Rough Guide To Playlists

Pretty self-explanatory
laughingcrow

Rough Guide To Playlists

Post by laughingcrow »

Anyone got the Rough Guide To Playlists? Surprisingly good book, perfect little stocking filler £5.99 from all good bookshops....the Costello entry is by Andrew Rosenberg...("His prolific, genre-hopping career has delved into the country, classical, jazz and R&B, but to many he remains the prototypical angry young man in glasses")

1. NO ACTION
2. BEYOND BELIEF
3. KING HORSE
4. I WANT YOU
5. INVISIBLE MAN
6. POISONED ROSE
7. (IDWTGT) CHELSEA
8. ACCIDENTS WILL HAPPEN
9. TOLEDO
10. COULDN'T CALL IT UNEXPECTED 4

Looks like a pretty good overview...

Thoughts, etc?
selfmademug

Re: Rough Guide To Playlists

Post by selfmademug »

laughingcrow wrote:
5. INVISIBLE MAN
6. POISONED ROSE
Nice to see a catchy obscurity from PTC, and of course I have always thought Poisoned Rose a masterpiece.

I like these lists that are not meant to be The Essential Tracks-- just a fun sampler that inspire folks to dig deeper. That sounds like a great little book; I can think of a few folks I' like to get that for if it's available here yet.

PS, it is available in the US: The Rough Guides Book of Playlists
by Mark Ellingham. Don't forget to order it through the board's Amazon link however!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

PS, it is available in the US: The Rough Guides Book of Playlists
by Mark Ellingham. Don't forget to order it through the board's Amazon link however!
U.S.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/184353 ... s&v=glance

U.K.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 93-0206048
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

It is, as I say, a surprisingly good book..they also include EC's Extreme Restraint - basically the Top 10 songs from the Vanity Fair Top 500 article (rather than the Starbucks 'choice' list - oh yeah, I finally got a copy of that thanks to a travelling coffee consumptive).

EC crops up in the Stiff Records playlist (WTD), Protest songs playlist (Tramp the dirt down) and something else I can't remember...most decent artists are here, you name it...