Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I'm still sick. Is there a service single people can call to have someone come and pamper them? Actually I could've used that even when I was married! :?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Ever get that ball of stress in the back of your neck where you feel like you could bend steel with your fingers?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Hope you feel better soon Muggy - eat lots of ice cream!
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

selfmademug wrote:I'm still sick. Is there a service single people can call to have someone come and pamper them? Actually I could've used that even when I was married! :?
What about Boys 'R Us?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

El Vez wrote:Ever get that ball of stress in the back of your neck where you feel like you could bend steel with your fingers?
Right at the top of the neck, at the base of the skull? I get a really tight feverish feeling there occassionally.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

verbal gymnastics wrote: What about Boys 'R Us?
I called them and I got an automated voice saying I was number two in line and could expect a waiting time of approximately fifteen years. They said my call was important to them, but I'm not sure I believe it... :roll:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

How long until some nutcase in Crawford, Texas attacks Cindy Sheehan? Despicable piece by Christopher Hitchens on Slate.com this morning, calling her "hysterical". Yeah, you miserable drunkard, she only lost a son. What's she got to complain about? What a fuckwit.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Play "A Message to You Rudy" by the Specials for a 5-year old. He/she will dig it - fact.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Not as much as 'Hey Fatty Bum-Bum'!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

selfmademug wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote: What about Boys 'R Us?
I called them and I got an automated voice saying I was number two in line and could expect a waiting time of approximately fifteen years. They said my call was important to them, but I'm not sure I believe it... :roll:
Everyone knows you're number 1. Perhaps they're experiencing a high volume of calls at this time.

Failing that perhaps you should go down to the store and pick something out yourself :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Lay's Dill Pickle potato chips taste better than the name would lead you to believe.

mood swung

Post by mood swung »

+

even better!

I like 'em with ketchup too!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:even better!
True. You do get that cool, crisp crunch, but the pickle chips aren't bad if you don't have a jar in the fridge.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Am I the only one who has dreams that you're awake and can't move or speak? I had another one, and it was terrifying--my boyfriend says I almost kicked him out of bed.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

That's a familiar dream, though not of late. You must be full of deep anxiety.

Wan light surrounds my heart.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

bambooneedle wrote:
El Vez wrote:Ever get that ball of stress in the back of your neck where you feel like you could bend steel with your fingers?
Right at the top of the neck, at the base of the skull? I get a really tight feverish feeling there occassionally.
...which is no surprise as the adrenal gland is there and it has an undoubtable relation to levels of stress. I probably was experiencing a form of glandular fever.
Ghost of Ray

Post by Ghost of Ray »

The adrenal gland is at the apical pole of the kidney, down around the mid to lower back. It is a source of epinephrine, and its endocrine function places this 'stress' chemical into the general circulation. The tension in the neck region is only related to adrenal endocrine output to the degree that the individual holds tension in the head/neck/shoulders region. Epinephrine can induce these muscles to contract in preparation for flight or flight, but there is nothing specific about the action of the adrenals, or its neurohumeral endocrine output, on tension in any specific area of the body.

I counsel on stress management. Unfortunately, I have failed my course many times.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I was wrong; it's called the pituitary gland, the one at the base of the skull, right? In any case, it controls all other endoctrine glands like the adrenal glands by the hormones it produces. If the pituitary gland is not functioning optimally might you feel pain at the back of the neck and feel very stressed or exhausted?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Watched The Brown Bunny last night. Woof. I had no idea that Vincent Gallo was such a fan of MST3K staple Manos: Hands of Fate (Manos is "hands" in Spanish so the movie is actually Hands: Hands of Fate) because, just like with Manos, three-quarters of Bunny is just him driving down various highways, looking pensive in that insufferable GQ way. I kept thinking "Is this one of Soderbergh's jokes or something?" I really, really liked Buffalo '66 but this was quite possible the worst film ever made by someone who might be a major talent.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

bambooneedle wrote:I was wrong; it's called the pituitary gland, the one at the base of the skull, right?
No. Your pituitary is deep in your brain, roughly behind your eyes and between your ears. I know cause I had to have mine scanned for tumors about eight years ago; long story but all was and is well.
Ghost of Ray

Post by Ghost of Ray »

The pituitary is located just south of the Thalamus, a huge sensory nucleus in the midbrain. It resides just north of the hard palette of the roof of the mouth...thus, BRAINFREEZE occurs when the Pituitary tries to thermoregulate after too much ice-cream causes a sudden thermal drop.

While the pituitary and the hypothalamus mediate a tremendous amount of the more primal functions of the human body (and thus, affect human behaviour...See the Rene DesCartes "Mind-Body Problem) it is not the source of the pain that you describe. In general, the pain is secondary to muscle tension and/or alterations in cerebral blood flow inducing headaches that can radiate into the neck and shoulders.

The pituitary adn hypothalamus are incredible gatekeepers and keymasters of the body. You are right that they are proximal to the source of your pain, but they are not DIRECTLY the source of it.

Interestingly enough, by inserting needles made of bamboo into the sexual satiety center of the hypothalamus you can induce a grown man to hump a Laz-Y-Boy Recliner through orgasm all the way to unconsciousness.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Ghost of Ray, you don't post nearly often enough.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Ghost of Ray wrote:Interestingly enough, by inserting needles made of bamboo into the sexual satiety center of the hypothalamus you can induce a grown man to hump a Laz-Y-Boy Recliner through orgasm all the way to unconsciousness.
:shock:
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Why do all my anecdotes begin with "So, I was watching the director's cut of Pootie Tang....."
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I have a copy of Pootie Tang. I'm disappointed that there is no commentary or deleted scenes, just a music video.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain