Pretty self-explanatory
bambooneedle

New EC album release predictions

Post by bambooneedle »

Anyone care to make any? Then you can see how right you were. Like, mine are:

release date: Mid February
style: TDM Part 2
A hit single? Yes.
guests: the vibration I'm getting is Nick Lowe and somebody young.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

That would be wonderful indeed, if we had any news that he'd been recording. Do we have any news that he's been recording?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

just the odd psychic flash.

Nick Lowe, remember who sent your kid that silver harmonica!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I get the feeling that we will not see another pop album from EC until late 2006, at the very earliest. He seems to be more and more involved in projects like the The Secret Arias and orchestral concerts.

I'd be very surprised if his next project sounded anything like TDM or WIWC. Expect the unexpected. I'm putting money on an EC hip-hop album! :wink:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

wardo68 wrote:Do we have any news that he's been recording?
No that I know of, it's pure guesswork. I'm intuiting that in spare moments in the midst of the Il Sogno shows he'll be tapping back into something diametrically opposite in nature again...

Wait, I've got another prediction-- because the moon is coming over Capricorn-- EC won't tour TDM Part II, because he will be afflicted with a serious illness...
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Release date - October 2006
Style - agree with bamboo that it could be TDM part II (which I wouldn't be that happy about as I'm not a big fan of the album); it might even be more countryfied than TDM
Hit single - would be nice, but I doubt it
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Isn't his next album the live album with the Metropole Orchestra (recorded at the North Sea Jazz Festival in 2004), that is going to be released in early 2006? (Or doesn't a live album count?)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Indeed it is supposed to be, SPunch. Got any predictions about that or another new EC album release?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

I think his tour with Emmylou Harris was a great succes. They could easily cut an album of 'country-covers' together (with Love Hurts, Masterpiece, Flowersbouquet, Wild Horses, I Still Miss Someone, ...).

But I think that his next real album (with new songs) will come in 2007. That year, he will be in the popmusic business for 30 years and that's something to celebrate with a new album and a big tour. There are a lot of unreleased songs: Burnt Sugar, Suspect My Tears, I Dreamed Of My Old Love Tonight, Dirty Rotten Shame, Couldn't You Keep That To Yourself, Unwanted Number, River In Reverse,...
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

I predict a foray into an unexplored style for Elvis . . . a disco / dance club new release sometime in April . . . collaborating with Kylie Minoque, and produced by Benny or Bjorn for Abba. It will enjoy immediate Top-20 status because the break-out, highly danceable hit will feature a controversial MTV video with a hot looking scantily clad, big bossomed girl gyrating on top of Elvis' antique grand piano while stuffing her face with a new 52 oz. Hardees Thickburger (which, in a strange bit of marketing genius, will also be released on the same day as the album).
:lol:
migdd

Post by migdd »

I agree the it's doubtful we will see a new EC proper release in 2006 but I would say the odds are pretty good he will record with the Imposters again in 2006 for a 2007 release. However, Secret Songs is also slated for release in 2007 so who knows if he will repeat the TDM/Il Sogno trick of releasing two contrasting albums simultaneously!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I predict the The Juliet Letters reissue will come out next year.

Some other EC-related predictions for 2006:

- EC will continue to market himself via movie soundtracks. But he will avoid soppy ballads in the near future.

- He will give away some songs for other people to record.

- He will appear in some charity thing at some point.

- He will probably appear on some television shows in 2006.

- His dress sense won't change radically.

- The Imposters will not break up in 2006.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Emotional Toothpaste wrote:I predict a foray into an unexplored style for Elvis . . . a disco / dance club new release sometime in April . . . collaborating with Kylie Minoque, and produced by Benny or Bjorn for Abba. It will enjoy immediate Top-20 status because the break-out, highly danceable hit will feature a controversial MTV video with a hot looking scantily clad, big bossomed girl gyrating on top of Elvis' antique grand piano while stuffing her face with a new 52 oz. Hardees Thickburger (which, in a strange bit of marketing genius, will also be released on the same day as the album).
:lol:
There's one flaw in your plan (just the one mind :lol: :wink: ). Elvis would never help market the Hardee's Thickburger. Unless it was veggie of course. Apart from that you could be spot on :lol:

And Bamboo - controversial as ever!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

In 2006, Elvis will help market artificial fur products, like Elton's wig.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Elvis will appear on I'm a celebrity get me out of here, will strike up a lasting friendship with fellow contestant Samantha Fox and they will go to record an Abba covers album together.
signed with love and vicious kisses
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

so lacklustre wrote:Elvis will appear on I'm a celebrity get me out of here, will strike up a lasting friendship with fellow contestant Samantha Fox and they will go to record an Abba covers album together.
:shock: Mamma Mia!!!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
alexv

Post by alexv »

I know he's already done a semi-jazz thing with North, but all this recent activity with Strayhorn songs, Joe Lovano, McPharland, and visits to Harlem jazz soirees, has me thinking that maybe some kind of jazz project is next. Our boy has a habit of turning his obsessions into career moves.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I think he's gonna do something with Allen Toussaint. :wink:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Yeah, I'm thinking Toussaint, as well.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Toussaint?
Nah, it would never happen!
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

There are so many remnants of soul in almost every recording before and since Get Happy. Forget the horns on PTC...there is always a strong soulful reference. Even in the middle of Il Sogno, he seems to throw a subtle reference to "On Broadway" (popularized but not written by George Benson).

With the whole Memphis/Toussaint/New Orleans interest, I wouldn't be surprised if the unreleased catalogue isn't being populated with some very soulful (even Gospel influenced with backing choirs) songs that would sort of be a non-pop second to GH and a true homage to American Music. TDM isn't blues. He might want to stretch into real blues, transitioning from the Mississippi delta up the river into Chicago. Hey, Miles spent some time there refining his sound. And there is certainly some momentum coming from the old lady...
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I predict EC will invite McCartney to the new album sessions.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Bruce Thomas will release his first solo album in 2006 entitled The Tao of Attractions. The disc will sport a computer-enhanced photo of Bruce Lee on the sleeve, an allusion to the cover version of the classic "Kung-Fu Fighting" contained on the disc. The CD will get mixed reviews, pointing mainly to Bruce's lack of rhythm but magnificent soloing. Pete Thomas and Steve Nieve do not make an appearance on the CD.

Am I on the right thread?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

release date: June
style: Jazzy blue collaboration with Mrs Costello
A hit single? Erm..no
guests: Elvis Costello
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I predict there'll be a box set with as yet unreleased Costello rarities and previously released material at some timely point, probably something similar to this:

- 1 disc skimming over Costello's most popular songs plus a few from WIWC, North & TDM and a new song or two - that should make it different enough from other EC Best Ofs.

- 1 disc of reissue bonus disc selections that whets appetites generally for the reissues if you don't already have them which would be most people.

- 1 or 2 discs of as yet unreleased or very rare stuff. EC could fill several discs with unreleased live, studio, demo, soundtrack songs, so more of a 'must get' than any attempt to release 'the last few worthy unreleased songs to date' or anything like that (don't think that would ever happen anyway).