven ook geldig.
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis plays Eindhoven, June 7 2012

Post by Man out of Time »

Het concert van Elvis Costello in het Muziekgebouw Eindhoven is verzet naar 7 juni 2012. Eerder werd zijn optreden uitgesteld door familieomstandigheden. Hij trad wel op in de Melkweg te Amsterdam.

Kaarten voor het optreden kosten 49 euro en zijn reeds verkrijgbaar. Tickets voor het afgelaste concert blijven ook geldig.
According to Google Translate:

"The Elvis Costello concert in the Music Building Eindhoven has been rescheduled to June 7, 2012. Previously been delayed due to family circumstances occur. He performed well in the Melkweg in Amsterdam.

Tickets for the performance cost 49 euros and are already available. Tickets for the canceled concerts remain valid."

Will my ticket for the cancelled show (18 November) get me into the show in June 2011;, do I need to rebook; if I use the ticket for the cancelled show, will I find someone sitting in "my " seat with a ticket dated June 2012 for the same seat? Questions...

MOOT
Man out of Time

"A close encounter with Elvis Costello

Popmuziek | Eindhoven Airport Zaal | do 07 juni 2012 | 20.15 uur
Normaal tarief: € 49,00 juni 07 Elvis Costello verzet naar 7 juni 2012!

Het concert van Elvis Costello is verzet naar 7 juni 2012. Eerder werd zijn concert uitgesteld door familieomstandigheden.

Rijk oeuvre
Tijdens de intieme solo-optredens zal Costello een combinatie van nieuw werk en klassiekers ten gehore brengen. Het meest recente wapenfeit van Costello is zijn album ‘National Ransom’, dat in november 2010 verscheen en dat hij in samenwerking met producer en meervoudig Grammy-winnaar T-Bone Burnett maakte. Op 25 maart verscheen het verzamelalbum: ‘Pomp & Pout - The Universal Years’ in Nederland. Op het album staan tracks van zijn voorgaande Universal albums: ‘Painted from Memory’ met Burt Bacharach (1998), ‘When I Was Cruel’ (2002), ‘The Delivery Man’ (2004), ‘The River in Reverse’ met Allen Toussaint 2006 en ‘Momofuku’ (2008).

De imposante carrière van Elvis Costello bestrijkt nu al meer dan 35 jaar en is muzikaal zeer divers: van Britse new wave tot klassiek, jazz en americana. Naast eigen werk heeft hij vele samenwerkingen op zijn naam staan: van Burt Bacharach tot het Brodsky Quartet en van Madness tot Paul McCartney. Costello kreeg diverse onderscheidingen, waaronder een Nederlandse Edison Award, een BAFTA en een Grammy.

Betaal niet te veel voor uw ticket!
In Nederland zijn er helaas enkele bedrijven die concertkaarten opkopen en deze voor een veel hogere prijs verkopen via websites die er betrouwbaar uitzien. Inmiddels is er een wetsvoorstel aangenomen om de doorverkoop van concertkaarten aan banden te leggen, maar helaas bestaan deze websites nog steeds.
We adviseren u om in de toekomst u tickets via onze website te kopen, dan weet u zeker dat u niet teveel betaalt.
Meer informatie vindt u op http://www.weetwaarjekoopt.nl"

http://www.muziekgebouweindhoven.nl/det ... s-costello

This suggests that it is a solo show, rather than an Imposters show but that may be just a legacy of the fact that this is copied from the material used to promote the postponed solo show from 18 November 2011.

MOOT
Man out of Time

Received this e-mail today :

"Beste Elvis Costello fan,

Het A close encounter with... concert van Elvis Costello is verzet naar 7 juni 2012. Eerder werd zijn concert op 18 november 2011 uitgesteld door familieomstandigheden. Kaartjes voor dat concert zijn nog steeds geldig voor het nieuwe concert.

Daarnaast hebben onze vrienden van het Muziekgebouw een mooie deal, speciaal voor Elvis Costello bezoekers. Door de actiecode ‘elvis’ in te voeren bij het kopen van kaartjes voor het Naked Song festival (16-06-12), krijg je namelijk €15,- korting! Zie de website van het Muziekgebouw voor meer info en bestel daar gelijk je tickets.

A close encounter with… Elvis Costello | Do. 7 juni 2012 | Muziekgebouw Eindhoven | Aanvang: 20.15 u.| Zaal open: 19:30 u. | € 49,00

Vriendelijke groet,

Peter Beijk
Marketing & PR | Effenaar

Google translate renders this thus:

Dear Elvis Costello fan,

The A close encounter with ... Elvis Costello concert has been rescheduled to June 7, 2012. Earlier, his concert on November 18, 2011 postponed by family circumstances. Tickets for the concert are still valid for the new concert.

In addition, our friends from the Muziekgebouw a nice deal, especially for Elvis Costello visitors. Through the promotional code 'Elvis' to enter when buying tickets for the Naked Song Festival (12/06/16), you will receive € 15, - discount! See the website of the Muziekgebouw for more info and order your tickets right there.

A close encounter with ... Elvis Costello | Do. June 7, 2012 | Muziekgebouw Eindhoven | Time: 20.15 pm | Doors open: 19:30 pm | € 49,00

Sincerely,

peter Beijk
Marketing & PR | Effenaar

That is clearer... MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Well it's at the same venue although sweetest punch said he received an email saying the show was cancelled and not postponed. Perhaps there was some misinformation somewhere along the line.

It would be interesting if he's slotted in a solo show within the Songbook Tour.

Unfortunately a June date might make it difficult for me to go.
I and my mobile/cellphone posted this on the Dublin thread yesterday.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
Man out of Time

I plan to, obviously, not least to make up for missing what would have been my fifth wheel show at The Anvil, but also to see what he is minded to play in the solo show format.

Will he pick up where he left off last November (when his father's illness caused the cancellation of this date and others)? At that time he had Larkin Poe in support, so was tailoring the set list to include some collaborations. This time it seems he really is solo. Will it be a set list more like this:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -07_Berlin

with a mix of songs from National Ransom, and Secret, Profane and Sugar Cane, or what? Will there be new songs or new versions of old favourites? All to look forward to, provided his voice holds out.

MOOT
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

I've still got my ticket from Novembers cancelled/anulled Cirque Royale gig, do you think that would be honoured at the re-scheduled gig later this week ?
Man out of Time

According to the venue website:

"Nous sommes au regret de vous annoncer qu'Elvis Costello est contraint de reporter sa tournée européenne, son père souffrant de problèmes de santé. Le concert du jeudi 17 novembre est donc repoussé au 31 mai 2012. Les tickets restent valables pour la nouvelle date."

http://www.cirque-royal.org/activite/el ... o-31052012

So it looks like you are good to go, but may be best to double check with the venue, before travelling, given the cost involved if you are starting from where I think you are...

MOOT
Man out of Time

In relation to the Eindhoven show, I e-mailed the box office to check that the ticket from the November show would be valid for the rescheduled date. They replied:

"U kunt dit kaartje inderdaad voor de andere datum gebruiken. Het is wel vrije plaatskeuze geworden, dus u zoekt zelf een plaats uit als u de zaal betreedt.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Medewerkers Ticketbureau
Muziekgebouw Eindhoven "

So it will be worth turning up early if you have a ticket for the original date and want to use that on 7 June. I am not sure how I will be sure that a seat is free, but possession is nine tenths of the law I always find.

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Man out of Time

and another preview here:

http://www.effenaar.nl/agenda/6905

The promoter seems to be this smaller venue, but the show itself is in the larger concert hall near the airport. At least that is what I think is happening. Flights booked, so really looking forward to this one. Will Steve appear, or will it really be Elvis solo....

Anyone else going to be there?

MOOT
Man out of Time

Setlist:

1 When I Paint My Masterpiece
2 Red Shoes
3 Good Year For The Roses
4 New Amsterdam/ You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
5 Last Boat Leaving
6 Brilliant Mistake
7 Bullets For The New-Born King
8 She's Pulling Out The Pin
9 Everyday I Write The Book
10 All Or Nothing At All
11 She
12 Watching The Detectives
13 Quiet About It (Jesse Winchester Cover)
14 Our Little Angel
15 Church Underground
16 Suit Of Lights
17 Dr Watson I Presume
18 My Three Sons
-- Encore 1 --
19 A Slow Drag With Josephine
20 Jimmie Standing In The Rain / Say Brother Can You Spare A Dime
21 For More Tears ( piano)
22 Shipbuilding (piano)
23 National Ransom #9
--Encore 2--
24 Who's The Meanest Gal Josephine
25 I Want You (with snippets of I Say A Little Prayer).
26 What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
27 All These Strangers

Start time 20:17
End time 22:35

EC was solo having bid farewell to Steve and the others in Amsterdam. This was a downbeat show, with Elvis exploring songs of loss and exile and talking about his father.

After the show
I spoke to Elvis about dates in September in the US, but he clearly has no idea where he is being booked to play or when.

More when I get to a laptop.

MOOT
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Thanks MOOT, looking forward to your report. Really interesting set list, Last Boat Leaving and Our Little Angel very intriguing selections to name but two. I'd really like to have seen one of these post Imps and Wheel 'come down' solo shows.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

There were a few good choices in this set.

I hope I get to see another full Napoleon Solo show this year.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

I Want You -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x04WP6kcJQ

Snippets:
Brilliant Mistake -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGtohq_ujzg
Watching The Detectives -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDCBvm5Ggo8
Who's The Meanest Gal In Town Josephine -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtHzNTFcU1o
Man out of Time

Ticket for original date for this concert on 18 November 2011.
Eindhoven ticket
Eindhoven ticket
2012-06-07 Eindhoven ticket 02 reduced.jpeg (29.87 KiB) Viewed 19176 times
Stage set list - first page
Eindhoven setlist first page
Eindhoven setlist first page
Eindhoven set list 01. reduced jpg.jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 19176 times
Stage set list - second page
Eindhoven setlist second page
Eindhoven setlist second page
Eindhoven setlist 02 reduced.jpg (23.73 KiB) Viewed 19176 times
MOOT
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Thanks Moot. Be very interested to hear your reflections on the gig if any spring to mind. I like the way Elvis gives himself some either/or options in the set list. From interviews over the years we know the feeling throughout a concert is quite important to him to either guide or go with. As always he puts the effort in, which is why he's such a truly great performer. The Thomson biography makes the assertion that he set out to have the career his father didn't have, that Ross forewent his bebop leanings to provide a stable income for his family. Coupled with that I also noticed Elvis remarking that his father 'knew how to put on a show' in one of the recent German promo interviews. I'm wondering if / how his father's passing has caused him to reflect on his own career and where he goes with it now, as Elvis perhaps seemed to be implying when he spoke of 'doubt' as well as 'sorrow' in his web post at the end of the UK leg of the tour. I'm guessing coming back to play in the UK was quite challenging and healing for him in that respect.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

For More Tears -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J25hwD3iYZ4
A Slow Drag With Josephine / Jimmie Standing In The Rain -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9byHjQtQ4zI
Azmuda wrote:I Want You -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x04WP6kcJQ

Snippets:
Brilliant Mistake -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGtohq_ujzg
Watching The Detectives -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDCBvm5Ggo8
Who's The Meanest Gal In Town Josephine -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtHzNTFcU1o
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Nice to see Elvis on piano. Wish it happened more often.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

scielle wrote:Nice to see Elvis on piano. Wish it happened more often.
Here's a good one. It's almost a prop, but he looks cool as hell here:

https://vimeo.com/37997479
Stations of the Cross with The Roots
Man out of Time

It was Mark Twain who wrote, "Distance lends enchantment to the view". so flying to Eindhoven for this show should have made it more enchanting. It was an odd experience to be in a foreign country where I don't speak any of the language, just to see Elvis. On the back of the Revolver Tour, Elvis was playing catch up for three solo shows cancelled from last November when his father was seriously ill. That fact was key to the mood of this show.

The venue was tucked inside a modern three storey shopping centre, rather as if you transplanted Symphony Hall in Birmingham into the Bullring, or the Sage was moved across the river to Eldon Square. Happily the box office staff spoke English and were able to confirm that my ticket for the November date was valid for this rescheduled show and (surprisingly) that all the seating was unreserved. There followed something of a scramble when the doors opened as those assembled walked quickly to bag the best seats. The auditorium had a large area in front of the tiered seating which was empty. This allowed you a choice of standing or sitting. I chose the latter, as having walked round the town for the preceding two hours. It was a perfect venue for a rock and roll show where Elvis could have the crowd (or some of it) on their feet from the start and dancing. Yet, this was not to be, and despite quite a number of audience members wearing their red shoes, there was almost no dancing.

The set list (above) shows that very early in the show, we were treated to a selection of what Elvis described as "Songs of Exile" - "New Amsterdam" and "Last Boat Leaving" . He was clearly in contemplative mood talking about his father. In particular he mentioned how his father had played at The Royal Variety Performance, but was at pains to say that "we respected the Royals" in those days. Quite a contrast to 2012, where whilst Sir Elton and Sir Paul were on stage at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee concert, plain Declan McManus was singing verses from the Pistols' God Save The Queen (as he did here during "The Church Underground". He told the story of his father's colour blindness in the introduction to "Suit of Lights", and how he would not be able to tell the difference between a green waistcoat and an orange one, which was a problem in some clubs in Glasgow.

The Jesse Winchester song "Quiet About It" was a new one for me, and certainly not one to get everyone bopping. "Dr Watson I presume" was played to mark the passing of Dr Watson, and the first part of the show rounded off with a sombre "My Three Sons" which suggested Elvis thinking about family and different generations.

When introducing "Jimmie Standing In The Rain", Elvis started with his familiar patter about the music halls of North West England, but soon realised that none of the Dutch audience had a clue who Tommy Trinder was. His reference to the "poet laureate - John Cooper Clarke" similarly passed straight over the heads of most of those gathered. Elvis seemed short on ideas as to how to put "Jimmie" in context for a European audience.

He did succeed in contextualising "She's Pulling Out The Pin" referring to a young girl who might work in a club or bar "somewhere near the airport", and a young man on a bicycle riding round and round the city not sure what he was looking for - who's going to end up a "mess".

Only "PLU" had the crowd really dancing, and that was quickly followed by a more downbeat "All These Strangers" - not really one to send everyone smiling into the night. After the show, whereas any UK venue I know would hustle you out of the fire exit and into the night whilst calling time in the bars, the audience stayed behind and drank on in the venue and ate and chatted. This left me as the only person at the stage door, other than two guys with a white van, loading guitars to take to the airport to fly to Stockholm. I could not help noticing that whilst a few flight cases were marked "Elvis Costello - London" more had "New York" on them as a home destination. Does Elvis have a lock up in the Bronx where he keeps his gear between tours, rather than leaving it lying round the house?

When he did come out, I grabbed a quick word with him as he sat in his limo. I asked about the forthcoming Californian dates (of which only two had been announced at this point). He seemed baffled that an Englishman at the stage door of a Dutch concert hall should be asking about California. The gist of his reply was that he had people who booked dates for him, and at some point they would get round to telling him where he would be playing, but it was not a process he got very involved in, until it came time to turn up and play.

I waved him farewell as he disappeared (alone) into the night, presumably to join his guitars on a flight to Sweden.

MOOT
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

That just might be the best evocation of a concert I have read on this site. You placed me in seats and put the music in my ears and mind. Thank you. Not the usual tiresome and banal remembrances in this type of post like 'he was awesome' or 'he's a genius...... etc'. You made it seem a very personal and distinctive experience and that is quite difficult to do. I appreciate your sharing.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Seconded. Paints a vivid picture of an unusual EC show. Great stuff.