Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Jackson Monk wrote:JOSH ROUSE!!!! 8) 8)

Thank you to BC, Bad Amb and WSS for bringing this genius to my attention. Nashville hasn't left my CD player in 48 hours and I have sent off for 1972 post haste.

One of my favourite 3 albums of the past year...........already.
He really is as good as this post suggests!

As for Rufus' debut, it's harder work than his other albums, but once it has clicked it reveals its charms. Some lovely tunes and delightfully complex melodies. I echo the positive comments about this album from Mike Boom.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Thank you to BC, Bad Amb and WSS for bringing this genius to my attention. Nashville hasn't left my CD player in 48 hours and I have sent off for 1972 post haste.

Glad you enjoy it, Jackson! That's one of the things I love about this board.. we're consistantly turning each other on to good music.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Nashville really is great. A lot sunnier than Under Cold Blue Stars, which is also terrific if you are inclined to explore his other albums, Jackson.

I'll put in a good word for the new Pernice Brothers disc, Discover A Lovelier You, as well. I had this and the Josh Rouse disc playing in my car this weekend and you can't go wrong with either.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

selfmademug wrote:I'm still utterly stuck on the Eels discs.... love it love it love it
Yep...love it too muggsy :D
corruptio optimi pessima
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

me too :D

daisies of the galaxy is my fave after second listens but that will probably change
What this world needs is more silly men.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Replacement bank card arrived and I spent the day at home, and in anticipation of finally getting my £60 payola for the work Fantasy Football league as justification:

Ry Cooder - Chavez Ravine
Don and Ron - Destination Unknown -(both £8.75 off CD-WOW)

Bowie - Stage
Scritti Politti - Early
(+ Club date, all from Play for good prices)

That'll keep me going until I go on a Fopp-spree and aim to get 6 or so at a £5 a go.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Any Saint Etienne fans on here? I see that their latest album, Tales From Turnpike House, is unfortunately only available as an import in the US, but the reviews have been very positive.

I loved their previous disc Finisterre, and from further back Fox Base Alpha and Tiger Bay.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Any Saint Etienne fans on here? I see that their latest album, Tales From Turnpike House, is unfortunately only available as an import in the US, but the reviews have been very positive.

I loved their previous disc Finisterre, and from further back Fox Base Alpha and Tiger Bay.
It's a wonderful record, potentially their best. Lovely, summery melodies, great stories told in the lyrics and Cracknell's voice is perfect. The bonus 'kids' EP is rather fun too.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Bad Ambassador wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Any Saint Etienne fans on here? I see that their latest album, Tales From Turnpike House, is unfortunately only available as an import in the US, but the reviews have been very positive.

It's a wonderful record, potentially their best. Lovely, summery melodies, great stories told in the lyrics and Cracknell's voice is perfect. The bonus 'kids' EP is rather fun too.
Thanks Ambassador! Luckily a good friend is visiting London on business in July. I'll have to ask if he can pick me up a copy while he's over there.
Otis Westinghouse

Have you tried CD-WOW? They ship from Hong Kong, cheap, quick, reliable, and I suspect they will happily send it to you. I had no problem getting the new Ron S + Don Kerr LP, supposedly only available in Sweden, though they do say not released till next Monday.

Milk Bottle Symphony from the latest Word sample CD is very sweet. A little too sweet perhaps, but nice to hear.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Have you tried CD-WOW? They ship from Hong Kong, cheap, quick, reliable, and I suspect they will happily send it to you. I had no problem getting the new Ron S + Don Kerr LP, supposedly only available in Sweden, though they do say not released till next Monday.

Milk Bottle Symphony from the latest Word sample CD is very sweet. A little too sweet perhaps, but nice to hear.
Thanks Otis - I'll take a look.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

John Hiatt's Master Of Disaster, just out this week. I've been through it just a couple times, but so far I can say the band sounds great (I believe they are members of the North Mississippi All-Stars, though they aren't credited as such), the songs are great, but oh my, I'm worried about his voice. He's always sounded gravelly, yes, but here he sounds a little weak and anemic, and dare I say it, old. The title track is very, very good, with a great saxophone.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Just bought the new Stephen Malkmus...
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Although I can't really afford it, being in a drunken state last night I ordered Dury's New Boots & Panties and Mr. Love Pants. Hiatt's Bring the Family, Nick Drake's Pink Moon and Morrisson's Astral Weeks, based on recommendations rateyourmusic.com had given me.

