Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Pretty self-explanatory
Jeremy Dylan

Re: Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

The wonderful actor Clive Merrison is an EC fan. He enjoyed 'Penny Lane' from the White House gig.
littletriggers

TAPES n TAPES

Post by littletriggers »

Just a few pix on flickr of some tapes a one time labour of love belonging to Rich Howels now housed in there very own box already for the skip !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/littletriggers/?saved=1
Has everyone got their copy of 23-04-11 from burn wood tonite blog, a pretty good recording.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks 'Triggers! I've just, uh, borrowed some of them for wiki....

-example-

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... %28late%29
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Cool, John, don't suppose you could list the other links when you have a minute ! Did you you get that Burn Wood EC download, it's also a very good read the whole blog.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Yesterday the writer Jennifer Egan was announced as the 2011 recipient of the Pulitzer Prize in Fiction for her book, A Visit From The Goon Squad.

Many of the accounts have linked the book's title with Elvis' song. As far back, however, as last October Ms Egan has denied this -

http://mediasearch.wnyc.org/m/34720113/ ... d-time.htm

14 Oct 2010

(extract)

" You know I actually was not thinking of the Elvis Costello though I would not an all suggest that that wasn't part of it because I grew up in the seventies and certainly listen to him. It was mysterious title ... I felt that I knew the book would be called that but I wasn't sure what it would mean."

I finished reading the book the other day. Once you've clued into its multi-prespective, time shift format it's a entertaining read. The fact that the format is the books primary feature does rather feed into the whole style-over-substance argument. Like the recent Franzen book it keeps being compared too it could be seen as a damning account of the decline of U.S. society, family life etc. Since, however, both concepts have always seemed over rated too me I was left somewhat unmoved. But then I am so hard too please!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://specialdoseofsadness.blogspot.co ... -2007.html

May 5, 2011
The Killer (2007)

The Killer
is the debut feature from former Cahiers du Cinema critic Cédric Anger. It is a dark and atmospheric psychological thriller set in Paris, but not the romantic city of lights we are accustomed to seeing on film, this one is grey and dirty and gritty.

Anger delivers a strong first effort with fine storytelling, pacing, and cinematography. There are some very well crafted scenes of tension where the paranoia of the main character really comes through, and I was also impressed by the look and feel of the night time scenes. The dialog is minimal and the acting is superb, especially the complex performances by Gilbert Melki as the target Léo, and Grégoire Colin as the hitman, but also a very good supporting role by Mélanie Laurent as a call girl hired to distract him.

I also have to mention that the film has a very cool soundtrack featuring several songs from Devo, and my highlight, a wonderful intimate scene set to Elvis Costello's sublime classic Alison.

http://www.evokativefilms.com/en/store/product/8

http://www.amazon.ca/tueur-Killer-Gilbe ... 199&sr=1-2
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... inter.html

A Visit From the Goon Squad Author Jennifer Egan on Reaping Awards and Dodging Literary Feuds

5/11/11

(extract)

But your title — that is an Elvis Costello reference, right?
It was not a conscious one, in the sense that I really fell in love with that title before there even was a book. At an earlier point, when I thought it would be a story collection of some kind, I was consciously interested in people who felt like they had fallen through the cracks of mainstream life in some way. So that’s sort of an idea. So I didn’t know that it was actually a book that would have anything to do with the music industry, which is why I don’t think the Elvis Costello allusion was conscious. Of course I listened to that song, but I wasn’t a huge Elvis Costello fan.

Nobody in the book ever says "a visit from the goon squad," but two characters do say "time is a goon." Is time a goon in the Elvis song?
I don’t know, I doubt it. Actually there’s a rap group called Goon Squad now. I did stumble upon that when I wanted to make sure someone else had not called their book “A Visit From the Goon Squad.” If you Google “Goon Squad,” that’s probably what you’ll find first.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Conor O'Brien of the Villagers gives Elvis yet another shout-out - My Life In Music, Uncut , June '11
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Hugh Laurie ( promoting his new album) , The Word , June '11

(extract)

But to have Allen Toussaint just standing behind me like a headmaster invigilating exams! And the man is a god. He is the Dalai Lama of New Orleans music. To have any dealings with him - to be in the same room with him - is a big thing. But to actually be performing with him, or for him to give a wink or a nod or shake my hand is...

...a papal blessing?

It is! It really is.

You'd met him before, during the making of The River In Reverse...

I knew a bloke who knew Elvis, and he said, "Elvis said we can go along and we can sit in the studio in LA." So I went and sat in; they were doing Freedom For The Stallion. Elvis sang it and they did it with the whole band -a big band. Dozen people playing. And they came into the control room and they listened to a couple of takes. And Elvis asked Allen what he thought. And Allen said in that very professorial wav, "I think at the end it should feel as if the voice has been lifted to heaven on the wings of the organ. The organ should be like an angel lifting the voice to heaven..." And Elvis turned to the engineer and said, “ Allen thinks the organ should be louder." A great moment!
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

The Laurie record is great - produed by Joe Henry, with the incredible Jay Bellarose on drums.

And I absolutely love that RIR anecdote.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

johnfoyle wrote:Hugh Laurie ( promoting his new album) , The Word , June '11

(extract)

But to have Allen Toussaint just standing behind me like a headmaster invigilating exams! And the man is a god. He is the Dalai Lama of New Orleans music. To have any dealings with him - to be in the same room with him - is a big thing. But to actually be performing with him, or for him to give a wink or a nod or shake my hand is...

...a papal blessing?

It is! It really is.

You'd met him before, during the making of The River In Reverse...

I knew a bloke who knew Elvis, and he said, "Elvis said we can go along and we can sit in the studio in LA." So I went and sat in; they were doing Freedom For The Stallion. Elvis sang it and they did it with the whole band -a big band. Dozen people playing. And they came into the control room and they listened to a couple of takes. And Elvis asked Allen what he thought. And Allen said in that very professorial wav, "I think at the end it should feel as if the voice has been lifted to heaven on the wings of the organ. The organ should be like an angel lifting the voice to heaven..." And Elvis turned to the engineer and said, “ Allen thinks the organ should be louder." A great moment!
Do you have a link to the whole interview by any chance?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Do you have a link to the whole interview by any chance?
I scanned this from the print edition. I'm not sure if The Word post their content online.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Jill tells listserv-

Here's a link to the Go-Go dancer's webpage...she's SF's own Kitty!

http://www.lustyladysf.com/lusties/kitt ... -mcmuffin/

Research purposes etc.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.eadt.co.uk/entertainment/mus ... x_1_893573

Bury Festival looks set to reach its apex

Andrew Clarke

May 13, 2011

The Bury St Edmunds Festival may be a couple of days shorter this year but there are no fewer events. New venues have provided an added focus to the event which continues to be the launch pad for Suffolk’s festival season.

Also on the jazz front Songs For Modern Lovers (Tues May 24) has Laura Zakiari being inspired by Frank Sinatra’s classic Capital album Songs For Swinging Lovers. She has rearranged the original tracks and has complemented them with jazz arrangements of contemporary love songs from a diverse range of artists including Sam Brown, Joe Jackson and Elvis Costello

https://www.theapex.co.uk/whats-on/even ... s/tickets/

http://laurazakian.com/

Laura e-mails -

I'm singing 'Baby Plays Around' - not very adventurous, but fits with the theme and I love singing it!
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sat May 14, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Don't know if anyone else spotted it here but just seen Randy Newman on Jools Holland show this week.

In the middle of a conversation about Gershwin, when asked about who else Newman rates as a songwriter, Newman replies without hesitation...."Elvis Costello"
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

The imposter wrote:Don't know if anyone else spotted it here but just seen Randy Newman on Jools Holland show this week.

In the middle of a conversation about Gershwin, when asked about who else Newman rates as a songwriter, Newman replies without hesitation...."Elvis Costello"
Nice. Coming from him, that's a tremendous compliment.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

There are several thousand jokes on Twitter about Elvis contributing to Latvia's Eurovision entry.

I don't really recommend watching, but if you do, be sure to catch "Elvis" rapping two minutes in.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Back Page Headline in today's Metro (a free newspaper given away in London and most of the UK).

I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea says Kaka
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

And No Coffee Table wrote:There are several thousand jokes on Twitter about Elvis contributing to Latvia's Eurovision entry.

I don't really recommend watching, but if you do, be sure to catch "Elvis" rapping two minutes in.

no wonder it lost ha ha.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just found this -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 24_Norwich

It's June 1981 and Elvis 'n co. play the The University of East Anglia Summer Ball ....or you could watch Music Videos in the TV Room and it was a pity the strawberries weren't ripe yet! Simpler times.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Fri May 20, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

johnfoyle wrote:Just found this -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 24_Norwich

It's June 1981 and Elvis 'n co. play the The University of East Anglia Summer Ball ....or you could watch Music Videos in the TV Room and it was a pity the strawberries were'nt ripe yet! Simpler times.
Is that Morris Day and The Time at 9:45? Not a bad warm-up before the EC show at 11.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

A not-so-convincing Elvis Costello impression from Greg Proops in the first sketch (though the host demands an encore). Not sure if this link will work for non-Comcast customers.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/Drew-Ca ... -22/videos
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.pajiba.com/seriously_random_ ... n-film.php

June 6, 2011

Dustin Rowles

(extract)

Here’s one from the annals of amusing anecdotes: It’s difficult to underscore what a huge Elvis Costello fan I am. To own everything that Elvis Costello has recorded is to possess your own miniature music library. An iPhone cannot even hold it all. His music has also played central to many of those momentous occasions in my life, and when I began this very site, I worked under a pseudonym briefly, Will Declan (the last name borrowed from Elvis Costello’s real first name). Those that know me also know that I’ve attached his name to my, er, legacy in an even more significant way.

In June 2005,
while I was on my honeymoon on Florence, Italy, I had the fortunate misfortune of meeting Elvis Costello briefly. My wife and I were sitting in an outdoor cafe when who but Mr. Costello would stumble upon that very cafe and sit behind us by himself with a Hans Christian Andersen book. It was kismet. To meet Elvis Costello for the first time. In Italy. On my honeymoon. But, I’m not one to bug celebrities, even those I dote upon, so I left him alone. My wife did, however, take a several pictures of me drinking wine just so there’d be glimpses of a corner of Costello’s face over my shoulder.

However, as we were about to leave the cafe — Elvis Costello unmolested — a group of college kids from North Carolina sat down at a table beside us. A few minutes into their meal, the table began to whisper, “Hey! It’s that guy from Austin Powers.” My face grew flush. I tried to will them silent with no luck. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the moment in my life when I was most ashamed of being an American. Here’s Elvis Costello sitting behind me, one of the great musicians in the history of rock music, and this table of college students wants to take a picture with “that guy from Austin Powers.”

Of course, while they were bothering him, I didn’t let the opportunity pass by to get in on some of the photographs myself and, eventually, I even introduced myself and nervously said something so humiliating that I can’t bear to repeat it.