I've never heard any of these before (not to my knowledge at least ;)), but they only cost 20£ together so it's not like I'm going to die if I don't like them (but I have a feeling I will).
Otis Westinghouse

Can't comment on Hiatt or Mr Love Pants, but the others are classics, and Astral Weeks is an incredible record, deserving of its rather cliched status in the perennial top 10s of all time (though in recent years it's dropped a bit by the wayside to make way for OK Computer, Oasis and Nevermind, etc. I defy anyone with good taste, i.e. all COstello fans, not to be amazed by its brilliance. Not only are the songs and vocals amazing, the musical arrangements are incredible. It was recorded incredibly quickly, a couple of days or something. Mosty of it was arranged on the spot. Brilliant jazz musicians who could just fashion something amazing on the spot.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Well, I have had ample opportunity to listen to Beck's newest, Guero, and it is a wonderful record, filled with delicious hooks that you can sink your teeth into after only a few listens. Make no mistake, this is Odelay Part II, imho, and that ain't bad at all. The II means more of the sound that was so infectious on Odelay, but it is also tighter and incorporates some of the newer sounds that he has brought forward in the last decade.

I really like Beck Guero, and recommend it heartily if you liked Odelay.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Surprise belated birthday gift from my brother today:

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, it's Morning.

Just listening to it now. Like it a lot so far.
corruptio optimi pessima
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

A very good album indeed. I couldn't get "Another Travelin' Song" off me head for quite some time.

And try their Digital Ash In A Digital Urn released on the very same day back in January. Less country-flavoured, darker and more electronic (though not as much as some reviews would have you believe) but quite good as well.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I finally managed to find Beck's Mellow Gold cheap today. I've wanted it for a long time but I avoid buying cds at full price, but today I finally found a cheap copy, new too.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My buddy Tom came up to the old homestead yesterday and brought a big shopping bag full of CDs for me to, uh, listen to:

Old 97's Fight Songs
Rufus Wainwright S/T
The Jayhawks Hollywood Town Hall
Decemberists Castaways And Cutouts
Sondre Lerche Two Way Monologue
Willie Nelson Teatro
The National Alligator

and a few others.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Just picked up Spoon's Gimme Fiction and B&S's Push the Barman to Open Old Wounds. Now all I need is Demon Days to be up to date with all my faves.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:My buddy Tom came up to the old homestead yesterday and brought a big shopping bag full of CDs for me to, uh, listen to:

Old 97's Fight Songs
Rufus Wainwright S/T
The Jayhawks Hollywood Town Hall
Decemberists Castaways And Cutouts
Sondre Lerche Two Way Monologue
Willie Nelson Teatro
The National Alligator

and a few others.
I wish I had a friend like that!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Not all at one time, but at least since the last time I posted to this thread:

Get Behind Me Satan - White Stripes
Be - Common
Songs For Silverman - Ben Folds
Guero - Beck
Stand-up Comic - Woody Allen
Guilded Palace of Sin/Burrito Deluxe - Flying Burrito Brothers
GP/Grievous Angel - Gram Parsons
At Folsom Prison - Johnny Cash
Otis Blue - Otis Redding
Melody AM - Royksopp
For Sleepyheads Only - Flunk
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I like it, although so far not as much as Rockin' the Suburbs. But I feel like its one thats going to keep growing on me ... Right now "Jesusland" is a particular favorite, and "Late" is also pretty great ...
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

shatterproof wrote:How do you like Songs for Silverman? I've always liked Ben Folds, but for some reason haven't picked this one up yet.
British stores are already selling it cheap - my local HMV had the limited edition for £7.99. It's very good, by the way, excellent bonus DVD too.